2014-2015 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just submitted my application! haha the waiting game begins.... anw, how do you check that the supporting documents have already been received? they say that you can check on the online portal but all I see is my application just that now everything is locked.

the thread this year is awfully quiet... keep the updates coming in! we can all share the agony of waiting together...

all the best to those who are waiting for interview results!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
Is anyone interviewing at Durham,NC on November 25th?
Let me know!:)

Quick question: is this program easier to get into than most medical schools in the US?
I say it would depend on who you are and your intention. If you are an international student and planning on practicing in the South East Asia area , Duke-NUS might be friendlier but not necessarily easier. It does ask for a very competitive application with 30+ MCAT average and some research experience. Also, the class size is relatively small compared to most medical schools in the US.

Personally, I was waitlisted last year at Duke-NUS and got accepted at a medical school in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was interviewed in October and was called for an additional interview.
@ballisticgal you mind sharing what was needed for the additional interview?
Thanks

Hi guys, new here! Been following this thread for sometime and just finally decided to reply because the wait is agonizing!!!
Interviewed in September, follow up interview in October, haven't heard back. This is killing me!
How about you likeplum?

Hey guys, I went for applicants day in October as well. Have not heard anything back yet, the wait is agonizing.Anyone heard anything back yet?

Just submitted my online application. Keeping my fingers crossed while waiting!

I just got my interview invite!:) Anyone else going for the applicant day on 8th dec in singapore?

Anw has anyone else who have gone for the applicant day heard back yet? From past years it seems those who applied early typically got their offers around now!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,anyone interested in The Princeton Review? Would like to let go at $50 (bought at $160). Let me know, thanks!

To all waiting in agony, all the best! This thread is very quiet this year. Anyone received any news yet?

hello, just only discovered this and figured i should chip in! i think they're slowly rolling out the acceptances--someone i know interviewed in september and was offered early this month; i went for october's applicant day and was offered sometime early this week. fingers crossed and best of luck to those still waiting!!! :)

hello, just only discovered this and figured i should chip in! i think they're slowly rolling out the acceptances--someone i know interviewed in september and was offered early this month; i went for october's applicant day and was offered sometime early this week. fingers crossed and best of luck to those still waiting!!! :)

Hi,

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? :)

Congrats @waikikerls!:)

For those who have already attended the applicant day, could you please share how the interviews were like? There are 2 interviews right? How are they different and what sort of things do they tend to focus on? I attended the NUS YLLSOM interview 4 years back and they had 2 sessions too, one was a more formal one with the whole panel being doctors/professors asking situational and ethical questions while the other was more light-hearted with allied health professionals and school staff getting to know you. Is there a clear difference for the 2 interviews at Duke-NUS?

Oh and a trivial question: Ladies what did you guys wear for the applicant day? I've read that a skirt suit is the safest bet for ladies, but isn't it really hot for Singapore? I don't want to be over/underdressed but at the same time I think its most impt to be comfy!

thanks @extremezir and @lyyj! :) i'm finishing up my MSc and have a BSSc in psychology, and i started doing research as early as my second undergraduate year--i hope this helps! as for the interview(er)s, i felt that their main objective, regardless of approach, was to get to know us better as a person beyond our achievements on paper; one was a clinician, and the other, a researcher (although i'm not sure if that was specific to just the applicant day i attended). all the best for the interviews and applications!! :)

Has anyone interviewed at US got the financial aid package yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi like plum, I interviewed here in Singapore but still haven't gotten anything about financial aid. They said during the applicant day that financial aid package might be a bit delayed this year on account of the changes in the tuition fees. I suppose that's why it hasn't arrived... Or has anyone in Singapore gotten the FA package?

Hi like plum, I interviewed here in Singapore but still haven't gotten anything about financial aid. They said during the applicant day that financial aid package might be a bit delayed this year on account of the changes in the tuition fees. I suppose that's why it hasn't arrived... Or has anyone in Singapore gotten the FA package?

Thanks for the info. So even people interviewed at Oct haven't got it yet?

