2013-2014 University of California, Riverside School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else curious and excited about UCR? Finally CA gets a new medical school! How many seats does this open up? :)

I'm definitely applying here! OOS, but it's my dad's alma mater and a great area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else curious and excited about UCR? Finally CA gets a new medical school! How many seats does this open up? :)

The class of 2017 will have 50 students... I'm not sure about 2018. I know they plan on expanding over time though.

Last edited:
So form all of the threads that I have read about UCR, it seems as if they tend to favor students from the Inland Empire region. Do you think I should apply here being a Nor-Cal kid or do you think it would be a waste of time?

So form all of the threads that I have read about UCR, it seems as if they tend to favor students from the Inland Empire region. Do you think I should apply here being a Nor-Cal kid or do you think it would be a waste of time?

I think as long as you express a willingness to work in the area, your application will be considered. Personally I didn't grow up in Riverside, but my parents now live an hour away (towards SD) and my girlfriend's family is from the city of Riverside as well. So I will mention all my connections to the area and hopefully have a decent shot. :)

So excited! UCR alumn, I actually desire to work in primary care and work in the area I grew up in!
One of my top choices. Praying!
Good luck everyone

Think I have a chance here? Murrieta raised (riverside county), 3.35 gpa, 34 MCAT, family still in riverside, Hispanic, good ECs.

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Think I have a chance here? Murrieta raised (riverside county), 3.35 gpa, 34 MCAT, family still in riverside, Hispanic, good ECs.

Everything sounds great except the GPA. Was your performance consistent while you were in college, or did you improve towards the end? (What was the trend?) And what is your science GPA (math, chem, physics, bio)

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

No

Everything sounds great except the GPA. Was your performance consistent while you were in college, or did you improve towards the end? (What was the trend?) And what is your science GPA (math, chem, physics, bio)

No

Definitely an upwards trend. 4.0 last semester. 3.2 science.

Man, I want a secondary! Dies anyone have an idea when they might come out?

Does anyone know if UCR asks about misdemeanor convictions on their secondary? I have an expunged "drunk in public" from nearly a decade ago that I didn't have to disclose on the primary, and I would rather not have to mention it in a secondary. :( Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tha dean of UCR med school is such great man and he mentioned that they will have 50 spots for class of 2018 but they increase to 100 for class of 2019! i met him in an info session! i would love to go to this school, but i have low stats, 28/3.7 sGPA/3.8 cGPA

Man, I want a secondary! Dies anyone have an idea when they might come out?

Any word on a secondary?

I'm not expecting them to roll out the secondaries before mid August. Keep in mind, they will also be screening for secondaries (not everyone gets a secondary)

I'm not expecting them to roll out the secondaries before mid August. Keep in mind, they will also be screening for secondaries (not everyone gets a secondary)

August huh? Hopefully I won't get screened out. I'm from Riverside, plan on staying in the area, and have a 34 MCAT. Now as for my gpa... It's struggling a little more. But I'd love to go to UCR!

August huh? Hopefully I won't get screened out. I'm from Riverside, plan on staying in the area, and have a 34 MCAT. Now as for my gpa... It's struggling a little more. But I'd love to go to UCR!

Waiting waiting waiting. haha This is a top choice, as an alumni. come on secondaries!

hey everyone from UCR, when we selected UCR on the amcas to apply to, we were supposed to click "special program" or whatever that was correct?

Yeah, that's what I did. To be placed with the rest of the applicants who are alumni.

Can someone post the questions? :) thanks

It's a doozy of a secondary.

-Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant. (250 words)

-What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated? (250 words)

-What has been the single MOST important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (250 words)

-What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received? Why do you view this as important? (250 words)

-What has been your MOST scholarly project (thesis, research, or field of study in basic or clinical sciences or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates, and advisor(s). (250 words)

-Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (250 words)

-Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.) (250 words)

-Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (250 words)

-What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue? (250 words)

-PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.

2ndary received. Also a Riverside County resident (before college).

Ewww, they have MMI!

-Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant. (250 words)

-What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated? (250 words)

-What has been the single MOST important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (250 words)

-What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received? Why do you view this as important? (250 words)

-What has been your MOST scholarly project (thesis, research, or field of study in basic or clinical sciences or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates, and advisor(s). (250 words)

-Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (250 words)

-Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.) (250 words)

-Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (250 words)

-What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue? (250 words)

-PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.

