2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, to be where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars. :love:

Debating whether or not I should throw my hat in the ring here. What's the secondary look like in terms of essays and cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dream school. I would be ecstatic to even get a secondary from them .... Good luck to all!!

Dream school. I would be ecstatic to even get a secondary from them .... Good luck to all!!

Same here. OOS chances + high tuition and living costs with minimal financial aid (from what I've heard) = 0.0000001% chance I end up matriculating at UCSF. Not going to stop me from applying, though :p

The Niners stadium will be hosting the Superbowl in 2016. I think I'm gonna add this school just because of that. Plus some stuff about clinical training and whatever :D

Reactions: 1 user
Same here. OOS chances + high tuition and living costs with minimal financial aid (from what I've heard) = 0.0000001% chance I end up matriculating at UCSF. Not going to stop me from applying, though :p

Don't apply. Less chance for me .... :(

(PS ... What schools are you NOT applying to Bauman? I'll apply to those. :p)

Same here :p Best of luck to all of us -- someone's gotta get in! :laugh:

Hey all! I am an incoming MS1. Please feel free to post any questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Just keep in mind MS1’s have a very limited knowledge base. Best of luck!!!

Last edited:
I'm hoping to apply to JMP - if there's any current students on here who can speak to that, I'd appreciate the chance to get in touch with you and discuss it in further detail.

I'm hoping to apply to JMP - if there's any current students on here who can speak to that, I'd appreciate the chance to get in touch with you and discuss it in further detail.

Sorry, i did not apply to that program. I don't know much about it. Tots was accepted to that program, perhaps you should PM him.

Reaching for San Fran :)

Good luck all! (We're going to need it :luck:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't take it anymore. I know u guys can't really say for certain. With a 30 mcat and 3.98 science/overall GPA do u think I will be auto screened out?

dream!:love::love:
hopefully i have a chance with my extremely average stats... 32/c3.73/s3.6
fingers crossed

How tightly do they screen? Anyone know rough #s? (OOS)

wonder why they screen for secondaries when the only essay is an update of activities. unless there's other value added info that isn't listed on sdn.

The screen works in applicant's favor. If you're not a competitive candidate you will not waste money on a secondary fee.

Last edited:
The screen works in applicant's favor. If you're not a competitive candidate you will not waste money on a secondary fee.

obviously. i just found it curious they're not collecting everyone's money when they can.

Hey all! I am an incoming MS1. Please feel free to post any questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Just keep in mind MS1’s have a very limited knowledge base. Best of luck!!!

Would you interpret the secondary prompt as A) what have you been doing since you've submitted your application? or as B) write a pseudo "most meaningful" essay for one of your activities that you haven't already expanded upon?

I'm in my gap year and have been in research and that's mostly what all my time has gone to, but I've already written a most meaningful essay on my previous research, in which I was heavily involved. Basically, I'm wondering if I should interpret this prompt as an update essay or a "show us a different side of you we haven't seen" essay, since in my case, doing the former would essentially preclude addressing the latter.

Thanks so much for all your guidance! I hope you're enjoying your pre-MS1 summer!

Would you interpret the secondary prompt as A) what have you been doing since you've submitted your application? or as B) write a pseudo "most meaningful" essay for one of your activities that you haven't already expanded upon?

I'm in my gap year and have been in research and that's mostly what all my time has gone to, but I've already written a most meaningful essay on my previous research, in which I was heavily involved. Basically, I'm wondering if I should interpret this prompt as an update essay or a "show us a different side of you we haven't seen" essay, since in my case, doing the former would essentially preclude addressing the latter.

Thanks so much for all your guidance! I hope you're enjoying your pre-MS1 summer!

That's up to you. Some students did the former and some students did the latter. There is no clear evidence on which the adcom prefer, so you should go with the option that puts your app in the best light. I would avoid being redundant.

Last edited:
That's up to you. Some students did the former and some students did the latter. There is no clear evidence on which the adcom prefer, so you should go with the option that puts your app in the best light. I would avoid being redundant.

Thanks! Hahah, I guess I'll have to avoid writing an essay that resembles my posts then :laugh:

Could any current students here speak to the housing situation? I'm on the east coast and several of my mentors are encouraging me to apply here, but I'm hesitant given my lack of other connections to the west coast. Does UCSF guarantee housing the way NYC schools do? I've heard such nightmares about the SF rental market. Thanks!

Could any current students here speak to the housing situation? I'm on the east coast and several of my mentors are encouraging me to apply here, but I'm hesitant given my lack of other connections to the west coast. Does UCSF guarantee housing the way NYC schools do? I've heard such nightmares about the SF rental market. Thanks!

Cart waaaaaay before the horse. No guaranteed housing, but none of the MS1s last year were living on the street. An apt search more then a year from now should not scare you away from applying. It's a great school in a great city. You should apply to programs you like and make quality of life decisions after you get accepted.

Cart waaaaaay before the horse. No guaranteed housing, but none of the MS1s last year were living on the street. An apt search more then a year from now should not scare you away from applying. It's a great school in a great city. You should apply to programs you like and make quality of life decisions after you get accepted.

It's not cart before the horse at all. I'm a nontrad, so older, tired of living in borderline student apartments and with roommates, lots of experience dealing with crappy landlords in an expensive rental market, and the veteran of multiple jobs with 90+ minute commutes. I'm not hurting for top schools on the east coast (near family) I can apply to, so the housing availability and other quality of life issues are absolutely a factor in my decisions rounding out my school list.

So thank you for your answer, and I think that last top-20 slot on my list is going to go to UPenn. Best of luck to everyone!

Are letters of recommendation considered in the initial primary app screening process?

Also last year, today was the day the first batch of secondary invites were sent out :cool: ....:scared:

i noticed that on my tracking spreadsheet.

anyone know what the screen is based on? stats? ecs?

Just got an email saying they've received my verified AMCAS and that my app is ready for review. Thought for sure it was going to be a rejection email with how short it was.

Just got an email saying they've received my verified AMCAS and that my app is ready for review. Thought for sure it was going to be a rejection email with how short it was.

Yeah and with the 'Unfortunately' and 'We regret'... Gave me a mini-heart attack when I first opened it :uhno:

Got a secondary application. 34 MCAT 3.75 GPA In state with significant volunteering at UCSF. This is my top choice school and I dream to go here!

Got a secondary application. 34 MCAT 3.75 GPA In state with significant volunteering at UCSF. This is my top choice school and I dream to go here!

Wow congrats! That's a good feeling :)

I can't wait to hear from UCSF, I think I have a pretty good chance at a secondary this cycle.

I can't wait to hear from UCSF, I think I have a pretty good chance at a secondary this cycle.

Best of luck!! :thumbup: As an OOS-er, I'm hoping for some West coast love -- I've never lived there and would be stoked to have the chance to spend four years there!

Best of luck!! :thumbup: As an OOS-er, I'm hoping for some West coast love -- I've never lived there and would be stoked to have the chance to spend four years there!

I wish I was as confident as you guys. T.T As an OOS-er, my chances of secondary with my stats seem low. Oh well, it's still my top choice until otherwise. :laugh:

I wish I was as confident as you guys. T.T As an OOS-er, my chances of secondary with my stats seem low. Oh well, it's still my top choice until otherwise. :laugh:

At least you have chances at U of W and UCSF. Us Cali kids have no chance at U of W. :p

At least you have chances at U of W and UCSF. Us Cali kids have no chance at U of W. :p

I guess you're a glass half full person. :laugh:

Well for my UW, you guys have UCSD, LA, Davis, Irvine, Riverside, Merced. ;)

I guess you're a glass half full person. :laugh:

Well for my UW, you guys have UCSD, LA, Davis, Irvine, Riverside, Merced. ;)

Yeah? Yeah? Well... we also have.... in-n-out!

Oh, wait... :D

EDIT: actually there is no med school at Merced btw

Yeah? Yeah? Well... we also have.... in-n-out!

Oh, wait... :D

EDIT: actually there is no med school at Merced btw

I'm banking on you getting into ucsf so I can take your spot at one of the midwest schools we're applying to :)