2014-2015 David Geffen School of Medicine University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called admissions. They've filled all seats, waiting on people to accept or decline.

PLEASE decline if you have some place else to go, for my life's sake.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Called admissions. They've filled all seats, waiting on people to accept or decline.

Thanks.

Already sent in my letter declining my seat and the scholarship:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity... Was it the Geffen, or another scholarship?

Also, does anyone know when final finaid packages will be released?

+1 I was wondering the same thing regarding financial aid packages.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

they've already filled all seats meaning all the seats that became open after April 30th? that seems way too fast...

+1 I was wondering the same thing regarding financial aid packages.

You have to email the FAO office and ask for an estimate. The estimate will pretty much be what you get in the end. This is the case for both DG and Drew

You have to email the FAO office and ask for an estimate. The estimate will pretty much be what you get in the end. This is the case for both DG and Drew

I got my estimate a few months ago. I just wanted to see when things would be finalised :)

Just got in!! Sent my LOI and an additional LOR on 5/4 and letter was sent 5/6, the letters may have worked for those of you that were wondering. Best of luck to everyone! Go Bruins!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got in!! Sent my LOI and an additional LOR on 5/4 and letter was sent 5/6, the letters may have worked for those of you that were wondering. Best of luck to everyone! Go Bruins!

Via status check or did you just notice when you got a letter in the mail?

they've already filled all seats meaning all the seats that became open after April 30th? that seems way too fast...

Yea, i called yesterday and that's what I was told. They said they had sent out all acceptances and were just waiting for people to withdraw/accept.

It was an automatic one-time use scholarship had I decided to go there. I think it was a Geffen one; it was not financial aid based.

Via status check or did you just notice when you got a letter in the mail?

Yea, i called yesterday and that's what I was told. They said they had sent out all acceptances and were just waiting for people to withdraw/accept.

I called the admissions office and they told me I was in, then received the official acceptance letter today and got a partial merit-based scholarship (not Geffen)

do we think they're done sending out post-April 30th acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they reevaluate the applicants post-April 30 or are they just sending out acceptances going down a list?

omgomgomgomg letter sent today 5/13! does anybody else have this?

Reactions: 5 users
I sent multiple updates and a loi. Anybody elsr have this?

Congrats!! How long ago did you send in those letters? I have sent multiple updates and an LOI as well.

Congrats!! How long ago did you send in those letters? I have sent multiple updates and an LOI as well.

i sent them in my additional update/letter of interest in march, and then an additional LOR a few weeks back. nobody else has the letter sent?

i sent them in my additional update/letter of interest in march, and then an additional LOR a few weeks back. nobody else has the letter sent?
lol I wish I did...it's my top choice. Still waiting =)

For those of you who sent a LOR, how did you send it? Attached in an email or did you have the letter writer send it?

Anyone know the status?

I've called multiple times in the past few weeks so I don't want to again.

Have they filled the class? Do they have outstanding offers (i.e. waiting for people to respond to their offers still)? Or are they still deliberating on sending out acceptances for open seats?

Still waiting...Anyone hear about a a waitlist coming out soon?
Last year, a waitlist wasn't out until late June I believe.

For those of you who sent a LOR, how did you send it? Attached in an email or did you have the letter writer send it?
I would have the letter writer send it directly via email. You may want to write the email yourself to make it easier on your letter writer.

Anyone know the status?

I've called multiple times in the past few weeks so I don't want to again.

Have they filled the class? Do they have outstanding offers (i.e. waiting for people to respond to their offers still)? Or are they still deliberating on sending out acceptances for open seats?

I would assume at this point the class has been filled and they are waiting to see if people drop to attend other schools. Acceptances from now until August will trickle out, but yes, the class has been filled and remaining acceptances will come from people who chose to attend somewhere else. I'd imagine this is true for all medical schools at this time!

Hey guys! I have withdraw from UCLA to attend Stanford. Best of luck to wait listers, and happy early-Christmas to the lucky fellow who gets the geffen scholarship!

Reactions: 9 users
Current students, for Weyburn Housing are you locked in to an 11 month lease each year? Where do students usually live years 3/4 and are any of these options cheaper than Weyburn?

How do you feel about the clinical opportunities the first two years at Geffen?

Thanks!!!

hey, I have been a long time lurker for this thread. I'm in the same waiting position as a lot of hopeful people in this forum. To the people like me, who UCLA is their 1st choice, I wish all of us the best of luck, keep believing. To everyone else who the school may not be their #1 choice, I hope you get the opportunity to go there. There's no point to this post, just hoping to become a part of this class.

Reactions: 6 users
How does the official wait-list stuff here work at UCLA?

Is there a large unranked wait-list? A large ranked wait-list? Are there two lists with first and second priority? What's lowdown?

