2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Accepted to JMP today! I interviewed in late Feb, and then was placed on the alternate list in late March. Found out via phone call yesterday that I was in, and then received an e-mail saying to check an updated status which confirmed it. Yaaaay :)

Congrats!! Just wondering - did you send an LOI/Update letter? I'm also on the alternate list and am on pins and needles! It's my dream program and also my only interview. Wondering if I should send something even if I already told Mary Rita verbally that I would for sure attend (and not much to update on either).

Congrats!! Just wondering - did you send an LOI/Update letter? I'm also on the alternate list and am on pins and needles! It's my dream program and also my only interview. Wondering if I should send something even if I already told Mary Rita verbally that I would for sure attend (and not much to update on either).

Interestingly enough, I actually didn't send anything after my interview- no thank-you notes, LOI, or other written communication. I asked about sending thank you notes at the end of my interview and was told explicitly not to send them. I later called in mid march expressing my interest (this is my dream program too! 99% sure I'm going to commit), and she said she would flag my file as someone who expressed interest, but that it wouldn't be helpful if I sent anything in writing since no one would be reading it. She let me know I could call again in early April or mid April to get a better sense of my status. When I called early April (after knowing I was on the alternate list), I was told again not to send anything, that there might be some movement, and that she would have a better idea of my place in mid April.

My sense is that the alternate list is ranked, because she called me before the acceptance call saying I was one of the top alternates, and then let on that I was the next one (provided someone ahead of me chose not to commit). I remember the anxiety that comes with being in limbo, so I really feel for you! Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interestingly enough, I actually didn't send anything after my interview- no thank-you notes, LOI, or other written communication. I asked about sending thank you notes at the end of my interview and was told explicitly not to send them. I later called in mid march expressing my interest (this is my dream program too! 99% sure I'm going to commit), and she said she would flag my file as someone who expressed interest, but that it wouldn't be helpful if I sent anything in writing since no one would be reading it. She let me know I could call again in early April or mid April to get a better sense of my status. When I called early April (after knowing I was on the alternate list), I was told again not to send anything, that there might be some movement, and that she would have a better idea of my place in mid April.

My sense is that the alternate list is ranked, because she called me before the acceptance call saying I was one of the top alternates, and then let on that I was the next one (provided someone ahead of me chose not to commit). I remember the anxiety that comes with being in limbo, so I really feel for you! Good luck and I hope everything works out.

First of all, congratulations!!
Does JMP have a different admissions office from the regular MD program? I thought they reevaluated MD applicants in May, meaning that a written letter would be taken into consideration.

First of all, congratulations!!
Does JMP have a different admissions office from the regular MD program? I thought they reevaluated MD applicants in May, meaning that a written letter would be taken into consideration.
Definitely different admissions- sorry I can't speak to anything re: the md-only program!

Thanks so much for the detailed response!! Definitely very helpful in easing some of my limbo anxiety!

Does anybody know or can comment on the waves of waitlist movement in the past? It seems like there is definitely movement right after May 15th but is it slow for the rest of the summer?
Also, can anybody on the waitlist comment on what they're doing for housing? Or can MS students comment on what they did for housing in the past? I feel weird seeking out potential roommates and appts at a different medical school when my heart is set on UCSF. Thanks!

I can't wait to meet all of you this weekend for ASW! Is anyone going to the events tonight? Hopefully the rain doesn't cancel the beach bonfire :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know or can comment on the waves of waitlist movement in the past? It seems like there is definitely movement right after May 15th but is it slow for the rest of the summer?
Also, can anybody on the waitlist comment on what they're doing for housing? Or can MS students comment on what they did for housing in the past? I feel weird seeking out potential roommates and appts at a different medical school when my heart is set on UCSF. Thanks!

Housing here in SF is crazy. You can't really start looking until about a month before you are planning to move here. So, if you're looking to move here in August, you can look in July. A lot of places do not post on Craigslist until two or three weeks before they need someone - so there is really no point looking before then.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck contacting the coordinator for the JMP regarding waitlist movement? I was wondering if we could expect any more movement since April 15th has past already. I tried calling a few times already, but I have not received any answer.

