2013 UM vs UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

accmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I feel so fortunate to have been accepted to two schools that I absolutely loved--the University of Miami and the University of Florida. But Im really struggling to decide which one I want to attend. If anybody could weigh in and give their opinion/perspective, Id really appreciate it! Here is how I feel about both programs

UM: Received a $15,000/yr merit scholarship, which helps to offset the difference in cost of living between Miami and Gainesville. Didnt exactly fall in love with the school during my interview, but I still really enjoyed it. Miami is definitely closer to home (huge plus), and I like the idea of living in a city environment and being close to the beach. My brother is a UM undergrad, and we would live together my first year, which I think would be great.

UF: I LOVED UFCOM when I interviewed there, and I love how friendly, outgoing, and supportive the faculty seemed. I feel like everyone at UF genuinely cared about us--a vibe I didnt necessarily get from Miami. Being a UF undergrad, I have a lot of friends that are either MS1s or will be matriculating this year. But I feel that Gainesville just didnt do it for me these last 4 years, and I think I really need a change.

As you can see, each school has its pros and cons. What do you all think? Thanks SO MUCH!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both as well. Dude idk about you...but driving through FIELDS to get to UF sort of turned me off from it. The entire economy of Gainesville is the university, otherwise there is nothing there. Noooothiiiing. Idk how one could spend four years in that. Miami, on the other hand is awesome. And going to medical school there, you will see some ****. I definitely say Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
UF: I LOVED UFCOM when I interviewed there, and I love how friendly, outgoing, and supportive the faculty seemed. I feel like everyone at UF genuinely cared about us

I didn't interview at Miami, but I got the same sense when I was at UF. I wasn't there for undergrad so I didn't really know what to expect, but Dean Lynch really convinced me about his vision for the school and its educational philosophy. From a clinical education standpoint, Shands is also still one of the best overall hospitals in Florida, far and above the hospitals in Miami (unless if you're set on ophthalmology).

I've always known (even before the cycle started) that I would prefer UF to UM. But if you're ready for a change, Gainesville will probably never provide the city life you crave. I still think UF is the better school, but for purely location reasons, I wouldn't blame you if you took your talents to South Beach, so to speak. :p

Not sure about this, but isn't UMiami losing funding? I read about this somewhere a while ago but can't remember why or to what extent this affects Miller.

Also, hopefully your brother isn't a party animal lol.

Hey, I interviewed at both schools and had to ask myself the same questions. I am the world's biggest Gator fan (Gators win it all in my bracket!), so going in I was thinking UF. For me, I think two things stood out for Miami that make the difference. The first is that their hospital system is really incredible, and you will receive a first rate clinical education there. The diversity of patients and pathologies will give you exposure to a lot of cool cases. Additionally because they are understaffed at Jackson, you will get a more hands on experience. UF has really good hospitals too, but I got the feel they were smaller and didn't like that you had to go to Jax to get some of the ER experience.

The 2nd factor is Miami itself. It totally depends on the person but I felt that being closer to a bigger city/ cultural center was a big plus. Miami is in my opinion one of the coolest cities in the US and you can always find a show or concert there.

I personally chose not to go back to my undergrad because I felt like it would be weird being in all the same places as college but not actually being a part of the awesome undergrad experiences I remembered.

To balance out my bias though, it did stand out to me that UF students at the interview unequivocally stated UF was the best med school in Florida while nobody at Miami made that claim. Made me wonder if UF had the stronger reputation regionally. Also UF seems to have a stronger and more established research program, so if you are interested in academic medicine this could be key.

Of all the interviews I went to, Miami was probably the one where I thought students seemed the happiest, so I think we had different impressions on that. One final consideration might be: what do you think about Miami's new curriculum? Being the guinea pig for the change could be a negative, but the new approach seems pretty cool.

Overall I don't think you can really go wrong- either way all the doors are open to you. Congratulations on your success this cycle and I hope this helps!

I interviewed at both as well. Dude idk about you...but driving through FIELDS to get to UF sort of turned me off from it. The entire economy of Gainesville is the university, otherwise there is nothing there. Noooothiiiing. Idk how one could spend four years in that. Miami, on the other hand is awesome. And going to medical school there, you will see some ****. I definitely say Miami.
Definitely agree with this, and Im totally leaning towards Miami for this reason. I just want to make sure that choosing based on location (at least for these 2 schools) wont hurt me in the long run

I didn't interview at Miami, but I got the same sense when I was at UF. I wasn't there for undergrad so I didn't really know what to expect, but Dean Lynch really convinced me about his vision for the school and its educational philosophy. From a clinical education standpoint, Shands is also still one of the best overall hospitals in Florida, far and above the hospitals in Miami (unless if you're set on ophthalmology).

