2013-2014 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard of a few rejections. Probably the adcom has a tougher time deciding on the candidates this year as previous years around this time I saw the forum flooded with news.

Members don't see this ad.

When did you interview? I wish more applicants posted on this thread. And you said you heard of rejections? When were these rejections received. And are these SG applicants or International ones?

Hey guys,

Some updates here. A google group for incoming students was established yesterday. So far there are 23 students in the group. Looks like lots of spots are yet to be filled^-^.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Some updates here. A google group for incoming students was established yesterday. So far there are 23 students in the group. Looks like lots of spots are yet to be filled^-^.
Thanks, some insider info really helps! I was worrying most spots are filled.

Hey guys,

Thank you for the info. May I ask if among those 23 students, are there a lot of international applicants, or most of them are SG applicants?

Thank you for the info. May I ask if among those 23 students, are there a lot of international applicants, or most of them are SG applicants?

Can't tell. Most people haven't introduced themselves yet. But for those who have written a few lines, most are international.

Hi Type12, I attended the last applicant day in Singapore. The rejections I heard of were those in Singapore... One was a few months back, and the rest in early April.

Are there any singaporeans here who are choosing between Duke-NUS and a US med school? I would like to discuss the pros and cons of going back to SG with someone who is in a similar situation. Many thanks!
Hey I'm a SG PR and I'm not sure what your situation is but I'm kind of in a situation myself. It would be nice to have someone in a similar position to discuss this with. I've been accepted to Duke-NUS but also placed on waitlist for my number 1 medical school choice in US and I won't find out about their decision until June-end July. I'm not quite sure if I should keep waiting and what are the consequences if any.

Hey I'm a SG PR and I'm not sure what your situation is but I'm kind of in a situation myself. It would be nice to have someone in a similar position to discuss this with. I've been accepted to Duke-NUS but also placed on waitlist for my number 1 medical school choice in US and I won't find out about their decision until June-end July. I'm not quite sure if I should keep waiting and what are the consequences if any.

By any chance, did you interview on January 3rd?

Back to your question. If you are an American citizen (with SG PR), it would be prudent if you attended a US medical school since I heard that Duke-NUS will be cutting down on the number of graduates allowed to go to US for residency. I'm assuming you already have other acceptances and are just waiting for your number 1 waitlist to pan out?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to your question. If you are an American citizen (with SG PR), it would be prudent if you attended a US medical school since I heard that Duke-NUS will be cutting down on the number of graduates allowed to go to US for residency. I'm assuming you already have other acceptances and are just waiting for your number 1 waitlist to pan out?
Just curious, where did you hear this?

Actually I'm not an American citizen. I'm an international student here. And also the only acceptance I have is from Duke-NUS. I didn't get any other interviews except from my top choice here in the US and I've been placed on the waitlist.

Just asking dude. Wondering if any new candidates are awarded acceptance. I have yet to hear back from adcom.

Just asking dude. Wondering if any new candidates are awarded acceptance. I have yet to hear back from adcom.
Sorry, just jumpy myself since no one has heard back. Such a long wait!

Agree with you, really a long wait! Hopefully those accepted can give us an indication on how many spots are left.

Agree with you, really a long wait! Hopefully those accepted can give us an indication on how many spots are left.

Hey guys, there are 36 members in the group right now and at least 4 are admins. We're still missing half the class so best of luck!!

Oh man, that gets me worried! If people got acceptances recently (page went up from 23 to 36), then perhaps I got snail mail rejections? :-(

Hey guys, there are 36 members in the group right now and at least 4 are admins. We're still missing half the class so best of luck!!

This really gets me worried as well :( ... Their expecting class is about 56 right? Can you by any chance tell us about the Sin and International students ratio?

the admission office told me that they send decision via both mail and email...let's hope that they're just having a hard time choosing the last 1/3 of the class.

