2012-2013 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what percent of OOS people usually get the secondary?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Finally got a secondary today! :thumbup::thumbup: hang in there those of you who haven't gotten it yet.

Finally got a secondary today! :thumbup::thumbup: hang in there those of you who haven't gotten it yet.

Congrats! I hope I get mine today. This is my absolute dream school. I've been hanging out with the JMP program students, and the program seems AMAZING.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome--those of you getting secondaries, are you OOS?

Awesome--those of you getting secondaries, are you OOS?

I did a quick count on the last page and 6/9 people were in state, 2/9 people didn't have the state listed, and 1 person was OOS for sure.

OOS. AMCAS submitted 6/9. AMCAS verified 6/21. UCSF received primary application 7/9. 3.94 cGPA. 4.0 sGPA. 35 MCAT. Still no secondary invite. :/

Does anyone have any idea about the proportion of people they interview/reject post-secondary?

Does anyone have any idea about the proportion of people they interview/reject post-secondary?

I remember seeing somewhere that they receive ~5,000 applicants and send secondaries to ~1,500. You could probably check the MSAR for number of interviews/acceptances. However, I could be totally wrong I don't know where I saw these numbers or why I'm so sure it's associated with UCSF and not some other school so take it with a grain of salt :laugh:

I remember seeing somewhere that they receive ~5,000 applicants and send secondaries to ~1,500. You could probably check the MSAR for number of interviews/acceptances. However, I could be totally wrong I don't know where I saw these numbers or why I'm so sure it's associated with UCSF and not some other school so take it with a grain of salt :laugh:

You're right. This is from the FAQ on the school's page:

http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/faqs/#secondaryapplications

Secondaries to about 1500 students, and interviews to about 500 students. Yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for secondaries in general (I did apply to UCSF, waiting on AMCAS verification and rounding up information for secondaries). When the essay is promptless (like, give us more information), what is the norm to submit? A 'why this school' essay or a 'this is why I'm a good candidate essay' or something like a personal statement part II?

Secondary invite. AMCAS verified 7/17, invite received the same day.

Last edited:
Secondary Invite. 3.8 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA. 33R MCAT. In-state.

Does anyone know/presume that UCSF adcoms will read PRIME-US essays? or will they get separated and considered completely separate? In other words, does writing prime essays, legitimately, influence your chances for an interview/acceptance for the MD program?

I do know the PRIME process itself, that if you are accepted to the MD program, THEN they screen for PRIME interviews in march-may...

Also, what do you think about a short first essay, like 150 words (the optional activities one)?

Last edited:
Does anyone know/presume that UCSF adcoms will read PRIME-US essays? or will they get separated and considered completely separate? In other words, does writing prime essays, legitimately, influence your chances for an interview/acceptance for the MD program?

I do know the PRIME process itself, that if you are accepted to the MD program, THEN they screen for PRIME interviews in march-may...

Also, what do you think about a short first essay, like 150 words (the optional activities one)?

I honestly don't know if I am going to write anything for the first essay... I feel as if AMCAS already covered it all. What additional info are they looking for? I'm filling out JMP and PRIME, so crossing my fingers that the adcom will see those too.

they don't open their own "portal" to receive LOR's from specific students until they actually request a secondary from those specific students. it's not like, just b/c you had the LOR's sent in before the secondary invite came, that the secondaries were piling up on their desk. they just see a little indicator near their electronic file on whomever that the LOR's are or are not in. it's not a worry.

Submitted! Lets see who can tell me that those PRIME essays were not a beast! This one took me ALL day yesterday to write...
Hopefully they get read by the ADCOMS

CodeRedDew - did you also receive the application received e-mail today?

Submitted! Lets see who can tell me that those PRIME essays were not a beast! This one took me ALL day yesterday to write...
Hopefully they get read by the ADCOMS

glad to see you got a secondary :)

Got mine today too, and I was verified on 6/26. It seems like they take their time... it seems rather random. 3.72cGPA, 35MCAT

In total, 1500/7400 get secondaries (according to Jana, who works in the office). But I don't know the statistics for OOS.

