2013-2014 McGill University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKMan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many of us are applying here, but I figured a place to discuss interview material and the school in general might be welcomed by at least a few.

I'll start it up, I suppose. I've been accepted at multiple top 30 US schools, but I'm still very interested in McGill. It's a world-renowned school in a wonderful city. Also, tuition is relatively low. The only thing I'm worried about is how well the school matches for residency programs in the US.

Also, does anyone have the low-down on their MMIs?

GL to all.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian student and also interviewing there. In terms of matching residency stops in the US, you will have to write your USMLE in Canada and apply separately. Matching will be more difficult (not impossible), but if you want to practice in the US, then staying at the US school will probably be a better choice IMO.

In terms of MMI, I heard it's very "non-conventional"... People won't really say exactly why, probably due to the non-disclosure, but expect to act and think on your feet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Canadian student and also interviewing there. In terms of matching residency stops in the US, you will have to write your USMLE in Canada and apply separately. Matching will be more difficult (not impossible), but if you want to practice in the US, then staying at the US school will probably be a better choice IMO.

I'm a very open person, and I think if I like my experience in Montreal I would consider practicing there. But I would want to keep my options open. It's been very hard finding info on McGill's matching power in the US. Some have told me that one could ride the McGill name anywhere you desire and others (like yourself) have told me it is actually a burden. Grrr!

I'm a very open person, and I think if I like my experience in Montreal I would consider practicing there. But I would want to keep my options open. It's been very hard finding info on McGill's matching power in the US. Some have told me that one could ride the McGill name anywhere you desire and others (like yourself) have told me it is actually a burden. Grrr!

The funny thing is... most McGill medical grads go else where for their residency lol. I believe it's because you need to know French in order to be an efficient resident in Montreal.

Also keep in mind that, although French is not a requirement for admission, you are expected to become "functional in French" by the time clerkships begin.

I am fluent, Canadian (dual) and was rejected pre interview in January here...

I interviewed in their MMI, but was ultimately rejected. Once you get an interview, the interview counts for everything!

I cannot disclose exact MMI questions/scenarios. However, let me tell you that it is very different from a traditional interview. Being able to think fast on your feet, hold a conversation on different topics, improvise, and maybe even have an 'air of' authority/leadership would be very helpful.

Let me just make up a random scenario (NOT actually from real MMI!!!!).
"You are at a store and see someone shoplifting. Confront him."... then when you do, the actor will not hold back any punches when telling you to stay out of his way. 8 mins. Go Go Go.!

I went to McGill for undergrad. Great school and great city. Low tuition. Read up on the applicant categories if you haven't already - VERY hard to get into McGill Med if you are not from Quebec (~10 OOP spots and ~5 Intl.)

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'm aware of the low chance of being accepted, but it's a boost to have even been chosen to interview! Let me know if you have any other insights. Cheers

If you are an American citizen, your chances of matching will be very high ( assuming you do well), comparable to the top US schools like Harvard and Yale and better than the lower ranked schools by far. Canadians have more trouble because they need visas to work in US; yet many match in the US. However, I would not overlook the French language constraint - while the classes and most profs are English, your patient experiences will suffer and that might mean lousy references, etc. Years ago, McGill Med was 50% American, but now its only about 5%. About 50% of the class is francophone; 90% from Quebec and all are bilingual - in fact most speak 3-4 languages. Montreal is also significantly more French speaking as well. So I would decide based on your choices - ie McGill over expensive low ranked US school, but not over upper-mid tier, unless you are bilingual. The education however is second to none.

Interesting. At one point in time, I was under the impression that what you're saying about McGill's matching power for someone from the US was true. Now I've heard too many conflicting opinions!

The French language factor is definitely something I need to consider more carefully. Although, this was initially something that drew me to the school. I took four years of french ~8 years ago, and I'm proficient in Spanish. So my language learning abilities are quite good, and I have a deep-seeded French foundation somewhere in there...