Has anyone had any luck contacting the coordinator for the JMP regarding waitlist movement? I was wondering if we could expect any more movement since April 15th has past already. I tried calling a few times already, but I have not received any answer.

Did you call Mary Rita's phone? I've always been able to reach her. If there's been no answer, she's probably on vacay - I know she or someone else mentioned she'll be out at some point near 15 April. The last time I called was 16 April - at that point Mary Rita said she was still calling stragglers who hadn't responded yet. I'll probably call again soonish (though I hate being annoying) since I need to start job hunting soon and some idea of whether or not I'll be in school in June would be helpful... (JMP was the only program I interviewed with).

I guess if there were ppl that hadn't responded by the JMP deadline that's sort of a good sign... Maybe... Hopefully... The JMP is my dream program and I know I certainly wouldn't let a deadline pass without responding - I'd be so on top of that **** you don't even know!!!

If you hear anything useful keep us posted!! I'll do the same. :) And good luck!

Anyone care to report on their ASW experience?

Seconded. Also, can anybody comment on how promptly the admissions office responds to emails? I feel like if you're trying to ask a question regarding how they should contact you if you move off of the alternate list while you're abroad, they should respond eventually, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations everyone! I hope you all the very best where you attend MS1!

I am applying to UC Postbac programs and want to ask if anyone here got an acceptance coming from an UC academic enhancement program?

I am curious to how UCSF looks at postbac students. I know a couple UCs will separate the postbac students and specifically send them secondary letters.

Thank you in advance!

Anyone know if UCSF negotiates aid? Trying to decide which school to go to. This is extremely hard decision and need to know if UCSF has a process? (Email, call?)

Thanks for the help guys! I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

They have stated on multiple occasions that they do not negotiate aid or scholarship match. All their aid is need-based and what you qualify for is what you qualify for. Good news is your aid increases by 4% each year.

For those who have been accepted, has your status changed in the student portal?

Last edited:
Bumping to see if anyone can answer my last question.
Don't trip it is common. The status won't change for a while. If you read at the bottom of the page it states that:
"*The Office of the Registrar receives periodic updates from schools and programs about the admission status of applicants. After you receive information about your admission status, several weeks or months may pass before the student portal reflects a change in your admission status. Please do not be concerned about this delay, as your admission status will be updated in the student portal well in advance of any obligations or deadlines relating to your eventual registration as a UCSF student. If you are admitted within three weeks of the start date of your program, you may contact the Office of the Registrar at 415-476-8280 or [email protected] if your status in the student portal does not update promptly."

Reposting something I wrote in the alternate thread for some more input:

Hi everyone. I am currently choosing between UCSF and WashU, something I never thought would take much thought only a short while ago, and wanted to hear some of your opinions on UCSF (as well as UC in general). Something that is very disconcerting to me is faculty moral at UCSF, and I guess it runs across the UC system. From a UCSF community report that glossed over this very quickly:"43 percent of all faculty members and 37 percent of all staff members said they seriously considered leaving UCSF in the past year. These numbers are consistent with systemwide [UC] rates." http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/03/112586/ucsf-community-reports-positive-work-and-study-climate

That same survey found a majority of faculty had an increase in workload due to Operation Excellence. All of this was sent to the chancellor in early May. While the above article addresses how UCSF will work on other issues, it doesn't seem say anything about working on this, rather than that is just the norm.

This is really throwing me a curveball. UCSF was my dream school, but in the last year or so I personally know professors who have left UCSF, and am afraid that if those faculty members who stay and are both busier and dissatisfied, that it will lead to less opportunities for students, and lower quality instruction (I was employed by an overworked UC professor teaching a 2nd year rotation and can guarantee his ability to teach to his fullest potential was compromised by a lack of time).

I feel the opposite is true at WashU, where students and faculty boast how finding research mentors (and compensation) is as easy as sending a few emails, and am sure the same goes for many other medical schools.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions SDN. Should I worry?

conflict between the faculty and the admin goes on everywhere and it's almost inevitable.

Hey All, I officially withdrew recently. UCSF is a truly exceptional place; definitely one of the most difficult decisions I have been forced to make. I really hope my seat goes to one of you very deserving hopefuls. Good luck to each of you!

I was accepted off of the waitlist this morning! Good luck to everyone still waiting :)

Reactions: 1 users