2012-2013 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Give us three words that a roommate would use to describe you. (3 spaces provided)

Where is your favorite place on Earth?
(one sentence)

(3-5 sentences)

What is the most fun you've had in the last year?

Tell us about your most prized possession.

If you couldn`t be a health professional, what occupation would you choose?

What requirement would you add (or delete!) from the application process to medical school?

Please answer the question in 300 words or less.

Imagine your work or school obligations were cancelled for the afternoon and you had three hours of free time. What would you do?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck guys! Hope to see you in 2013 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why USC admission stats seem to be lower than other CA schools??? is UCLA considered better?

Number one. fingers crossed. Good luck all.

Last edited:
Can anyone offer some insight on how serious USC is about the 30 semester hour humanities requirement? I'd really love to apply here and think I'd be a great fit but I'm an engineering major and there's no way I'd ever be able to take 11 humanities classes (I'm on the quarter system) before I graduate.

I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience in a similar situation. If they counted AP credit I'd be fine.... sucks to have to cross of schools because of stuff like this but I guess that's the way life works sometimes.

Number 1 choice! Did not know USC was humanities-driven but luckily I am.

Last edited:
Does USC actually accept Canadians from a Canadian undergrad? They do accept internationals according to their website, but only 0-2 internationals matriculate each cycle according to MSAR. As a private school with seemingly low GPA & MCAT averages, I really hope that I have a chance. (I'm not an exceptionally strong applicant)

At least a few of this year's grad's were Canadians. From what I can tell they were exceptional. Their residency matches were in the best programs (Brigham and Women's for Ob/Gyn!). With an average MCAT >33 and gpa>3.6 their stats beat most programs, including some of the UC's. If your application is strong and you are lucky enough to get an interview it looks like you have a shot!

At least a few of this year's grad's were Canadians.

Thanks! Wow that sounds amazing, but basically any mid-tier residency for me will do. USC is my only shot at the west coast as a Canadian, but according to MSAR, they seem to be accepting less internationals recently.

Anyone else able to weigh in here about internationals being accepted to USC?

Can anyone offer some insight on how serious USC is about the 30 semester hour humanities requirement? I'd really love to apply here and think I'd be a great fit but I'm an engineering major and there's no way I'd ever be able to take 11 humanities classes (I'm on the quarter system) before I graduate.

I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience in a similar situation. If they counted AP credit I'd be fine.... sucks to have to cross of schools because of stuff like this but I guess that's the way life works sometimes.

As far as I know, they are pretty loose with what types of classes qualify for humanities. I took some business classes (which is not one of the categories listed on the site for humanities) and they said that was just fine. Look at your transcript and call into the office to see what you can do. Maybe some of your engineering classes would count.

Good luck to everyone applying this year! Maybe I'll see you around.

Definitely apply anyway. The way I understand it is that they will accept you without that portion of the requirements met... if they tell you later that you are short then you can take summer classes to catch up. On the other hand, I was accepted for this upcoming school year and had the same concern. I even added up all the classes I thought would count on my transcript and I was like 8 units short! I called into the office and they said I was fine... dunno what they counted outside of what I saw but I will be a Trojan this fall regardless!

Hope that helps. I would just suggest that you don't limit the schools you apply to based upon that type of requirement or even on the MCAT/GPA averages because every school will accept people well below their average depending on the rest of the application strengths. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying as well. USC is my undergrad =]

I wonder if that is favored at all

What do you think USC Keck looks for in an applicant?

How firm is the 30Hrs of humanities and social sciences semesters? How many Quarter hours or classes is this equivalent to?

How firm is the 30Hrs of humanities and social sciences semesters? How many Quarter hours or classes is this equivalent to?

45 quarter hours. (conversion is semester(3/2)=quarters)

Has anyone gotten their secondaries for USC? They should've received my primary, but I haven't heard back and I'm pretty sure they don't screen for secondaries.

Got it. Same questions. Way different essay though.

It's not in front of me but it's something like "if you found out your work or class was cancelled for the next 3 hours what would you do"

It's not in front of me but it's something like "if you found out your work or class was cancelled for the next 3 hours what would you do"

Thats their 300 word prompt? USC asks the weirdest things!

Thats their 300 word prompt? USC asks the weirdest things!

Definitely different than most medical schools, but I like it. I feel like the school actually wants to know you and not just your stats, where you've volunteered and how much you've shadowed. I appreciate that in a medical admissions committee.

Anyways, here they are boys and girls. Good luck to all.

Give us three words that a roommate would use to describe you. (3 spaces provided)

(one sentence)

(3-5 sentences)

What requirement would you add (or delete!) from the application process to medical school?

Imagine your work or school obligations were cancelled for the afternoon and you had three hours of free time. What would you do?

Got my secondary invite minutes ago.

These questions are AWESOME.

You can actually have some fun answering them. I'm sick of answering questions about my background/life experiences, or what I did in my gap year.

I want to write about diablo for the most fun prompt. please tell me that's not a good thing hahaha

Are we supposed to use this as a way to show our personality and have a little more fun with them, or should we stay on the more serious side? I want to use these to show some personality that I couldn't in my primary, but I am worried adcoms will think I'm not serious about med school if I go that route.

Are we supposed to use this as a way to show our personality and have a little more fun with them, or should we stay on the more serious side? I want to use these to show some personality that I couldn't in my primary, but I am worried adcoms will think I'm not serious about med school if I go that route.
I'll bet they're tired of seeing the same old responses. If they had wanted stiff, standard answers they would have asked the same old tired questions! Go for it.

disturbed, horny, destructive

(one sentence)
atlantis gentlemens club

(3-5 sentences)

see above, 50% off drinks on july 4th

my balls

hustler

more hot girls

have fun with myself ;)

I'm IS and still haven't received a secondary. Wouldn't worry much about it yet

does USC screen heavily?

The secondary essay questions are rather...odd.

The secondary essay questions are rather...odd.

This will be the most fun II by far. I've chugged out the first two in 15 mins and am actually enjoying it. Props to Keck for a II that requires imagination!

Still haven't received the secondary yet and I was verified well before 6/29. Anyone think it's time to e-mail them?

Finally received my secondary! Time to play with these strange questions :)

I spoke to admissions last year and they said that canadians aren't considered international students. They are equal to US citizens!

Im a student completing a MSc. at the University of Alberta. This school is my top choice for sure!!

So I literally have three roommates. I asked them each to write down a word to describe me. I got:

funny, dedicated, and... mermaid.

Is this too ridiculous or should I just go with it? :laugh:

So I literally have three roommates. I asked them each to write down a word to describe me. I got:

funny, dedicated, and... mermaid.

Is this too ridiculous or should I just go with it? :laugh:

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.