2013-2014 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to say that I can't wait to matriculate! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a huge 2 bedroom apartment just off campus (15 minute walk away, 5 minute bus ride) and I pay around $690 for my half, utilities included. I've been here for the first 2 years, just renewed my lease, and plan to stay for 4th year too. I didn't sign my lease until mid-June. As for parking, I park in the lot for my building, which is $60/month, but that's only because I'm not in an area with permit parking. Most areas are eligible for permit parking (on street), which is $20/year. Your car will most likely sustain some damage parking on the street, so it's safer but obviously more expensive to park in a private lot or garage.

General rule of thumb is the farther from Oakland you are, the cheaper you get (not in quality necessarily, just in price. you pay for convenience of being close to campus). Also more roommates can mean cheaper rent, but I think living with multiple people can get stressful. If you're looking to live in a single bedroom apartment, you're pretty much not going to find any near Oakland for $500-700. They usually end up around $800-1000.

I'd advise against living in South Oakland. It's cheap, so that's appealing, but it's undergrad party central and most of the apartments are falling apart. Lived there over a summer and only paid $250/month, but it was not a good experience!

Keep in mind that you can always move, and quite a lot of people do move after 1st year once they figure out the lay of the land and make friends. Many people live in Darragh for the 1st year and then move out to a cheaper place, or realize they don't like where they live for 1st year and move elsewhere. So if you find yourself paying more than you'd like for a place in 1st year, you can be proactive about figuring out a better place to live for the remainder of med school once you get here and get used to Pittsburgh :)

Thanks! You are always so helpful!

Withdrew my acceptance this morning, best of luck to those of you still waiting! May 15th is almost upon us

Members don't see this ad :)
According to OAFA, it seems that 2nd Tier waitlist movement won't start until mid-June. What a shame...

Umm...does that mean they typically get all the way through the first tier? (Please say yes... :) )

Umm...does that mean they typically get all the way through the first tier? (Please say yes... :) )

This is only the 2nd year of the tiered waitlist, so there's really no history to go on, especially since they overenrolled last year.

Just got off the phone with the OAFA as well - they said there won't be more movement of the FT waitlist until after the 15th, and she isn't sure how much more movement there will be... The good news is that we're still eligible for need based grants so that's something :/ Wish I didn't have to eat a deposit if I end up getting into Pitt but I'll be thrilled if I can even get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted. Anyone else? Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Could someone please send me a link to the Facebook group? I can only find the class of 2016

Congrats to all the newly accepted people!

Reactions: 1 user
I am deciding between UPitt and another school. I really want to match in NYC/Philly area for residency, but the match list doesn't look like it sends that many people in that direction. I know there are strong geographic preferences, but can anyone comment on the chances in matching to NYC/Philly for residency? It is an important part of my decision.

Just to verify, they'll send a packet to my AMCAS address with information on how to accept the spot? Nothing we have to do online?
The acceptance packet is sent to your AMCAS address. To accept, you have to send a $100 check to the Admissions Office by May 26th and fill out a survey + accept on the Pitt secondary portal.

Congratulations!

Anyone else notice that Pitt has fallen 1 spot to 17 for research, and has risen 6 spots to 18 for primary care according to the US News ranking system?

I am deciding between UPitt and another school. I really want to match in NYC/Philly area for residency, but the match list doesn't look like it sends that many people in that direction. I know there are strong geographic preferences, but can anyone comment on the chances in matching to NYC/Philly for residency? It is an important part of my decision.
Have you seen Pitt match lists? Pitt graduates match to top residencies in the Northeast and Midwest; I don't think going to Pitt would be an impediment to matching to NYC/Philly area.

Anyone else notice that Pitt has fallen 1 spot to 17 for research, and has risen 6 spots to 18 for primary care according to the US News ranking system?
Eh, I don't think either of these is a meaningful fluctuation :)

Damn looks like I got duped, maybe the people in OAFA don't really know what's going on.... Congrats to those accepted though!! I'm wondering if I should give up hope myself :/

Just got off the phone with the OAFA as well - they said there won't be more movement of the FT waitlist until after the 15th, and she isn't sure how much more movement there will be... The good news is that we're still eligible for need based grants so that's something :/ Wish I didn't have to eat a deposit if I end up getting into Pitt but I'll be thrilled if I can even get in.

hm i wonder if this means the office thinks there isn't going to be much more movement or if they're just unsure. i wonder what percentage of those interviewed are actually first-tier waitlisted and how many get off it, especially at this point. is the prevailing opinion that people have no idea, since pitt recently changed the waitlist format?

@manofmen no idea... Anyone else here still on the FT Waitlist? I feel like there'd be more movement after the 15th if more people drop, but it's so hard to say.

I am on the 1st tier waitlist and I am committed enough to send a letter of INTENT not interest. Has anyone else done this? Did you send it to the dean/admissions/who???

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks

I am on the 1st tier waitlist and I am committed enough to send a letter of INTENT not interest. Has anyone else done this? Did you send it to the dean/admissions/who???

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks

When I was on the waitlist after the initial January 31st decisions, I sent in a letter to the general admissions e-mail address (as well as my interviewer to ask if he could put in a word). I didn't get a response back, but I'm guessing it worked .... Good luck!

