2013-2014 University of Vermont College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck applicants! Any in-state applicants on here for UVMCOM?

Pictures (I saw someone doing this on another thread):

Medical School on the left, hospital on the right:
about.jpg

New Entrance:
timthumb1.jpg

Hospital:
fahc%20exterior.jpg

Last edited:
In-State applicant here! (I understand that there are typically relatively few of us) I've visited the campus several times and I can say firsthand that it is very nice - and I definitely love downtown Burlington. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

about.jpg

New Entrance:
timthumb1.jpg

Hospital:
fahc%20exterior.jpg

Love the pics! CA applicant : )

Applying OOS from MI! The area seems *so* nice though I may be biased because I prefer more quaint areas than huge cities.

about.jpg

New Entrance:
timthumb1.jpg

Hospital:
fahc%20exterior.jpg

^^ Those are gorgeous!!

Hey guys. I'm a second year medical student at UVM COM. Feel free to message me to ask any questions. This process is crazy and I know when I was going through it, I emailed a lot of current students with questions. Good luck to all!

Hey guys. I'm a second year medical student at UVM COM. Feel free to message me to ask any questions. This process is crazy and I know when I was going through it, I emailed a lot of current students with questions. Good luck to all!

:thumbup: I'm pretty sure I'll end up taking you up on that. Thanks!

is there a pre-screen for UVM?

Hi guys,

I mistakenly selected 5 LORs to be sent to U of Vermont do u guys know if there is anyway I can change that? Can we select LORS on the secondary once we get it? Thanks

Scratch that just found out you can specify your LORs on secondary. Hope it helps anyone else that I freaked out.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like for the 2012-2013 application cycle, people started getting the secondary on July 27th. Not sure why it takes so long. Perhaps they do an initial screen? Or they just prefer to enjoy the summer :p

It looks like for the 2012-2013 application cycle, people started getting the secondary on July 27th. Not sure why it takes so long. Perhaps they do an initial screen? Or they just prefer to enjoy the summer :p

if your summer lasted from July 4 to August 1 i bet you'd make the most of it too!

Do people think they'll send secondaries to everyone who's been verified by that point, or go in order of verification and send 'em in batches?

1. Additional information (optional) 1000 characters:

2. DIVERSITY STATEMENT: The University of Vermont College of Medicine values diversity as a driver of excellence. We actively seek diversity and inclusion within our academic community of students, faculty, and staff, as well as those we serve through teaching, research, patient care and community engagement. We are committed to building an educational community made up of members with diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds.

We ask that all applying students consider how they may contribute to this climate. As part of the Supplement Application, students are asked: In reflecting on your personal background, talents, opinions and life experiences, how might you contribute to the overall diversity of the UVM COM community? (Please return to the Supplemental Application form and answer this in the space provided.) 1000 characters:

2. DIVERSITY STATEMENT: The University of Vermont College of Medicine values diversity as a driver of excellence. We actively seek diversity and inclusion within our academic community of students, faculty, and staff, as well as those we serve through teaching, research, patient care and community engagement. We are committed to building an educational community made up of members with diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds.

We ask that all applying students consider how they may contribute to this climate. As part of the Supplement Application, students are asked: In reflecting on your personal background, talents, opinions and life experiences, how might you contribute to the overall diversity of the UVM COM community? (Please return to the Supplemental Application form and answer this in the space provided.) 1000 characters:
Thanks!

Thanks for providing this!!! :) do you know if the 1000 characters includes spaces or not?

So are there two essays, the one on diversity and another optional one?

Yes, one required and one optional one.

Last edited:
Is anyone using the optional essay for "why UVM?"

OOS and got it today. Is anyone else having trouble with the "frequency of experiences" page?

+5

Any other IS people dealing with the residency proof stuff yet?
It seems intense :(

OOS and got it today. Is anyone else having trouble with the "frequency of experiences" page?
What's the "frequency of experiences" page like? I pre-wrote the essays, but is this other part pretty involved?

What's the "frequency of experiences" page like? I pre-wrote the essays, but is this other part pretty involved?

