2013 Ranking of DS Based on GPA/DAT/Other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This information might be useful in deciding on a list of possible ds to seek out, but it is not a substitute for the information available from the 2014 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2013 Ranking of DS Based on GPA-DAT-Other 4-8-14.xls
    64 KB · Views: 3,974
Reactions: 8 users
Yikes, mean of 3.5 GPA and 19.7 AA for those enrolled. Getting harder each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually compared to 2012, the DAT scores actually went DOWN (just by a little). The oGPA was 3.55 and sGPA was 3.47 as well. The number of applicants went up only 90 while enrollment went up 400.
Sources: ADEA 2013 (2012 applicant) and THIS document ( meaning I havent seen the ADEA 2014 yet but I assume doc's averages are correct).

Thanks for all the information, doc!

Last edited:
Nice to see that as I suspected, my state school (Utah) is nearly as difficult to get into as Harvard... Sigh.

Are you referring to Roseman or the utah public university? Rose actually have much lower averages compared to havard aside from PAT

edit: this is weird. I see that there's a university of utah dental school on google. but it doesn't appear in the ADEA handbook...why?

Last edited:
This information might be useful in deciding on a list of possible ds to seek out, but it is not a substitute for the information available from the 2014 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

This is great! Thank you.

Yikes, mean of 3.5 GPA and 19.7 AA for those enrolled. Getting harder each year.
QwqhZC

Are you referring to Roseman or the utah public university? Rose actually have much lower averages compared to havard aside from PAT

edit: this is weird. I see that there's a university of utah dental school on google. but it doesn't appear in the ADEA handbook...why?
If you check again, you will find that the ADEA did not lose a school.

The University of Utah. I know that it's due in large part to the fact that there are only 20 seats available.

The University of Utah. I know that it's due in large part to the fact that there are only 20 seats available.

Yeah, more than a "large part" it is probably the only reason.

At my interview they said that they realized that they would be becoming less selective in the next few years because they will need to accept more students. I would imagine that they will be the middle of the pack,when they have a normal class size and they can't buffer everything with die hard Utah people that will stay in Utah at all costs. (Which is what the class is mostly filled with now, and the reason I chose to withdraw my application post-interview). I knew a guy that turned down a huge scholarship at a Texas school for Utah just because him and his wife wanted to stay in Utah. (He would have only needed to pay for housing for four years in Texas... but he turned it down. I personally think it was the worst decision of his professional life).

Once they have a bigger class size, they will not be able to find enough people with those stats that will wont to go there over Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCSF, UOP, and others.

So, keep your hopes up! You should be fine if you are applying in the next couple years.

oh okay. sorry for the blunder. I checked the list more than once and I still missed it for some reason. Yikes!

Can you provide average age, sex & race ratio... etc. Stuff normal people don't consider.

All 3 of the Texas schools give a lot of preference to in state applicants yet give out a lot of interviews to oos applicants.

All 3 of the Texas schools give a lot of preference to in state applicants yet give out a lot of interviews to oos applicants.
They just want our money. But I'd love to go to one of those Texas schools....