For you all that got secondaries, did you get it the same time/day you got the application received email? I ask because when I got the secondary last year they came the same day, and this year I only got the received email today.

For you all that got secondaries, did you get it the same time/day you got the application received email? I ask because when I got the secondary last year they came the same day, and this year I only got the received email today.

Got mine together

Ahhh I feel like they're going down the list GPA-wise and handing out invites...my GPA's lower than everyone else here who's gotten an invite (better MCAT though!) I got the AMCAS received email last week and I've been refreshing the status page like crazy...starting to worry! :(

Ahhh I feel like they're going down the list GPA-wise and handing out invites...my GPA's lower than everyone else here who's gotten an invite (better MCAT though!) I got the AMCAS received email last week and I've been refreshing the status page like crazy...starting to worry! :(

Give it time; it's still really early in in the cycle. I'm still waiting on a bunch of secondaries from schools that have already sent them out too. No need to worry yet!

I just received mine today with a submitted primary of 6/5. I have roughly a 3.6 and Mid 30s mcat which I don't believe is stellar. Hang in there buddy.

Thanks for the encouragement :) man @2010calbear your stats are really similar to mine! This process can be so unnerving its driving me crazy. And congrats on the secondary to both of you!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

7/20/12: Secondary received (along with AMCAS received email).

7/11/12: AMCAS verified.

3.78c/3.75s; 33; In state.

That's encouraging CalBear! I have similar stats. Thanks for posting.

Not true! My GPA is really strong while my MCAT score is not quite as impressive, and it took a while for me to get my secondary.

Not true! My GPA is really strong while my MCAT score is not quite as impressive, and it took a while for me to get my secondary.

Thanks BigBear! How long did it take between your AMCAS received email and secondary invite? I think I'm freaking out these days because I have a break waiting for some secondaries from slower schools :)

Secondary received late yesterday.

3.94c/3.91s; 32; OOS

Got the email saying my status had changed, so I thought I had been rejected pre-secondary. I'm definitely not getting my hopes up about this school. :rolleyes:
Swartzlehman said:
Got the secondary! Yeahhhhhhhhh, anyone putting anything down for the additional comments section??
I was wondering the same thing. As of right now, I'm not planning on adding anything

Last edited:
3.76 science / 3.87 overall / 34R MCAT. OOS

Got the received email on the 10th, no secondary since then. Should I lose hope? :(

I received the secondary email about 4 days after I received the 'application is being reviewed' email.

Sent from my iPhone

OOS, 3.95, 34, received notification that they had my AMCAS on 7/11; no secondary yet. any hope?

AMCAS received on 7/17...still waiting as well! Hope something comes this week....

So I called the Admissions Office and they said that they look at the whole app before sending out secondaries & that there are no statistics that will get you an "auto invite."

Basically they're going through thousands of [entire] apps so that's probably why it takes so darn long!

& Congrats to those with secondaries, they obviously really like those granted secondaries because they really look at the whole application (unlike other schools such as UCSD, which auto-screens in people with decent stats and then looks thoroughly through the rest to decide who else deserves a secondary)

Everyone keep your heads up! & Just know that it takes time :)

Finally submitted my secondary! I don't know why I didn't hop on this sooner as the secondary was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. Sigh, the life of a procrastinator lol

Applied: July 24th

Secondary Received: July 27th

Feeling: Jimmies unrustled

Secondary this morning! I got the AMCAS complete email on 7/10.

Congratulations!

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind me asking, do you mean you got the 'AMCAS Verified' email from the AMCAS service or the UCSF 'AMCAS Received' email when you say you were complete on 7/10?

Thanks!

Congratulations!

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind me asking, do you mean you got the 'AMCAS Verified' email from the AMCAS service or the UCSF 'AMCAS Received' email when you say you were complete on 7/10?

Thanks!

I was verified in June, AMCAS submitted to schools on 6/29, so it was the 'AMCAS Received' email from UCSF on 7/10. Sorry for the confusion

Edit - Also, I'm IS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.