2013-2014 Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm calling the school about the specific classes. My chemistry professors are retired/dead, and my general physics course was an auto-tutorial class. I've submitted letters from advanced biology professors. Does anyone think I'm screwed here?

Members don't see this ad.

When people are saying they will address why Jefferson in the supplemental portion, are you all reaching 4000 characters? You'd have to have a lot of reasons to chose this school...

Nope. I added a little bit on what I would add to the school as well, but even after that I was not anywhere near the limit.

I'd say don't worry about the character limit and just say what you have to say in the best, most concise way possible. They have to read a lot of essays and I'm sure they don't want them all to be 4,000 characters long.

So I am a re-applicant and I am getting an error message that 2012 is not a valid year.... weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm calling the school about the specific classes. My chemistry professors are retired/dead, and my general physics course was an auto-tutorial class. I've submitted letters from advanced biology professors. Does anyone think I'm screwed here?

Please let me know what they say about this issue. I am in the same boat.

Also for anyone who has gone to a community college....does anyone know what the heck "course accepted on a case-by-case basis" means on the selection factors portion of the MSAR. Jefferson claims to accept community college on a case by case basis but how the heck are we supposed to know what qualifies as a special case.

Nope. I added a little bit on what I would add to the school as well, but even after that I was not anywhere near the limit.

I'd say don't worry about the character limit and just say what you have to say in the best, most concise way possible. They have to read a lot of essays and I'm sure they don't want them all to be 4,000 characters long.

Too bad. Don't be so rude (admissions staff and administration) and make a smaller max. character limit. I used 3987.

Too bad. Don't be so rude (admissions staff and administration) and make a smaller max. character limit. I used 3987.

Haha way to stick it to the man :thumbup:

I tried but only made it to 3,000.

Also for anyone who has gone to a community college....does anyone know what the heck "course accepted on a case-by-case basis" means on the selection factors portion of the MSAR. Jefferson claims to accept community college on a case by case basis but how the heck are we supposed to know what qualifies as a special case.

Case by case means: were you some prick who thought they'd go to CC during the summer, get okay grades and transfer them back to your home school? Or did you attend a CC because you couldn't afford to start out at a big school, or you are a returning adult student and are limited in your finances because you have family to support, etc.

No you are not screwed. The admissions brochure explicitly says those letters should be substituted for a committee letter, IF POSSIBLE.

This was answered previously in this thread as a student who was accepted last year said they didn't submit any of the letters from the specific request. If your prof is dead and/or retired, I would say that its probably not possible to get the letter so you should be okay.

Case by case means: were you some prick who thought they'd go to CC during the summer, get okay grades and transfer them back to your home school? Or did you attend a CC because you couldn't afford to start out at a big school, or you are a returning adult student and are limited in your finances because you have family to support, etc.

I spent a few years at a CC because it was the most logical option for me at the time. Then I transferred to a UC and did tons of upper level coursework and never returned to the CC to take anything else. So in other words, CC for first two years, then university for last two years.

I spent a few years at a CC because it was the most logical option for me at the time. Then I transferred to a UC and did tons of upper level coursework and never returned to the CC to take anything else. So in other words, CC for first two years, then university for last two years.

We're in the identical boat. Like, literally the exact same story here; money was non-existent basically, and I started out as a phys Ed major (chem and bio req'd, believe it or not) - changed my major to bio, took organic and calc and English to get my A.S., then transferred to a four year school. Only after I graduated did I learn that CC was a problem, but what the ell else would I have done? I'm sending an email to every school explaining this and hoping they'll spare me the automatic rejection.

No you are not screwed. The admissions brochure explicitly says those letters should be substituted for a committee letter, IF POSSIBLE.

This was answered previously in this thread as a student who was accepted last year said they didn't submit any of the letters from the specific request. If your prof is dead and/or retired, I would say that its probably not possible to get the letter so you should be okay.

