2014-2015 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Write an individual mission statement for your career in medicine. The statement should be focused and actionable on a limited number of goals. It should be short, memorable, and as meaningful as possible. The statement can be no more than 5 sentences. (maximum of 250 words)

2. Please tell us why you are interested in attending the CMU College of Medicine (CMED)? (maximum 250 words)

3. CMED is committed to recruiting a student body that represents the diversity of our community, our state, and our nation. How do you define diversity, what experience have you had with diversity, and how would you benefit from an environment that embraces diversity? (maximum of 250 words)

4. In looking beyond graduation from medical school, please describe what you anticipate will be your most meaningful opportunity as a physician. (maximum of 250 words)

5. Please provide any additional information that you wish the CMED admissions committee to consider. (i.e., novel experiences, extenuating circumstances, alternate life paths, etc.) (maximum of 250 words)

If out of state...

6. Please describe any ties that you have to Central Michigan University and/or the state of Michigan. (maximum of 150 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hoping for some love, just need that MCAT

applying here as well, would love to stay in-state and save that $$$...

Members don't see this ad :)
applying as well! former chip (fire up!) and heard some great things from people in the program :)

Well I have a letter from a clinical professor here and hopefully their holistic review helps me out.

Re-applicant here, interviewed last year so feel free to PM me with questions. Wishing you all good luck!

Here are the prompts I have from last year. Good luck everyone!

1) Write an individual mission statement for your career in medicine. The statement should be focused and actionable on a limited number of goals. It should be short, memorable, and as meaningful as possible. The statement can be no more than 5 sentences. (maximum of 250 words)

2) Please tell us why you are interested in attending the CMU College of Medicine (CMED)?

) Applicants follow many paths in deciding on a career in medicine. Please describe your path, indicating activities or events that have reinforced your decision. (maximum of 500 words)

4) CMED is committed to recruiting a student body that represents the diversity of our community, our state, and our nation. How do you define diversity, what experience have you had with diversity, and how would you benefit from an environment that embraces diversity? (maximum of 250 words)

5) In looking beyond graduation from medical school, please describe what you anticipate will be your most meaningful opportunity as a physician. (maximum of 500 words)

6) Please provide any additional information that you wish the CMED admissions committee to consider. (i.e., novel experiences, extenuating circumstances, alternate life paths, etc.) (maximum of 250 words)

7) Please describe any ties that you have to Central Michigan University and/or the state of Michigan. (maximum of 150 words)

got verified today!! hoping for a secondary from here!

This looks like an amazing school with access to a lot of financial resources: Synergy Medical Education Alliance, Covenant HealthCare, and St. Mary's of Michigan. They also have a really supportive community. It is definitely well positioned to succeed. I interviewed here last year and haven't heard back. I was about to reapply here, but I was just taken off Oakland's waitlist. Best of luck to all those applying this year!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what kind of LORs are required here? The website doesn't give any specifics in regards to science/non-science letters and such.

Does anyone know what kind of LORs are required here? The website doesn't give any specifics in regards to science/non-science letters and such.

Copied from their website.

"The following requirements apply to the letters of recommendation:

·Each letter should be written by an author who knows the applicant through a professional relationship or association, and must have firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications, skills, attributes, and values.

·Letter authors must be professionals whose background enables them to determine the applicant's qualifications.

·If students apply from a university that provides a composite letter from a premedical program, the composite letter will be accepted."

So either will work.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone got secondary?
According to last years thread it didn't get sent out until the middle of July

Edit: just kidding- just received the secondary, 7/2 at around 10 am

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got a secondary. Good luck everyone!!

Got a secondary!! Good luck! I'm suprised I got a secondary even though i'm waiting for my retake mcat score to be released on july 8th

is there a prescreen for this school before they give out the secondary?

I also can't fill anything out in the secondary. Tried it in Chrome and IE, no luck.

I just called the admissions office, Melissa said they sent out around 700 supplementals and I was the first to have this problem. They're going to check with the software people, but in the mean time, give them a call about it so they know it isn't an isolated incident.

I also called. They are working on fixing the issue.

Essays @gettheleadout

Wow...5 essays =O

1. Write an individual mission statement for your career in medicine. The statement should be focused and actionable on a limited number of goals. It should be short, memorable, and as meaningful as possible. The statement can be no more than 5 sentences. (maximum of 250 words)

2. Please tell us why you are interested in attending the CMU College of Medicine (CMED)? (maximum 250 words)

3. CMED is committed to recruiting a student body that represents the diversity of our community, our state, and our nation. How do you define diversity, what experience have you had with diversity, and how would you benefit from an environment that embraces diversity? (maximum of 250 words)

4. In looking beyond graduation from medical school, please describe what you anticipate will be your most meaningful opportunity as a physician. (maximum of 250 words)

5. Please provide any additional information that you wish the CMED admissions committee to consider. (i.e., novel experiences, extenuating circumstances, alternate life paths, etc.) (maximum of 250 words)

If out of state...

