2013-2014 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had to contact the admissions office last night because of an update I needed to give, and Ms Taylor said adcomm has been meeting twice a week. My file is still active and no decision has apparently been made.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone is interested, here is an article on the brand new scholarships that they mentioned on interview day:
http://news.gru.edu/archives/9984

Great things happening. I'm a little disappointed that all of the money is Augusta-only; wonder why that is? Still, an exciting time to be starting at MCG! Will be interesting to see who they recruit for the new chair(s) and what happens as more of the money becomes available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the 2018 Facebook group if anyone's looking for it https://www.facebook.com/groups/540888136006689/

This is indeed an exciting time to start school at MCG. Not only do they have an entirely new education building which is planned to open for the incoming class, but they also opened a completely new anatomy lab which an M3 friend related to "moving out of the dungeon and into the clouds."

I'm really curious about when students will be informed of potential scholarship offers. I was lucky enough to get accepted at Emory a few weeks ago, however I'm leaning to MCG and saving $150K

Here's the 2018 Facebook group if anyone's looking for it https://www.facebook.com/groups/540888136006689/

This is indeed an exciting time to start school at MCG. Not only do they have an entirely new education building which is planned to open for the incoming class, but they also opened a completely new anatomy lab which an M3 friend related to "moving out of the dungeon and into the clouds."

I'm really curious about when students will be informed of potential scholarship offers. I was lucky enough to get accepted at Emory a few weeks ago, however I'm leaning to MCG and saving $150K

The anatomy lab is definitely awesome, we're getting to use it right now for the neuroscience module. Having computers right by your side and large screens to work on is a HUGE help. You're in for a real treat.

As per scholarships, I don't think they gave out an exact date last year. I think someone just told me that they can pretty much be given out whenever...But you may want to call admissions/fin aid to find out.

I've been informed from a secondary source that they are hoping to give all notifications out by April 1st, but may take until April 15th. Last year, it was the final Friday in March, so hopefully this Friday???

Anyone heard any similar sentiments?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been informed from a secondary source that they are hoping to give all notifications out by April 1st, but may take until April 15th. Last year, it was the final Friday in March, so hopefully this Friday???

I haven't heard that, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me. I was told on Tuesday that no decision has been made on my file and I interviewed mid-Feb.

According to the AAMC "traffic rules" :

"4. By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/370670/trafficrules-admissionofficers.html

Since the 30th is on Sunday, the effective deadline is Monday, March 31st. This only means that by then 230 acceptances must be extended. It may take longer for everyone else to hear about a waitlist.

According to the AAMC "traffic rules" :

"4. By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/370670/trafficrules-admissionofficers.html

Since the 30th is on Sunday, the effective deadline is Monday, March 31st. This only means that by then 230 acceptances must be extended. It may take longer for everyone else to hear about a waitlist.

Keep in mind that's just a recommendation, not some hardened law. Still, I imagine the acceptances and waitlist will be announced to all very soon.

Hello all,

Has anyone received word of scholarship information or offers yet? I vaguely remember they mentioned they had ~10-15 full-tuition scholarships and some new ones this year? I might be completely off base about this number, because I don't remember the details very well. I checked the thread and the internetz but haven't been able to confirm it for myself yet. Any info would be appreciated. <3

Last edited:
Hello all,

Has anyone received word of scholarship information or offers yet? I vaguely remember they mentioned they had ~10-15 full-tuition scholarships and some new ones this year? I might be completely off base about this number, because I don't remember the details very well. I checked the thread and the internetz but haven't been able to confirm it for myself yet. Any info would be appreciated. <3

This is what someone posted about scholarships and includes the minimum requirements needed to get an offer: http://news.gru.edu/archives/9984

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose eventually we'll hear. I've waited 3 months already, guess I'll just keep going.

6 months here as well. You're not alone Blake

I hope some of the other people waiting have acceptances to other schools, as I don't.

Hey guys, I'm sorry you're all having to wait an abnormally long time to hear back. I know the waiting game sucks, I just wanted to offer a little support.

Whether you're accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, worrying about it doesn't help at all at this point. Try and relax, and enjoy the beautiful weather we're having this week (assuming you're in Georgia). Go outside and drink some beers with friends or go on a hike. Do your best to not worry about this stuff you can't control.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I'm sorry you're all having to wait an abnormally long time to hear back. I know the waiting game sucks, I just wanted to offer a little support.

Whether you're accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, worrying about it doesn't help at all at this point. Try and relax, and enjoy the beautiful weather we're having this week (assuming you're in Georgia). Go outside and drink some beers with friends or go on a hike. Do your best to not worry about this stuff you can't control.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks. Hopefully this time next week we can all have some comfort, regardless of the decisions. :)

Accepted!!

April fools :(

(guess that's more of a joke on myself more than anything)

...waiting...

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!

April fools :(

(guess that's more of a joke on myself more than anything)

...waiting...

Cruel, very cruel

April fools jokes not allowed on SDN for current applicants! It just hurts too much...