But don't we need to explain why we don't have the letters in the additional information section of the secondary?

The essay is optional, right? Is anyone not doing the essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
But don't we need to explain why we don't have the letters in the additional information section of the secondary?

I just want to say that Boston university was the best secondary - it gave a specific box to explain letters if there was a problem, and it gave a specific box to discuss community college if it was a problem. Anywhere else, schools allow you to send an update - I would use the secondary app to focus on the positive stuff, and then just email an update letter to explain - most schools seem receptive enough to it.

We're in the identical boat. Like, literally the exact same story here; money was non-existent basically, and I started out as a phys Ed major (chem and bio req'd, believe it or not) - changed my major to bio, took organic and calc and English to get my A.S., then transferred to a four year school. Only after I graduated did I learn that CC was a problem, but what the ell else would I have done? I'm sending an email to every school explaining this and hoping they'll spare me the automatic rejection.

Yeah I really don't think CC is as bad as people make it out to be. Sure adcoms mostly probably prefer that a student takes classes at a four-year instead, but I can tell you that the classes I took at a CC were HARDER then the classes that I took at a University of California school. My GPA at the CC (3.7) is lower than my GPA at the UC (3.9)! I really can't see how an adcom could say that CC kids don't have what it takes to do well academically. We will be fine!

I just want to say that Boston university was the best secondary - it gave a specific box to explain letters if there was a problem, and it gave a specific box to discuss community college if it was a problem. Anywhere else, schools allow you to send an update - I would use the secondary app to focus on the positive stuff, and then just email an update letter to explain - most schools seem receptive enough to it.

Sounds good to me!

Yeah I really don't think CC is as bad as people make it out to be. Sure adcoms mostly probably prefer that a student takes classes at a four-year instead, but I can tell you that the classes I took at a CC were HARDER then the classes that I took at a University of California school. My GPA at the CC (3.7) is lower than my GPA at the UC (3.9)! I really can't see how an adcom could say that CC kids don't have what it takes to do well academically. We will be fine!

I'm sure if like, grandma was sick in central Montana and you went out here for 3 semesters to take care of her until she died, but continued taking a class a semester at the local college, med schools would probably eat that **** up and forgive a student for interrupting their education by going to community college. Only dire situations seem to warrant forgiveness. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Just stopping by to say that JMC is one of my top choices! Everything I've heard and read about Jeff is top-notch and I would be thrilled to interview here.

I won't be receiving the secondary for awhile (submitted 6/27, unverified, 4.0/33, NJ resident), but I'm pre-writing this one tomorrow or the day after. Any recommended points to hit in my essay?

Just stopping by to say that JMC is one of my top choices! Everything I've heard and read about Jeff is top-notch and I would be thrilled to interview here.

I won't be receiving the secondary for awhile (submitted 6/27, unverified, 4.0/33, NJ resident), but I'm pre-writing this one tomorrow or the day after. Any recommended points to hit in my essay?

Pretty open ended essay, tall about what ever you want really. I've spent my life taking care of a sibling with cerebral palsy, and they have a student run CP outreach group, so I talked about that.

Is anyone else having difficulty making a new paragraph? On the final page, my paragraphs are all jumbled together.

happened to me as well, but I just submitted it.

Is anyone else having difficulty making a new paragraph? On the final page, my paragraphs are all jumbled together.

Yeah, I just submitted it that way, most secondaries are like this. If they don't recognize it then I imagine everyone's application looks like that, so whatever.

I submitted and paid, but the status page says that my secondary and payment have not been received. Should this take awhile to update? My card has already been charged, FWIW.

I submitted and paid, but the status page says that my secondary and payment have not been received. Should this take awhile to update? My card has already been charged, FWIW.

I submitted last night, and by this morning my status showed they had received both my secondary and my payment. Just give it a little while, and it'll update.

When I called them for another issue they said their system refreshes overnight. So if you submit today, it will show up as complete tomorrow.