From a friend who is currently a med student there, I heard they are finalizing the acceptances and rejections this week. So we should see the Google group member number increase quickly.

From a friend who is currently a med student there, I heard they are finalizing the acceptances and rejections this week. So we should see the Google group member number increase quickly.
Were you accepted? I lost track of you! :) OMG, if this is true, I'm dying with fright and hope.

the admission office told me that they send decision via both mail and email...let's hope that they're just having a hard time choosing the last 1/3 of the class.
I think they send acceptances via email, and rejections via snail mail (based on previous Duke-NUS threads). I wish both were electronic....

Hey type12,

I'm hoping they're doing things differently this year. I was told that they send email for all decisions. No reason they'd lie about how they communicate admission decision right? :)

Hey type12,

I'm hoping they're doing things differently this year. I was told that they send email for all decisions. No reason they'd lie about how they communicate admission decision right? :)
You're not helping! OMG, I primed myself to be hopeful if I get an email and fretful if I didn't when everyone on the forum did. Now I have to freak out when the email arrives.

Thanks a lot man. Geeeeeeez. :)

If it's this week, it means either today or tomorrow since Friday is a public holiday. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

If it's this week, it means either today or tomorrow since Friday is a public holiday. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Or decide who to admit/reject/wait-list this week and formulate letters next week!!!! This would mean an email from them maybe at the of next week. LOLOLOLOL!!!!

This really gets me worried as well :( ... Their expecting class is about 56 right? Can you by any chance tell us about the Sin and International students ratio?

It's hard to tell because only half of the ~32 students on there (36 minus ~4 admins) have wrote to introduce themselves so far. But of those people, it looks like the ratio is almost exactly 50/50.

Yeah oh shucks :( Not sure but heard that the decisions should have been finalized by early April. Maybe everyone has been invited to the Google group, but not all have accepted the invites yet I guess..

Yeah oh shucks :( Not sure but heard that the decisions should have been finalized by early April. Maybe everyone has been invited to the Google group, but not all have accepted the invites yet I guess..

... that's so depressing... :(
did they send out decision letters to the applicants in US too?

... that's so depressing... :(
did they send out decision letters to the applicants in US too?
you both are such downers. Cheer up!

Reactions: 1 users
Likely to see some movement on waitlist

Last edited:
For those who have been accepted, could you describe the amount of financial aid/scholarship received? I'm still waiting for mine and would like to get a rough gauge of how much I can get.
Can I ask when you were accepted?

Thanks for the advice. :D I was anxious because everyone seems to use either examkraker or the princeton review.
Take it from a guy that looked them all over and ultimately chose TBR- those books are solid gold. I scored a 35 (12/11/12) with TBR and a bit of EK (to supplement orgo and bio, my strong subjects). Good luck.

Edit: And then I realized that post was a year old lol.

Did anyone by chance call the school to check on status?

Grrrr, my roommmates have been very active on SDN these past few days. I get too excited seeing the thread alerts thinking it's this thread, the only one I post on! (Type12 --> 3 people, I'm blood type A (the 1), two of them are blood type B (the 2) = type12).

It's convenient, but during this time, it's annoying!

Did anyone by chance call the school to check on status?
I am very tempted to do so but I don't want to look too rush as I already asked them earlier this year. But I don't know how long I can hold on, lol

Reactions: 1 user
I am very tempted to do so but I don't want to look too rush as I already asked them earlier this year. But I don't know how long I can hold on, lol
Same! I already called as well. Do not want to bother them too much. =/

I called last week and received the same standard reply... To wait.

I definitely can't call...in the last email communication I had with the admissions office, which occurred about 2 weeks ago, I was told that it's quite typical for students to hear back in June/July....

Serious...? June/July is so late. The school starts in July right? Haha. Any kind soul can update the numbers on portal? Thanks!

Saying June/July would keep pesky students like us away ;p

What's the matter? Did you hear back from them?

I heard there are 54 students in the group already. :(