2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychrat

licensed psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So unfortunately I did not match in phase I and am getting ready to start applying to phase II. So far I have 11 sites that seem like they would be good matches. I am trying to be less geographically restricted this time around. Is anyone else out there applying for phase II or is there anyone who has applied for phase II in the past who could offer any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say I'm also applying for Phase II! I'm trying to finish whittling down my list but it looks like I'll end up with ~10-13 sites.

Are you applying to sites that did not interview you the first round?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks. Phase II survivor from last year.

There aren't many tips that I have, really, since the process is so similar to Phase I. But let's see...

-There is no benefit to applying early (sites cannot see any applications until after the application deadline), so sleep on it, and then look at the list of sites tomorrow. Begin working on cover letters tomorrow- don't do it today.
-If you can get feedback from any of your sites now, before you have to submit Phase II apps, that's probably smart.

I'm trying to think what I did. I edited/rewrote cover letters, but didn't touch my application otherwise (e.g., didn't edit my essays). I reapplied to one of my sites that was available, even though they didn't offer me an interview in Phase I, and wound up matching there in Phase II. I was pretty picky in where I applied in phase II (I wanted neuro and I wanted APA-Accredited), so I only applied to 4 places. I got 3 interviews, all via phone, and did some emailing with the current (at the time) interns. Overall, I found the process pretty pleasant; I was way more relaxed because I had already resigned myself to not matching and to taking another year. I actually wound up sleeping through the NMS email for phase 2!

There are some pretty great sites available in Phase II, and no one on postdoc interviews seemed to know or care. I'd say go for it if you find sites that really fit your interests. But keep in mind that if you don't match in Phase II, it's not the end of the world... I know people who have done additional externships and gotten phenomenal placements the following year, in their 2nd year of applying.

In the end though... Sorry you got a bad email this morning. I know I was devastated, and didn't take it well. Do something for yourself; it's the system that's broken, not you. Even though that didn't help when people said that to me last year. :). Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey folks. Phase II survivor from last year.

There aren't many tips that I have, really, since the process is so similar to Phase I. But let's see...

-There is no benefit to applying early (sites cannot see any applications until after the application deadline), so sleep on it, and then look at the list of sites tomorrow. Begin working on cover letters tomorrow- don't do it today.
-If you can get feedback from any of your sites now, before you have to submit Phase II apps, that's probably smart.

I'm trying to think what I did. I edited/rewrote cover letters, but didn't touch my application otherwise (e.g., didn't edit my essays). I reapplied to one of my sites that was available, even though they didn't offer me an interview in Phase I, and wound up matching there in Phase II. I was pretty picky in where I applied in phase II (I wanted neuro and I wanted APA-Accredited), so I only applied to 4 places. I got 3 interviews, all via phone, and did some emailing with the current (at the time) interns. Overall, I found the process pretty pleasant; I was way more relaxed because I had already resigned myself to not matching and to taking another year. I actually wound up sleeping through the NMS email for phase 2!

There are some pretty great sites available in Phase II, and no one on postdoc interviews seemed to know or care. I'd say go for it if you find sites that really fit your interests. But keep in mind that if you don't match in Phase II, it's not the end of the world... I know people who have done additional externships and gotten phenomenal placements the following year, in their 2nd year of applying.

In the end though... Sorry you got a bad email this morning. I know I was devastated, and didn't take it well. Do something for yourself; it's the system that's broken, not you. Even though that didn't help when people said that to me last year. :). Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks this is so helpful and makes me feel less alone and more understood. I am the only one in my program who did not match this year, and although I have one close friend who knows me well and is super supportive, I am hesitant to reach out to the others because I do not want to rain on their parade.

Thanks this is so helpful and makes me feel less alone and more understood. I am the only one in my program who did not match this year, and although I have one close friend who knows me well and is super supportive, I am hesitant to reach out to the others because I do not want to rain on their parade.

Yeah, it's a really tough position. You don't want to talk to your friends/classmates that did match, and no one outside of psychology really understands. My friends Ben and Jerry usually understand, though. :). (Unless you're an obesity researcher, then my friends celery sticks and moderation understand.)

It is hard, that's for sure. And I know how much "It'll all work out," "You'll get something," "Next year will be different," etc. does not really help. But there is some reality in that... you have the opportunity to get some feedback so you have a stronger application next year, you can get more clinical experience, you can be further along in your diss or get that paper published... there are a lot of things you can do to become a stronger applicant by November. And the only one that thinks the reason you didn't match was you... is you. Everyone else knows the system is broken and does not think that not matching impacts your ability to succeed in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you ask sites for feedback? Were you just upfront?

My DCT is doing this on my behalf. Also, I am not re-applying anywhere as none of my sites had slots which were unfilled.

I didn't actually ask any sites for feedback, but I would just be upfront. Something like, "I wanted to thank you again for your time and consideration! Unfortunately, I didn't match; I was wondering if you had any feedback regarding my application or interview so that I can be a stronger applicant the next time I apply. Thanks!"

This is probably a silly question, but to confirm - to apply to sites in Phase II, you just select the program from the Internship Selection Designation and apply the same way right? It's exactly the same process as Phase I?

After not matching, I'm paranoid about making mistakes!

This is probably a silly question, but to confirm - to apply to sites in Phase II, you just select the program from the Internship Selection Designation and apply the same way right? It's exactly the same process as Phase I?

After not matching, I'm paranoid about making mistakes!

yep, the same way. Also, I read in Greg Klein's email that supplemental materials (testing reports, case conceptualizations, etc) are not to be submitted, even for sites that required them for Phase I. Is that your understanding as well?

yep, the same way. Also, I read in Greg Klein's email that supplemental materials (testing reports, case conceptualizations, etc) are not to be submitted, even for sites that required them for Phase I. Is that your understanding as well?

That was certainly the case last year.

That's right, supplemental materials are not required in Phase II even if they requested them in Phase I. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
They can still request them though, but you would have to e-mail them. From the APPIC site:

You should NOT submit any supplemental materials (e.g., testing reports, special application forms) to sites during the initial application phase, even if requested to do so by the site's application instructions for Phase I. Sites have been told that applications from students in Phase II will not include supplemental materials, even if requested by the site. Sites may choose to ask selected applicants to provide additional information (e.g., testing reports) at a later time; students who receive such requests should provide the information outside of the AAPI Online service (e.g., via e-mail attachment).

Hey guys, another non-matcher here. So sorry that this has happened to you guys as well! :/ So bummed about this...as a 6th year student already I'm dreading the idea of waiting around another year and applying in my 7th year! I guess once you've already invested this many years, though, what's another...?

I was wondering if any of you are in the situation where one of the places you applied initially but didn't get an interview is on the list? I am trying to figure out how much (if at all) to change my cover letter.... Do you think I should address the fact that I'm applying again and still (if not more so) very enthusiastic? Just wondering what you all are changing or not changing of your previous materials or approach to new cover letters?

There was only 1 place that I applied to that did not give me an interview that now has an opening. I am not reapplying to that place. I actually found some internships that are better matches that my original phase I list, which is really odd. Sometimes I think the APPIC directory does not have a good search feature. I am revamping my cover letters and making them longer and more detailed. How many sites are you all applying too. I'm applying 18 as of right now. I'm meeting with my advisor tomorrow so we'll see what he has to say about it.

I'll be applying to between 8-10, but in all honesty, I'm only excited about 3 of the sites. The others I figure I should apply to and try to learn more about them if I get an interview and decide later whether or not it is a good idea to rank them rather than wait another year and try to build up my experiences to make me more marketable at an internship site that offers the kind of training I really want (specifically, something that would set me up for a post-doc in ped. neuropsych.).

Good luck to you! I had an internship site that I interviewed at and did not match end up coming up with funding for 2 more spots. They emailed me and told me they were very interested and that I should apply again. It is tempting to go there because it seems like a very likely match; however, I feel I obviously have some concerns about that place if I didn't rank them the first time. I also thought is that email even ethical?

Hi guys, so sorry to hear you didn't match in phase one, I remember the pain alll too well. I applied to sites in phase 2 last year, there were a lot of good ones. It's pretty much the same deal as phase one, minus the supplementals, so the cover letter is important. Obviously if you're not geographically restricted you're in the best position for the circumstances. I had a fair amount of interviews in phase two last year and didn't match then, either, which was much more difficult than not matching in phase 1, honestly. If you can do an APPIC only or CAPIC internship, there's something to be said for getting it done and moving on if you can work within the parameters of what doing a non-APA internship means. You might end up at an APPIC site that is applying for APA and you could get a gift in the end! Try to keep your head up, lots of self care, try to let those close to you support you. It sucks, and you will get through it.

