2013-2014 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was continued this week. Very disappointed bc this is by far my top choice. Definitely not giving up hope though.

Members don't see this ad.

I was continued this week. Very disappointed bc this is by far my top choice. Definitely not giving up hope though.

Sorry to hear that. Keep in touch with the admissions office and update them with info as possible. Good luck.

Sent from my phone, please forgive any typos

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry! It stings. We're in for the long haul together, if it makes you feel better!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone participating or lurking have insight into when the committee will be meeting next?

Just got the call with a 180k scholarship. I'm blown away. Wow. Hope all you also hear back soon with some great news too! :D :biglove:

EDIT: my online status still just says "Interview Complete" (I had been checking semi-regularly to see if I had been put on hold without notice)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call with a 180k scholarship. I'm blown away. Wow. Hope all you also hear back soon with some great news too! :D :biglove:

EDIT: my online status still just says "Interview Complete" (I had been checking semi-regularly to see if I had been put on hold without notice)

Congrats!

Has anyone been accepted w/o a scholarship? lol

Congrats! When did you interview?

Congrats Jeghaber!!!! That's awesome! When did you interview (I interviewed early January and feel like I have a while to wait before I hear anything) =>

Got this great news as well!! I LOVED pritzker. I am so excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! When did you interview?

Congrats Jeghaber!!!! That's awesome! When did you interview (I interviewed early January and feel like I have a while to wait before I hear anything) =>

Thanks guys! I interviewed on 12/5. It's pretty exciting as I also really liked Pritkzer from when I visited :)

Hi @NickNaylor. I interviewed here back in mid-October and was continued mid-November. I have since sent it 2 status updates (publications, etc.). Do you know if anybody from this last round was accepted off the continued list? Also, given the presumed schedule of every 2 weeks, which they haven't really been sticking to lately, do you think the Pritzker adcom will do one more round of acceptances before the first week of March?

@NickNaylor

For those of us still waiting for decisions post-interview, do you have any idea what the scholarship situation is? My instinct is that they have probably already awarded a majority of them, but I don't want to give up hope!

Anyone else getting the post-interview silent treatment? I interviewed early December and haven't heard anything one way or the other. Pritzker is so my top choice, but I don't have any particular updates to send in -- I'm non-trad and, uh, haven't been fired from my job, but I'm guessing a letter to that effect wouldn't score me any points... Anyone else in the same uncertain and increasingly-anxious boat?

Does anyone know what happens when those w/scholarship money decline and go else where? What happens to that scholarship $$$? Do they give it to someone else who matriculates and didn't receive $$$ when they were first accepted?

Does anyone know what happens when those w/scholarship money decline and go else where? What happens to that scholarship $$$? Do they give it to someone else who matriculates and didn't receive $$$ when they were first accepted?

I believe they give out way more scholarship money then they have, anticipating that there will be people who don't take it

My understanding is that there is some sort of "order" to who receives what for different scholarships. Thus, if someone with a full scholarship withdraws and attends another school, someone with a $180k would be "promoted" (for lack of a better word) to a higher scholarship. I have heard of people with the old $160k scholarship getting bumped up to $200k around May.

This is anecdotal though.

Hi @NickNaylor. I interviewed here back in mid-October and was continued mid-November. I have since sent it 2 status updates (publications, etc.). Do you know if anybody from this last round was accepted off the continued list? Also, given the presumed schedule of every 2 weeks, which they haven't really been sticking to lately, do you think the Pritzker adcom will do one more round of acceptances before the first week of March?

To be honest I have no idea. However, as I've mentioned before, activity on the continued list tends to pick up around March or April as people begin making their final decisions. This isn't a sure-fire thing, of course, but that's really the only information I have.

@NickNaylor

For those of us still waiting for decisions post-interview, do you have any idea what the scholarship situation is? My instinct is that they have probably already awarded a majority of them, but I don't want to give up hope!

They have likely awarded the majority of them by now (just like they have likely accepted the majority of applicants that will be accepted). That said, scholarship money will be distributed as it becomes available; if someone who received a scholarship declines their acceptance, then that frees up money that can be given to another person or multiple people. My advice would be this: if you've already been accepted and money is a big concern for you, e-mail the admissions office and let them know that. You never know what they might be able to throw your way.

Anyone else getting the post-interview silent treatment? I interviewed early December and haven't heard anything one way or the other. Pritzker is so my top choice, but I don't have any particular updates to send in -- I'm non-trad and, uh, haven't been fired from my job, but I'm guessing a letter to that effect wouldn't score me any points... Anyone else in the same uncertain and increasingly-anxious boat?

I'd still wait a bit longer - assuming you interviewed in the first week of December, that's still "only" ~8 weeks, not including a week or two for Christmas vacation. I'd recommend getting in touch if you haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks.

See my post above - this money is distributed to other students as it becomes available. In contrast to what sh0rtstop above said, I don't think more scholarship money is awarded than is available, though I don't know that for sure. Regardless, it will be hard to know when a student with a scholarship declines their acceptance - unless they've posted here, of course.

Regardless, I'll repeat what I said above: let the admissions office know if money is the primary factor holding you back from attending Pritzker.

See my post above - this money is distributed to other students as it becomes available. In contrast to what sh0rtstop above said, I don't think more scholarship money is awarded than is available, though I don't know that for sure. Regardless, it will be hard to know when a student with a scholarship declines their acceptance - unless they've posted here, of course.

