2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My status page says "application has been reviewed." anyone else have that? anyone get an invite yet?

Last year, they didnt send out invites until late August/Early September

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, they didnt send out invites until late August/Early September

The first II was actually 7/25 last year (mostly IS, but a few OOS as well). But keep in mind that there are MANY more to come after the initial wave, so let's try NOT to panic if we don't see an email at 12:01AM on 7/25 :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
It may or may not mean anything, but I've occasionally been checking the file status for poops and giggles, and today mine updated from "has been reviewed" to "is being reviewed."

It may or may not mean anything, but I've occasionally been checking the file status for poops and giggles, and today mine updated from "has been reviewed" to "is being reviewed."

Bodes well, according to last year's thread. Mine is unchanged. Aw man :(

Wait… it went backwards? They reviewed it and now it's under review again? :scared:

Wait… it went backwards? They reviewed it and now it's under review again? :scared:

Yeah, last year and the year before it was a pretty good indicator of getting an II soon after.

I imagine it's like the first "has been" is like a "we looked over everything, it's all here, looks good," and then when it goes back to "is being" it's like, "Aight, let's take a closer look at this guy...He's solid. *sends II*"

I see that the 10% MCAT percentile is a 31&#8230; does anybody know of anyone that has gotten an II with <31?

My primary finally was submitted! I already pre-submitted the secondary so its just a waiting game now!

Members don't see this ad :)
hahah okay well I have a slight connection to Baylor… but I was really hoping to earn the II on my own. Just not sure if my gpa can make up for the 30 mcat.

I have similar mcat. hoping they give me a shot at all...

Sorry, I wasn't saying that is the only way, was just saying those are only the people I know.

it's all good. i understand.

hahah okay well I have a slight connection to Baylor… but I was really hoping to earn the II on my own. Just not sure if my gpa can make up for the 30 mcat.

you never know. only time will tell

I have similar mcat. hoping they give me a shot at all...

best of luck!

can any current baylor students comment on the ease/possibility of doing research with facilities affiliated with the texas medical center? how does that work, exactly? say i wanted to do research with someone at the texas heart institute - would i be able to do that as a baylor student?

can any current baylor students comment on the ease/possibility of doing research with facilities affiliated with the texas medical center? how does that work, exactly? say i wanted to do research with someone at the texas heart institute - would i be able to do that as a baylor student?

+1

Is there a research committee or office that pairs you up with mentors or has a list of available research projects that the students can apply for?

I personally dont have bench research or wet lab experience and I am interested in those forms of research (I have already done clinical research).

+1

Is there a research committee or office that pairs you up with mentors or has a list of available research projects that the students can apply for?

I personally dont have bench research or wet lab experience and I am interested in those forms of research (I have already done clinical research).

I don't work for Baylor, but I do bench research for UT Houston in the TMC. I also don't know about how anyone gets paired up with mentors/labs. But I think as long as you are actively looking and are asking the right people there are tons of opportunities.

I don't work for Baylor, but I do bench research for UT Houston in the TMC. I also don't know about how anyone gets paired up with mentors/labs. But I think as long as you are actively looking and are asking the right people there are tons of opportunities.

+1
I too don't work for Baylor, but I do bench research for UT MD Anderson Cancer Center. I am in the Endocrine Neoplasia lab.
The key is to be keeping your ears/eyes open and getting the right contacts. I made my way through to this place through some contacts of one of my ex-Professors who had been a post doc at UTMDACC earlier.

+1
I too don't work for Baylor, but I do bench research for UT MD Anderson Cancer Center. I am in the Endocrine Neoplasia lab.
The key is to be keeping your ears/eyes open and getting the right contacts. I made my way through to this place through some contacts of one of my ex-Professors who had been a post doc at UTMDACC earlier.

Its going to suck for us non-trads since we have been out of college for 2+ years so we really dont have the connections most students do.

Its going to suck for us non-trads since we have been out of college for 2+ years so we really dont have the connections most students do.

with your amazing mcat I think you have a great shot gandalf. rooting for ya!

with your amazing mcat I think you have a great shot gandalf. rooting for ya!

Thanks! I already sent them an LOI explaining my 3.5 GPA so hopefully they will atleast give me a chance to interview :xf:

The thing I was referring to was about getting research positions since we non-trads dont really have professors to talk to right now.

Thanks! I already sent them an LOI explaining my 3.5 GPA so hopefully they will atleast give me a chance to interview :xf:

The thing I was referring to was about getting research positions since we non-trads dont really have professors to talk to right now.

I got my job through a fellow research assistant up in New England lol. It is very possible! Just got to keep asking around!

Hey! BTW - I am a complete Non-Trad as well. Was an engineer in my past life for several years. Took all my pre-reqs plus a lot more as I was working. Point is, you can make it work - if you really want to.

Last edited:

I'm an MS4 here; there are a number of paths to getting involved in research. First, when you come to Baylor you'll be assigned to a faculty member who can help connect you with what you want to do. This can be a bit hit-or-miss, depending on the faculty member's specialty, but he or she can at least point you in the right direction or advocate for you to faculty doing the research you're interested in. You can also choose to take the research track (http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/tracks.html#res), which includes plenty of resources to match you with an appopriate mentor.