I also did not match :(, and, unfortunately, two other individuals from my program did not match as well. Considering we are a PhD program that only had 10 people apply, that isn't going to look great for our school :grumpy:. However, I am feeling hopeful about the second phase of Match. I have found 20, yes 20, sites that really seem like they would give me the solid generalist training I'm looking for. I limited myself to the Midwest in Phase I, but my fiance and I agreed that I will apply anywhere at all that I could possibly match at. Figured we can do long distance for a year and survive if necessary. As far as re-applying to programs that did not initially give you an interview. I am re-applying to a VA that I applied for in Phase I but did not get asked to interview. However, I am applying to a different track there for Phase II. I went back and have changed my cover letter to more clearly outline my goals for internship and why I would be a good fit there. I also am going to change up my autobiographical and multicultural essays since I've been told these are the ones that are read most closely typically.

Best of luck to everyone! Hoping this round ends up with some better results, fingers crossed!

Good luck to you! I had an internship site that I interviewed at and did not match end up coming up with funding for 2 more spots. They emailed me and told me they were very interested and that I should apply again. It is tempting to go there because it seems like a very likely match; however, I feel I obviously have some concerns about that place if I didn't rank them the first time. I also thought is that email even ethical?

Did they just email out of the blue when they saw you did not match?

Site: University of Denver Graduate School in Professional Psychology Internship Consortium
Program #: 117611
TD Name: Jenny Cornish, Ph.D., ABPP
TD Contact: [email protected]
Date/Time Added: Sunday, February 23, 1:15am Eastern
The University of Denver (DU) Graduate School of Professional Psychology (GSPP) Internship Consortium is an exclusively affiliated program, which means that we only accept applications (in both Phase I and Phase II) from DU GSPP students. If you are not a student in the DU GSPP, you are not eligible to apply for internship with us. Thank you for your understanding.

This is a bit disheartening. One less to apply at :( I feel like this should not be allowed.

I totally agree, psychrat! I was really pumped about a couple of the placements--thought about applying there in Phase 1 but didn't and then was absolutely going to apply when I saw spots still open till a cohort-mate who also didn't match pointed out that at the very top of the main page is says only their students are eligible! Have no idea how I missed that after reading it so many times!

I think they might have posted that notice in response to an e-mail I sent to confirm that it wouldn't be open to me coming from an extrnal Ph.D. program... Or maybe the TD got other e-mails than mine with the same questions. Regardless, definitely a bummer! Seems to me that if they can't fill their spots perhaps they could open it to others outside their program?

Did they just email out of the blue when they saw you did not match?
Yeah, he emailed me about 30 minutes after they could see the results. It is a good match but offers almost exclusively consultation and little therapywhich would be fine but I get worried about how I would get my post doc/supervised hours in the city I live in without much therapy on internship. at what point is an internship just a checkmark that you completed it?

I totally agree, psychrat! I was really pumped about a couple of the placements--thought about applying there in Phase 1 but didn't and then was absolutely going to apply when I saw spots still open till a cohort-mate who also didn't match pointed out that at the very top of the main page is says only their students are eligible! Have no idea how I missed that after reading it so many times!

I think they might have posted that notice in response to an e-mail I sent to confirm that it wouldn't be open to me coming from an extrnal Ph.D. program... Or maybe the TD got other e-mails than mine with the same questions. Regardless, definitely a bummer! Seems to me that if they can't fill their spots perhaps they could open it to others outside their program?

oh no, which other ones? I just want to make sure that I did not overlook other ones that I have on my list.

Yeah, he emailed me about 30 minutes after they could see the results. It is a good match but offers almost exclusively consultation and little therapywhich would be fine but I get worried about how I would get my post doc/supervised hours in the city I live in without much therapy on internship. at what point is an internship just a checkmark that you completed it?

It sounds like they would rank you highly. I would apply and if you like the other options better, you could rank them last.

oh no, which other ones? I just want to make sure that I did not overlook other ones that I have on my list.

