2012 ADEA Official Guide to DS-now available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree, I used this book all the time during the app process. A way to get it free... use your pre-dental club's funding to purchase as a reference book for the club. And you just have to be the designated holder of the book or just "borrow" it for an extended period of time lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
This book is a waste of time. If one knows how to use the search function, there is gold hidden in the several tons of turd on sdn.

Is anyone else getting an error when they try to checkout? I've tried both Chrome and IE

Is anyone else getting an error when they try to checkout? I've tried both Chrome and IE

They are having issues with the system. You may be better off ordering by phone.

Just tried again and the order went through. $43 for this guide, $10 for Cliffs Bio book, $185 for DAT Destroyer, $120 for Chad's videos...money well worth it IMO

This book is a waste of time. If one knows how to use the search function, there is gold hidden in the several tons of turd on sdn.
No doubt SDN is helpful, but investing in this book made it so much easier to learn about various dental schools, compare them, and select which ones were the best to apply to.

There really isn't a resource out there, including SDN, that has as much info compiled on every single dental school as the ADEA guide. Not to mention that SDN "facts" are often outdated, inaccurate, and don't paint a full picture.

As an applicant not looking to apply broadly (only seven schools, all in the Midwest), I found this book absolutely useless. Knowing where to apply is simple enough. In state publics, out of state privates, hope for the best. You will know where you want to go based on the information that you compile at your interviews. I can see this being a good resource for those who haven't got a clue what schools are right for them or are just willing to be accepted anywhere, but those looking to stay in a certain region need not feel obligated to purchase.

Do you know what you just said? A waste of time? No, absolutely not. It would take 1000x more time to try and filter through all the stuff on these boards than it would to just flip a few pages through the book. Not to mention the ADEA book is way more reliable than info posted by anonymous users on an internet forum. It is known to have a few errors but not as many as you would find on here. If you meant to say it would be a waste of money, then well... for the amount of time it would take you to surf these forums you could be working (making money), so it actually saves you money, by freeing up your time to work, or do other things for that matter. I still think this is nearly a requirement. Just saying lol :D

Heh c'mon man. We're willing to drop 300-400k in loans but not the extra monopoly money to get the book? :D

Buy the book. Nuff said. :)

Heh c'mon man. We're willing to drop 300-400k in loans but not the extra monopoly money to get the book? :D

Buy the book. Nuff said. :)

Exactly! I think when all is said I done, I spent about $1,500 on application fees, $400 on interview apparell, at least another $1,500 on plane tickets/hotels/etc for interviews, and $1,500 on my acceptance deposit. Oh, plus $320 x 2 to take the DAT twice and about $500 for DAT study materials. I'm not one to mindlessly throw money away, but seriously, $43 is nothing compared to what applying costs and this is an excellent resource! Get the book, figure out where and when to apply, do it right and you'll only have to apply once (which will save you money!)!

That book is worth every sweet penny. You can use the stats and understand exactly where you should apply. For example when you realize how many OOS students apply to the GA school and how many of them actually get interviewed or admitted, you'll realize that you just saved $75x2 by not applying there. It's gonna pay for itself in gold. Of course you can be cheap and try to save on it, but then you'll apply to a few schools and realize you never have a shot at getting in. Do it and get the book! You will thank yourself!

You should realize that most of the information that you need is available at the schools website. If you are looking for information about OSS numbers, etc., you can find that on sdn. In addition, schools in texas make this/more detailed information available online for free on TMDSAS. At the end of the day, you should do thorough research by checking out the schools website, speaking to alums, and calling/emailing the school. Save your money and spend it on paying for your tuition. I can't believe how many predents don't mind throwing money away on things like this. School is expensive, so you should save every $ possible. Talk to people who recently graduated and they will tell you the same thing.

You should realize that most of the information that you need is available at the schools website. If you are looking for information about OSS numbers, etc., you can find that on sdn. In addition, schools in texas make this/more detailed information available online for free on TMDSAS. At the end of the day, you should do thorough research by checking out the schools website, speaking to alums, and calling/emailing the school. Save your money and spend it on paying for your tuition. I can't believe how many predents don't mind throwing money away on things like this. School is expensive, so you should save every $ possible. Talk to people who recently graduated and they will tell you the same thing.

I just graduated...and I endorse this book for many people. If you're only applying to 5 schools, don't bother...if you're unsure where to apply or have questionable stats then this is a must have. And I don't think everything in this book is always available on the websites...some school sites are old and atrocious.

You're going to throw money away left and right in d school. This is a drop in the bucket.