2013 Applications and Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephNeves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I'm a bit overzealous about applying this year, since I began the process a bit too late last year and decided to hold off. I'm applying to mainly PhD programs, with a few PsyDs as well. How early should I submit my applications? I know the deadlines are December/January, but does it make a difference if your application is received early (similar to applying to MD/DOs where there is an advantage of an early application). Is September/October too early? Would schools even know what mentors are accepting students that early? Let me know, I'm quiet curious to find out what the answer is!

Stephanie

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks!

I'm a bit overzealous about applying this year, since I began the process a bit too late last year and decided to hold off. I'm applying to mainly PhD programs, with a few PsyDs as well. How early should I submit my applications? I know the deadlines are December/January, but does it make a difference if your application is received early (similar to applying to MD/DOs where there is an advantage of an early application). Is September/October too early? Would schools even know what mentors are accepting students that early? Let me know, I'm quiet curious to find out what the answer is!

Stephanie

That's probably going to be the most important question, and will vary from program to program. If a particular advisors knows for sure that he/she will be taking students, then applying in October probably wouldn't be too early. I don't know that there's any actual advantage to doing so, though; but again, this will vary significantly from advisor to advisor. Some labs/programs review applications on a rolling basis, while others (such as mine) wait to begin reviewing until the deadline has passed.

Hey folks!

Stephanie

The timing of when your application is received shouldn't impact your consideration since there are no rolling acceptance/interviews at most places. However, I would be wary about starting applications too early. Many schools update their applications yearly and I have found that these usually aren't posted until sometime in October. Last year I had nearly completed one and on Oct 22 a new online system came out and I had to go through the whole process again.
That being said, I would encourage to start sending your transcripts and GREs around this time. I applied twice and each year I had major transcript issues whether it be from my school or the school I was applying to. Since fixing these errors can take a lot of time and money, having the cushion is nice.
As for e-mailing professors directly, I have tended to do this a bit early. I started sending out e-mails in early July. I always got better responses during the summer, even if they didn't know if they were accepting yet. I think it got me in before their deluge of inquiries and gave them more time to actually look at my CV. Plus, if they didn't know yet about accepting a student, it was a great excuse to email them again and keep me on their radar.
If I were you and eager to get going, I would suggest focusing on your statement and getting this perfect. It is one of the most time intensive application tasks anyway. My biggest suggestion: GO TO A CONFERENCE. I cannot stress enough how important this was for me. Look at the CV of your top POIs and see which conferences they tend to go to (APA, ABCT, etc) and go. If you have a poster, let your POIs know. Between the two cycles I applied, I was able to met at least six of my POIs. I was offered an interview with every one of them.
Sorry this was long winded. Hope it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey EverHopeful,

Your suggestion is really awesome!! I have a question for you (or other experienced students) on meeting professors at conferences. I actually am presenting at one of the biggest sleep conferences in the world this June. Anyone who's anybody in sleep will be there, including my POIs. The question is, should I contact the professors whom I'm interested in working with before going to the conference, or should I try to hunt them down during the conference? I would think that emailing before hand would be better because they'll get a chance to see my CV, but at the same time I'm afraid that now is way to early to contact them...so, I would be greatly appreciated if you could give me some recommendations!! Thanks a lot!!

Hey EverHopeful,

Your suggestion is really awesome!! I have a question for you (or other experienced students) on meeting professors at conferences. I actually am presenting at one of the biggest sleep conferences in the world this June. Anyone who's anybody in sleep will be there, including my POIs. The question is, should I contact the professors whom I'm interested in working with before going to the conference, or should I try to hunt them down during the conference? I would think that emailing before hand would be better because they'll get a chance to see my CV, but at the same time I'm afraid that now is way to early to contact them...so, I would be greatly appreciated if you could give me some recommendations!! Thanks a lot!!

Congrats on your poster! It is a bit early, but if I was in your shoes, I would take advantage of the opportunity and e-mail. I would frame it as checking on whether they are accepting students (so you aren't being pushy) but mention that you are presenting a poster that is representative of your research and would love for them to stop by if they are available. If it is one of your top choices, you could even ask about potentially meeting briefly with themselves or a grad student to learn more about the lab. They could easily say no, but at the very least you get in that you have a poster and show your interest.
Also, while you are there, keep an eye on name tags and don't be shy about a quickly and unobtrusively introducing yourself after a talk or if they are browsing posters (Hi, I'm X. I am applying to your lab this year and wanted to get a chance to introduce myself and tell you how excited I am about your current research).

Thank you so much EverHopeful! You've given me superb suggestions! Actually, all of my POIs from different universities are going to be there...so, I've got a lot of work to do!

The timing of when your application is received shouldn't impact your consideration since there are no rolling acceptance/interviews at most places. However, I would be wary about starting applications too early. Many schools update their applications yearly and I have found that these usually aren't posted until sometime in October. Last year I had nearly completed one and on Oct 22 a new online system came out and I had to go through the whole process again.
That being said, I would encourage to start sending your transcripts and GREs around this time. I applied twice and each year I had major transcript issues whether it be from my school or the school I was applying to. Since fixing these errors can take a lot of time and money, having the cushion is nice.
As for e-mailing professors directly, I have tended to do this a bit early. I started sending out e-mails in early July. I always got better responses during the summer, even if they didn't know if they were accepting yet. I think it got me in before their deluge of inquiries and gave them more time to actually look at my CV. Plus, if they didn't know yet about accepting a student, it was a great excuse to email them again and keep me on their radar.
If I were you and eager to get going, I would suggest focusing on your statement and getting this perfect. It is one of the most time intensive application tasks anyway. My biggest suggestion: GO TO A CONFERENCE. I cannot stress enough how important this was for me. Look at the CV of your top POIs and see which conferences they tend to go to (APA, ABCT, etc) and go. If you have a poster, let your POIs know. Between the two cycles I applied, I was able to met at least six of my POIs. I was offered an interview with every one of them.
Sorry this was long winded. Hope it helps!

Thanks so much! I will be attending two conferences this month and next (three posters, woot woot!) and all the big names in autism will be there. Time to get my stalking on haha.

Thank you so much for your post!

I applied three years and each year I submitted my apps very close to the deadline, if not the day of. Who cares as long as it's on time!

Thank you so much EverHopeful! You've given me superb suggestions! Actually, all of my POIs from different universities are going to be there...so, I've got a lot of work to do!

Thanks so much! I will be attending two conferences this month and next (three posters, woot woot!) and all the big names in autism will be there. Time to get my stalking on haha.

Thank you so much for your post!

Congrats to both of you on your posters and good luck!