2013-2014 University of Virginia School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 essays, 350 words or less:
Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this?

(MSTP Only) What areas of biomedical research and clinical specialty interest you the most? Why?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Mostly marking for subscription reasons.

I'm a 4th year student. I was part of the first class in the NexGen (systems-based) curriculum. I've hosted students. I have some limited insight into UVA's admissions process. I'm an OOS student. I'm available to answer any questions you have.

I'm a 4th year student. I was part of the first class in the NexGen (systems-based) curriculum. I've hosted students. I have some limited insight into UVA's admissions process. I'm an OOS student. I'm available to answer any questions you have.

mvenus - I have a few questions for you...

What did you really like about the school or curriculum?

What specifically makes this school special or unique?

What made you choose this school over others? Like the med schools in your state of residency?

I am trying to get a feel for what makes med schools unique. I would love to go anywhere that has a program and will accept me, but that's not what schools want to hear! :laugh:

I will be an OOS. My stats are: cGPA - 3.9; sGPA - 3.9; MCAT - 33P; PS - 11; VR - 12; BS - 10

Members don't see this ad :)
1) What did you really like about the school or curriculum?

2) What specifically makes this school special or unique?

3) What made you choose this school over others? Like the med schools in your state of residency?

1) Personally, I love the fact that the pre-clerkship curriculum is only 18 months. I means that I've now been a fourth year for about 3 months, compared to many schools where students are just now starting to end third year. I've already got most of my stuff lined up for residency applications because of it, and I get more time to do what I want.

2) I'm not sure it makes the school unique, exactly, but the highlight of the school is the pre-clerkship curriculum, and how it focuses on small group learning, rather than traditional lectures. A lot of schools are moving to this model, but there's still a lot out there that have the traditional lecture-based curriculum. Basically, this means that when you go to class, you often aren't being lectured at, but are expected to have read the material the night before and have a basic understanding, and then apply the information to cases in class. But, that also means that there are a lot of required classes, which a lot of people don't like.

3) Honestly, I didn't go to my state school because my state school did not accept me. But I chose UVA over my other choices because of the shortened pre-clerkship curriculum, as well as the reputation UVA has. A lot of our students go on to great residency programs, and there's a very wide network of UVA alum that loves to keep in touch with current students. I also loved the atmosphere... the other school I was accepted to had the feel of a school where students attended class 8 hours a day, and then went home and studied another 6. At UVA, there are only 4 hours of class per day (8 one day a week, but those other 4 hours are workshops and interviewing and whatnot), and people study another 4ish hours at home, leaving them ample time to pursue other things. We have a medical football league, a basketball league, and many teams on the intramural sports. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer in the community, and overall, it's just a nicer environment with people who like each other and want each other to succeed. It really is a vibe thing you get on interview day--not to mention, the interview lunch is amazing. Probably one of the best you'll get.

I will be an OOS. My stats are: cGPA - 3.9; sGPA - 3.9; MCAT - 33P; PS - 11; VR - 12; BS - 10

Your stats certainly won't keep you out. Best of luck!

What ties did you have to UVA? I too am OOS from TN?

Thanks a ton for that information! It set me on the right track on what to be looking on the school's website. I appreciate the promptness and depth/insight you have into the school!

IS student applying here! (Top choice.)

Good luck everyone! :D

I'll be attending UVA MED as an M1 in August. Let me know if you have any questions about the application cycle and good luck!

I'm IS, but otherwise my stats match yours. :)

What ties did you have to UVA? I too am OOS from TN?
I know at least two of my classmates are from TN, one from Vanderbilt and another from a tech school.

OOS: 3.67, 3.51, 29S, honors thesis

anything?

Secondary! I'm at work so I can't access it but I just got the email

Anyone know the official abbreviation? UVASM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received secondary. 4 essays, 350 words or less:

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this?

(MSTP Only) What areas of biomedical research and clinical specialty interest you the most? Why?

Good luck everyone.:)

Stuck in traffic in Brooklyn. Someone please send a helicopter to airlift me to a computer please? lol

Can any current students comment on the curriculum here??

For the question that asks about a personal challenge as a physician, did most people just talk about one potential challenge? Or can you actually talk about a couple? I feel like I can't really write 350 words on just one challenge...

I wrote about 200 words on one challenge.. quality over quantity, don't write more just to fill space

I believe the 350 word limit is there for those who need it. I don't think anyone should feel pressure to use the entire amount if they've said what they need to say in far fewer words.

1) Personally, I love the fact that the pre-clerkship curriculum is only 18 months. I means that I've now been a fourth year for about 3 months, compared to many schools where students are just now starting to end third year. I've already got most of my stuff lined up for residency applications because of it, and I get more time to do what I want.

2) I'm not sure it makes the school unique, exactly, but the highlight of the school is the pre-clerkship curriculum, and how it focuses on small group learning, rather than traditional lectures. A lot of schools are moving to this model, but there's still a lot out there that have the traditional lecture-based curriculum. Basically, this means that when you go to class, you often aren't being lectured at, but are expected to have read the material the night before and have a basic understanding, and then apply the information to cases in class. But, that also means that there are a lot of required classes, which a lot of people don't like.

3) Honestly, I didn't go to my state school because my state school did not accept me. But I chose UVA over my other choices because of the shortened pre-clerkship curriculum, as well as the reputation UVA has. A lot of our students go on to great residency programs, and there's a very wide network of UVA alum that loves to keep in touch with current students. I also loved the atmosphere... the other school I was accepted to had the feel of a school where students attended class 8 hours a day, and then went home and studied another 6. At UVA, there are only 4 hours of class per day (8 one day a week, but those other 4 hours are workshops and interviewing and whatnot), and people study another 4ish hours at home, leaving them ample time to pursue other things. We have a medical football league, a basketball league, and many teams on the intramural sports. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer in the community, and overall, it's just a nicer environment with people who like each other and want each other to succeed. It really is a vibe thing you get on interview day--not to mention, the interview lunch is amazing. Probably one of the best you'll get!

Did you want to know something else?

Last edited:
No problem. Sorry it took so long to reply... I've been working at camp and the Internet access isn't the best. Especially since I didn't bring my computer.

No worries! I do have one more question though. How would you describe Charlottesville? Do you like the community? What types of things are there to do there?

No worries! I do have one more question though. How would you describe Charlottesville? Do you like the community? What types of things are there to do there?

Charlottesville is a college town, and encompasses all that that implies. There is quite a bit to do... Dozens of restaurants to check out, lots of nearby hiking trails, lots of concerts to go to. There is a farmers market on Saturday mornings most of the year. There are several gyms to go to, a new movie theater... Shopping isn't the best, but DC is 3ish hours away and Short Pump is about an hour.

And, of course, there's a nice selection of bars. Lots of wineries too and a couple microbreweries if you're in the mood for a more sedate experience.

I like Charlottesville, but it's not the type of place I want to stay for residency. Maybe one I have a family, I'd move back, but beyond the college environment and raising a family, it's not such a good place for young professionals.

I was wondering how many students at UVA have prior military experience, and if that is a fairly important factor for the admissions committee at the school. I noticed that it was its own section on the secondary, and so I'm guessing they're at least fairly military friendly. Btw I am prior military :)

I was wondering how many students at UVA have prior military experience, and if that is a fairly important factor for the admissions committee at the school. I noticed that it was its own section on the secondary, and so I'm guessing they're at least fairly military friendly. Btw I am prior military :)

Thank you for serving!

Prior military experience? Relatively few, though I'm not sure how much is common among medical schools. Off the top of my head... there are two people in my class who were graduates from the Air Force Academy, and I know of one, possibly two, women in the class below me that were in the military prior to med school. Obviously, there could be more, because I don't know everyone and not everyone is completely open book about past experiences... I don't know how much of a factor it plays into admissions. I know at least one person on the admissions committee last year was prior military, though I'm not sure if he's continuing this year or not.

However, we do have a ton of people (or so it seems) going into the military. We probably have 15+ in my class doing HPSP or some variation thereof.

Prior military experience? Relatively few, though I'm not sure how much is common among medical schools. Off the top of my head... there are two people in my class who were graduates from the Air Force Academy, and I know of one, possibly two, women in the class below me that were in the military prior to med school. Obviously, there could be more, because I don't know everyone and not everyone is completely open book about past experiences... I don't know how much of a factor it plays into admissions. I know at least one person on the admissions committee last year was prior military, though I'm not sure if he's continuing this year or not.

However, we do have a ton of people (or so it seems) going into the military. We probably have 15+ in my class doing HPSP or some variation thereof.

Awesome thanks for the insight. I was just curious if it was still going to be something unique going for me or not, and it sounds like it's still not terribly common there. Thanks!

Anyone know anything particularly unique about UVA? I like the small-group learning aspect, the 18-month pre-clinical, the facilities, and the global health initiative, but I'm having trouble finding anything else to write about for the first essay.

Anyone know anything particularly unique about UVA? I like the small-group learning aspect, the 18-month pre-clinical, the facilities, and the global health initiative, but I'm having trouble finding anything else to write about for the first essay.

That seems like plenty to me. Just showcase really well how those particular aspects really fit your personality and interests

Could talk about the interesting patient population because Charlottesville (for whatever reason) has a large number of international refugees, and is one of the main tertiary care centers for rural VA and WV. Also, they have a super nice sim center that is used heavily by the medical students. Flexibility of the grading/testing structure let's you have more time for other activities, and the weather is great!

Could talk about the interesting patient population because Charlottesville (for whatever reason) has a large number of international refugees, and is one of the main tertiary care centers for rural VA and WV.

That would be because we're an International Rescue Committee relocation site for refugees. We're also required by the legislature to provide care to SW Virginia, so we serve a large indigent population.

is anyone complete yet? i submitted almost 2 weeks ago and those red exclamation points for my letters haven't turned green...

is anyone complete yet? i submitted almost 2 weeks ago and those red exclamation points for my letters haven't turned green...

Submitted my application almost two weeks ago and got a confirmation email saying I was complete pretty much right away. All my letters are green.

Submitted my application almost two weeks ago and got a confirmation email saying I was complete pretty much right away. All my letters are green.
awesome, thanks for that. are you applying MSTP by any chance? they wrote in an email for MSTP applicants not to worry about incomplete statuses, so i'm not sure if i should be concerned or not.

Quick question, is it okay to use the abbreviation UVa? Or is it UVA or do I have to spell it out everytime? Thanks guys and gals! :)

Quick question, is it okay to use the abbreviation UVa? Or is it UVA or do I have to spell it out everytime? Thanks guys and gals! :)

Not sure, but I always go on the safe side and spell it out.

I don't think anyone will care. I just used UVA. :)

The formal abbreviation (if there even is one...) is U.Va. but I'm sure it doesn't matter!

Interview Invite this morning! Didn't think I would be fortunate enough to get one as an International. :love:

Interview Invite as well!!! Very very excited for this.