The acceptance packet is sent to your AMCAS address. To accept, you have to send a $100 check to the Admissions Office by May 26th and fill out a survey + accept on the Pitt secondary portal.

Is that the acceptance letter that we got, or another letter coming soon? I gave my letter to my parents once I decided on Pitt, so I don't exactly have it on hand ... I'm just ready to give them my $$ (so they can take more of it).

Is that the acceptance letter that we got, or another letter coming soon? I gave my letter to my parents once I decided on Pitt, so I don't exactly have it on hand ... I'm just ready to give them my $$ (so they can take more of it).
It's in the acceptance letter you received by mail. I haven't seen this information anywhere else (secondary portal, email communication from Pitt...).

I think all the OAFA can do at this point is speculate, because until the end of today, they have no idea how many people are going to withdraw. Maybe they had a bunch withdraw a couple days ago and that's what prompted a few more acceptances, who knows. I don't remember exactly how last year went, but I don't think there was any waitlist movement after April. They're being much more conservative this year, and I would be surprised if there wasn't more movement in a few weeks. Even the next couple of weeks (until the date the deposit is due) could be up in the air as different schools scramble and offer acceptances to people who may be holding at Pitt.

Any other Canadians that have been accepted and that have completed the criminal background check online process? Please PM me.

It was so so so so hard, but I withdrew this morning :( As @trino said about his withdrawal from another school, this feels like a breakup. I fell in love with Pitt, but...
Anyway, this frees up a spot for waitlisted people. I'm rooting for @gorun and @UltimateforFun !
And who knows, Pitt/UPMC, I may see you for residency!

Reactions: 2 users
It was so so so so hard, but I withdrew this morning :( As @trino said about his withdrawal from another school, this feels like a breakup. I fell in love with Pitt, but...
Anyway, this frees up a spot for waitlisted people. I'm rooting for @gorun and @UltimateforFun !
And who knows, Pitt/UPMC, I may see you for residency!
That's so sweet! But OMG I can't believe you withdrew! I thought you and Pitt were going to be together forever! Good luck to you!

I have associated this thread with the name "Amygdarya" for a long time. I hope you're even happier with your final choice as you would have been at Pitt.

Reactions: 4 users
But OMG I can't believe you withdrew! I thought you and Pitt were going to be together forever! Good luck to you!
I can't believe this myself! :D (cue in some buyer's remorse...) Seriously though, this was a really close call and a torture to make a decision about. To all future applicants who will read this thread: Pitt is fantastic and you absolutely should go there! Also, you'll be surprised how nice and liveable the city of Pittsburgh is.
And thank you :)
I hope you're even happier with your final choice as you would have been at Pitt.
Thank you, I hope so, too :)

Hi everyone! I just got accepted off the second tier waitlist, so there is hope for everyone still!!

Reactions: 7 users
Just popping in to say good luck to all those looking to hear back. @UltimateforFun and @Entadus it was a pleasure meeting both of you in person and you're gonna do great no matter where you go!

I GOT IN OFF THE FIRST TIER! After 5 WLs and O acceptances I finally got in! I'm going to be a doctor! @Amygdarya if I knew where to find you, I would send you roses! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 14 users
I GOT IN OFF THE FIRST TIER! After 5 WLs and O acceptances I finally got in! I'm going to be a doctor! @Amygdarya if I knew where to find you, I would send you roses! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome! I'm really happy for you! Congratulations!!!

I also got off the WL last week and have been scrambling to get all the paper work submitted. I was wondering if the financial aid/admissions sends a confirmation e-mail when they get your deposit and finical aid information. I withdrew my spot from another medical school to get to my first choice of Pitt and it would just give me some peace of mind to know that they have all my information and I can start looking for a place in Shadyside! Thanks and Congrats to anyone else who finally got off the first tier:clap:

Where do you accept on the Pitt secondary portal?

Wow really bad at posting to SDN. I meant to ask where to accept on the Pitt secondary portal?

Wow really bad at posting to SDN. I meant to ask where to accept on the Pitt secondary portal?
I don't remember exactly now. You can just log into the portal and check out all the tabs: there is a learning style survey to be filled out under one of the tabs + acceptance and acknowledgement that you meet all the technical standards under a different tab. These two were some of the last tabs, before withdrawal and post-interview survey tabs.

Gotcha. Under the admissions data form tab, there are links for "terms and conditions", "Technical Standards", and "Educational Objectives" that need to be checked off. Have checked them off and submitted. Weird though, that when you do submit, if you log in at a later time, they appear incomplete.

Didn't know if there was something else you were talking about. Pre-med neuroticism rearing its head for a minute.

Gotcha. Under the admissions data form tab, there are links for "terms and conditions", "Technical Standards", and "Educational Objectives" that need to be checked off. Have checked them off and submitted. Weird though, that when you do submit, if you log in at a later time, they appear incomplete.
It seems like this happens to everyone (it happened to me, too). I think @Ismet mentioned before that all the data you entered were received by the school once you submitted it even if it was not reflected in your secondary portal.

Speaking of neuroticism - you have sent your $100 deposit check, haven't you? According to the acceptance letter, it's due by May 26th.

(What am I doing in this thread? :D)