Longest secondary I have received

Wondering if I got screened out here... Was verified before initial data transmission and have not received the secondary yet. Anybody know if they screen?

I can't imagine getting screened here as I am a so cal resident and got a secondary from UCSF...

One hell of a secondary...

anybody else with a verified app not get a secondary yet?

Wondering if I got screened out here... Was verified before initial data transmission and have not received the secondary yet. Anybody know if they screen?

I can't imagine getting screened here as I am a so cal resident and got a secondary from UCSF...

Yes, they screen. Why can't you imagine getting "screened out" from UCR? I have friends who never got secondaries from UCLA but got accepted into UCSF and Stanford. It happens...

you forgot:
4) Have you received any honors while in college?

and there's also a disadvantaged question if you declared that.

For the "Activities" section:
Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

Are you guys writing out an entire DESCRIPTION of what you did under the description (even though this information might already be on the AMCAS application) or just the "title that you held" during that activity?

For the "Activities" section:
Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

Are you guys writing out an entire DESCRIPTION of what you did under the description (even though this information might already be on the AMCAS application) or just the "title that you held" during that activity?

I just wrote the title of the description

Yes, they screen. Why can't you imagine getting "screened out" from UCR? I have friends who never got secondaries from UCLA but got accepted into UCSF and Stanford. It happens...

Mostly because my app is more community service based rather than research, and I believe UCR emphasizes community service. And I am fairly sure it couldn't be numbers based. Just hoping I didn't get screened out here for some obscure reason as it is one of my top choices.

Mostly because my app is more community service based rather than research, and I believe UCR emphasizes community service. And I am fairly sure it couldn't be numbers based. Just hoping I didn't get screened out here for some obscure reason as it is one of my top choices.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get one! I too am more community service oriented (but didn't get a secondary from UCSF.. yet :xf: )

I'm sure more secondaries will be sent out tomorrow or Monday. This happened to me with another school too.

Agreed.

Secondary received also, IS, non-Riverside county resident, non-trad, average stats, not particularly community oriented activities IMO.

This secondary is of epic proportions.

yea... UCR definitely has a STRONG mission statement :)

I have managed to strike a balance between community service and research (I have A LOT of research experience)... So I am actually surprised that I got a secondary from UCR and not from UCSF :'(.

yea... UCR definitely has a STRONG mission statement :)

I have managed to strike a balance between community service and research (I have A LOT of research experience)... So I am actually surprised that I got a secondary from UCR and not from UCSF :'(.

I was actually really surprised I got one from UCSF... Research is by far the weakest point of my application. This process just seems so random.

I was actually really surprised I got one from UCSF... Research is by far the weakest point of my application. This process just seems so random.

Right back at you, this process seems very random...

2 years ago I got a UCSF secondary, but this year I'm not so sure I'll get one. Bizarre considering how much my application has improved :confused: I hope you get one from Riverside bro, good luck!! :luck:

Hey guys -- really minor question: on the Biographical page, the secondary asks for your college address...does this refer to your address at college or the address of your college?

I assumed it was asking for the address of my college, but the way it's worded ("College Address if different from Permanent Address)" confused me. Thanks ahead of time.

2 years ago I got a UCSF secondary, but this year I'm not so sure I'll get one. Bizarre considering how much my application has improved :confused: I hope you get one from Riverside bro, good luck!! :luck:

Entadus you will get a secondary from UCSF. If I got one, then there is no reason at all why you shouldn't get one.

Thanks! I'm sure you'll get one from UCSF... If you haven't gotten the primary received email yet they likely just haven't gotten to your app yet. I submitted day one but it still took them a while to get to me.

Did anyone get an email saying they WON'T get a secondary? If not, I'd relax. They often come over a few days time.

Did anyone get an email saying they WON'T get a secondary? If not, I'd relax. They often come over a few days time.
+1

Thanks for the cool and collected bit of wisdom :)

Is anyone else having trouble adding new activities to that drop-down answer question about the most important activities? Whenever I try and add another activity it brings me to this sketch page written in internet code. :confused: