2013-2014 Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know when waitlist movement usually starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tell us more about this, because on the interview day spiel I heard everything about how you're graded on effort and interest and not ability to get coffee or answer pimp questions, and that you even have the opportunity to retake shelf exams.

Current Hofstra MS3,

This is my first post on SDN, and I just wanted to clarify some of the comments my classmate have made.

From talking to my friends who are either in medical school currently or who have graduated already, most medical schools will "grade" their students on 1. objective tests (i.e. shelf exams) and 2. subjective evaluations (i.e. resident/attending feedback). Then, they will normalize both sets of grades according to a standard curve. Obviously, the evaluations need to be converted to a point system. Finally, cutoffs will be established for honors, high pass, pass, fail.

In order to get honors for a rotation, you will have to separately get above the honors cutoff for both the shelf exam AND the subjective evaluations, which makes getting honors very difficult and prestigious.

At Hofstra, the only difference is that we have a lot more categories that contribute to our grade. Rather than 50% shelf exam and 50% evaluations, the grading breakdown (roughly) is 25% shelf exams, 25% evaluations, 25% end-of-cycle exam week (includes standardized patient encounters and oral presentations), and 25% administrative stuff (i.e. write ups, turning in assignments on time, etc). The advantage is that by spreading out the things that contributes to an overall grade, just having a bad day when taking the shelf exam will not tank your overall grade as much. The disadvantage is that the system gets complicated. For example, we originally had end-of-cycle essay exams, but that was changed to oral presentations, and thus the grading breakdown changed.

I think my classmate's biggest complaint is that when changes happen (which is inevitable b/c we are the first class), the different categories that make up our grade changes in weight. However, this will not really be an issue after this year, as the school will use our feedback and settle on an established scheme. So far, around 20% of the students got honors in the respective rotations; my gut feeling is that the number of students who get honors will stabilize around 15-17%, as the class size gets bigger.

I disagree that "Hofstra students don't know what they need to do to get a certain grade" in third year. If you are nice on the wards and try to be part of the team, you will get good evaluations (aka same as everyone else who was nice). Therefore, as subjective as evaluations are, they do not differentiate between students. What will truly determine grades will be the objective tests, such as the shelf exam and the end-of-cycle standardized patient encounters. This is the reality no matter which medical school you go to.

In conclusion, Hofstra's grading system is a bit more complicated than those at other schools. Personally, I like the fact that the objective measures are split between the shelf exam and standardized patient encounters; this is very good preparation for step 2 CS and CK and allows students who are weaker standardized test takers (like myself) to shine during patient encounters. On the other hand, the Hofstra grading system is by no means perfect and can definitely improve. The required write ups need to have more clear guidelines. There still needs to be a bit more standardization in the form that residents/attendings fill out for student evaluations.

Reactions: 1 users
The class of 2018 facebook group is already at 78 and its only April 3rd. Seems like they will be taking a lot less than half the class from the wait list this year as opposed to last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
some people in the group could be holding multiple acceptances...plus im sure some people from the class of 2017 are in that group

Worried about the growing numbers on the FB c/o 2018 group as well; I'm sure the numbers may spike after re-visit weekend. Has anyone been admitted off the W/L yet?

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know what the deal is with the "Request a Secondary Application" for those who've received less than a 25 MCAT or have a GPA lower than 3.0? I know it's intended for those with "extraordinary" UG or post-bacc clinical/scientific experience, but I'm still a little bit confused about this? Thanks!

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know what the deal is with the "Request a Secondary Application" for those who've received less than a 25 MCAT or have a GPA lower than 3.0? I know it's intended for those with "extraordinary" UG or post-bacc clinical/scientific experience, but I'm still a little bit confused about this? Thanks!

i think its pretty much what you said. Request in you have stats lower than those but have something in your app that can possibly shine over those weaknesses. something like 2.8gpa. but high mcat and very extensive/unique activities or something along those lines

What's the deal with 3rd/4th clinical years and the NS-LIJ health system? Will students have the ability to choose which sites they'd like to rotate at? Like if they wanted to do some blocks at Lennox Hill and others at North Shore University Hospital and others at LIJMC? - or are all the rotations done at one hospital?

On the financial aid award, does anyone know if the "NSLIJ Scholarships" are need-based aid or merit-based? I know the website says that most scholarships are need-based, but I was just curious if anyone had anymore info about this :)

On the financial aid award, does anyone know if the "NSLIJ Scholarships" are need-based aid or merit-based? I know the website says that most scholarships are need-based, but I was just curious if anyone had anymore info about this :)
Wait, when did award letters come out? I thought we were supposed to be notified via e-mail? I don't have access to a regular computer right now so can someone let me know if they are available somewhere online? Thanks.

Wait, when did award letters come out? I thought we were supposed to be notified via e-mail? I don't have access to a regular computer right now so can someone let me know if they are available somewhere online? Thanks.

I got an email today with a couple of attachments and there was also some stuff on my online Hofstra account.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance! I hope it goes to one of you guys!

What's the deal with 3rd/4th clinical years and the NS-LIJ health system? Will students have the ability to choose which sites they'd like to rotate at? Like if they wanted to do some blocks at Lennox Hill and others at North Shore University Hospital and others at LIJMC? - or are all the rotations done at one hospital?
Does anyone know Hofstra's average board scores last yr?

