2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You probably shouldn't have added OSU then. Tulsa has frequent stretches of unbearable heat in the summer.

Not only that... OSU and OHCOM don't really take a lot of OOS people.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes sir, I applied to all except 2. However, I got done with secondaries not too long ago. I have already been rejected at 2 places and 3 other schools would not give me a secondary because Im taking Orgo II right now.

Would you mind sharing which three schools wouldn't give you a secondary because you haven't finished taking Orgo II?

I agree with Ibn. Why not apply to AZCOM or ATSU-SOMA?

There is also MUCOM, KCUMB, DMU, LECOMs...

Your list was a bit heavy and I personally wouldn't have been comfortable applying only to those schools unless I had a 3.4/29-30 or some really great life experience.

The only reason I didn't recommend AZCOM or ATSU is because I was pre-interview waitlisted at the former and pre-interview rejected at the latter. However, there maybe something specific in my application that they didn't like, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM is the only DO school to up front deny me. I haven't heard anything from DMU, LECOM-B, PCOM, and NOVA. I added a few lower tier ones in Nov/Completed by December VCOM, CUSOM, PCOM-GA, UNECOM. So for what it is worth I am still optimistic...
What are your stats if you don't mind?

Would you mind sharing which three schools wouldn't give you a secondary because you haven't finished taking Orgo II?

It was both the LECOMs and another one I think KCUMB or CUSOM...not sure. but it was LECOMs for sure.

It was both the LECOMs and another one I think KCUMB or CUSOM...not sure. but it was LECOMs for sure.

Are you sure? I received a secondary from LECOM and KCUMB without Orgo II.

Are you sure? I received a secondary from LECOM and KCUMB without Orgo II.
I got an email saying that I had not finished 8 hours of Organic and thats why was not offered a secondary. Because they said it could be 3 possible reasons for that and the other 2 were MCAT and other pre-reqs

I think KCUMB doesnt send out a secondary if your sGPA is less than 3.25, mine was 3.12

Thank you. The only one of the three listed I am serious about applying to is KCUMB and I'm positive they do not have an Organic chemistry II requirement, at least according to their website. They simply want you to have 13 hours of chemistry and 3 hours of biochem. Whew. If your cumulative or science GPA is lower than 3.25, KCUMB screens you automatically.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. The only one of the three listed I am serious about applying to is KCUMB and I'm positive they do not have an Organic chemistry II requirement, at least according to their website. They simply want you to have 13 hours of chemistry and 3 hours of biochem. Whew. If your cumulative or science GPA is lower than 3.25, KCUMB screens you automatically.

Thanks for the info.

CCOM is the only DO school to up front deny me. I haven't heard anything from DMU, LECOM-B, PCOM, and NOVA. I added a few lower tier ones in Nov/Completed by December VCOM, CUSOM, PCOM-GA, UNECOM. So for what it is worth I am still optimistic...
PCOM-GA is lower tier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a list of recent year GPA/MCAT averages for DO schools? I'm too lazy to put one together from the CIB.

Woohoo! I just got my 1st interview at PCOM GA! I'm super excited and praying this will turn into an acceptance. Keep your heads up underdogs, and if you haven't heard anything in a while you might check on your status, I checked and got an II soon after.

Woohoo! I just got my 1st interview at PCOM GA! I'm super excited and praying this will turn into an acceptance. Keep your heads up underdogs, and if you haven't heard anything in a while you might check on your status, I checked and got an II soon after.

When were you complete/ stats?

FWIW...hvilledoc now has 3 ii with his/her "death sentence" 22 MCAT (gpa 3.7)...MUCOM, LMU and VCOM-CC.

indianarn received 3 ii with 22 as well (but 3.3 GPA) to WVSOM, LUCOM, and LMU.

lonelyarab also received 3 ii with 22 and 3.8 GPA to AZCOM, LMU, and LUCOM.

I can almost guarantee if they had posted a WAMC thread, they would have been told to retake and not apply. Too few people on here have the courage to say otherwise.

yes, there are other people with 22's who get fewer or no interviews. But by and large, they tend to not apply to enough schools that are in their range.

Last edited:
I'd still them not apply, an ii doesn't mean anything. Look at it this way, if you got an ii and you do well that's 1-2 people vouching for you being a match for the school against 3-5 others who will be exclusively looking at their academic profile. Tell me what you think will happen?

And what exactly are schools in the 22 range lol.

I'd still them not apply, an ii doesn't mean anything. Look at it this way, if you got an ii and you do well that's 1-2 people vouching for you being a match for the school against 3-5 others who will be exclusively looking at their academic profile. Tell me what you think will happen?

an ii doesn't mean anything? Really! VCOM, KYCOM, WVSOM are probably in the 22 range since their average are 24-25...

FWIW...hvilledoc now has 3 ii with his/her "death sentence" 22 MCAT (gpa 3.7)...MUCOM, LMU and VCOM-CC.

indianarn received 3 ii with 22 as well (but 3.3 GPA) to WVSOM, LUCOM, and LMU.

lonelyarab also received 3 ii with 22 and 3.8 GPA to AZCOM, LMU, and LUCOM.

I can almost guarantee if they had posted a WAMC thread, they would have been told to retake and not apply. Too few people on here have the courage to say otherwise.

yes, there are other people with 22's who get fewer or no interviews. But by and large, they tend to not apply to enough schools that are in their range.
Not to mention that hvilledoc submitted all his/her secondaries in Nov-Dec....

A 22 is approximately the 28th percentile of all people taking the MCAT for any reason. I agree with Serenade that I would not recommend people apply with such a score, because it is a huge red flag and indicates you are incapable of preparing to take a standardized test (which is important for medical school success). However, I suppose DO schools may look past that for a high GPA (at least for interviews).

Though I don't mean to be inflammatory, a 22 is basically inexcusable without good reasoning. Why would you apply to bottom-of-the-barrel DO with a 22 and 3.8 when you could be at the VERY top with an improved score? Would someone really have achieved a 3.8 without learning basic biology, physics, and English?

... I guess people are lucky I'm not deciding their admissions fate. :p

Reactions: 1 users

schools with 26 or lower MCAT average

Where most will reject you.

This guy is either stupid with his money ( No offense man) or brave.
I don't know about that... We will see if he/she will get an acceptance, then we will know the money was not wasted.

Last edited:
A 22 is approximately the 28th percentile of all people taking the MCAT for any reason. I agree with Serenade that I would not recommend people apply with such a score, because it is a huge red flag and indicates you are incapable of preparing to take a standardized test (which is important for medical school success). However, I suppose DO schools may look past that for a high GPA (at least for interviews).

Though I don't mean to be inflammatory, a 22 is basically inexcusable without good reasoning. Why would you apply to bottom-of-the-barrel DO with a 22 and 3.8 when you could be at the VERY top with an improved score? Would someone really have achieved a 3.8 without learning basic biology, physics, and English?

the "lower tier" DO schools have plenty of happy and successful students and graduates just like the established ones

Remember that 10 years ago even DO school like Nova had a 24 average MCAT score... School like KYCOM average MCAT was 21-22, meaning a lot people were getting in with 18-19 MCAT score. Not to mention the MCAT was or might have been a little bit easier based on the AAMCs practice test I took.

the "lower tier" DO schools have plenty of happy and successful students and graduates just like the established ones
I don't doubt that -- I have friends at some of "them" who are plenty happy (and will be successful/great doctors).

What I was saying is, personally, I don't understand why someone would work hard for 4+ years to get a great GPA and then put minimal effort into a test which is, arguably, almost as important. Though they might be able to get in somewhere, that shows a lack of effort and pride in their work.

... and yes, I will preemptively say that I know some people try hard and still score poorly.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember that 10 years ago even DO school like Nova had a 24 average MCAT score... School like KYCOM average MCAT was 21-22, meaning a lot people were getting in with 18-19 MCAT score. Not to mention the MCAT was or might have been a little bit easier based on the AAMCs practice test I took.

The thing is that when you've got people with higher stats and stuff chances are it doesn't matter if it's arbitary, they will win. That's how it is to get into undergrad, that's how it is to get into med school.

The thing is that when you've got people with higher stats and stuff chances are it doesn't matter if it's arbitary, they will win. That's how it is to get into undergrad, that's how it is to get into med school.
I know that... I was answering to the other poster who somewhat implied that low mcat will not 'produce' competent physician....

