2013-2014 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

In state. Applying here for sure! Awesome school. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying as an OOS'er. Is MCW friendly towards CA applicants in terms of interview invites?

Applying as an OOS'er. Is MCW friendly towards CA applicants in terms of interview invites?

Judging by the matriculating class of 2015, looks like it:

U Wisconsin-Madison 34
Brigham Young Univ 8
U IL-Urbana-Champaig 8
Marquette U 7
U CA-Los Angeles 7
U MN-twin Cities 7
U CA-Irvine 6
U CA-San Diego 6
U CA-Berkeley 5

A fifth of the class (20.6%) is from CA, compared to 38.7% IS.

Glad to see you're not shunning the midwest :)

OOS 3.6/35+

I'd be more than happy to spend 4 years in Milwaukee. Baseball, football, and all the cheese I can eat :)

ill be starting here in august and from what I've seen in our facebook group seems like theres a decent number from california in c/o 2017!

Glad to see you're not shunning the midwest :)

OOS 3.6/35+

I'd be more than happy to spend 4 years in Milwaukee. Baseball, football, and all the cheese I can eat :)

I'm IS and Milwaukee is a great place often overlooked by OOS'ers which is usually fine by the by locals. However, Milwaukeeans and Wisconsinites in general are friendly welcoming folk. As for MCW, most people find it a very relaxed atmosphere and they seem to put great emphasis on choosing decent, friendly, cooperative people for their student body. Top grades and scores and experiences may get you nowhere at MCW if you're attitude isn't quite right. This is conjecture as I am not a current student, but I've heard quite a lot from the horses mouth. Best of luck to everyone applying here!

And, yes, Californians, many students from CA go to MCW. I was there for an event with current students and there were a ton of CA natives in the student body.

Last edited:
good to hear their friendly to CA im also applying there.

Applying here because Spotted Cow. And I also hear that there's a med school here or something.

OOS 3.78/32

Applying here because Spotted Cow. And I also hear that there's a med school here or something.

OOS 3.78/32

Spotted Cow is an okay beer at best. NG offers much better beers throughout the year than Spotted Cow (including Dancing Man Wheat, one of my favs).

Oh, and I'm applying here IS. Would love to live in Milwaukee!

Spotted Cow is an okay beer at best. NG offers much better beers throughout the year than Spotted Cow (including Dancing Man Wheat, one of my favs).

I don't get out to WI much so I had to go with what i've tried. I'm from MI so I love me some Bell's and Founders.

I don't get out to WI much so I had to go with what i've tried. I'm from MI so I love me some Bell's and Founders.

Ha fair enough. MI and WI are comparable in terms of availability of quality microbrews. I've been impressed with most of what I've had from MI.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys if we end up at the same place (and I think we're all aiming for wisconsin, am I right?) I say we start an MS1 microbrew club. I love all things beer.

hey guys if we end up at the same place (and I think we're all aiming for wisconsin, am I right?) I say we start an MS1 microbrew club. I love all things beer.

I'll be happy to contribute from wherever in the midwest I end up!

Absolutely.

Sent from my phone

Appreciate the comments, however I'd have to say the context of the beer is important. I once had a spotted cow after running 17 miles on a humid august day in madison. It was a gorgeous run- tiring and beautiful, but the beer was heavenly. Years later it still holds a place in my heart, and anytime I can get a bottle of it it takes me back to stretching on that park bench.

Huh. Maybe I should write that in my UW secondary essay... or not :)

Appreciate the comments, however I'd have to say the context of the beer is important. I once had a spotted cow after running 17 miles on a humid august day in madison. It was a gorgeous run- tiring and beautiful, but the beer was heavenly. Years later it still holds a place in my heart, and anytime I can get a bottle of it it takes me back to stretching on that park bench.

Hey, you never know, it may hit home with an adcom member with a similar fondness for good microbrews :laugh:

And I can appreciate the context of your Spotted Cow. Really it's a decent beer, but I just prefer a little more complexity and a little less sweetness in a farmhouse/saison. NG's Saison from the thumbprint series is a perfected Spotted Cow, imo. Alright I'm rambling about my beer tastes now. If you're ever in Madison, hit me up and we'll find some good quality local brews :thumbup:

I didn't know you could run 17 miles Sisko :thumbup:

I've never ran that far! But I want to soon; I'm training to run my first marathon. I figure I'll need some long runs of 16, 18, and 20 miles before I consider myself prepared.

What about Milwaukee, is it a great place to run? :love: Any opinions?

Last edited:

I've never ran that far! But I want to soon; I'm training to run my first marathon. I figure I'll need some long runs of 16, 18, and 20 miles before I consider myself prepared.

idk about Milwaukee, but that's another reason Madison and Rochester are appealing.

good luck and have fun with your marathon. no matter how many you do, you'll always have vivid memories of your first. where and when is it?

Milwaukee is a great place to go running. If you have a car and can make it up to Kettle Morraine there really isn't anywhere better.

Milwaukee is a great place to go running. If you have a car and can make it up to Kettle Morraine there really isn't anywhere better.

