2012-2013 University of Texas Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Wooo southwestern! King of TMDSAs schools! Excited to apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same prompts as last year. Be very careful about formatting. Do not copy and paste! I saw the consequences after submitting and it wasn't pretty. Just take the time and re-type everything.

Sent in my primary yesterday. UTSW is my dream OOS school--this Cowboys fan lives too far away!

Anyone send in their secondary yet?

I did today. Anyone else? Did anyone notice their formatting get super messed up after submission? I had my bullet points all neat and the secondary automatically crunched it all together after submission!

I was planning on submitting as well, but I wasn't sure if it was okay to do so this early.

Super bump. Where is the love for UTSW

Oh, by the way, it also messed up my formatting as well. I had my bullets all spaced out and super neat, and then the dumb formatting crunched em all together. I really wish they would have a preview button, or you could preview the format before it is actually submitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they had the same problem last year. Just the nature of their formatting I guess.

How long was your setting of medical career essay? Is it supposed to be closed to 3500 characters?

has anyone heard anything from them who has submitted their secondary? do they send a secondary received email?

I think they did last year, but those didn't start going out until early July. Nothing here yet.

Last year they sent separate emails to tell you they received your primary and secondary. I didn't get the email to tell me they received my TMDSAS application until about a month after it was transmitted. The secondary email came more quickly (a week or two later).

has anyone heard anything from them who has submitted their secondary? do they send a secondary received email?

Yeah, I got a confirmation email right after I submitted my secondary application.

They don't send you a secondary application until your primary application is complete right? I just now had my school send in my LORs (everything else is sent in), so hopefully after this they send me an email about a secondary.

They don't send you a secondary application until your primary application is complete right? I just now had my school send in my LORs (everything else is sent in), so hopefully after this they send me an email about a secondary.

They actually don't send you the secondary. You have to access it on the UTSW website (I don't have the link, unfortunately). You can start on it whenever you want.

but isnt there login information that is needed? Does UTSW send out the login info for each applicant?

but isnt there login information that is needed? Does UTSW send out the login info for each applicant?

You have to sign up for an account on the UTSW website to start on your secondary application using your TMDSAS ID

I think they did last year, but those didn't start going out until early July. Nothing here yet.

Technically, you can receive an interview before you even submit a secondary (happened to me for a Sept. interview and a friend for a Dec. interview), but I would still finish it as soon as the opportunity arises.

I submitted my TMDSAS primary and UTSW secondary applications a couple of weeks ago.

Technically, you can receive an interview before you even submit a secondary (happened to me for a Sept. interview and a friend for a Dec. interview), but I would still finish it as soon as the opportunity arises.

I will go ahead and second that. They send out interview invites even if you haven't filled up a secondary. But, the secondary isn't even hard so you might as well get done with it. Why do anything that lowers your chances of getting an interview? So do the secondary ASAP as well.

It is my understanding the soonest we hear about invitations for interviews with UT Southwestern is sometime in July, and that the notification comes as an email.

What happens if the email ends up on your SPAM box? For something this important, I would prefer both an email and a paper invitation that arrives in my snail-mailbox.

Then you really should figure out a way to handle your email without dropping stuff in spam...everything at UTSW happens via email first -- your acceptance, your class notes, exam grades, important notices from faculty and deans, etc. Use gmail, it's magic.

Good luck to all the applicants this year!!! :xf::xf::xf:

It is my understanding the soonest we hear about invitations for interviews with UT Southwestern is sometime in July, and that the notification comes as an email.

What happens if the email ends up on your SPAM box? For something this important, I would prefer both an email and a paper invitation that arrives in my snail-mailbox.

Frequently check mygateway website where you submitted the secondary. If you receive an interview, you will have to go there to select the dates. Last year, I found out about my interview on mygateway even before I received the email.

There are ways to make sure important e-mails from one source never go to spam: http://forums.omgpop.com/omgpop-own...orial-so-you-dont-miss-any-omgpop-emails.html

I think GMail is pretty great at making sure important e-mails don't go astray, but if you're really worried, I would just go through all of the schools you're applying to and whitelist them.

Over the application cycle, I got in the habit of spending a few minutes every week glancing over my spam folder just to make sure nothing important got trashed on accident. That being said, I don't think I ever had any med school related email get tagged as spam (outside of an email I received that contained a receipt of payment for a secondary app).

Got email today

"The application review process has begun. It is difficult to anticipate when you might hear from us regarding the status of your application. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you via email at the same email address to which this message was sent. Any changes to your email address should be forwarded to TMDSAS and UT Southwestern as soon as possible."

