2013 cycle applicants, where are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nevrgiveup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I would like to start off by congratulating everyone who got in this cycle and GOODLUCK to those who are still waiting

I will be applying to the 2013 cycle and hopefully in exactly 2 years I can be looking at an acceptance :xf::luck: . But compared to the numerous amount of people who were applying the previous years on this forum compared to what I see now, it seems as if there are very little people who are applying to the 2013 cycle. Even at my big school (University of California Irvine), i have only met a handful of people I met at a dental club who are applying during my cycle. Do you think there are just less applicants for the 2013 cycle? Or is it still too early to tell..or is there actually a huge amount of applicants and I'm just crazy to not notice lol.

Anyone here applying for the 2013 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Its way too early. Acceptances for fall 2011 barely went out. Come back in like a year or so.

The number of applicants have been increase for years. Its unlikely to see a huge decline or anything like that anytime soon. Maybe plateau for a year or two.

Haha, wow, you're making me feel old already, I'm class of 2013. I'm a past anteater myself - UCI is a great school for pre-dental, especially if you can get a research position with Dr. Wilder-Smith (DDS) over at the Beckman Laser Institute over by the med school, she's really great, and she only takes pre-dents.

A lot of people don't know they want to do dental for sure until later, maybe during the junior year or so. Be sure to be an active part of ASDA at UCI, I used to be an officer in fact, and it's a great club.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying in two years. I'm a 29 year old non-trad, having already graduated with my BA in 2004. I started with chem this past spring, and will have chem, bio and physics out of the way by the end of this school year. Next year will be orgo, micro, a&p, and maybe some other upper division bio class or biochem.

Hey guys, I would like to start off by congratulating everyone who got in this cycle and GOODLUCK to those who are still waiting

I will be applying to the 2013 cycle and hopefully in exactly 2 years I can be looking at an acceptance :xf::luck: . But compared to the numerous amount of people who were applying the previous years on this forum compared to what I see now, it seems as if there are very little people who are applying to the 2013 cycle. Even at my big school (University of California Irvine), i have only met a handful of people I met at a dental club who are applying during my cycle. Do you think there are just less applicants for the 2013 cycle? Or is it still too early to tell..or is there actually a huge amount of applicants and I'm just crazy to not notice lol.

Anyone here applying for the 2013 cycle?

Umm. a little too early, don't you think? lol :smuggrin:

But really, pre-dents are not very common in many colleges. Most healthcare students in the schools I've attended so far have been either nursing (and now the new trend is PA) and MANY pre-meds. For example, my 400 level physiology course right now, there are about 25 of us, 3 of them are biology master students, 2 of us are pre-dents, 10 are PA/nursing and the other 10 are pre-meds lol

But, trust me, the number of applicants applying each year is increasing... its increasing much faster than the number of available seats are increasing. I think, as recent as 2006 (or 2007) there were about 9000 people applying to about 4300 seats (don't have exact numbers - sorry)..... But today, about 12,000-12,500 people are applying to 4500 seats.....

My guess is that...by 2013, it will either be a little higher than 12,500.

Its definately true what dentalworks is saying, majority of science students are all applying to medical, pharmacy, etc schools. Like, I've only met 2 people in my school that want to be dentists (one of them is already got into dental school, after 2nd yeart of University :eek:, she was very smart...)

So, just to confirm, there are approx 12, 500 applicants and 4, 000 seats, so basically we have 1/3 chance of getting in right??? That seems pretty fair for a professional school...

I know everyone's saying it's too early to comment about this, but doesn't the whole preparation process require a load of advanced planning anyway? And yes, I'm hoping to apply for the 2013 cycle.

I know everyone's saying it's too early to comment about this, but doesn't the whole preparation process require a load of advanced planning anyway? And yes, I'm hoping to apply for the 2013 cycle.

Not really. In terms of classes to take that is just a part of going to school.

the only thing that might require some planning is shadowing and that isn't much work other than to find a dentist that will let you shadow them.

I guess you could get a head start on familiarizing yourself with the PAT portion of the DAT as its not something you would naturally learn as part of getting prereqs done like the other sections.

It's odd you should mention this. At my school I have only meet a few predents. MANY more premeds and prepharm people. In fact at a prehealth meeting there were only a couple predents while 20+ premeds and around 15 prepharm students.... one PT.