2013-2014 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for current students: what did you guys/gals do during the summer of your first 2 years?

As mentioned above, there is only one summer break build into the curriculum.

Most of my class did research.
Majority of those ^^^ people did research via the DSRP (largely because it is pretty easy to attain as long as the project idea is legitimate).
Others did research via other routes (outside organizations, international, etc).
Some people just worked, others traveled.

I did research at Pitt via an outside program for funding. Extremely worthwhile, both professionally and financially.

If you decide to do research, I can't urge you enough to really take your time when picking a project. Pick a field that interests you -- and then it is all about the mentor.

I had a couple different potential projects/mentors lined up during my early MS1, after meeting each and getting a feel of what each was about and their expectations -- the answer was clear for me.

Outcome: >$3,000 (more than what the DSRP would pay) in compensation + $1,000 stipend to present my research at the upcoming annual conference in said medical specialty. Kicker: the mentor was extremely cool, extremely laidback, and extremely focused. The mentor clearly told me when I started what I needed to do and what the ultimate goal was. I was able to finish my duties in 50 hours. Total. 50 hours. The job is done. The gig is over. The mentor is happy. I am happy. Now I just need to write up an abstract to present for the upcoming expense-paid conference and write up a manuscript for publication. My pro-rated hourly wage between all modes of compensation ended up being over $80 per hour.

What was the alternative?

8 weeks of lab work at 40 hours per week + a school symposium. $3,000 in compensation total. My hourly wage would have been a minimum wage-like $10 per hour.

Due to my hard work upfront during MS1 seeking out opportunities, I ended up:
  • thoroughly enjoying my "final" summer break (as evident from my total hours of work),
  • making a solid hourly income,
  • building my CV with the experience (somewhat competitive program),
  • building my CV with the conference presentation,
  • building my CV with the upcoming publication,
  • getting a free trip to a big city I have never been to before,
  • getting to serve the patient population that interests me most.
  • being able to dedicate a lot of time to ~4 other manuscripts prior to MS2 starting up.
Choose carefully.

EDIT: I have gotten several PM's requesting the specific program's name that I outlined above. Since I think I'm the only person in my class that enrolled in the program -- that would basically destroy any anonymity to my account on here. So, I cannot give specifics; however, relax...you will be presented with a ton of different research opportunities during your first year whether via email solicitations or lunch time talks. The program I did wasn't some hidden gem -- majority of credit is due to my specific mentor...and you need to pick your mentor based on your own personal interests and passions.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've been going through my emails from Pitt and I can't seem to find anything about this, when is the first day we actually have to be there? When is orientation/first day of class?

I've been going through my emails from Pitt and I can't seem to find anything about this, when is the first day we actually have to be there? When is orientation/first day of class?

White Coat is August 10. First day of orientation is August 11. First day of class (Intro to Being a Physician) is August 18. First day of anatomy is August 25.

Class of 2018 daily calendar: http://www.omed.pitt.edu/current-students/documents/CopyofDAILY18_MS1DraftAY14-15.pdf
Class of 2018 exam calendar: http://www.omed.pitt.edu/current-students/documents/MS-1ExamDates2014-2015.pdf

If you're in the FB group and they haven't posted those calendars yet, someone here should post them for the rest of your class ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is anyone still here hoping to get off the waitlist, stay positive! I was just recently accepted off the waitlist (first-tier), but chose to decline due to an acceptance to my in-state school! Best of luck to whoever gets it!

Reactions: 1 users
Question: So I'm Canadian and I'm unfamiliar with getting medical insurance. It's my understanding that the School offers dental ($178.08/year), medical ($4081.32/year) and vision ($76.32/year) which you can opt-out of. Is there any advantage to keeping the School's insurance?

Question: So I'm Canadian and I'm unfamiliar with getting medical insurance. It's my understanding that the School offers dental ($178.08/year), medical ($4081.32/year) and vision ($76.32/year) which you can opt-out of. Is there any advantage to keeping the School's insurance?

It's a Cadillac plan, but if you are healthy and not putting any dependents on the plan -- perhaps a little excessive.

I used the regular school general student plan (ie not med school's plan), still Cadillac, but only ~$2100 per year.

Will be switching to the graduate student plan since I will have dependents and it will be cheaper that way.

If you have plan from your parents, that might save money too.

One way or another, you should end up having health insurance of some sort.

Last edited:
What do you mean by Cadillac plan?

I'm trying to figure out what this plan would cover by looking here http://www.hr.pitt.edu/benefits/student-in . Are medical students considered graduate or undergraduate?

I mean it as "expensive with all bells and whistles". Not 100% accurate definition though, you can read more here if interests you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_insurance_plan

Med students are graduate students for all intents and purposes...however, if you want to get technical, med students could technically be considered as "undergraduates" since med school = "undergraduate medical education" and residency = "graduate medical education".

Here nor there.

You are qualified to sign up for either plan (as it is either "general student" or "graduate student"). One will be cheaper than the other given your personal dependent/family situation.

If you want to pay for your insurance monthly via credit card/bank account/etc you can waive the med school's thing and sign up on MyPitt. If you want to pay for the graduate plan all at once via loans, then med school's might be better.

Last edited:

Quite frankly the school health insurance plan (like most school provided plans) is a complete ripoff for a young healthy individual. You can get drop in urgent care/primary care type visits at student health for free or cheap (already covered in your student fees). For hospital/catastrophic coverage you can get a plan on the obamacare exchanges for ~120-150$/month. That will have higher deductible and out of pocket costs, but unless you are a frequent user of the health care system it will save you money.

If you can stay on your parents plan (as I did until age 26), you will save even more money. I would only opt for the school plan if you have multiple pre-existing conditions that require expensive treatments or have a high rate of hospitalization.