Good luck to everyone

Got email today

"The application review process has begun. It is difficult to anticipate when you might hear from us regarding the status of your application. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you via email at the same email address to which this message was sent. Any changes to your email address should be forwarded to TMDSAS and UT Southwestern as soon as possible."

Good luck to everyone

Just got the same email. Beginning obsessive/compulsive email checking routine in 5, 4, 3....

+1

tumblr_llax2rbRRS1qg87cc.gif

Hey guys I am applying through TMDSAS for all the Texas schools except TCOM, I just took my MCAT in June. I think I did in my best ability. I am currently with a 3.98 GPA according to the AMCAS, and 3.97 according to TMDSAS. I am also in the honors program here at my university. I have done 3 separate undergraduate research. one of them is my current thesis research, and i am also doing a medical research internship at Texas A&M during this summer. I have also been doing many community service projects consistently, i shadowed for 2 months in the local clinic. i am always shooting for excellence, but it is becoming unbearable stressful because of my unrealistic asian parents. people that are already in medical school or currently applying with me, please give me your assessment on if I have a chance in UTSW.
P.S i also finished all the required application, just waiting on my scores and letters to be sent from my premed committee.

Thanks guys :)

I had an informal meeting with one of the UTSW faculty yesterday. I'm very impressed. I really like this school. Driving around, you can see that there is big money going into construction on the campus. There is a new Parkland going up, and a new St. Paul. Better yet is the fact that as the #20 ranked school, tuition is only a fraction of that for all the other medical schools ranked #1-19 ($15,000 vs $50,000 per year).

For the first question in the secondary regarding the mission statement are you literally just listing your experiences with no explanation or are you doing a resume style list with the bullet points under an experiences are the whys?

Thanks!

I did several bullet points each combined with a short explanation because that's what I believe the application said was required.

Woo!!! Totally stoked for the med school race this year! Hey, does anyone have insight about being an older applicant? I'll be 27 by the time med school starts next year. I noticed only 6% of this year's students were my age (according to UTSW's site). I'm guessing it's just because there aren't as many older applicants and not because they are a bunch of ageists! At least that's what I'm hoping. :/

Woo!!! Totally stoked for the med school race this year! Hey, does anyone have insight about being an older applicant? I'll be 27 by the time med school starts next year. I noticed only 6% of this year's students were my age (according to UTSW's site). I'm guessing it's just because there aren't as many older applicants and not because they are a bunch of ageists! At least that's what I'm hoping. :/

I'm gonna be a 27yo M1 at Southwestern this fall. If the interview day was any indication I do think Southwestern was one of the younger medical schools I saw.

In general I think 26/27 is a good age to be an applicant. You can milk the extra maturity and life experiences you have, but you're not nearly old enough that anyone will question whether or not you should be spending another decade in school. As an applicant, I wore my age proudly.

Whether or not there are "ageist" or "ageophile" schools is difficult to answer, there are only rumors. Out of the schools I saw, Illinois, Pittsburgh, and Penn seemed to like older students but Northwestern not as much. I didn't really get an impression of Southwestern going either way. I think they're more interested in big stats and research.

Hey guys I am applying through TMDSAS for all the Texas schools except TCOM, I just took my MCAT in June. I think I did in my best ability. I am currently with a 3.98 GPA according to the AMCAS, and 3.97 according to TMDSAS. I am also in the honors program here at my university. I have done 3 separate undergraduate research. one of them is my current thesis research, and i am also doing a medical research internship at Texas A&M during this summer. I have also been doing many community service projects consistently, i shadowed for 2 months in the local clinic. i am always shooting for excellence, but it is becoming unbearable stressful because of my unrealistic asian parents. people that are already in medical school or currently applying with me, please give me your assessment on if I have a chance in UTSW.
P.S i also finished all the required application, just waiting on my scores and letters to be sent from my premed committee.

Thanks guys :)

Your application seems fine. It all depends on your MCAT score.

I spoke to Dr. James Wagner, Associate Dean for Student Affairs at UTSW in April. He told me that UT Southwestern prefers applicants who have at least a 34 on their MCAT. But if you look at the admission statistics for UTSW for 2011, MCAT scores range from a low of 26 to a high of 43. I would assume that whoever got the 26 on his or her MCAT and still got into UTSW also had a PhD and significant research history. But then again, if you have a PhD, why would you only score a 26 on your MCAT?

UT Southwestern prefers applicants who have at least a 34 on their MCAT.