6. Please describe any ties that you have to Central Michigan University and/or the state of Michigan. (maximum of 150 words)

It's really 7, there's two more in the biographic section. CMU must want to make sure we have the stamina to get through their application haha

Edit: jk, saw you wrote that at the bottom of your post

Are you a resident? Should we actually write a paragraph about how we are connected to the county that we live in? -_-

I am, and I just wrote down a little about each county (3 in total). CMU wants people who will stay in MI, so it's good to show you have roots and won't necessarily leave after medical school

It's working for me now.

Yet I'm still confused on the "Biographic Info" section. For question #2 and on, do MI residents answer? You can't submit the section unless all of the spaces are filled. I emailed them...

UPDATE: They are working on it.

Last edited:
Essays @gettheleadout

Wow...5 essays =O

If out of state...

Are you sure the ties to Michigan question is only for non-residents? It seems to me like it's meant for everyone to answer.

Are you sure the ties to Michigan question is only for non-residents? It seems to me like it's meant for everyone to answer.

It said "for non-residents only" for bullet point #2. The essay is bullet point #5...so I assumed that in-staters won't have to fill that out, since it's obvious that our ties to the state is that we live here. Thanks to @Shinobiz11 though for asking about that! Keep us posted!

It said "for non-residents only" for bullet point #2. The essay is bullet point #5...so I assumed that in-staters won't have to fill that out, since it's obvious that our ties to the state is that we live here. Thanks to @Shinobiz11 though for asking about that! Keep us posted!

No prob. I know we're all collectively freaking out.

Submitted.

Everything appears to be fixed. They moved the "For Non-MI residents" tag, to question #5.

I've having trouble with the following prompt: In looking beyond graduation from medical school, please describe what you anticipate will be your most meaningful opportunity as a physician

What exactly are they are asking for? Are they asking me: What is going to be most meaningful for me as a physician?

What I answered with was the most meaningful thing I would be doing with my degree. What do you see yourself doing with your MD Degree? How will you put it to use?

anyone know the stats for OOS acceptance here? thx!

anyone know the stats for OOS acceptance here? thx!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1404404275.083527.jpg

Hey guys! I'm struggling with the optional essay about additional information. Would this be a place to explain a poor first semester of college? It's not really "extenuating circumstances" like they say, more like I just messed around and did not focus on school? Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)

Submitted! complete too!

Hey guys! I'm struggling with the optional essay about additional information. Would this be a place to explain a poor first semester of college? It's not really "extenuating circumstances" like they say, more like I just messed around and did not focus on school? Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)
Well this would be the place to put that you didn't do well in your first semester. I would not put it as "messed around" though. I would explain that you were not quit college ready and after the first semester you were able to grasp the concept of attending college and being on your own, a significant difference from high school.

Well this would be the place to put that you didn't do well in your first semester. I would not put it as "messed around" though. I would explain that you were not quit college ready and after the first semester you were able to grasp the concept of attending college and being on your own, a significant difference from high school.
Well yes, I would obviously not phrase it as "messed around" but thanks for the insight! I just wasn't sure if that was an appropriate place to explain that.

Well yes, I would obviously not phrase it as "messed around" but thanks for the insight! I just wasn't sure if that was an appropriate place to explain that.
It definitely is. This is your opportunity to "speak" to admissions and tell them what you think will help you most in your application.

for the non michigan residents, if i dont have any real ties should i leave it blank or mention that i have no ties?

I received my secondary application and I have completed it but I am hesitant to submit it because I am an out of state resident with no ties to Michigan or the school. Would anyone have any advise if I should submit this secondary. Thanks a lot!

I received my secondary application and I have completed it but I am hesitant to submit it because I am an out of state resident with no ties to Michigan or the school. Would anyone have any advise if I should submit this secondary. Thanks a lot!
If you've already completed it, what's the harm? In the grand scheme of things, 75$ application fee isn't too terrible. I'm also out of state with very few ties, but I'd rather not leave any stone unturned. Just my thoughts! From looking at MSAR, chances are dim for OOS, but who knows? Good luck!!

It's totally up to you, but you should have done your research beforehand. This is an in-state centered school. They want people who have connections with Michigan and will come back to eventually practice in rural/underserved communities.

If you've already completed it, what's the harm? In the grand scheme of things, 75$ application fee isn't too terrible. I'm also out of state with very few ties, but I'd rather not leave any stone unturned. Just my thoughts! From looking at MSAR, chances are dim for OOS, but who knows? Good luck!!

Isn't the fee $100? But yes- I'm a proponent of the no stone left unturned policy.

Also, how strongly does CMU screen pre-secondaries?

Can someone please help me out with this question? I have a few sentences (like 75 words) but I have no clue how to add more. I feel like with their questions, so much of my application is already starting to repeat itself. How much did other people have?

Does it take a while for the application status to change to complete? I submitted it already and all of my letters or rec show as being received, I don't know why I still don't have a green check box next to document/letter status and completion.