Less formally, you'll also frequently get emails from projects looking for student help on your class listserve. There are also student interest groups for most specialties; MS3/4s in those are a good resource for getting connected with a project and some groups will help match you with a mentor or keep a list of ongoing projects.

You can also find a project on your own simply by getting in touch with people doing research you find interesting. Most faculty members have their research interests on Baylor's site along with their contact information - just send them a note of your interest, willingness to meet to see if they'd like to work with you, and have a CV ready if they respond.

If you want to start doing research at the THI before you start clinical rotations, you'll probably want to take the initiative to get in touch with the people working there. It's a plus if you have something you can add to the project (e.g. do you have previous research experience? Training in statistics? Time to be a data collection monkey?) but even if not, if you're persistent you'll find something. If you're looking at clinical work, try to get on a project that already has an IRB; if it's not done, that can really delay your research a lot. After you've accepted a project to work on, you'll just need to take care of the institution's paperwork (St. Luke's has a fair bit - be warned) and you're good to go!

perfect - thanks for your help! so what i'm hearing is that it seems to be relatively easy to do research at TMC while you're a Baylor student; you just have to jump through the normal institutional hoops, find time, make connections, etc. etc. what i was mainly trying to figure out was that if there was some sort of institutional barrier - is there a stated research affiliation between baylor and TMC? and excuse my ignorance, but is baylor part of TMC, or just located in it? if i were an md/phd student, say, would i be able to get a phd with work done mostly at TMC, and are there a lot of faculty with cross-affiliations who could serve as my research advisors?

also, is it different if i wanted to research at the methodist hospital? i think methodist now has an affiliation with cornell, but the reason why i'm asking is that my former PI just became a director at methodist...is that still a sticky issue?

sorry for the flood of questions, but i'd appreciate any helpful insight.

No problem, zippyziggy! I do want to clarify - the Texas Medical Center, as it's generally used, refers to a location. In it are two medical schools (BCM and UTHSC) and many hospitals, most of which are affiliated with either Baylor or UT-Houston. There is also a company which owns the parking garages and common areas of the TMC, but they are not a healthcare organization. So, doing research anywhere in this location (whether it's UTH/BCM/affiliate) is "research at the TMC."

As a Baylor student, you can do research anywhere in the TMC you can find a mentor. We do have faculty at Methodist, although we are no longer technically affiliated with them - as a Baylor student, you would be able to do research there. You may find it easier to conduct research at the hospitals where we commonly rotate, though: Ben Taub (county), Texas Children's, St. Luke's/Texas Heart Institute (private), and the Houston VA. MD Anderson is affiliated with UT-Houston, but we still can rotate there for some of our rotations, and do research there - it just takes more effort on our part for the latter.

Specifically in terms of Methodist, I'm not sure what's sticky politically, as it hasn't affected me as a student when I've been there for lectures or rounds. We still go through the process to get badges there, and politics from the top shouldn't affect your research. I'm not MD/PhD, so I'm afraid I don't know their policies. When you come to interview, though, there should be people there who can answer this for you.

Hope that helps :)

Baylor students, have any of you had experience with Baylor's international (pediatric) AIDS initiative? (I have read of Baylor's pediatric AIDS clinics in Africa.) Do you know how easy/difficult is it to get involved in global medical activities like this?

For those of you who had their application reviewed and then it went back under review, how long was the gap between "has been reviewed" and then the second review? I turned my application in about 10 days ago, had it marked complete last Wednesday and it said it was under review from Thursday until this morning. It is not marked as has been reviewed.

For those of you who had their application reviewed and then it went back under review, how long was the gap between "has been reviewed" and then the second review? I turned my application in about 10 days ago, had it marked complete last Wednesday and it said it was under review from Thursday until this morning. It is not marked as has been reviewed.

Mine says,

Your application is complete and currently being reviewed by the committee.

Mine says,

Your application is complete and currently being reviewed by the committee.

Is it the one that looks like this? This is my current status; I don't remember for sure, but I think when mine was "is being reviewed" the first time, it looked a little different.

ad0sg2.jpg

Everyone needs to chill and find something else to do rather than obsess over the status of your application :rolleyes:

edit: although I have seen myself do the same thing.... but its gotten better as the weeks have passed!

Is it the one that looks like this? This is my current status; I don't remember for sure, but I think when mine was "is being reviewed" the first time, it looked a little different.

Mine is a little different.

"Your application is complete and currently being reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

Ha mine says...

Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

Ha mine says...

Mine says that too and it's said that since it was complete last week...I don't think they actually reviewed it yet though.

in state applicant, invite received this afternoon!

Mine is a little different.

"Your application is complete and currently being reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

Mine was this....

Ha mine says...

....and is now this.

in state applicant, invite received this afternoon!

Congrats!

Whoo hoo! In state II! So stoked!

So does anyone know how things go from here? After we interview how long until they tell us if we're in? I know some schools wait until everyone has interviewed before sending out acceptances.

IS II here too!

Do they send out in-state interview invites before out of state?

Does anyone know the percentage of students accepted post interview? Both IS and OOS?