Hey I attended the recent applicant day in singapore, they mentioned something about opening up the financial aid for application around 16/17 december! so i guess keep a lookout for it next week! have you guys all gotten your offers?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and a first time applicant. I applied relatively late (dragged it out right to the Dec.1 deadline) and I will be interviewing in San Francisco January 3rd. Any chance I'll meet any of you?

Anyone going for the 9 Jan Applicant Day in Singapore? :)

Gl to you guys who are interviewing soon. Can the current students or anyone comment on if filing FA application will impact your admission chance?

Gl to you guys who are interviewing soon. Can the current students or anyone comment on if filing FA application will impact your admission chance?

Nope it doesn't. Everyone usually fills up the financial aid form after applicant day unless one states that they do not want to be considered for it. By financial aid I mean the need-based scholarships, not the merit scholarships.

Nope it doesn't. Everyone usually fills up the financial aid form after applicant day unless one states that they do not want to be considered for it. By financial aid I mean the need-based scholarships, not the merit scholarships.
Thanks for the timely response Brian! :)

Hey Everyone!

Happy New Year! :D

Just chanced upon this forum and would like to contribute to it :)

I took my MCAT in June 2014, got my results in July (32), applied via the early bird application in September, got a slot for Applicant Day in October, and got my Acceptance Letter in November. I got the Financial Aid email 2 weeks back in December. Every thing happened so fast in less than a year, but it was a hectic one getting my Letters of Recommendations, studying for the MCAT and preparing for the interview while working at the same time.

I have a BSc(Pharm)(Hons). Graduated in July 2014. Only started research in Year 4 of my final year project. But I did it under a few renowned researchers who helped me to pen strong recommendation letters. I was also heavily involved in school activities, and my coaches and instructors helped me to pen letters as well. I would think that these letters hold quite a lot of weight, so choose who to write them wisely.

I think all in all, they want to see a well-rounded individual. One who excels in academics (as evidenced by your degree and the MCAT), research (as evidenced by your research experience) and extra-curricular activities (be it community work, sports, performing arts which should be long-term, not some ad-hoc activities). If you fall short in one, just make sure that another category is strong enough to balance it out. For me, I think I had a balance in all 3 categories. Not particularly strong in one, but neither weak in any too.

Applicant Day was probably a 5/10 on the stress-scale - it was rather easy-going. Don't be pressured to shout answers during the discussions (eg. Team LEAD) just because every one else is doing so. Instead, formulate some well-thought and structured answers that are succinct. Although the Ad Com says that everything else is not graded other than the interviews and essays, I'm pretty sure overall impression counts. So just participate like how you would in a normal classroom :) As for the interviews, MD applicants like me would have 2 interviews. One should be a practicing physician (clue: look at the black Dr name tag they are wearing) and the other should be a scientist. I would think that their questions are nothing like the undergraduate Medicine interviews, but more of a get-to-know you session, and probably some of your opinions on hypothetical situations.

All the best for those who have yet to received your reply, or who are going for the subsequent Applicant Days!

For those who have accepted, see you in school soon :)

Hi guys,

I'm currently a year 3 student and intends to apply for Duke-NUS. I would like to ask a few questions.

1) If i want to start school straight after I graduate, do i apply in Year 4 or at the end of Year 3(Early May 2015, will graduate in May 2016) ?
2) How does the financial aid scholarship works? How much does it cover? I'm quite worried about the cost of study. On top of that, I still have to clear my loan for undergraduate study and exchange study and worst of all, i will have no income if i start my study in Duke-NUS.
3) Any seniors here got merit-based scholarship for Duke-NUS? What are the usual criteria?

