1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2013 Ranking of DS Based on GPA/DAT/Other

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doc toothache, Apr 8, 2014.

1. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    This information might be useful in deciding on a list of possible ds to seek out, but it is not a substitute for the information available from the 2014 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    odpropofol, Rshl, toothshine and 6 others like this.
  2. DogeDDS

DogeDDS Wow
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ahh awesome!!! Thanks doc!

3. Jungerr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yikes, mean of 3.5 GPA and 19.7 AA for those enrolled. Getting harder each year.

4. distressstudent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Actually compared to 2012, the DAT scores actually went DOWN (just by a little). The oGPA was 3.55 and sGPA was 3.47 as well. The number of applicants went up only 90 while enrollment went up 400.
    Sources: ADEA 2013 (2012 applicant) and THIS document ( meaning I havent seen the ADEA 2014 yet but I assume doc's averages are correct).

Thanks for all the information, doc!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 distressstudent, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. WIinNC

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Bump

6. fayevalentine

fayevalentine See you space cowboy.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you very much for posting this!

7. kingenamel

5+ Year Member

8. Cello

Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Nice to see that as I suspected, my state school (Utah) is nearly as difficult to get into as Harvard... Sigh.

9. distressstudent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Are you referring to Roseman or the utah public university? Rose actually have much lower averages compared to havard aside from PAT

edit: this is weird. I see that there's a university of utah dental school on google. but it doesn't appear in the ADEA handbook...why?

#9 distressstudent, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  10. Dentalguy8621

Pre-Dental
    This is great! Thank you.

11. letleaderse

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Yikes, mean of 3.5 GPA and 19.7 AA for those enrolled. Getting harder each year.[​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you check again, you will find that the ADEA did not lose a school.

13. Cello

Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The University of Utah. I know that it's due in large part to the fact that there are only 20 seats available.

14. JAWSSS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yeah, more than a "large part" it is probably the only reason.

At my interview they said that they realized that they would be becoming less selective in the next few years because they will need to accept more students. I would imagine that they will be the middle of the pack,when they have a normal class size and they can't buffer everything with die hard Utah people that will stay in Utah at all costs. (Which is what the class is mostly filled with now, and the reason I chose to withdraw my application post-interview). I knew a guy that turned down a huge scholarship at a Texas school for Utah just because him and his wife wanted to stay in Utah. (He would have only needed to pay for housing for four years in Texas... but he turned it down. I personally think it was the worst decision of his professional life).

Once they have a bigger class size, they will not be able to find enough people with those stats that will wont to go there over Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCSF, UOP, and others.

So, keep your hopes up! You should be fine if you are applying in the next couple years.

15. distressstudent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    oh okay. sorry for the blunder. I checked the list more than once and I still missed it for some reason. Yikes!

16. Demilaax

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Can you provide average age, sex & race ratio... etc. Stuff normal people don't consider.

17. b-rad12

Pre-Dental
    All 3 of the Texas schools give a lot of preference to in state applicants yet give out a lot of interviews to oos applicants.

18. Weakfart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They just want our money. But I'd love to go to one of those Texas schools....