2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah think I'm going to do that just to make sure tomorrow morning. I will post what they say in case anyone else had a similar problem.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who have withdrawn, did you get your $100 back? I haven't after a week or so.

Reactions: 1 user
It took two weeks for me to get the deposit back.

For those of you who have withdrawn, did you get your $100 back? I haven't after a week or so.

No, I still haven't... I asked and they said it takes two weeks to get it back.

Also, good luck to everyone on the waitlist! :)

I got it a few weeks after I withdrew!

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users

out of curiosity, what is the primary reason you all withdrew? Was it cost or things about the program?

out of curiosity, what is the primary reason you all withdrew? Was it cost or things about the program?

Cost mostly. I loved NYU on interview day, but unfortunately, it wouldn't have worked out financially in the long run.

Cost mostly. I loved NYU on interview day, but unfortunately, it wouldn't have worked out financially in the long run.

+1. 100% loans at a school like NYU means an estimated debt of >$320K, which is a tough pill to swallow. The school itself is awesome.

My family is too far away from NYC.

Edit: A relatively big class size was another reason. I also thought there are too many residents. To be honest, it was a coin flip.

Last edited:
Withdrew! Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any insight as to when the waitlist tends to start moving after the May 15 deadline?

The waitlist is moving! Just got the email!

Reactions: 5 users
IN! What a wonderful email to wake up to!

Reactions: 2 users
They sent all emails at the same time I'm guessing?

Got in this morning!!! Wonderful wake-up email :) :)

Last edited:
got an acceptance email today as well. not sure what i'll do right now. does anyone know if the waitlisted people get fin aid?

got an acceptance email today as well. not sure what i'll do right now. does anyone know if the waitlisted people get fin aid?

Yes, we do. It takes a few days though. I just got mine today and I got accepted on Friday.

Edit: Congrats!

can any current students tell me about the student life at nyu? are people generally happy?

I was hoping it was a good sign that there's only 128 members of the class of 2018 facebook and 166 members in the class of 2017, but this thread has been kind of quiet as has my inbox :cryi:

I was hoping it was a good sign that there's only 128 members of the class of 2018 facebook and 166 members in the class of 2017, but this thread has been kind of quiet as has my inbox :cryi:
omg me too! at this point I have given up hope on getting off the waitlist:( sigh. oh well. The hope was good while it lasted.

In earlier today! There's still hope!!!!

So, got a finaid email today, have yet to receive a formal acceptance. Anyone similar?

Was accepted today off the WL! Didn't send a LOI nor an update. After interviewing in October, would have loved to attend, except for the sticker price (got no finaid). Matriculating instead at Mt Sinai. Hope one of y'all gets my spot.

Accepted off the waitlist today! I will be requesting deferral. If granted, I presume one more spot will open up in the class! :D

Good luck everyone! This being my second time applying to medical school, I know the process can be frustrating. Keep your heads up high. Good things come to those who work hard and are patient.

Accepted off the waitlist today! I will be requesting deferral. If granted, I presume one more spot will open up in the class! :D

Good luck everyone! This being my second time applying to medical school, I know the process can be frustrating. Keep your heads up high. Good things come to those who work hard and are patient.

Congrats! Been rooting for you all season!

Deferral granted. 1 more person can get in off the waitlist :)

Question for those accepted from the waitlist. Did anyone get a substantial scholarship offer? If so, did the offer come with the acceptance email? I'm set on one school but a scholarship would definitely sway me towards NYU. How long is worth waiting before making my decision?

Question for those accepted from the waitlist. Did anyone get a substantial scholarship offer? If so, did the offer come with the acceptance email? I'm set on one school but a scholarship would definitely sway me towards NYU. How long is worth waiting before making my decision?

Got off the waitlist today. Super happy because it is my dream school but also at least 100 k more expensive than my state school. I am really not sure what to do. Anyone have any thoughts?

Does anyone know how long the lease term is for? 9 months or 12 months? What if we only need 9 months...

Withdrew my spot (heading to Sinai!). Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Just got accepted off of the waitlist. A little confused, because I had thought that we only have 24 hours to switch our acceptance after May 15, but the NYU acceptance e-mail seems to imply that we have a full week to send in our deposit?

This is a hard decision for me, since I have an acceptance at a school that I really liked during their second look. NYU is tempting since I've liked the idea of living in Manhattan for a while. Wish I had gotten an acceptance in time for second look!

For those who did attend NYU second look, how was your experience/impression of the school? At NYU interview day I really enjoyed being in the city, but it was hard for me to get a sense of how supportive the faculty is and how friendly the school community is.

Just got accepted off of the waitlist. A little confused, because I had thought that we only have 24 hours to switch our acceptance after May 15, but the NYU acceptance e-mail seems to imply that we have a full week to send in our deposit?

This is a hard decision for me, since I have an acceptance at a school that I really liked during their second look. NYU is tempting since I've liked the idea of living in Manhattan for a while. Wish I had gotten an acceptance in time for second look!

For those who did attend NYU second look, how was your experience/impression of the school? At NYU interview day I really enjoyed being in the city, but it was hard for me to get a sense of how supportive the faculty is and how friendly the school community is.

I remember second look mostly for the party haha, but it was pretty impressive in terms of facilities, e.g. campus, hospitals, and especially NYSIM. They're also doing quite a bit of construction but those buildings-to-be won't really be of benefit for Class of 2018. Didn't really get a feel for faculty support, but the student community seems really awesome and happy. Manhattan and Bellevue are definite assets.

Really depends on what your other choice is. How does the money situation look at both schools? For me the decision was a no-brainer because my other school gave me money and NYU is full loans lol.

the money would be the same at either school. I'm basically deciding program vs. location, since I really loved the other school's program but I've had dreams of living in nyc.

anyone else get a certain feel for the school at second look?

Last edited:
Accepted off the waitlist today! Still debating if I want to attend. Received a 20k scholarship from Einstein and Einstein subsidizes everything for students including housing ($500) and fully funded research and global health opportunities. NYU has a better location though. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I ended up picking my state school after a long drawn out 2 weeks. It was the hardest decision I have ever made but I couldn't decline coming out with only 40 K in debt vs. 180 K . Hope the spot goes to one of you waiting to get off the waitlist.

I know I should move on and be happy about my current acceptance, but I still check my email every day hoping for an email from NYU :cryi:

Anyone else on the waitlist wake up to an email from the NYU Office of Financial Aid today, asking you to log into Albert and complete all your outstanding item(s) on your To-Do List?

Happy 4th, everyone!