2014-2015 David Geffen School of Medicine University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not 100% sure on this one, but it is not inconceivable that they would go back to the original pool and invite other students with the Geffen Scholarship. I know of a few current Geffen Scholars in my year who didn't receive the Geffen Scholarship offer until June/early July. One of them had already settled on another school and was about to sign a lease before getting the news. We stole her from UWash!

Soooo... obviously I am not on the committee or anything, but I think evidence shows that they have probably gone back to the pot to offer some new Geffen Scholarships when others declined!
I see! Thanks for the insight catzzz88! It seems like UCLA most likely uses these scholarships to "steal" other students away from top schools! hahaha seems more likely for these scholarships to go to people who are still on waitlist on top 10 schools huh? That's still good to know though!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You guys have it good, trust me. If it makes you all feel any better, I'm sitting on 4 wait lists including DGSOM, but no acceptances.

Aw man, sorry to hear that. I really do hope you hear back from one of those schools soon. :xf:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see! Thanks for the insight catzzz88! It seems like UCLA most likely uses these scholarships to "steal" other students away from top schools! hahaha seems more likely for these scholarships to go to people who are still on waitlist on top 10 schools huh? That's still good to know though!
I don't know the answer to your question, but the Geffen Scholarship is 100% merit based, so it really depends on how you define merit. This is really just up to the Geffen Scholarship Committee. I do know that they put a great deal of thought into these offers and it is absolutely not based on just numbers. Personally, I wasn't a stellar applicant numbers wise (see my MD Apps), but I guess I had some quality that they liked. I didn't expect to receive the Geffen Scholarship and I certainly still question whether I deserved it over all the other incredible applicants, so don't lose hope quite yet as you never know what is coming for you!

Reactions: 1 users
for the most important volunteer and non academic work questions, did everyone use something from your primary? I know i'm not supposed to copy/paste from it. Perhaps another aspect of those experiences?

for the most important volunteer and non academic work questions, did everyone use something from your primary? I know i'm not supposed to copy/paste from it. Perhaps another aspect of those experiences?

Definitely don't copy & paste. I used the same experiences but just talked about different aspects.

Definitely don't copy & paste. I used the same experiences but just talked about different aspects.
the thing is that i already used those experiences in my PS and then talked about different aspects about them on my significant essays...

the thing is that i already used those experiences in my PS and then talked about different aspects about them on my significant essays...

The thing is, if they are asking about something that was significant in your life, it would be a little weird if it wasn't on your primary application. I'm sure they expect to, and often do, see repeat experiences.

The thing is, if they are asking about something that was significant in your life, it would be a little weird if it wasn't on your primary application. I'm sure they expect to, and often do, see repeat experiences.
so if i'm out of original aspects, what should i do? reword one of the aspects?

Members don't see this ad :)
any updates from admissions?

I asked on another thread about waitlist movement for last week and apparently there was very little. so not sure if that's good (i.e. no new acceptances released so more to come) or bad (i.e. no new acceptances released because no open spots)

Just got the letter sent status and an acceptance call . Interviewed in Sept.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the letter sent status and an acceptance call . Interviewed in Sept.

Do you plan on withdrawing?

Are they actually calling now? They must be at the end of the line then.

Edit: Congrats btw (sorry for not mentioning that), you've earned it obviously.

Last edited:
They really should let us know where we stand after this week.

That's mid-June, and I can see no reason why they haven't decided on who to decline and who to wait-list.

To get in here you need like 4.0 in the honors program , and the Vice President of something of your student government and a whole bunch of other things ...

Even last year was better than this year. I'm gonna call today and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
So I called. Nothing new really. Again, the class is full. But people are still withdrawing. They're meeting "randomly" to fill the seats of those withdrawing. They don't know when we'll learn our status as of now.

So I called. Nothing new really. Again, the class is full. But people are still withdrawing. They're meeting "randomly" to fill the seats of those withdrawing. They don't know when we'll learn our status as of now.

this is very frustrating. it would be nice to get some closure. thank you for calling though!

For those of you who have gotten accepted recently, what are your MCAT and GPA? I've heard that people who get accepted this late in the game tend to have really high stats to boost their average and wasn't sure if that would true? Just trying to assess my chances haha

For those of you who have gotten accepted recently, what are your MCAT and GPA? I've heard that people who get accepted this late in the game tend to have really high stats to boost their average and wasn't sure if that would true? Just trying to assess my chances haha

i was accepted about a month ago, and my stats are definitely way below their average (LizzyM <70). i really believe that UCLA sees beyond numbers (of course, you have to hit the minimum) and really cares about your interview performance, your e.c.'s, and those "intangibles". also, i believe at this point, its probably more about fit and trying to make the most balanced and diverse class possible, rather than accepting to raise their stats (how much could one 4.0/41 acceptance shift the balance when there are already 150 other data points?).

Reactions: 5 users
Any new news at this point?

Any idea why no post-II rejections been sent out yet, that's almost unbelievable.

Any new news at this point?

Any idea why no post-II rejections been sent out yet, that's almost unbelievable.
From last year's thread, it looks like rejections didn't go out until the start of July. Sounds crazy, but the timeline this year could be similar...

+1 this was probably a set deal for weeks now. How foolish was I to think there was stilll hope this late :(

:( so sorry guys. I'll probably be joining you all soon.

did these decisions go out via email?

Withdrew my application. Good luck to those on the wait list

According to their website, DGSOM is pretty strict on pre-requisites. Did anyone have luck at getting any of them waived? (E.g. Significant research experience in lieu of 1-2 lab courses)