2013-2014 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks a lot, type12. Does this mean that those who got accepted all had to go for the second interview?
No, not everyone who is accepted had to go through a second interview. But you shouldn't think that you are in a worse position than them. It's possible the interviewer missed some key points the committee would have liked to have known.

Again, there are bits of insight they are seeking. What that is, only the AdComs know of course.

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably reach out to them and see what is going on. That's way too long post-interview to not get any feedback. If it was pre-interview, fine, but after an interview, your decision should have been made.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Emailed them.
And their reply was "...It is typical for applicants to hear back from us as late as June/July..."

Wish we all hear from them soon!
Waiting is really excruciating...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, my applicant day was in November 17th, so more than 2 months now

I did get their financial aid package application...but I don't think that means anything?

I did get their financial aid package application...but I don't think that means anything?
No, that does not mean anything..
I received the financial aid application about 2 weeks prior to the applicant day, and it was due a week after the applicant day.

Did anybody get accepted yet? (for those who had their applicant day around Nov~Jan)

Reactions: 1 user
What has everyone been doing while waiting? :)

Last edited:
It's quite a painful wait... What has everyone been doing while waiting? :)
Working a six figure salary job. :poke: Med schools don't want me, but it seems like everyone is desperate to hire these days. I really wish it was the inverse

Working on my undergraduate final year project.
Med schools...hmm..., but it seems like everyone is desperate to find a PhD student...all are asking me whether I want to stay...
A PhD position is also great to me~I do enjoy research work~

Working a four figure salary job...
Haha... It's Chinese New Year for the locals in Singapore, guess most of us are preparing for this festive season at this moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working a four figure salary job...
Haha... It's Chinese New Year for the locals in Singapore, guess most of us are preparing for this festive season at this moment.

Lewybodies, is it true that for us who have waited more than 1 month for our interview results no longer have hope?

Hi guys, I was wondering if Duke-NUS gives preference to Singaporeans? Or is it a free-for-all type of admissions? I'm a Hong Kong resident and am wondering whether Duke-NUS could be an option.

Duke NUS states :" We welcome applications from qualified applicants of all nationalities, and there is no quota on the number of international students we accept. They are also eligible for financial aid." Hope that helps

Do you guys know if Duke-NUS is still offering interviews at this point?

There should still be on-going interviews. I'm a late applicant and just sat for my mcat last week.

Duke NUS states :" We welcome applications from qualified applicants of all nationalities, and there is no quota on the number of international students we accept. They are also eligible for financial aid." Hope that helps
Thanks for your help!

Lewybodies, is it true that for us who have waited more than 1 month for our interview results no longer have hope?
Hi Punkfish,

I can't really comment on that but I do know that their interview period span all the way till April. Thus, there's still hope for all those who has yet to be shortlisted for applicant's day.

Congrats on getting the acceptance!
I am going to apply next cycle. Do you mind sharing your stat?

Thank you!
Stats: International applicant, finishing my undergrad this year in May, Research during undergrad = 1 year in neurobiology, 1 year in psychology (mostly administrative work), + quite a lot of extracurricular activities.

Hope that helps, good luck on your application next cycle!

Last edited:

Hi Punkfish,

It can take any where from several weeks to several months for admissions to get back to you. So hang in there. No news is good news.

Brian MS1

Hi Punkfish,

It can take any where from several weeks to several months for admissions to get back to you. So hang in there. No news is good news.

Brian MS1
Hi Brian, many thanks for your reply. May I know how long did it take for you to hear back from them?

Thank you!
Stats: International applicant, finishing my undergrad this year in May, MCAT = 34, GPA = ~3.43, Research during undergrad = 1 year in neurobiology, 1 year in psychology (mostly administrative work), + quite a lot of extracurricular activities.

In desperate waiting…

I'm also a international student, with a similar GPA and a slightly higher MCAT…but nothing from them since Novemver…

How much does the interview weigh…?

I know I was not so good in the interview…but I start to think I totally screwed up it…

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Thank you!
Stats: International applicant, finishing my undergrad this year in May, MCAT = 34, GPA = ~3.43, Research during undergrad = 1 year in neurobiology, 1 year in psychology (mostly administrative work), + quite a lot of extracurricular activities.

Thanks for sharing!
You have a great MCAT score. I think you must have interviewed really well, too.
Even though I am applying next cycle, I am getting a bit nervous just reading the posts on SDN. o_O

Thanks for sharing!
You have a great MCAT score. I think you must have interviewed really well, too.
Even though I am applying next cycle, I am getting a bit nervous just reading the posts on SDN. o_O

Don't be too nervous^^ The application process can be quite long but still pleasant~ Good luck with your application~

deleted

Last edited:
Don't be too nervous^^ The application process can be quite long but still pleasant~ Good luck with your application~

Haha..thanks! I will try to relax. :happy: Good luck with your application! Hope you hear the good news from them soon.

I'm just wondering if most of the spots for 2014 are filled already...

I highly doubt so.. Probably just half filled.

Hi all,

waiting sucks. I would know, took 4 months for me to hear from them (Sept interview, Jan acceptance).
So try to hang in there for as long as possible, like what Brian said, no news is good news.

Hi all,

waiting sucks. I would know, took 4 months for me to hear from them (Sept interview, Jan acceptance).
So try to hang in there for as long as possible, like what Brian said, no news is good news.
Thank you for sharing~
Very assuring information :)

Hi Brian, many thanks for your reply. May I know how long did it take for you to hear back from them?

Had my applicant day on 10 December last year and heard back from them just after Christmas.

so quiet.....has anyone who attended Dec/Jan applicant day heard back?

deleted

Last edited:
Anyone has any idea when is the next applicant day in March?

No news from the admission yet. Has been 7 weeks urhghghghghghghg........
It's been 3 months for me and still counting, lol... So anxious. Anyone else from the November group is in the same situation as me?

When are they going to announce the decision??........does anyone know? :(

When are they going to announce the decision??........does anyone know? :(
I emailed them about two weeks ago, I was told applicants typically heard back around April.

I emailed them about two weeks ago, I was told applicants typically heard back around April.
oh okay.. thank you for letting me know.

would most of the applicants who hear back around April be the ones who didn't get accepted though?? since they are being notified so late?

Who is going to the upcoming interview session in LA? I called the hotel and they said they don't have an ORLY room... O_O

When is your applicant day in LA? I'm currently waiting for news in Singapore...

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly interested in Duke-NUS and plan to apply for either 2015 or 2016 intake(college junior now). I don't have much idea about how competitive Duke-NUS MD is, so can anyone predict me the chance and help me to decide which year to apply?

I'm international junior in a top10 LAC in US, GPA=3.71(messed up first year, fairly good upward tread with 4.0 in recent two semesters) sGPA 3.87, MCAT 38(PS13 V11 B14, taken last summer), 2 yrs of research in three cancer research labs with two second author publication and several posters/conferences, ~100 hour clinical volunteering&~50 hour shadowing, some leadership in EC.

I realize that my stat might get me into nowhere in US if I apply right at this summer for next year's intake, but how competitive is my stat for Duke-NUS(either MD or MD-PhD)? Could my research exp and MCAT help to compensate my GPA? I think about take a gap year after college to do full time research, get some first author paper published(heard Duke-NUS is research-focused) and include my last year GPA( better than 3.7 for sure). Do I need to do that in order to be competitive enough for Duke-NUS?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly interested in Duke-NUS and plan to apply for either 2015 or 2016 intake(college junior now). I don't have much idea about how competitive Duke-NUS MD is, so can anyone predict me the chance and help me to decide which year to apply?

I'm international junior in a top10 LAC in US, GPA=3.71(messed up first year, fairly good upward tread with 4.0 in recent two semesters) sGPA 3.87, MCAT 38(PS13 V11 B14, taken last summer), 2 yrs of research in three cancer research labs with two second author publication and several posters/conferences, ~100 hour clinical volunteering&~50 hour shadowing, some leadership in EC.

I realize that my stat might get me into nowhere in US if I apply right at this summer for next year's intake, but how competitive is my stat for Duke-NUS(either MD or MD-PhD)? Could my research exp and MCAT help to compensate my GPA? I think about take a gap year after college to do full time research, get some first author paper published(heard Duke-NUS is research-focused) and include my last year GPA( better than 3.7 for sure). Do I need to do that in order to be competitive enough for Duke-NUS?

Thanks for the help

Are you trolling with the comment "I realize that my stat might get me into nowhere in US if I apply right at this summer for next year's intake" ?????