Regardless, I'll repeat what I said above: let the admissions office know if money is the primary factor holding you back from attending Pritzker.
Wondering what it would be like to be a student here and not receive a scholarship, knowing that such a huge % of your classmates are paying so much less. That's not something I would say to admissions of course, but it's something I think about, sadly.

I was going to wait until financial aid comes back before asking about whether there is any possibility of a scholarship, but do you recommend reaching out sooner?

Edit: I hope I didn't come off as some entitled jerk. I do feel tremendously blessed with just an acceptance.

Last edited:
I'd still wait a bit longer - assuming you interviewed in the first week of December, that's still "only" ~8 weeks, not including a week or two for Christmas vacation. I'd recommend getting in touch if you haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks.

Will do, thanks. (And thank you in general for frequenting this thread and answering our questions!)

Question for NickNaylor (or any other current studenst): I know most students live in Regents Park, but has anyone tried the newly renovated and re-opened Shoreland apartments? shorelandchicago.com

Any UChicago undergrads in here probably know about the building. It was a luxury hotel built in the early 1900's and later became a (rather run-down) dormitory. But now it's back and awesome and it has a game room with ping-pong and a library and super fast internet and stuff.

My roommate and I are planning on living in Shoreland next year. It's fairly pricy but the apartments are pretty nice. It is also right on the 171 so getting to campus is easy(you can also walk down 55th).

Hey guys, quick question, perhaps especially for current Pritzker students. I was wondering whether anyone had an idea about when financial aid awards will be distributed? I know the website says that they are awarded on a rolling basis, and I was just wondering if anyone who has completed their financial aid application like me (NeedAccess, FAFSA, all that good stuff) has received anything, or has been given a timeline. I could call and bother the financial aid office, but I thought I'd check in with you guys first before I bother them and take up more of their time. Thanks, have a great week!

My roommate and I are planning on living in Shoreland next year. It's fairly pricy but the apartments are pretty nice. It is also right on the 171 so getting to campus is easy(you can also walk down 55th).

I was thinking about moving there next year as well, but studios are so expensive. so nice though

Hey guys, quick question, perhaps especially for current Pritzker students. I was wondering whether anyone had an idea about when financial aid awards will be distributed? I know the website says that they are awarded on a rolling basis, and I was just wondering if anyone who has completed their financial aid application like me (NeedAccess, FAFSA, all that good stuff) has received anything, or has been given a timeline. I could call and bother the financial aid office, but I thought I'd check in with you guys first before I bother them and take up more of their time. Thanks, have a great week!
Did you hear anything yet? I just submitted mine.

Anyone who interviewed in the first week in the first week of January hear anything?

Anyone who interviewed in the first week in the first week of January hear anything?

I did but I'm sure that doesn't mean much! You'll hear back within a month probably!!

Have any continued applicants gotten in? When can we expect to hear back?

At this point they have accepted ~125 students for 88 slots so I feel that the majority of continued applicants who get an offer will be coming after some students start dropping their acceptances.

Just a guess though.

At this point they have accepted ~125 students for 88 slots so I feel that the majority of continued applicants who get an offer will be coming after some students start dropping their acceptances.

Just a guess though.
Out of curiosity, where is that number coming from?

I'm interested too. Also, does that mean that they have pretty much stopped giving out acceptances atm?

Out of curiosity, where is that number coming from?
I'm interested too. Also, does that mean that they have pretty much stopped giving out acceptances atm?
Yea, I am also interested in where that number came from. lol

There are 124 members in the accepted students FB group...of which about 8 are current students or admins. Factoring in those who don't have FBs (I personally know of one) I think 125 is a safe number of acceptances to guess at this point.

However it could be much higher than this...but 125 is a conservative guess.

Not trying to cause panic!

There are 124 members in the accepted students FB group...of which about 8 are current students or admins. Factoring in those who don't have FBs (I personally know of one) I think 125 is a safe number of acceptances to guess at this point.

However it could be much higher than this...but 125 is a conservative guess.

Not trying to cause panic!

I'm guessing there are probably more than 125; Not sure if it's just me, but I was accepted in the last round and haven't been added to the Facebook group yet.

In case anyone missed it, they tweeted this today:

UChicago Pritzker ‏@UCPritzker We are excited to celebrate today the end of our 2013-2014 #medschool interview season! #premed

I'm guessing there are probably more than 125; Not sure if it's just me, but I was accepted in the last round and haven't been added to the Facebook group yet.

Haha see! I agree. 125 was a conservative estimate...it could be more like 140 or 150.

However I will say that each round of acceptances has seemed smaller...usually only 4-6 people added to the FB group at a time. Who knows! They could just all of a sudden accept another dozen students lol only the admins know for sure.

I think there were a lot of people who did not know you could request to join the group and were waiting for an invite from Charles Todd. Big influx of members after the revisit email was sent out (it said to join the facebook group for updates).

Yeah I think you're right...they sent it out to those of us who were accepted in October on November 6th and I can tell you that at that point there were ~60-70 of us who joined in that first week or two that it was created. So in the last 3-4 months only another 50 or 60 have been added...usually in groups of 4-5, but I do think you are right that there was a bigger flux around January 10th when we got the revisit email.

Can you tell I pay a lot of attention to the group? :laugh:

I wanted to offer you some hope just in case the preceding posts stressed you out!

If you go back to last year, it seemed that a small wave of continued applicants were admitted in early May. That's not to say news couldn't come sooner! But mostly I want to point out that "space" will open. Don't lose hope! : )))))