2013-2014 East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Usually the requirement is living in the state for 12 months prior to matriculation. But you've got to transfer everything to that state. i.e driver's license, car registration/plates, etc. You can probably look up on ETSU's website, they usually have a thing in admissions that spells out all the requirements.

I'm not 100% about this but Tennessee time period in which you have to reside in the state in order to be considered a resident. You just have to demonstrate the intent to stay permanently in Tennessee by establishing domicile. I did a little bit of research on this topic about three years ago after moving out of and then back to TN. However, you should definitely do more research to find out for sure. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything yet? The committee met yesterday and they said they would try to let everyone know today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you guys too... really bummed, but trying to stay positive.

So for the people who have gone through this, if we are placed on active hold do we typically have to wait until the spring/summer to hear anything back?

active hold as well. already sitting on an acceptance so this hold is more annoying than it is disappointing.

Does anyone want to start a Facebook group for the Class of 2018?

If you know how, please get it started! Looking forward to seeing pics of and communicating with fellow students on Facebook!

Just had my interviews here...I don't think mine were super fantastic bc the subject of me being accepted to other schools was brought up, but it could have been worse :). Definitely love the school and what it represents!

Just had my interviews here...I don't think mine were super fantastic bc the subject of me being accepted to other schools was brought up, but it could have been worse :). Definitely love the school and what it represents!

AH! That's scary. I didn't even know they could do that!

Anyone know when the committee will meet again?

Hey, I'm scheduled for an interview Jan. 29? Is that a good time for an interview? Do I have a fairly good shot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm scheduled for an interview Jan. 29? Is that a good time for an interview? Do I have a fairly good shot?

I think the tour guides at my interview day said something about not interviewing until late January/February. According to the incoming class of 2014 stats on the web site, not even half of the maximum class size has been offered an acceptance, much less matriculated. Although, those stats are due for an update.

You definitely have a good shot. I have several friends in our class that did not interview until then. Giving you an interview means they've decided you are capable of becoming a physician. Now they want to get to know you and see if you're a good fit for our medical school. Good luck!

Interview on Thursday Jan, 23. Hooray!

Anyone else on here interviewing then?

I received an email from Quillen stating that we are going to have a new Dean. That is really exciting news! I wonder what changes and/or additions he will bring to the Quillen community.

Reactions: 1 user

I kind of doubt it. He's replacing Dr. Bagnell, who retired last summer and isn't named in the suit. For those of us still on the hold list, it also included an update about acceptances going out slower than usual and to not give up because we might still get accepted. Or maybe not. The gist of the email sort of reminded me of this:

At any rate, it was nice to be acknowledged. So there's that.

I kind of doubt it. He's replacing Dr. Bagnell, who retired last summer and isn't named in the suit. For those of us still on the hold list, it also included an update about acceptances going out slower than usual and to not give up because we might still get accepted. Or maybe not. The gist of the email sort of reminded me of this:

At any rate, it was nice to be acknowledged. So there's that.

HAHAHAHA you are so right! That made me lol.

Honestly not surprised by this
Why is that?

Dr. Olive who is named in the article is the interim dean, while Dr. Bagnell, who retired last summer, was our previous dean. We are all excited about our new dean, Dr. Means, and what he will bring to Quillen.

honestly not surprised this school is getting sued for discrimination.

Well I'm sorry to hear that. I have certainly never heard of any complaints similar to the article above. I also think it is important to see how it all plays out. There are always two sides to a story.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% about this but Tennessee time period in which you have to reside in the state in order to be considered a resident. You just have to demonstrate the intent to stay permanently in Tennessee by establishing domicile. I did a little bit of research on this topic about three years ago after moving out of and then back to TN. However, you should definitely do more research to find out for sure. Good luck.

I wanted to avoid posting on SDN since I'm now a student, but I have to address this post. Based on my experience, the guidelines outlined above are not practiced by ETSU. I had been living in the state of Tennessee since 2005 (a graduate of University of Memphis), and I've been rejected two years in a row (2012 and 2013 cycles) at ETSU as an out of state resident. I was not the only Memphis-area applicant with this problem in the 2011-2012 cycle. Luckily, I was accepted at another institution.....but I am still suspicious of ETSU's application process.

Last edited:
I interviewed dec 11, an got acceptance call and email today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Sorry for the lurking; I am OOS, and was not placed on a wait list. Best of luck to those of you who are still waiting.
I didn't think I had a shot at acceptance, but i submitted the App anyway. After interviewing I was super impressed with the program, for many of the reasons posted here.

I interviewed dec 11, an got acceptance call and email today.

Congrats! I was hoping to hear good news today as well but I suppose no news is not the end of the world.

Active hold today. Interviewed 12/19. OOS applicant. :(

Interviewed 12/11. Active hold today. AHHH the wait list has to be huge by now

Does anyone know anything about the one full ride scholarship that they offer per year? I got into Memphis and etsu and right now I think I'm going with Memphis but if I got that scholarship (or one that paid a vast majority of my expense) at etsu I'd go in a heartbeat. The lady in the financial aid said she couldn't give me any statistics about it because apparently it is new and they only have the first one ever last year.

I've got an interview coming up this week...are there still spots open?? Or is this way too late for an interview. Ughhh this process!! I'm in-state if that helps any. Thanks.

I've got an interview coming up this week...are there still spots open?? Or is this way too late for an interview. Ughhh this process!! I'm in-state if that helps any. Thanks.

They've still got 2 (maybe 3?) meetings to go in February/March before they form the final wait list. According to their web site, they've offered 74 acceptances so far, but obviously not all of those will matriculate.

They've still got 2 (maybe 3?) meetings to go in February/March before they form the final wait list. According to their web site, they've offered 74 acceptances so far, but obviously not all of those will matriculate.
Okay that makes sense. So hopefully plenty of room for the late interviewees like me!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

My spot will most likely open up eventually lol. If makes ya feel any better

Looks like last year they gave 122 acceptances, so if that holds true then quite a few of the active holds will get in I'm assuming (and hoping)

Does anyone have any idea on a timeline to expect for people to start dropping their spots and the waitlist to start getting acceptances once that process begins?

Oh, so this means when I interview next week it will be for the wait list? I hope I can get that at least. I don't want a rejection lol.

Oh, so this means when I interview next week it will be for the wait list? I hope I can get that at least. I don't want a rejection lol.

Not necessarily. I'm sure they'll continue to accept people straight after their interviews as many currently accepted applicants will drop their acceptance at the May 15th deadline.

Is the next adcom meeting next Monday?

Hey y'all. First of all, to the people on the waitlist, keep persevering. I was waitlisted last year and didn't get accepted. I reapplied this year and got accepted during the first committee meeting after my interview...sometime around October something. Secondly, I am going to create a Facebook page for the class of 2018. It will be closed so anyone that wants to be invited will need to send me a message on there! Looking forward to beginning this huge endeavor with my classmates!!!!

Hi, all. Just thought I'd get on here and ask if anyone heard any news today. I interviewed mid December and was placed on active hold mid January. I absolutely loved my visit/interivew and am really excited to hear any news. I hope all's going well with everyone and his/her admissions cycle. Good luck!

Hi, all. Just thought I'd get on here and ask if anyone heard any news today. I interviewed mid December and was placed on active hold mid January. I absolutely loved my visit/interivew and am really excited to hear any news. I hope all's going well with everyone and his/her admissions cycle. Good luck!

Same. No news since January. :(

The committee met Yesterday. I interviewed 1/27 and was place on active hold this morning.