I know that... I was answering to the other poster who somewhat implied that low mcat will not 'produce' competent physician....

Probably not, though some stats show they may be at risk of failing out or not passing the boards.

Yeah, the earlier practice tests were so easy! I killed those ones before stumbling on the recent ones. I think this is due to the advancement in the knowledge of science. We are taught a lot of advance stuff in even introductory bio that students in the 90s could only dreamed of.

Yeah, the earlier practice tests were so easy! I killed those ones before stumbling on the recent ones. I think this is due to the advancement in the knowledge of science. We are taught a lot of advance stuff in even introductory bio that students in the 90s could only dreamed of.

I think it's because prep courses have gotten much better at cracking the MCAT.

Where most will reject you.

This guy is either stupid with his money ( No offense man) or brave.

I have not posted anything on this thread regarding my progress lately simply because I do not like the turn this thread has taken. With that in mind, I will post since I have seen my "name" thrown out a bit.

Serenade,
I would not say I am Stupid with my money, but determined. To be honest, I do take offense to your comment because you have no idea what my application looks like in its entirety. Yes, I do have a low MCAT score, and yes there is the possibility that I might not get in this cycle even with three interviews, but there is a lot more on my application that might of helped me get those interviews. I knew that if I did not apply this cycle I would always beat myself up for it, and so far I am very happy that I did. I have a great family that encourages me every step of the way and they offered financial support so that I was able to apply this cycle. Wost case scenario I have to retake the MCAT and reapply next cycle, then so be it. I will gladly do it.

I do not mean any disrespect to you or any other of the SDN members, on the contrary. If I may suggest, please do not go around saying that someone might be "stupid" or any other thing of that nature for applying and chasing their dream. I am sure we ALL have the same dream of becoming a physician and will do as much as we can to accomplish it!

And I meant no disrespect towards you, I'll go ahead and just assume it's 95% brave ;)

I hope to gain some support and/or insight for my current situation.

First try (7/6/11): 7PS, 4VR, 6BS = 17
Second try (5/24/12): 10PS, 6VR, 6BS = 22
Third try: (9/11/12): 9PS, 5VR, 9BS = 23

My cGPA is 3.41, my sGPA is 3.64

I have many shadowing hours and I have been working in the hospital, full-time for the past 7 months as a PCA.

I have applied to 12 schools and received 10 secondaries. Currently, I have two schools on hold (pre-interview) and three that I haven't heard from (pre-interview). The rest are denials.

Thoughts?

I hope to gain some support and/or insight for my current situation.

First try (7/6/11): 7PS, 4VR, 6BS = 17
Second try (5/24/12): 10PS, 6VR, 6BS = 22
Third try: (9/11/12): 9PS, 5VR, 9BS = 23

My cGPA is 3.41, my sGPA is 3.64

I have many shadowing hours and I have been working in the hospital, full-time for the past 7 months as a PCA.

I have applied to 12 schools and received 10 secondaries. Currently, I have two schools on hold (pre-interview) and three that I haven't heard from (pre-interview). The rest are denials.

Thoughts?

Where all did you apply?

Where all did you apply?

Still waiting (pre-interview): PCOM, LECOM-Erie, KYCOM
On hold (pre-interview): WVSOM, KCOM
Denied: LECOM-Bradenton, DMU, ATSU-AZ, RVUCOM, AZCOM, KCUMB
Still haven't received secondary: VCOM

Still waiting (pre-interview): PCOM, LECOM-Erie, KYCOM
On hold (pre-interview): WVSOM, KCOM
Denied: LECOM-Bradenton, DMU, ATSU-AZ, RVUCOM, AZCOM, KCUMB
Still haven't received secondary: VCOM
you could try adding LUCOM, ACOM, LMU, WCU, PNWU and/or PCOM-Ga even though it is late.

you could try adding LUCOM, ACOM, LMU, WCU, PNWU and/or PCOM-Ga even though it is late.

I think that would be a waste of money. If it doesn't work out this year, I will just reapply this June. I'm retaking the MCAT in March, regardless the outcome.

I think that would be a waste of money. If it doesn't work out this year, I will just reapply this June. I'm retaking the MCAT in March, regardless the outcome.
fair enough, you will certainly have lots more opportunities if you can raise your MCAT even a point