Hi guys

Good luck to all applicants awaiting news/ preparing for interviews. A facebook group has been created for the entering class of 2019. So those who have accepted their offers and once you have gotten your offers, send me a message and I'll gladly add you to the group. I thought it would be a nice platform for us to get to know each other before we meet in person :)

Good luck to all!

congrats @yytscyy!:)

May I know when was your applicant day and when you received your offer? the wait is excruciating:/ Oh and also would you mind sharing how many people are in the group already? So it would give us a good idea on how many places there are left... Thanks!:)

congrats @yytscyy!:)

May I know when was your applicant day and when you received your offer? the wait is excruciating:/ Oh and also would you mind sharing how many people are in the group already? So it would give us a good idea on how many places there are left... Thanks!:)

Hi @lyyj

My applicant day was held in November and I got in December. The group is really new, so as of now maybe 4 people, but it's limited to people who have facebook accounts and know of this forum. I hope you hear back with good news soon. Let me know if you have any other inquires!

hi all :)), my applicant day was held in november too, and i got the offer in december

Hi congrats! May I know when did u guys received in Dec? And did the offer come before or after submission of FA?

Hi congrats! May I know when did u guys received in Dec? And did the offer come before or after submission of FA?

Hi Menoname, I got it shortly before Christmas ( I think the 23rd Dec ) if I'm not wrong, I believe I submitted the FA before but I don't really remember on the top of my head.

i had my applicant day in singapore. the offer came on 23rd Dec before I submitted my FA :) hope that helps :)

i had my applicant day in singapore. the offer came on 23rd Dec before I submitted my FA :) hope that helps :)
Just out of curiosity, had any of you who got offers went to a call back interview?

any word for january interviewers (in sf). how long do you think we will wait till first acceptances roll out from out date?

any word for january interviewers (in sf). how long do you think we will wait till first acceptances roll out from out date?
I didn't go to the applicant day in January. However, I had a skype interview with them about a week ago. They told me that I would expect to hear back from them around March-April. So I think it might be pretty much around the same time.

Has anyone gone to the late november or early december applicant day heard back from them? It's almost been two months!

Hey likeplum im still waiting too... I interviewed early december.

call back interview. thoughts?
Hey in my opinion I think call backs are a good sign! I would see it as they are interested in having you so they just want to meet you to know you better... when did you interview?

Has anyone who interviewed early dec/late nov heard back from them? Good/Bad news?

Hey in my opinion I think call backs are a good sign! I would see it as they are interested in having you so they just want to meet you to know you better... when did you interview?

Has anyone who interviewed early dec/late nov heard back from them? Good/Bad news?

I interviewed on 8 dec and have gotten my acceptance offer

it seems like people who are accepted received their acceptance in around a month's time. does it mean people who have waited for 2 or 3 months have slim chance ? :/

it seems like people who are accepted received their acceptance in around a month's time. does it mean people who have waited for 2 or 3 months have slim chance ? :/

I hope not:/ I've also been waiting 2 months and beginning to lose hope:/ Has anyone heard of rejections being sent out? Or do they do the rejections all the way at the end of the application cycle like in April/May?

anw, congrats @AJTJ! and thanks for sharing...

Hello! Some trends that I have noticed: I interviewed on 8 nov 2014 and received acceptance in late dec 2014. And I also noticed some that interviewed in early oct were accepted in late nov 2014. Also, those interviewed in early dec received acceptance towards the end of jan. So I think they typically take 2 months to come to a decision to accept or wait.

The disclaimer is that this is what I have observed from following the thread here. So I may be wrong. :)

Best of luck for all who are waiting!

Hey all, I think the waiting period has increased from previous years like what @falciparum said...

My interview was on Dec 8 and I received an acceptance offer on 27 Jan. That is about 7 weeks of waiting. It didn't really help that I was checking my inbox every other hour as well...

Judging that the half-way mark of interview sessions was after Dec 8, I'm speculating there should be more than half a class size of vacancies to fill. Don't lose hope!

And to those who have already accepted, I look forward to being classmates and seeing each other around in school :)

Do you think international student acceptances are decided after they pick the Singaporean students though? Have any international students received acceptances yet?

Do you think international student acceptances are decided after they pick the Singaporean students though? Have any international students received acceptances yet?
From my experience last year, they picked both types of candidate almost simultaneously. They did pick a few Singaporean first just because they have interview day before the one in the US. Around this time last year, some international students were already selected.

On a completely different note, is it just me or the thread just get more and more quiet every year? Does it mean the interest has gone or people are just getting too cool to post stuffs on SDN?