2012-2013 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your current status actually say "under review" or does it say "secondary submitted"? I submitted 7/21 and never received a "complete" email or anything like that, just one saying that my secondary app had been received.

EDIT: Same goes for anyone else who has submitted?

Oh I should clarify. I still haven't received a secondary! They're still reviewing my AMCAS :( Been waiting almost a month now. On that note, anyone still waiting to receive a secondary who's also IS, reapplicant? UCSF you're my dream school! I'm interesting! I promise! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does your current status actually say "under review" or does it say "secondary submitted"? I submitted 7/21 and never received a "complete" email or anything like that, just one saying that my secondary app had been received.

EDIT: Same goes for anyone else who has submitted?

Same here, it just says "secondary submitted". I've been complete since 7/18. They do note on the status page that the next time our status will be updated will be for the II or rejection, so I assumed this was normal.

oh em gee hating this wait for a secondary

hope my app didnt already get sent to the circular file D:

Members don't see this ad :)
Received Secondary Invite Today
AMCAS Received 7/12
Instate 36, 3.9+

what's everyone writing in the option essay box? I don't have too much to update on since it's only been a few months since my primary--anyone doing "why UCSF"?

what's everyone writing in the option essay box? I don't have too much to update on since it's only been a few months since my primary--anyone doing "why UCSF"?

I had an update which I tied into an experience I forgot to list on my AMCAS, so it turned into an essay expressing another dimension of myself. If I hadn't had the update, probably would have left it blank.

I don't think the "why UCSF" essay is necessary. They already know they're boss.

according to last year's thread, we should be expecting interview invites sometime this week :xf:

according to last year's thread, we should be expecting interview invites sometime this week :xf:

Oh man, another reason to compulsively check my email inbox.

Still, I'm not expecting much from UCSF...

If you don't get an interview invite, then I doubt any of us have a chance, lol (even with your OOS status). :) You're mdapps profile is incredible.

If you don't get an interview invite, then I doubt any of us have a chance, lol (even with your OOS status). :) You're mdapps profile is incredible.

Hehe that's not true, admissions committees see different strengths in different applicants. I appreciate your kind words though :)

Hehe that's not true, admissions committees see different strengths in different applicants. I appreciate your kind words though :)

i agree but a 4.0/41 will get you very far in this med school process :) looks like all your hard work has finally paid off!

Members don't see this ad :)
still no secondary since 7/12... no rejection on portal yet. is ucsf just slow about these things?

still no secondary since 7/12... no rejection on portal yet. is ucsf just slow about these things?

I think if you don't get an "auto" review, they read through your entire primary app. I've been waiting since 7/17. Few years ago I got a secondary almost 2 months after AMCAS received.

Sure hope it comes soon though. Can't help but feel like I'm going to be behind the curve if I don't get a secondary soon

Got screened out at UCSF today so no secondary for me. Totally expecting to get rejected outright and knew I had no chance at UCSF, but I love San Francisco so much that I just wanted to put in an app there. Good luck to everyone else!

Got screened out at UCSF today so no secondary for me. Totally expecting to get rejected outright and knew I had no chance at UCSF, but I love San Francisco so much that I just wanted to put in an app there. Good luck to everyone else!

Me too! Can't say it was unexpected at all, still stings though :( Good luck to all those moving forward!

Last year, I believe first interview invites went out on the 15th of August...but that was a monday.

I would say based on that, the SOONEST interview invites could POSSIBLY go out would be August 20th.

Me too! Can't say it was unexpected at all, still stings though :( Good luck to all those moving forward!

Yeah, was kind of hoping to get a secondary just so I could feel a little more valued, but I got an MD interview today from another school so that definitely more than made up for it!

Yeah, was kind of hoping to get a secondary just so I could feel a little more valued, but I got an MD interview today from another school so that definitely more than made up for it!
Congratz on your other II. How did you find out you got screened out pre-secondary? Did you receive an email? My status hasn't changed from "AMCAS data received" since early July...

Last year, I believe first interview invites went out on the 15th of August...but that was a monday.

I would say based on that, the SOONEST interview invites could POSSIBLY go out would be August 20th.

That seems to be the case for most schools, either Friday or Monday. I've heard schools like to give out IIs on Fridays so they don't have to deal with the immense amount of phone calls and emails until Monday.

That seems to be the case for most schools, either Friday or Monday. I've heard schools like to give out IIs on Fridays so they don't have to deal with the immense amount of phone calls and emails until Monday.

I get all my interview invites after the office is closed.

This makes perfect sense.

Congratz on your other II. How did you find out you got screened out pre-secondary? Did you receive an email? My status hasn't changed from "AMCAS data received" since early July...

I checked the application status website, and there was a letter in PDF format informing me that I had been rejected. A few hours later, I got an email saying that my status changed, but I already knew what it was about since I had checked the website earlier.

I think if you don't get an "auto" review, they read through your entire primary app. I've been waiting since 7/17. Few years ago I got a secondary almost 2 months after AMCAS received.

Sure hope it comes soon though. Can't help but feel like I'm going to be behind the curve if I don't get a secondary soon

Any idea on how the "auto review" works? I would assume it would have to be based on stats, but I got my secondary last year along with the amcas received, and this year amcas received but no secondary yet.

Any idea on how the "auto review" works? I would assume it would have to be based on stats, but I got my secondary last year along with the amcas received, and this year amcas received but no secondary yet.

UCSF claims that they don't have an "auto review," in the true computer-generated sense that other schools have. Apparently they actually read through each application before granting a secondary.

Just thought I'd mention that my AMCAS verification went through two days ago. Today I got an email from UCSF that they received my application and an email that my status had changed at the same time. I got a secondary invite, and i must admit that I love the fact that their secondary fee is only 60$.

any updates about interview invites guys?

Bah. Ucsf where's my secondary! I'm waiting patiently :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Finally got my secondary last night after being complete since 7/18, just wondering if it's worth it to complete it after being delayed for so long...

Considering the secondary fee is only $60, they only send secondaries to ~1500 people (which you're now a part of), grant interviews to ~1/3 of people they send secondaries to, AND it is one of the easiest secondaries out there, I don't see any reason to not apply. But that's just me.

Finally got my secondary last night after being complete since 7/18, just wondering if it's worth it to complete it after being delayed for so long...

i would do it. Met a few M1's at UCSF/JMP who didn't submit until September/October. So there's no such thing as "not worth completing"

Are you OOS?

No, I'm a CA resident, and a re-app.. last year UCSF was the only CA school I didn't get a secondary from, and combined with the fact that I got the secondary a month late this cycle, and that I wasn't too sure how friendly UCSF was to re-apps, it all made me apprehensive about filling out the secondary. But judging from what others say its a definite good sign. So fingers crossed, just submitted it! :)

UCSF claims that they don't have an "auto review," in the true computer-generated sense that other schools have. Apparently they actually read through each application before granting a secondary.

I dont know about that. I received my secondary invite at 6AM after my AMCAS was verified around 2PM the day before. Dont think they read my app, but I could be wrong!

I dont know about that. I received my secondary invite at 6AM after my AMCAS was verified around 2PM the day before. Dont think they read my app, but I could be wrong!

My AMCAS application was officially verified at 7:23 AM on July 12. UCSF notified me that they had received my AMCAS at 9:58 AM on July 12. I also received an invitation to complete their secondary application at 9:58 AM, albeit a few seconds later.

Sounds like an auto-screen to me...

review or no review--i'm hoping UCSF gets to offering me a secondary soon! it's been more than a month... should i call and inquire? or just wait some more? I'm a reapplicant so idk if that makes a difference in their review process

Status
Not open for further replies.