2013-2014 East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted this morning by phone call!!! I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity to attend Quillen!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been accepted this morning as well!! I've already confirmed my seat lol. I will withdraw my other applications since this school is amazing. I can't express how much I enjoyed my visit. Everyone has been very friendly, and the institution itself is splendid.

How do I join the Facebook page?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted yesterday! ETSU is my first choice, so I've withdrawn my application elsewhere. UT's letter came today and I was put on hold, but it's ok because I wanted to go to ETSU. Just waiting on my official acceptance packet to come in the mail :D

I created a Facebook page for the class starting in 2014 (class of 2018). Please PM me to join. Once you join, you can invite other people/future students as well.

Last edited:
Which Facebook group is the official one for the c/o 2018? I see that there are three of them, and I do not know which one to join.

I am going to be applying to QCOM in this upcoming cycle. Due to financial circumstances I have had to attend a community college up until this point, however, this summer I will be going to a 4 year college to finish my Org. chem and phys II before I take the MCAT in July. I will have my bachelors done by matriculation. Since, at the current time, I don't have many 4 year college credits, can I expect to get denied an interview here? My GPA is 3.8 and I am a strong student. I am an in-state student as well and have quite a bit hands-on clinical experience. What are your opinions?

I am going to be applying to QCOM in this upcoming cycle. Due to financial circumstances I have had to attend a community college up until this point, however, this summer I will be going to a 4 year college to finish my Org. chem and phys II before I take the MCAT in July. I will have my bachelors done by matriculation. Since, at the current time, I don't have many 4 year college credits, can I expect to get denied an interview here? My GPA is 3.8 and I am a strong student. I am an in-state student as well and have quite a bit hands-on clinical experience. What are your opinions?

I think what will be important for your situation is to contact one of the admissions counselors and get their opinion. In my experience with them, they have been extremely honest and helpful. Therefore, I believe they will really help clear some areas that you may be unsure of, and if they think you need more 4 year university credits then that may be what you have to do.

I agree with FutureDoc on this one. Your MCAT score will also play a role as well. You have a good gpa, and if you have strong EC's (you've already stated you have good clinical experience), I think you'll be okay to get an interview. Apply early, even if your MCAT score isn't back yet. It'll get the ball rolling more quickly. I could very well be wrong, but I don't think your community college background will be that big of a deal. You've shown that you are a good student there, and you have the opportunity to show that you're capable of handling courses at a 4-year school with Ochem and Phys II. If anyone asks about your CC courses, simply explain to them your story and "financial circumstances". Its all about your overall package.

All that being said, the best way to find out is to call the admissions office and ask. They're very nice people.

@JCTWP46, do you know when we should expect info. to be sent out on required vaccinations/titers, financial aid, and the like.

@JCTWP46, do you know when we should expect info. to be sent out on required vaccinations/titers, financial aid, and the like.

I don't believe that I have the emails I received from last year saved, so I'm not 100% sure. However, I remember financial aid info wasn't sent out until the summer (May or June), because I was already living in JC and received it at my new address. You can go to the page below and follow the links to find out more info. on vaccinations and insurance. I didn't have all that taken care of until June. I was busy and decided to put a lot of it off until after I moved here. The immunizations shouldn't have changed much, if any at all, so you could probably get started with that. I would imagine the school will send the info to you by May at the latest. Also, if you can stay on a family member's insurance or find your own through another source, it is usually recommended. I have yet to hear anything positive about the insurance the school offers. Hope this helps.

http://www.etsu.edu/com/studentsvcs/healthcareinsurance//default.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate and I interviewed on the same day last month. He received an email this morning saying he was in the holding category. I haven't received anything. We are both in the holding category for Memphis. Does this mean I'm getting a snail mail rejection letter? It seems like the most likely scenario after reading about phone call acceptances and emails for active holding. :nailbiting:

My roommate and I interviewed on the same day last month. He received an email this morning saying he was in the holding category. I haven't received anything. We are both in the holding category for Memphis. Does this mean I'm getting a snail mail rejection letter? It seems like the most likely scenario after reading about phone call acceptances and emails for active holding. :nailbiting:

I am in the same situation as you Vanna27. I think everyone who was going to get wait listed got wait listed yesterday since QCOM's website admission statistics were updated as of 03/11/14. The phone calls all over this website also made me suspicious of being rejected. Nevertheless, I know of a woman last semester that will be entering this Fall that wasn't called but accepted by snail mail. I would say that they do not reject most applicants immediately after the interview stage. Once you get to an interview, they are already interested in you attending the school. Therefore, I would say that most applicants that are competitive but are on the borderline for admission are placed on the wait list instead of being flat out rejected. I know that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box at times, but I definitely do not think that my interviews were so terrible as to get an immediate rejection. Who knows? Only time will give us an answer.

Last edited:
I hope you are right. I'm on pins and needles wondering what is going to happen. Thanks for the post. It gave me some much needed optimism.

For those who are active holding category, have you heard anything lately? Or do you know when the next time we will hear something? I know the adcom was meeting about once a month during interviews, but since they are over now, do you think they will meet again in April?

For those who are active holding category, have you heard anything lately? Or do you know when the next time we will hear something? I know the adcom was meeting about once a month during interviews, but since they are over now, do you think they will meet again in April?

I've been on hold since December and haven't heard a peep.

i'm thinking about applying to ETSU this upcoming cycle and was wondering what you guys think my chances are here at this school with my stats? my family and i recently moved to johnson city so i'll be able to put down tennessee as my new state of residence. it'd be nice to be able to get accepted to a school so close to home.
3.5 cGPA (with a 3.95 cGPA over past 4 years) - bad first year of college
3.8 sGPA (with a 4.0 sGPA over past 4 years and solid A's in bio/gen chem/physics/orgo pre-reqs)
33 MCAT (14B, 11P, 8V)
also: biology major with chemistry minor

When is the next committee meeting? I'm curious as to when the cycle actually closes for interviews?

I think the cycle closed at the end of February/early March. The committee met on March 10 last month, and I heard from my interviewer that they gave out all acceptances to fill the class. Now the thing to do is to wait until (hopefully) some reject those invitations.

I think the cycle closed at the end of February/early March. The committee met on March 10 last month, and I heard from my interviewer that they gave out all acceptances to fill the class. Now the thing to do is to wait until (hopefully) some reject those invitations.
So do you think it would be a good time to contact them to see where we are on the waitlist? Do they typically give that information out?

So do you think it would be a good time to contact them to see where we are on the waitlist? Do they typically give that information out?
From what I understood from the waitlist email, they won't really tell you where you stand on the waitlist, but that may be wrong. Does anyone know when things generally start moving along a little more?

I got accepted!!!! I am so excited. This was my first choice! I can't wait to start!!!! :happy:

I got accepted!!!! I am so excited. This was my first choice! I can't wait to start!!!! :happy:
Congrats! Did you get accepted from being on hold or right after your interview?

No one has posted in here in awhile! Does anyone know when the committee meets next? Maybe after May 15? Hopefully we will see some shifts soon!

Hi everyone,

Just letting y'all know I've withdrawn my spot on the waitlist here at QCOM. I spoke with Mr. Taylor and he said that they were expecting some turnover around this time. I hope it helps one of y'all. Take care! Godspeed on becoming docs! :)

