2013-2014 Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay prompt will go here. PM me when it's available. GL all!

Members don't see this ad.

hey all!

i'm applying and i'm excited about this school.

i read it is a bit newer. i think 2008. i'd love to get some comments/insight about this school from current applicants, students, or alumni.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here with a 3.8/30 from California. Good luck everyone!

Thank you, I've been thinking about this school and applying will anyone give me insight on school? Mission? Why you choose it? Thanks!

I chose this school because it has a lot of promise. The school itself
Is nice and on the rise. Everything coming our way (including the curriculum) is new and has the potential to do some really great things. Some say it is a gamble but i take it as an opportunity to be apart of something up and coming and special. I also think the faculty here are very invested in helping us to succeed. The school is new so without immediate success from the first four classes, the school won't have a leg to stand on. That's why I think the school really is going to put everything in to making sure as students we are prepared and are some of the best medical students (and future doctors) in the country. Just my two cents : )

Added Hofstra :) Good luck to everyone applying :luck:

I chose this school because it has a lot of promise. The school itself
Is nice and on the rise. Everything coming our way (including the curriculum) is new and has the potential to do some really great things. Some say it is a gamble but i take it as an opportunity to be apart of something up and coming and special. I also think the faculty here are very invested in helping us to succeed. The school is new so without immediate success from the first four classes, the school won't have a leg to stand on. That's why I think the school really is going to put everything in to making sure as students we are prepared and are some of the best medical students (and future doctors) in the country. Just my two cents : )

What year are you at Hofstra?

I just received a confirmation email that they received my AMCAS! Definitely exciting! Secondary should be coming soon!

Secondary received! Doesn't look too bad. Here are the questions:

2. If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now.

3. If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time.

5. Please share anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention.

All character limits are 1500. They also ask you to upload a photo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! Doesn't look too bad. Here are the questions:

2. If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now.

3. If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time.

5. Please share anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention.

All character limits are 1500. They also ask you to upload a photo.

These seem like pretty optional essays.

Anybody else after secondary completion has it say that they have NOT received the letters of recommendation despite AMCAS already having the LoRs weeks ago? Does it take time for them to process LoRs from AMCAS? I'm only asking this question because another school said that they had my LoRs from AMCAS already, so I don't know why the difference (aside from processing time of course).

Is anyone not seeing their picture uploaded?

Are those of you who got your secondary already nontrad? I know we're supposed to wait a week for processing of AMCAS materials but I'm nervous that I haven't gotten mine yet!

Are those of you who got your secondary already nontrad? I know we're supposed to wait a week for processing of AMCAS materials but I'm nervous that I haven't gotten mine yet!
I also haven't received one, so they're probably just doing it in batches. It'll probably come tomorrow or the next day.

I'm applying as nonTrad. Been out if undergrad about 3 years now. Got the app today around 4:30PM.

Is anyone not seeing their picture uploaded?

Mine said it uploaded correctly but was showing me a question mark/broken link symbol. I called this morning, and the women who helped me told me she could see my picture on her end. My picture had apparently uploaded just fine so it's possible yours has as well.

Mine said it uploaded correctly but was showing me a question mark/broken link symbol. I called this morning, and the women who helped me told me she could see my picture on her end. My picture had apparently uploaded just fine so it's possible yours has as well.

What # did you call? I can't find the phone # on their site :/

do spaces count as characters in the hofstra application?

What are you guys talking about in the "any other info" text box?

My school sends along a 4 page autobiography with our committee letter so I really don't know if there is anything else I can talk about!!!

to those who applied to the school previously, did you guys write anything for the last question, where it asks us to share anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention??? Reply would be greatly appreciated!!!

thank you!!!!!!

Just got a secondary today; anyone who's waiting yours are coming soon probably.

to those who applied to the school previously, did you guys write anything for the last question, where it asks us to share anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention??? Reply would be greatly appreciated!!!

thank you!!!!!!
I did write a response for the last question, though I do not think it was necessary. I wrote three paragraphs about how Hofstra would be a great fit for me. I would look on their website to gain a general understanding of their philosophy and curriculum, and then see how it fits with your personality, interests, and experiences. I was granted an interview here.

I am a bit confused about my application status. I am still waiting for my pre-health advisor to send my committee letter to AMCAS (which I hope will be next week). However, I submitted my secondary to Hofstra today and because I had three other letters entered into AMCAS (which have already been received) it says my file is complete and ready for review. I want them to wait for my committee letter though because I assigned it to them in AMCAS.

Anyone know what is going on with this? Same thing happened for Oakland.

I am a bit confused about my application status. I am still waiting for my pre-health advisor to send my committee letter to AMCAS (which I hope will be next week). However, I submitted my secondary to Hofstra today and because I had three other letters entered into AMCAS (which have already been received) it says my file is complete and ready for review. I want them to wait for my committee letter though because I assigned it to them in AMCAS.

Anyone know what is going on with this? Same thing happened for Oakland.

Anyone?

submitted, my picture didn't work either but said it went through so I'm sure that's normal.

Hofstra only looks at apps in September onwards?

Is the last question (the one about list any additional information) optional?

For the record, here's the screen information, although it's unchanged from last year:

Applicants must possess the following to be eligible for consideration.

US citizenship or permanent residency
Bachelor's degree from a US or Canadian institution

Applicants who possess the following will be invited to complete a supplemental application via email:

A composite MCAT score of at least 25, taken within the past three years
An overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0

For the record, here's the screen information, although it's unchanged from last year:

Applicants must possess the following to be eligible for consideration.

US citizenship or permanent residency
Bachelor's degree from a US or Canadian institution

Applicants who possess the following will be invited to complete a supplemental application via email:

A composite MCAT score of at least 25, taken within the past three years
An overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0

The Bachelor's degree is required prior to matriculation, not application...right?

Are anyone's letters showing up as "received"?

I'm wondering how long it will be before I'm marked complete

I was complete on the 3rd after submitting it on the 2nd

I'm in the same boat Entadus. I submitted this one awhile ago and I am still not complete.

\

my letters are received. you should call

When did AMCAS receive your letters? AMCAS just processed mine this Tuesday, so I'm hesitant about calling individual schools until it has at least been a week or two.

When did AMCAS receive your letters? AMCAS just processed mine this Tuesday, so I'm hesitant about calling individual schools until it has at least been a week or two.

like literally the day after. it was quick.

like literally the day after. it was quick.

I meant what day precisely, since AMCAS did not process my letters til after I had been verified awhile.

I guess I will start calling schools next week, then...

I meant what day precisely, since AMCAS did not process my letters til after I had been verified awhile.

I guess I will start calling schools next week, then...

On my notes I put down July 3rd.

Ah okay. I have July 9th for mine. I will call the schools next week; thanks for the heads-up!

AMCAS received my last letter yesterday and so did the med schools that I called today. Appears to be pretty automatic!

I called Hofstra today since my letters were into AMCAS 6 days ago and they still weren't showing up as received.

The person answering their phone said that the amcas and secondary websites don't always communicate right away. He said I shouldn't worry about it