Cruel, very cruel

awesome jokes not allowed on SDN for current applicants! It just hurts too much...

I'm still just an applicant too, we are in this together! Thought humor could ease these "waiting blues"

me are still just an applicant too, we are in this together! Thought humor could ease these "waiting blues"

Except for the fact they said they were trying to get out statuses by April 1.

...just realized my original post didn't say what it was supposed to so sorry for any confusion.

It was supposed to say:

Accepted!!

A p r ! L F o o l s :(

Not awesome.

Well lucky you if yar be not waitin' anymore. me haven't heard a thin'. Has anyone else?

I haven't heard anything from MCG either although at least yesterday I was given a waitlist by Mercer which calmed me down a tad.

I hope this isn't inappropriate given the climate of the thread today, but I just got off of the phone and have been awarded a full tuition scholarship! Completely honored and surprised.

Reactions: 4 users
I cannot wait for today to be over so you guys stop doing this.

Perhaps I am a little touchy right now, but let me tell you why I think it is cruel.

Last week I was told by vocational rehabiliation that I had to withdraw from all remaining medical schools and have to give up my dream of becoming a physician or else I was going to lose all the governmental services I currently get and I would end up homeless and hungry. I was suppose to do that last week, but everyone (including my neurologist) is trying to buy me time in the hopes MCG makes a favourable decision... soon. If they do (or if Mercer does), my services remain in force until I start medical school. That is *not* an AFD joke and is the summary of the update I sent last week to MCG when I found out no decision has been made on my file.

I'm glad others can laugh, but to me this is not funny at all.

I cannot wait for today to be over so you guys stop doing this.

Perhaps I am a little touchy right now, but let me tell you why I think it is cruel.

Last week I was told by vocational rehabiliation that I had to withdraw from all remaining medical schools and have to give up my dream of becoming a physician or else I was going to lose all the governmental services I currently get and I would end up homeless and hungry. I was suppose to do that last week, but everyone (including my neurologist) is trying to buy me time in the hopes MCG makes a favourable decision... soon. If they do (or if Mercer does), my services remain in force until I start medical school. That is *not* an AFD joke and is the summary of the update I sent last week to MCG when I found out no decision has been made on my file.

I'm glad others can laugh, but to me this is not funny at all.

I'm really sorry to hear about the stressful situation you're in. Nothing I or anyone else can say can make it better, I know that. Just know that we are all in this together, we are a team. A team of physician hopefuls. ok, so no one means any harm. I hope you get everything you deserve.

Some of my friends have started receiving wait list notifications. I hope you all get the news you're hoping for today!

I'm really sorry to hear about the stressful situation you're in. Nothing I or anyone else can say can make it better, I know that. Just know that we are all in this together, we are a team. A team of physician hopefuls. ok, so no one means any harm. I hope you get everything you deserve.

Thanks, I just got a waitlist.

Same here. Thankfully I got into Emory so it makes the decision that much easier!

Another waitlist here.

In case anybody is interested, my stats are MCAT - 32, sGPA - 3.73, submitted - 9/26, verified - 10/31, ii - 11/20, interview - 1/17.
I keep hearing that about 50-100 people will come of the waitlist, but does anyone have any idea how big the waitlist is?

Another waitlist here.

In case anybody is interested, my stats are MCAT - 32, sGPA - 3.73, submitted - 9/26, verified - 10/31, ii - 11/20, interview - 1/17.
I keep hearing that about 50-100 people will come of the waitlist, but does anyone have any idea how big the waitlist is?

Don't know and they will not release it.

Waitlist too....not sure if I should feel happy or sad. Sigh....

Anyone know where is the form for alternative list? Can't find it under the tab....

Waitlisted. Will decline. Good luck to everyone!

Waitlisted :(
// at the end of the email it says congratulations. Not sure if that is good or bad. Does anyone know know/hear how the waitlist thing work? I mean how do they select students out of the list; according to gpc, mact .. etc?
(submitted - 6/11, verified - 7/7, ii - 10/23, interview - 12/13.)
(Very good gpa & low mcat)
Good look y'all

Anyone know where is the form for alternative list? Can't find it under the tab....

Mine is not showing up either... Let me know if you figure it out. Im planning on calling later today. Ill let you know what they say.

Waitlisted :(
// at the end of the email it says congratulations. Not sure if that is good or bad. Does anyone know know/hear how the waitlist thing work? I mean how do they select students out of the list; according to gpc, mact .. etc?
(submitted - 6/11, verified - 7/7, ii - 10/23, interview - 12/13.)
(Very good gpa & low mcat)
Good look y'all

It is my impression that everyone is lined up in the waitlist already. Then as people decline their acceptances, the people on the waitlist will be notified of their admittance, starting with whoever is in the number one position.

It is my impression that everyone is lined up in the waitlist already. Then as people decline their acceptances, the people on the waitlist will be notified of their admittance, starting with whoever is in the number one position.

I agree. And I think they are doing all the WL people first then the accepted people so by next week they can move through the WL faster. Since they will have a idea of the WL.