I submitted last night, and by this morning my status showed they had received both my secondary and my payment. Just give it a little while, and it'll update.

When I called them for another issue they said their system refreshes overnight. So if you submit today, it will show up as complete tomorrow.

Thanks!

My secondary is marked as received on their portal, but I don't see anything about rec letters. Anyone know if there's a way to see if Jefferson has received them?

My secondary is marked as received on their portal, but I don't see anything about rec letters. Anyone know if there's a way to see if Jefferson has received them?

Call them; ask for Rita - nice lady

What did you guys put in for-

Are you applying to:
1. Physician shortage program
2. MD/PhD
3. Dimer

Why doesn't it give you an MD option?

What did you guys put in for-

Are you applying to:
1. Physician shortage program
2. MD/PhD
3. Dimer

Why doesn't it give you an MD option?

Just say no to all those things. You're completing a secondary app for an MD program, they know what you're applying for - this is to indicate if there's anything additional.

can someone show me the requirements for the letters? I cant seem to find it :(

My essay also appeared as one huge block even though I had put spaces between the paragraphs.. But I just submitted... I called the office twice and spoke to the same lady. The first time she said to wait a few days. The second time I called, she told me to email her the essay.... Anyone know what happened?

My essay also appeared as one huge block even though I had put spaces between the paragraphs.. But I just submitted... I called the office twice and spoke to the same lady. The first time she said to wait a few days. The second time I called, she told me to email her the essay.... Anyone know what happened?

Didn't it do that for everyone, though? Why would they have you email the essay...

I never knew that the PSAP program existed at Jefferson. If I didn't indicate that I was planning on applying to specific programs such as this on the AMCAS, can I still apply for it and indicate "Yes" on their secondary application?

That's exactly what I was thinking... so I haven't emailed the essay. Thanks for your input!

Mine is also a huge block. Is everyone's essay like this?

Where is everyone checking? I don't know where to look for this...

When you submitted and it showed you a summary of your application right before you paid is where I noticed mine being one huge paragraph.

I never knew that the PSAP program existed at Jefferson. If I didn't indicate that I was planning on applying to specific programs such as this on the AMCAS, can I still apply for it and indicate "Yes" on their secondary application?

bump ^^

From the PSAP website: "Applicants to Jefferson who want to apply to the PSAP should indicate so on the PSAP question of the Jefferson Secondary Application Form. In addition, the PSAP application should also be completed by November 15th."

From that it sounds like the first step to beginning the PSAP application process is on the secondary, not the primary. You could call the school to double check, but I feel like they would say something about which box to check on the primary if it was an important part of the application process to PSAP.

From the PSAP website: "Applicants to Jefferson who want to apply to the PSAP should indicate so on the PSAP question of the Jefferson Secondary Application Form. In addition, the PSAP application should also be completed by November 15th."

From that it sounds like the first step to beginning the PSAP application process is on the secondary, not the primary. You could call the school to double check, but I feel like they would say something about which box to check on the primary if it was an important part of the application process to PSAP.

Ahhh, okay. I'm from a very small town in northern Pennsylvania and it really interests me that they are making a specific commitment to train students to work in these rural areas. I just don't know if I'm ready to make the commitment to Family Medicine. That's a big decision! :eek:

When you submitted and it showed you a summary of your application right before you paid is where I noticed mine being one huge paragraph.
^ This.

I tried cut and paste with Word -> Block text.

I then tried to cut and paste with TextEdit -> Block text

I then reset the page and tried to manual type. I only used a few sentences/ paragraphs to see if they would end up as block text -> Block text.

I guess the AdCom really likes deciphering different paragraphs from block text? Or the review page isn't very good at retaining appropriate formatting.

Last edited:
Submitted secondary today; only used 2600 chars hopefully it won't be a problem

Does jefferson screen? I haven't gotten a secondary yet. Been verified since the first week