Which school doesn't? But true UTSW is highly competitive. I was quoted by an admission staff a score of 35 minimum if you want to "guarantee" that the adcom will look at your file (being in state of course and a decent GPA). But these guarantee any school in TX will look at your file.

if you have a PhD, why would you only score a 26 on your MCAT?

Because there is a difference between filling up your head and learning to use it. BTW, I do have a PhD, scored 30 on first attempt (6 in VR). Scored 36 on second attempt (9 in VR). A lot of us (PhDs) who want to go to MD school either are from a foreign country (like me) or have kids (like me) and had to deal with jobs, pre-reqs and raise kids (like me).

The MCAT is a major undertaking and aside from being academically fit, one needs time to devote to it.

Anyway I have applied to UTSW and hope for the best. Definitely a top choice. :xf:

Anyway I have applied to UTSW and hope for the best. Definitely a top choice.

With a PhD and a 36 MCAT, you should be guaranteed an interview at UTSW. I assume with such high scores you are also applying to the Ivy League schools? If given a choice between Harvard, Yale, and UTSW, would you automatically pick the Ivy League medical school? Or would you prefer UT Southwestern? Since you're obviously the kind of applicant who can pick wherever they want to go, I'm wondering what made you interested in UTSW?

With a PhD and a 36 MCAT, you should be guaranteed an interview at UTSW. I assume with such high scores you are also applying to the Ivy League schools? If given a choice between Harvard, Yale, and UTSW, would you automatically pick the Ivy League medical school? Or would you prefer UT Southwestern? Since you're obviously the kind of applicant who can pick wherever they want to go, I'm wondering what made you interested in UTSW?
Funny you ask. No I won't apply to Ivy league and would go for UTSW due to family reasons. My wife has her job around Dallas and with 2 kids and a mortgage, it is not easy to give up everything. I didn't even fill my AMCAS. I started then realized that I was filing last year application (who said a PhD made you smart?). Due to lack of time, I may very well may be giving up on AMCAS all together. I applied to all 8 TX school via TMDSAS (and likely won't apply to baylor because it is done via AMCAS). I was done mid may, received an interview invite at UTMB 3 days ago or so, and hope to receive others as well.
UTSW is a top choice because I have been a faculty there for 5 years or so, training grad, PhD and med students. I have a lot of past collaborations (and of course many publications, even a drug patent, on which I am inventor, but owned by UTSW). But this was expected from me as a researcher. I hope to stay in TX ideally in Dallas, and I have applied to the DO school as well.
My undergrad GPA (had to take the pre-reqs, mine being from outside) is a 4.0, I also have an MBA from the USA, with a crappier GPA (3.6) did it during my first postdoc so that hurt my overall GPA a bit. Hopefully adcoms will read between the lines.
Keep you posted of course.

UTSW is a top choice because I have been a faculty there for 5 years or so, training grad, PhD and med students. I have a lot of past collaborations (and of course many publications, even a drug patent, on which I am inventor, but owned by UTSW). But this was expected from me as a researcher. I hope to stay in TX ideally in Dallas,

You sound like a perfect fit for UTSW. Their ADCOM looks for a lot more than just grades. They look to see who you are as a total person, and to see if you fit into their overall mission statement. You obviously have a lot of experiences which would greatly add to the diversity of the student body, not the least of which is your ability to build a strong marriage and a strong family.

I am not filling out the AMCAS either. Although Ivy League schools certainly come with a lot of prestige, I went to SMU the other day to have lunch with a professor friend of mine. On my way there, I had a 19 y/o kid in a $70,000 Mercedes honking at me because I couldn't figure out how to get the gate open at the parking garage. It is my opinion that 19 year old kids should not be driving brand new Mercedes. I think at Harvard or Yale, it will be even worse. I don't think I would enjoy going to the student center and having a conversation with another student about "My dad is a senator, what does your dad do?" I imagine you get a lot of that at the Ivy Leagues.

One thing I like about UTSW is that it is full of people striving to be better. I have not met too many people there who feel they are "entitled" to be there. The "entitled" people go to the Ivy League schools. The rest of us who want to be the best we can be, and are striving to make something of our lives despite setbacks choose a place like UTSW.

Besides have you looked at the tuition for the Ivy Leagues? $50,000 a year. At UTSW, it is $15,000 a year. With the $140,000 you save in tuition, you could travel to countless professional meetings. Not to mention the interest payments on that extra debt you'd be paying during your residency. By my calculations, $140,000 in extra student loans results in about $1,000 a month extra that you have to pay during your residency.

There are a lot of good reasons to go to school in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.