Also, are acceptances swiftly sent out when positions open so they always have a full class at any point or is there some deliberation involved for each position that opens or do they wait until a few spots open up before deliberating again?

Also, are acceptances swiftly sent out when positions open so they always have a full class at any point or is there some deliberation involved for each position that opens or do they wait until a few spots open up before deliberating again?

The only thing I know for sure is that the committee meets again to reevaluate the remaining candidates.
But I doubt they meet immediately whenever someone declines their offer. That just sounds too time consuming.
I'd assume they wait until a few spots open before meeting up again.

Crossing my fingers that we'll hear more news from UCLA this upcoming week! :luck::xf:

Reactions: 2 users
How does the official wait-list stuff here work at UCLA?

Is there a large unranked wait-list? A large ranked wait-list? Are there two lists with first and second priority? What's lowdown?

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to any of these questions...I would be surprised if anyone on this forum did. Good luck!

Hey guys! I have withdraw from UCLA to attend Stanford. Best of luck to wait listers, and happy early-Christmas to the lucky fellow who gets the geffen scholarship!
best of luck socalnorthcal! I thought they don't pass on the geffen scholarships? Anyone know anything about this? I heard they give out more geffen scholarships assuming people will decline - and they don't pass the scholarship on to other students

best of luck socalnorthcal! I thought they don't pass on the geffen scholarships? Anyone know anything about this? I heard they give out more geffen scholarships assuming people will decline - and they don't pass the scholarship on to other students
I am not 100% sure on this one, but it is not inconceivable that they would go back to the original pool and invite other students with the Geffen Scholarship. I know of a few current Geffen Scholars in my year who didn't receive the Geffen Scholarship offer until June/early July. One of them had already settled on another school and was about to sign a lease before getting the news. We stole her from UWash!

Soooo... obviously I am not on the committee or anything, but I think evidence shows that they have probably gone back to the pot to offer some new Geffen Scholarships when others declined!

dont know if this will be too helpful, but in the past day, 3 new people were added to the dgsom fb group, though they could very well have been accepted a long time ago and decided to join the group just now.

dont know if this will be too helpful, but in the past day, 3 new people were added to the dgsom fb group, though they could very well have been accepted a long time ago and decided to join the group just now.

they could also be current students!

Last year, a wave of acceptances went out about a month after the deadline. Post-interview rejections then went out a few days after.
If this year is anything like last year, more decisions should be coming out right about now. :nod:

Regardless of the outcome, i'm looking forward to getting an answer soon.
If it's an offer, i'll be so happy that I get to attend my dream school.
If it's a rejection, i'll be glad that I finally got some closure and can finally be excited about going to the school that I have already been accepted at.

Good luck to all those who have yet to hear back! :luck::xf:

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, a wave of acceptances went out about a month after the deadline. Post-interview rejections then went out a few days after.
If this year is anything like last year, more decisions should be coming out right about now. :nod:

If it's a rejection, i'll be glad that I finally got some closure and can finally be excited about going to the school that I have already been accepted at.

I think that wave you're referring to already happened this year :( From what it seems like, a large wave went out around 1 week after April 30th. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I hope you're right though and that a big wave will be coming out soon!

I think that wave you're referring to already happened this year :( From what it seems like, a large wave went out around 1 week after April 30th. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I hope you're right though and that a big wave will be coming out soon!

Based on last year's thread, it looks like acceptances went out approximately 1-2 weeks after the deadline followed by a smaller wave of acceptances about a month after the deadline. Post-interview rejections went out a few days afterwards.

Based on last year's thread, it looks like acceptances went out approximately 1-2 weeks after the deadline followed by a smaller wave of acceptances about a month after the deadline. Post-interview rejections went out a few days afterwards.

Oh got it! Thanks for clarifying. Well, hoping for the best for all of us then!

Ugh well said, having UCLA still as a possibility is a blessing, but I feel like I'm taking my acceptance for granted because I just keep hoping for DGSOM!

Good luck to you too!

Reactions: 1 users
You guys have it good, trust me. If it makes you all feel any better, I'm sitting on 4 wait lists including DGSOM, but no acceptances.

Received an acceptance letter in the mail today with a small merit offer. After not receiving a waitlist update or email I honestly forgot that my application here was still on hold. It was nice to see anyway, but I will be withdrawing my application. Just thought I'd let you all know that the waitlist is still moving.
Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Received an acceptance letter in the mail today with a small merit offer. After not receiving an waitlist update or email I honestly forgot that my application here was still on hold. It was nice to see anyway, but I will be withdrawing my application. Just thought I'd let you all know that the waitlist is still moving.
Good luck! :)

thank you for sharing! do you mind sharing when you saw the "letter sent" on your portal?

would anyone want to call and see when they expect rejections to come out? I would call but I feel like I have called so much recently haha :happy: