2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you get a status change on the check application page, or do they email you the secondary directly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get a status change on the check application page, or do they email you the secondary directly?

You just get an email telling you of a status change then when you check it the secondary is on that site.

You just get an email telling you of a status change then when you check it the secondary is on that site.

Thanks man, I really hope I end up getting one, but it's already been a week since I got their "application in screening" email. Realistically, as an OOS applicant, I'm not holding my breath.

I got the AMCAS acknowledged email on 7/23 and still no secondary :( Any hope left?

Thanks man, I really hope I end up getting one, but it's already been a week since I got their "application in screening" email. Realistically, as an OOS applicant, I'm not holding my breath.

I feel you, man - I'm pulling for you. I'm OOS too so I was pretty pumped about mine. I think the fact that they interview 50% of the people who get secondaries is pretty awesome too. Makes spending the $80 on the secondary actually seem worth it lol

I feel you, man - I'm pulling for you. I'm OOS too so I was pretty pumped about mine. I think the fact that they interview 50% of the people who get secondaries is pretty awesome too. Makes spending the $80 on the secondary actually seem worth it lol

Is that really true? Their website says they only interview 500 people. That would mean they only give 1000 secondaries...? I was sure it was more than that...

Nope. They send up about 1500 secondaries and give IIs to about 500.

Is that really true? Their website says they only interview 500 people. That would mean they only give 1000 secondaries...? I was sure it was more than that...

Nope. They send up about 1500 secondaries and give IIs to about 500.

My understanding from a current MS2 at UCSF is that they only give out 1000 secondaries and interview 500 and accept ~250 on any given year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope to get the secondary soon!

Last edited:
Got a secondary today and im shocked, OOS. I had pretty much given up hope. It's been exactly 2 weeks since they sent the AMCAS received email on July 25th.

Last edited:
Anybody else applying to PRIME? I'm up in the air about it. I really like parts of the program and others (like the masters) I'm not as interested in. My understanding is that to even be considered for PRIME you have to be admitted to UCSF through the regular MD admissions anyway so its not a separate application process like with UCLA

I'm torn.

For those of you who have submitted the secondary, what does it say on your status page? I submitted 7/26 and all it says is "secondary submitted."

I've given up on UCSF .... Dream school but it was a long shot. Already past two weeks since verification email.

Oh well ... hope to see you for residency.

I've given up on UCSF .... Dream school but it was a long shot. Already past two weeks since verification email.

+1. Esp. RE: residency lol

They do not do silent rejections. So you're still in the running until they say you're out

Can someone explain how it works if you apply to the MD program and MD/MMP..do people in the MD/MMP track usually have higher stats? Is there even data on this?

Also, for the optional part..how are you guys putting in specific reasons to attend ucsf if it's asking for updates on activities.

thanks!

good luck all!

I'm also wondering the same thing about the MMP track. Can anyone chime in?

Secondary received! secondary+primary received email sent at the same time; IS; no letters assigned on primary

I'm also wondering the same thing about the MMP track. Can anyone chime in?

I think it has less to do with stats and more to do with prior experience with research. There is also no essay for MMP like there is with the MD/MS so I think it's more of an interest thing, not a formal track you apply for during the admissions cycle. I could be wrong, but this is what I've gathered after reading everything I could find online about the two programs.

Last edited:
I also received my primary received and secondary invite email at the same time last night. I'm OOS so I'm pretty happy right now.

Edit: Also, just submitted tonight.

Last edited:
Got the secondary tonight!! So grateful and relieved :)

Primary acknowledgement received via email 7/23

Uh oh - I received their application received email on 7/23 but didn't actually create an account til today (I didn't read carefully enough and didn't realize I had to make an account). Guess I shot myself in the foot here, didn't I? :(

Uh oh - I received their application received email on 7/23 but didn't actually create an account til today (I didn't read carefully enough and didn't realize I had to make an account). Guess I shot myself in the foot here, didn't I? :(

I don't think you need to create an account in order to receive a secondary. No self inflicted bullet wounds, you're fine

Anyone get a fee waiver without getting the FAP. I received the FAP last year but for some reason they denied me this year. Nothing really changed in terms of my financial status since last year. I emailed the office to see if I could get one, but I am debating if it's worth delaying the submission of the secondary if they are going to make me wait a week and deny me anyway.

Last edited:
So my application is complete, but I recently found out from another school that one of my letters doesn't have a signature/letterhead. First of all does UCSF care about letterheads/signatures because I know for example USC has marked my letters and application as complete, second of all if they do care can I send in an additional letter while being marked complete or is it too late for that now?

So my application is complete, but I recently found out from another school that one of my letters doesn't have a signature/letterhead. First of all does UCSF care about letterheads/signatures because I know for example USC has marked my letters and application as complete, second of all if they do care can I send in an additional letter while being marked complete or is it too late for that now?

I can't speak about UCSF specifically but most schools will email you if your letters don't qualify and will give you the opportunity to send another one. You should probably just call or email them to ask if your letter passes the test.

Did anyone leave the additional information essay out?

I was under the impression that all schools require it. I would call UCSF to double check, and at the same time email all your writers to double check if the letter was on official letter head and update/resend if not. I feel like UCSF is such a competitive school that it would be intolerant of any mistakes even if it isn't the fault of the applicant.

Did anyone leave the additional information essay out?

Yeah I left it blank. Usually the optional secondary question is 'do you have anything to add', which is very general. But the wording for this one was specific. My activities were covered pretty completely in AMCAS, so I just skipped it.

Anyone know when they gave the last secondaries out last year? Last year's thread looked like a few people got them in October.

Thanks for the replies! I thought that no one left it blank so I was peer pressured into writing something. LOL. Oh well, submitted! *Dream school*:D

Secondary invite! I was verified 8/17 (Saturday) and received both the primary received/secondary invite at the same time last night (Sunday). Automatic screen?

I have a theory on the secondaries at UCSF:

I believe that the California residents get the secondary on a first come, first serve basis if they meet a minimum GPA and MCAT requirement. It seems to only be Cali residents who are getting the automatic primary received message followed by an immediate secondary invite, while those of us who are out of state have to wait a little while to see if we get secondaries.

So, if my theory is right and you're a competitive Cali resident with high numbers, get your primary in ASAP cause they only give out a limited number of secondaries.

Just a theory lol

Secondary invite! I was verified 8/17 (Saturday) and received both the primary received/secondary invite at the same time last night (Sunday). Automatic screen?

Sierra Nevada makes me sick... lol

unrelated. does ucsf silent reject or do they email you a rejection? just curious.

I believe that the California residents get the secondary on a first come, first serve basis if they meet a minimum GPA and MCAT requirement. It seems to only be Cali residents who are getting the automatic primary received message followed by an immediate secondary invite, while those of us who are out of state have to wait a little while to see if we get secondaries.

So, if my theory is right and you're a competitive Cali resident with high numbers, get your primary in ASAP cause they only give out a limited number of secondaries.

Just a theory lol

I actually am OOS and got an almost automatic primary received then secondary email. I have a mediocre GPA, but very high MCAT.

Just a theory lol

I actually am OOS and got an almost automatic primary received then secondary email. I have a mediocre GPA, but very high MCAT.

I'm the same. I was OOS and received the automatic primary and secondary at the same time. I also have a decent gpa but very high mcat.

I'm the same. I was OOS and received the automatic primary and secondary at the same time. I also have a decent gpa but very high mcat.

Interesting. Theory debunked :laugh:

Maybe they automatically send it on a first come, first serve basis to everyone with a 37+ MCAT? :laugh:

Interesting. Theory debunked :laugh:

Maybe they automatically send it on a first come, first serve basis to everyone with a 37+ MCAT? :laugh:

Sorry to debunk it further lol but I have two friends with a 37 and neither got a secondary after receiving the primary conformation email. Maybe the cutoff could be 38?

Just a theory lol

Out of state and my application received and secondary invitation emails were 30s apart. I think we are thinking too deeply about this.

Perhaps the screeners have to press two buttons in their web browsers (send primary app received & send secondary). Perhaps some either only push one or two after they have read the application and decide whether to do an interview invitation or not, while others are more conscientious.

I base this on absolutely nothing.

Sorry to debunk it further lol but I have two friends with a 37 and neither got a secondary after receiving the primary conformation email. Maybe the cutoff could be 38?

Damn. I have no idea :laugh:

I'm just happy to have gotten a secondary, regardless of how that decision was made (definitely wasn't my MCAT, but I have a pretty interesting app lol)