Oops, sorry to have alarmed you! I meant a couple of places at DU! I don't know of any others on the list that are exclusive (except maybe the school psych consortiums that are only open to school psych students).

Oops, sorry to have alarmed you! I meant a couple of places at DU! I don't know of any others on the list that are exclusive (except maybe the school psych consortiums that are only open to school psych students).

cool, thanks

I'm just curious if anyone has seen any data on the match rate in Phase 2? I saw the match statistics saying how many are unmatched in phase 1 and how many positions are available, but didn't notice anywhere that is said how many applicants who apply in the second round secure an internship, particularly an APA-accredited one...

I didn't actually ask any sites for feedback, but I would just be upfront. Something like, "I wanted to thank you again for your time and consideration! Unfortunately, I didn't match; I was wondering if you had any feedback regarding my application or interview so that I can be a stronger applicant the next time I apply. Thanks!"
My supervisor told me that if the site ranks you, they see if and where you matched to. She also said that site dcts do not frown on second rounds at all. I hope this helps.

It sounds like they would rank you highly. I would apply and if you like the other options better, you could rank them last.
Yeah, I think that is what I will do. Best of luck to you psychrat!!

Reactions: 1 users
Well. That was disheartening! I kind of am sorry I asked... :unsure:

Well. That was disheartening! I kind of am sorry I asked... :unsure:
Remember that those stats reflect the number of positions available to the number of folks looking so it is not that surprising. And you only need one of the 200+ open. More important is to think whether you would benefit by the advantages (versus disadvantages) of another year. Way too many students go into the Match with not enough dissertation progress; they often get VERY different results by waiting a year and going into the Match with the dissertation done. There are lots of stories posted on these forums of folks that took that path and did not regret it, hard as it was in the immediate aftermath.

One of the sites I interviewed at in Phase I got back to me (I emailed them and asked how I could improve my application/interview) and all they told me is that my application was strong, my interview went well, and that I was ranked, but they only had three positions. Not the feedback I was looking for because I want to know how I could improve my chances of matching. I guess I was not ranked in the top thee for any of the sites I interviewed at, which is a bit disheartening because I felt really good about some of them. Did anyone else receive feedback?

I did not receive feedback. I think I am going to email the site that was one the top of my list and see.

There does not seem to be that many phase II people on SDN. A little disappointing because I was wanting to see when people were getting invites since there is no protocol for receiving rejections.

I talked to multiple supervisors about what to do about the site that I originally did not rank, that emailed me saying I should apply again. Half think I should go ahead and do it as an accredited internship is an internship despite it not being exactly what I wanted. The other half say don't lower your expectations and go through the next year making myself a better applicant for sites that I feel might be more of what I am looking for. The site that wants me to apply is mainly a consultation and assessment site with little therapy. I am worried about my ability to get a postdoc/or a job with supervised hours in therapy if I went to that site. Do you all think that would be an issue? what would you do in this situation?

@psychtalk1274 Its so hard to say. I am applying somewhere I never would have considered in Phase I simply because people in my program, as a general rule, do not go internships in this setting. However, it really is an incredible fit with my experiences and is APA accredited. I have been urged by my faculty to apply and bear in mind that the internship year is simply a box to check. They basically all said that as long as it is APA accredited, and that I can draw a clear relationship between the site's training and my future goals, the particular setting is less relevant. They also reminded me that I have a full CV to support my post-doc/job apps and that as long as there is a clear story to be told and not a bunch or erratic jumping around, I should be just fine. I would be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind that perhaps they just don't want to tarnish their near-perfect match rates... but I am choosing to take their advice.

I'm also surprised by the number of people on this thread specifically because (though that day was not my best and my memory may be a bit off) it seemed like many more people posted that they did not match then have commented on this thread. Maybe more will drop by once we start to hear from sites.

I did not receive feedback. I think I am going to email the site that was one the top of my list and see.

There does not seem to be that many phase II people on SDN. A little disappointing because I was wanting to see when people were getting invites since there is no protocol for receiving rejections.

I talked to multiple supervisors about what to do about the site that I originally did not rank, that emailed me saying I should apply again. Half think I should go ahead and do it as an accredited internship is an internship despite it not being exactly what I wanted. The other half say don't lower your expectations and go through the next year making myself a better applicant for sites that I feel might be more of what I am looking for. The site that wants me to apply is mainly a consultation and assessment site with little therapy. I am worried about my ability to get a postdoc/or a job with supervised hours in therapy if I went to that site. Do you all think that would be an issue? what would you do in this situation?

My take is that if you have plenty of therapy experience from grad school (particularly if it's in the areas in which you'd like to practice), then not getting as much of it on internship may not be that big of a deal. Conversely, if you were relying on internship to really help you gain significant experience in the areas on which you'd like to focus for postdoc, then it's a tougher decision.

@psychtalk1274 Its so hard to say. I am applying somewhere I never would have considered in Phase I simply because people in my program, as a general rule, do not go internships in this setting. However, it really is an incredible fit with my experiences and is APA accredited. I have been urged by my faculty to apply and bear in mind that the internship year is simply a box to check. They basically all said that as long as it is APA accredited, and that I can draw a clear relationship between the site's training and my future goals, the particular setting is less relevant. They also reminded me that I have a full CV to support my post-doc/job apps and that as long as there is a clear story to be told and not a bunch or erratic jumping around, I should be just fine. I would be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind that perhaps they just don't want to tarnish their near-perfect match rates... but I am choosing to take their advice.

I'm also surprised by the number of people on this thread specifically because (though that day was not my best and my memory may be a bit off) it seemed like many more people posted that they did not match then have commented on this thread. Maybe more will drop by once we start to hear from sites.

I'm hoping that more people will join us after the initial disappointment of not matching followed by the frantic submission of new applications is over. Personally, I had not prepared myself for this outcome at all (my program has a 100% match rate for the last 10+ years) so I'm struggling to make sense of my "failure" to match while staying composed enough to write new cover letters.

I'm hoping that more people will join us after the initial disappointment of not matching followed by the frantic submission of new applications is over. Personally, I had not prepared myself for this outcome at all (my program has a 100% match rate for the last 10+ years) so I'm struggling to make sense of my "failure" to match while staying composed enough to write new cover letters.

I definitely feel your pain. The idea of submitting all these application materials and going through the interview process all over again seems daunting. I keep reminding myself that there are some great sites still available, so I should not be discouraged. However, while I am not the only person from my program that did not match, all of my close friends did. It's hard not to feel like a failure when everyone else matched and it's all over Facebook...

I think there are a few things you should consider:
1. Could you afford to take a year off? It may be costly to live off of savings. I don't know about your school, but my school does not fund 6th year student.
2. Do you have life/personal plans for within the next few years that you would be willing to push back a year?

I am applying to sites in locations I never even thought about. I figured if they interview me, I will further research the location, and weight the pros and cons. If I were you, I would apply for now and then decide later based on how many other interviews you get and what the potential options look like.

just wanted to say hello. i am also applying for phase 2. good luck everyone. happy to commiserate, offer moral support, and discuss strategies.

1. Hang in there, as many great students with otherwise solid applications got squeezed in Phase I.
2. Try and run sites by your advisor/trusted person in your program because you want to have some perspective on fit.
3. I'd strongly recommend against ruling out any program that is a decent fit just because of geography. It's only a year.
4. Get feedback from Phase I sites if at all possible. Even feedback of, "You had a strong app but weren't in our top 1-2" is useful information.

Reactions: 3 users
four apps in, three to go ... I am soooooooooo happy that at least we don't have to pay for this round :)

four apps in, three to go ... I am soooooooooo happy that at least we don't have to pay for this round :)
The lack of an application fee is so nice, especially given how much the fees went up this year in Phase 1! I'm working away on cover letters, but feel OK with leaving my essays, LOR, CV, etc. untouched because I received positive feedback on them in a few of my Phase 1 interviews. I think my biggest hurdle is selling the fit because I have been trained as a generalist, so I could argue for a fit just about anywhere but it isn't necessarily going to be apparent to a site without my filling in the blanks (which I realize now that I failed to do in many of my Phase 1 cover letters).

Just uploaded a bunch of cover letters. One step closer.

Reactions: 4 users
I had 9 interviews and didn't match. This is my third year applying.. :( absolute misery.