1. You will rotate at either North Shore University Hospital or Long Island Jewish Hospital for your 3rd year core clinical rotations. Pediatrics will be at the Cohen's Children's Hospital and psychiatry will be at Zucker Hillside Hospital, both on the LIJ campus. You will have the opportunity to rotate at Lennox Hill Hospital in your 4th year subinternships.

2. I believe the average board score was 234-235.

So is the consensus now that PBL is an efficient way of learning mass quantities of info?

Yay! just accepted off the wait list. Darn this is difficult. I was already set on going elsewhere. Now I have to rethink things.

Last edited:
Yay! just accepted off the wait list. Darn this is difficult. I was already set on going elsewhere. Now I have to rethink things.
did you send an interest letter prior to be accepted?

Just withdrew my spot, hope it goes to one of you :)

Does anyone know how many hours of EMT you have to work for first or second year?

Is not being allowed to perform anatomy lab dissections a negative for Hofstra?

yeah I was wondering about the anatomy experience as well. Is it hands off in that instructors dissect everything for us or do they just demonstrate the more difficult things and leave us to the more standard dissections? I find it very difficult to imagine a medical school that does not allow students to cut open cadavers for themselves as that sounds pretty backwards and would be crappy for aspiring surgeons. I think there is something fundamental missing in my understanding of how Hofstra's anatomy lab works differently from other schools.

yeah I was wondering about the anatomy experience as well. Is it hands off in that instructors dissect everything for us or do they just demonstrate the more difficult things and leave us to the more standard dissections? I find it very difficult to imagine a medical school that does not allow students to cut open cadavers for themselves as that sounds pretty backwards and would be crappy for aspiring surgeons. I think there is something fundamental missing in my understanding of how Hofstra's anatomy lab works differently from other schools.

So there are a couple of dissections left to students but something you will realize shortly after your surgical rotation in first year is that cutting a cadaver and cutting a living body are nothing alike. The only skill you gain in a traditional lab that prepares you for surgery is perhaps how to hold a scalpel. But I assure you you'll learn that here too. The anatomy lab at traditional schools is largely a waste of time. You waste a lot of time looking for something you don't know how to recognize and then memorize it all to forget it later. The reason I know this is because I took an anatomy lab in college and we shared the space with the medical students. We had the same curriculum except that we didn't have to learn head and neck anatomy while they did. At Hofstra, the greatest thing about lab is that you don't waste time finding things. Instead you utilize your time identifying structures that have been dissected for you (so they are well preserved) and then you expand your knowledge by talking about the various functions, histology, physiology and pathologies of those structures. The Hofstra anatomy lab is a year long experience that incorporates everything to do with anatomy which is especially helpful in terms of remembering things that are clinically relevant and also preparing for boards. If you have more questions PM me.

Accepted off the waitlist! You guys. This is amazing. I sent in a letter of intent.

Reactions: 1 users
Got in off the waitlist!!! I was literally planning to send in a letter of intent tonight lol

Anybody get accepted with similar stats: 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, and 25 MCAT? lol
FYI, I didn't apply for this cycle but was planning on doing so for 2015 entry.

Nice congrats! So you think I should bring that score up huh? I'm a URM, so I don't know if that'll work to my advantage.
Yeahhh I got interviews/waitlists elsewhere but I think it's because of my ECs and not my stats. It can only help.

Anyone know if Hofstra likes local students? It's one of my top choices, and I plan to write on their secondary about how I have lived in the area my entire life (I'm 2 towns over from Hempstead), and would like to work with patients during medical school from my home area.

Would any current student be able to speak about away rotations at Hofstra (are you allowed to take them and if so, how many)? And are there chances for a global health experience (whether its during the summer after M1 or a full rotation during M4)?

Just got accepted off the waitlist at noon! Words can't even express the feelings of a first acceptance!!

Reactions: 2 users
Would any current student be able to speak about away rotations at Hofstra (are you allowed to take them and if so, how many)? And are there chances for a global health experience (whether its during the summer after M1 or a full rotation during M4)?

As of now, we have to do three Sub-I rotations at a NSLIJ institution and five electives. You can do all or none of your electives away, whatever you want.
There are global experiences available summer after MS1 year as well as part of rotations during MS4 year as well.

Hi everyone I just recently got off the wait-list and realized we're told to read the whole 1500 page EMT book before the first day of class. Does anyone know how important it is to read this book before the first day of class? It seems like a lot to read before classes start, especially since I'm going to be travelling for a few weeks in between now and then. And also everyone around me (including people on SDN) are telling me to just relax and do nothing this summer since according to them, no amount of pre-reading could possibly help you out o_O

Hi everyone I just recently got off the wait-list and realized we're told to read the whole 1500 page EMT book before the first day of class. Does anyone know how important it is to read this book before the first day of class? It seems like a lot to read before classes start, especially since I'm going to be travelling for a few weeks in between now and then. And also everyone around me (including people on SDN) are telling me to just relax and do nothing this summer since according to them, no amount of pre-reading could possibly help you out o_O
Hey,
So I just finished first year and I recommend reading as much of this book as you can because it will make your first course easier. If you can't read any of it you can still make it by in your first course but it's more work. If anything try to just read as much as possible and whatever you read by the time class starts is fine. There are certain chapters that you'll be tested on that won't be assigned during your first course so you'll have to read those in your free time in august/September if you can't read it now.
Overall though, my best advice would be 1) enjoy your summer, 2) read as much of the EMT book as you can, and 3) get ready for a difficult but really fun year,