I've always known (even before the cycle started) that I would prefer UF to UM. But if you're ready for a change, Gainesville will probably never provide the city life you crave. I still think UF is the better school, but for purely location reasons, I wouldn't blame you if you took your talents to South Beach, so to speak. :p
Idk about Shands being "far and above" UMH and Jackson? Can anyone else comment on this...?

Not sure about this, but isn't UMiami losing funding? I read about this somewhere a while ago but can't remember why or to what extent this affects Miller.

Also, hopefully your brother isn't a party animal lol.
He'll be a senior applying to medical school, so I think we'll be on the same page haha

Idk about Shands being "far and above" UMH and Jackson? Can anyone else comment on this...?

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/fl

I know rankings aren't the definitive answer and such, but after the top 3 hospitals in FL (Tampa General, Florida Hospital, Shands), it's a pretty significant gap in number of nationally ranked specialties. That said, there's an argument to be made about how much you'll actually get to see as a med student, so some might say being near a "better" hospital doesn't matter as much.

I went to UF undergrad and interviewed at both schools as well. I would probably say UF is the best med school in Florida (and we all know why), but UM would be a close second. UM doesn't use standardize patients because you can just walk over to Jackson ED and practice, which I thought was cool. The clinical experience is probably better than UF in terms of volume and diversity. Also, have you seen UM's match list? It's pretty good.

I can confidently say that regardless of which school you decide to attend, it will not affect your residency placement. So just attend whichever school you want to attend, even if location plays a good role in your final decision.

Also went to UF undergrad and interviewed at both schools. If I was making my decision strictly on the merits of the school, I'd probably choose UF. I loved the vibe there with the small class size and the warmth of the faculty/admissions department. However, I think having to do rotations in Jacksonville is a little annoying and I think Jackson would give you some unique clinical experiences. I will probably choose UM mostly because I don't know about living in Gainesville another 4 years and I have my family in South FL too. I think the differences between them (especially since you're getting a great scholarship) are minor. You can great residencies at both places. So I would choose based on where you'll have the best lifestyle to make the med school process as painless as possible.

In Florida you can not go wrong with UF, USF, and UM. All three have very established, proven programs. Go to the cheapest school you feel the most comfortable attending (consider: City, faculty and students).

Tough decision, but remember you can't go wrong! :thumbup:

Thanks for all the responses everyone! From what Ive read here, it seems that the opportunities at both schools/hospitals are similar enough that I can base my decision on other factors. I will definitely be at both second looks (hopefully meeting most of you--look for the tiny girl in the 5 inch pumps haha) and hope to come away from them with a better idea of what school to choose.

Is USF really on point with the other two? Many seem to treat it as a distant 3rd in Florida.

I would say they are all on the same field. But then again my opinion is an extremely biased one. USF is ranked well below the other two according to USNWR (due to lower research funding) but their clinical education is in no way below the other two. I would recommend looking at the match lists for all three as that is probably the best way to compare how "good" the schools are. USF year after year matches many students into very competitive specialties/residencies. Whether that is enough to consider them close to UF and UM is going to be different from individual to individual.

I would say they are all on the same field. But then again my opinion is an extremely biased one. USF is ranked well below the other two according to USNWR (due to lower research funding) but their clinical education is in no way below the other two. I would recommend looking at the match lists for all three as that is probably the best way to compare how "good" the schools are. USF year after year matches many students into very competitive specialties/residencies. Whether that is enough to consider them close to UF and UM is going to be different from individual to individual.

I agree. You'll be fine attending UF, UM, or USF in this state. There really isn't a significant difference between the schools so this is where you have to consider the other factors such as scholarships, location, proximity to family, etc.

I'm in the same situation, completely torn. I'm seeking therapy

No love for FSU???

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/fl

I know rankings aren't the definitive answer and such, but after the top 3 hospitals in FL (Tampa General, Florida Hospital, Shands), it's a pretty significant gap in number of nationally ranked specialties. That said, there's an argument to be made about how much you'll actually get to see as a med student, so some might say being near a "better" hospital doesn't matter as much.

It doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.