No it does not take long at all. For each activity on your AMCAS, you must select if you did it continuously ("weekly activity throughout"), periodically ("weekly -monthly activity throughout"), summers only/intermittent, or once.

It's not a very helpful section I wouldn't think. In addition to the hours I supplied on my AMCAS, I typically was pretty clear what kind of commitment it involved. On top of that, AMCAS enables you to submit activities for multiple timeframes, and UVM's system only pulls in one of those timeframes, the oldest. So I think you're supposed to answer your frequency based on the specific (often incomplete) timeframe of the activity that UVM shows.

In general, I was very unimpressed by the secondary. It seems low-tech and the character limit is harsh. They want you to describe any criminal offense in 500 characters (good luck with that if you had unfortunate/mitigating circumstances you want to explain). They ask for a diversity essay in 1000 characters; I find it amusing that their prompt and diversity statement for this question is about 800 characters. They require that you select a single reason you applied to their school from a drop down menu (location, reputation, curriculum, or size). You could expand further on your choice in your optional essay, but there is no other request for explanation. It seems simplistic that a prospective student would pick a school for a single factor.

There's also an apparent contradiction online. This page refers to a second essay on the 2014 supplement:
http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/admissions/?Page=suppinstructions.html#additional

I am not seeing "Question 2" anywhere on my supplement, and another area specifically states there is only one required short essay on the 2014 supplement. :confused:

still no secondary.....:scared: anyone else in the same boat????

UVm doesn't screen pre-secondary, so don't worry! From last year's thread, it looks like they sent secondaries out by region.

Same here, but as stated, MSAR says that they offer a secondary to all applicants so I'm staying patient. I finally caught up on secondaries so I'm thinking this might be a nice one to pre-write next since it'll hopefully come through soon, :xf:.

No it does not take long at all. For each activity on your AMCAS, you must select if you did it continuously ("weekly activity throughout"), periodically ("weekly -monthly activity throughout"), summers only/intermittent, or once.

It's not a very helpful section I wouldn't think. In addition to the hours I supplied on my AMCAS, I typically was pretty clear what kind of commitment it involved. On top of that, AMCAS enables you to submit activities for multiple timeframes, and UVM's system only pulls in one of those timeframes, the oldest. So I think you're supposed to answer your frequency based on the specific (often incomplete) timeframe of the activity that UVM shows.

In general, I was very unimpressed by the secondary. It seems low-tech and the character limit is harsh. They want you to describe any criminal offense in 500 characters (good luck with that if you had unfortunate/mitigating circumstances you want to explain). They ask for a diversity essay in 1000 characters; I find it amusing that their prompt and diversity statement for this question is about 800 characters. They require that you select a single reason you applied to their school from a drop down menu (location, reputation, curriculum, or size). You could expand further on your choice in your optional essay, but there is no other request for explanation. It seems simplistic that a prospective student would pick a school for a single factor.

There's also an apparent contradiction online. This page refers to a second essay on the 2014 supplement:
http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/admissions/?Page=suppinstructions.html#additional

I am not seeing "Question 2" anywhere on my supplement, and another area specifically states there is only one required short essay on the 2014 supplement. :confused:

Where did you find this link? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the main website. I'm a current student here and it seems like they've changed the secondaries a bit. When I applied, we didn't have any required essays, only the optional one.

That being said, secondaries in and of themselves are difficult, with or without a character limit. If you are unimpressed with the secondary, there is no need to apply to this school. If you want to go to UVM, then you would make the effort to apply and be positive about it. Medical school secondaries aren't made to be easy, but rather to be challenging. I say this with all sincerity -- I don't mean to be rude or mean. I think one of the things I find in many medical students is we are always overly critical of everything. You are entering into a field that is constantly changing and you are going to see many things that you don't like. In my opinion, the best attitude to approach medical school is one that is critical, yet, accepting of challenges that may come. You must be able to adapt to any environment you are placed into as a medical student.

That being said, if you feel the character limit is too limiting and insufficient for you to write what you want, you can always submit additional letters and talk about your personal situation. UVM actually likes to hear from its applicants who are interested in attending.

Is anybody complete here? All I see is a brief message on the first page...

Still have not gotten this secondary.