My first marathon was in West Bend on the Kettle Moraine state trail. Probably would have enjoyed the beauty more had it not been 95 degrees :oops:

Also OOS applying from MI. Milwaukee seems like it might be the perfect distance from home.

I'm IS and Milwaukee is a great place often overlooked by OOS'ers which is usually fine by the by locals. However, Milwaukeeans and Wisconsinites in general are friendly welcoming folk. As for MCW, most people find it a very relaxed atmosphere and they seem to put great emphasis on choosing decent, friendly, cooperative people for their student body. Top grades and scores and experiences may get you no where at MCW if you're attitude isn't quite right. This is conjecture as I am not a current student, but I've heard quite a lot from the horses mouth. Best of luck to everyone applying here!

And, yes, Californians, many students from CA go to MCW. I was there for an event with current students and there were a ton of CA natives in the student body.

My most recent trip to WI, up to LaCrosse, the people were seriously ridiculously friendly. I was almost taken aback but it was great!

I am applying here from California. I am hoping that my 3.8/30 will be enough to grant me an interview here. Fingers crossed!

I am applying here from California. I am hoping that my 3.8/30 will be enough to grant me an interview here. Fingers crossed!

I'd say based on numbers alone it's quite possible you could get invited to interview here (and many schools for that matter). However, it will depend also on your entire application. I think MCW and a lot of schools these days look at the numbers first to get an idea of what you can do academically, but then they look at who you are from your activities, essays, and letters to decide if they want to meet you. But, yes, on #'s alone, I think you'd meet any "cut-off's" MCW may or may not have just based on the stats MCW lists for their past entering classes and what others accepted have noted. Good luck!

Judging by the matriculating class of 2015, looks like it:

U Wisconsin-Madison 34
Brigham Young Univ 8
U IL-Urbana-Champaig 8
Marquette U 7
U CA-Los Angeles 7
U MN-twin Cities 7
U CA-Irvine 6
U CA-San Diego 6
U CA-Berkeley 5

A fifth of the class (20.6%) is from CA, compared to 38.7% IS.
May I ask where you obtained these stats?

Would love to come home for med school and drink the Spotted Cow. Oh how I miss the cow.

Word to the wise, make sure you have two classroom professor letters! Even though they waved this for me last year I'm pretty sure it was a deal breaker. I was interviewed at Madison and MCW didn't even small pool me.

Your stats might hold you back at some top 20 schools but you're fine for MCW. Stats don't matter nearly as much as you may think. They are more of a bench mark or a hurdle and you have cleared that at most schools.

Last edited:
Your stats might hold you back at some top 20 schools but you're fine for MCW. Stats don't matter nearly as much as you may think. They are more of a bench mark or a hurdle and you have cleared that at most schools.

Thanks jlescher for the positive feedback! Good luck to you! :)

Hey all,

applying to MCW this cycle and am excited about it! I was curious if anyone could tell me more about the school. Curriculum? Residency placement? Friendly to OOS (specifically ones not for Cali)? Exposure to a variety of health problems? Step 1 rankings (if possible)? How's Milwaukee? Been to Madison and really enjoyed it.

Thanks!

Hey all,

applying to MCW this cycle and am excited about it! I was curious if anyone could tell me more about the school. Curriculum? Residency placement? Friendly to OOS (specifically ones not for Cali)? Exposure to a variety of health problems? Step 1 rankings (if possible)? How's Milwaukee? Been to Madison and really enjoyed it.

Thanks!

I suggest reading though last year's thread as many of these topics were mentioned there. Actual specific questions I'd be pleased to answer.

Do I have a shot?

OOS, 3.68 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA 29S good ECs

The one secondary with no essays and... I completely forgot about the photo issue. Such luck, :p.

Just got the secondary! For photos for secondaries, do you think its ok if my photo is just me in a nice black collared shirt? I left my suit at home and don't have a tie or anything in my apartment :(

Just got the secondary! For photos for secondaries, do you think its ok if my photo is just me in a nice black collared shirt? I left my suit at home and don't have a tie or anything in my apartment :(

I think this sounds on par with what people did last year, :).

If we're doing the AMCAS letter service for our LOR's, is there anything special we need to do to send the letters to MCW? I just completed the secondary and inputted my letter writers exactly how I did on my AMCAS.

Are secondaries not all sent out at the same time? I have not received a secondary invite yet

If we're doing the AMCAS letter service for our LOR's, is there anything special we need to do to send the letters to MCW? I just completed the secondary and inputted my letter writers exactly how I did on my AMCAS.

Make sure that you actually assign the letters to MCW within AMCAS. You should be good to go after that.

Does anyone know if you need to take the GRE to apply to the MD/MS program? Thanks.

Submitted, nice and easy secondary. Does anyone who have the LORs received by AMCAS have their letters marked as received my MCW already on the status page?

Submitted, nice and easy secondary. Does anyone who have the LORs received by AMCAS have their letters marked as received my MCW already on the status page?

Nope, still waiting on that.