I haven't posted on here before but thought I would since ETSU is my choice as I begin applying for the 2014-15 cycle. I will be grateful for anyone who can give me an estimation of my chance. My stats are:
-Born and raised in East Tennessee
-4.0 cumulative gpa, ranked first in my class
-Pre-Med (Biology Major) with a chemistry minor
-Attended a small liberal arts school for undergrad
-Took physics Iand II at ETSU and made A's in both
-I am taking the MCAT in August and I expect to make around 30 based on practice tests
-I am a 3 yr NCAA student athlete, 3 year captain of my team, 3 time MVP, and two time academic all American in cross country/track
-Resident assistant
-Tutor for science classes at my school and ETSU
-Approximately 100 hrs of shadowing under an etsu quillen alum
-400 hrs volunteer work, some medically related
-Organized a fitness program involving approximately 100 people (won a state level award from the American heart association)
-Numerous other leadership roles (student ambassador, president of student athlete advisory committee, judicial board rep)
-Letters of rec from advisor - vandy med school alum, the quillen alum, the president of my school, and my coach.

In addition to ETSU I also plan on applying to UT, vandy, and some other schools in the southeast. Any suggestions???
I hope to hear back from someone, thanks in advance!

I haven't posted on here before but thought I would since ETSU is my choice as I begin applying for the 2014-15 cycle. I will be grateful for anyone who can give me an estimation of my chance. My stats are:
-Born and raised in East Tennessee
-4.0 cumulative gpa, ranked first in my class
-Pre-Med (Biology Major) with a chemistry minor
-Attended a small liberal arts school for undergrad
-Took physics Iand II at ETSU and made A's in both
-I am taking the MCAT in August and I expect to make around 30 based on practice tests
-I am a 3 yr NCAA student athlete, 3 year captain of my team, 3 time MVP, and two time academic all American in cross country/track
-Resident assistant
-Tutor for science classes at my school and ETSU
-Approximately 100 hrs of shadowing under an etsu quillen alum
-400 hrs volunteer work, some medically related
-Organized a fitness program involving approximately 100 people (won a state level award from the American heart association)
-Numerous other leadership roles (student ambassador, president of student athlete advisory committee, judicial board rep)
-Letters of rec from advisor - vandy med school alum, the quillen alum, the president of my school, and my coach.

In addition to ETSU I also plan on applying to UT, vandy, and some other schools in the southeast. Any suggestions???
I hope to hear back from someone, thanks in advance!

First off, best of luck in the upcoming cycle. I have spent a lot of time around Quillen, and, as an upcoming M1 here, I feel like I can answer some of those questions.
-Being born and raised in East Tennessee definitely helps your chances. I think 67-68 out of 72 students are in state so it doesn't hurt.
-4.0 GPA puts you way above average there, but GPA is only one checkmark of many more that are necessary.
-Not much to say about major/minor.
-School attended doesn't factor in much.
-Taking physics at ETSU won't help a whole lot. You didn't attend undergrad there the whole time so no real bonus for that.
-Red flag here. Waiting to take the MCAT in August means you won't get your score back until September, really late in the allopathic cycle. However, most schools will still process your application without an MCAT up to an interview I believe, but nonetheless, the longer you put yourself behind in the application process, the lower your chances get.
-The athletics will look very attractive. I have heard the admissions office say they really like athletes because of certain characteristics non-collegiate athletes don't have.
-RA looks good, it's a leadership role.
-The tutoring, volunteer work, and shadowing should look good as long as it was meaningful and you feel you can appropriately express your experiences in thought provoking emotional responses.
-All other leadership stuff checks out, as well as, the LORs.
-For the schools, unless you murder the MCAT I would leave Vandy off, as a 30 probably wouldn't do the trick, but for the other schools I would recommend purchasing the MSAR from AAMC. Then, use that to search the schools to see if your stats line up.

Overall, I think your chances look pretty good. However, from this whole process I have learned that it's all about making the school fall in love with you before they ever meet you. This comes from excellent essays in your AMCAS app and the supplemental stuff you'll more than likely get. Get as many people as you can to read your essays for both content and grammar. If people are emotionally responsive to your essays, you'll be golden. Also, remember to answer these questions: for primary AMCAS - why do you want to be a physician? and for supplemental essays - why do you want to get your medical education at this school? I really hope this helps DavidRunsTC. Once again, best of luck.