2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard the Augusta campus started to implement problem-based learning sessions (once per week) last semester and have other small group sessions. Can you tell me anything about those non-lecture sessions? Also, what is the grading system for the pre-clinical years and for the clinical years? Thanks.
I know that its P/F for first year and graded for second year of pre-clinical. There is a push to make second year also P/F but its supposedly not gaining any traction.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the Augusta campus started to implement problem-based learning sessions (once per week) last semester and have other small group sessions. Can you tell me anything about those non-lecture sessions? Also, what is the grading system for the pre-clinical years and for the clinical years? Thanks.

Ah, yes, I believe I can. There are several small-group sessions. These are a part of ECM, Essentials of Clinical Medicine. In ECM, we learn how to do physical exams, take a history, and study a case. These will prepare us for the OSCEs.(Objective Structured Clinical Exam) This is an all-year "class" and is worth the most, 17 credits. The small groups will range from our cadaver/anatomy groups, exam-based learning, and case studies. I believe for the case studies we will be presented with something like a patient, age, and symptoms, and then with a professor work through all the ways to diagnose and write a plan for that patient. It can be really hard to keep up with because ECM is really like 5 classes in one.

http://www.gru.edu/mcg/coffice/documents/p1-policies.pdf

This pdf, on the second page, shows the "classes," as well as the objectives for each. ECM I believe is once a week, and we have two lectures in the morning, 4 hr total.

As LetMeInOk said, the first year is P/F, the second year is ABCDEF. As for third and fourth year, it's also ABCDEF, you will be graded by a survey given to your attending that you were under during your rotation.

Someone please correct me if any of this is incorrect.

Reactions: 1 user
Could anyone shed some light on where to find general information related to dress code, textbook lists, electronic textbooks vs. traditional textbooks, computer suggestions, etc? I feel like I am so under-prepared at this point, even though I was just accepted this past Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone shed some light on where to find general information related to dress code, textbook lists, electronic textbooks vs. traditional textbooks, computer suggestions, etc? I feel like I am so under-prepared at this point, even though I was just accepted this past Friday.

Why, yes, yes I can! http://www.gru.edu/mcg/coffice/ This is the curriculum office home page.
Phase 1 is us M1s! Under policy and procedures you will find textbooks, dress code, the computer requirements, etc etc. Explore the website! You can even look at our daily course schedule, tentative exam schedule and the like.

I went to second look day and the current students essentially screamed the following:
DO NOT PURCHASE ANY TEXTBOOKS. NOT. ONE. TEXTBOOK.
(before you arrive) Nearly all texts we will be using are pdfs, since they are most useful to us in a searchable form and people tend to hand them down so they are ~*~free~*~!

Reactions: 1 users
You guys have any idea about when I should move on from wishful thinking about getting off the wait list to start preparing for next year's cycle? Obviously I know it could happen all throughout May-July, but for gods sake, it's only my life hanging in the balance. Gotta find out if I need to renew my lease and sh**. Ugh.

You guys have any idea about when I should move on from wishful thinking about getting off the wait list to start preparing for next year's cycle? Obviously I know it could happen all throughout May-July, but for gods sake, it's only my life hanging in the balance. Gotta find out if I need to renew my lease and sh**. Ugh.

My first waitlist, I prepared a month after traffic day and submitted within a month of AMCAS opening (verified by early July). The second time, I prepared two weeks after traffic day and submitted a week after it opened. This time if I did not get pulled on traffic day, I would have started preparing the day after.

Long time lurker. I got my email today. Accepted to MCG.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when this year's orientation is?

I just received an email from MCG. I got into MCG. Since people might ask about stats. overall GPA 3.68 science GPA 3.85 MCAT 32; extensive extracurricular activities: leadership, NIH funded research, physician shadowing, hospital volunteering, clinically related work experience, etc... non-traditional.
Did you get a confirmation when they received your deposit?

Wow. Housing is cheap.

Last edited:
To those of you (on wait list) who have sent their final transcripts with degrees, was the document status 'Y' initially or was it 'R' and then later became 'Y'? Mine says 'R' even though I sent them my final transcript.

Mine already had degrees on it and it has always said R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...okay, thanks! Also, how long do you think they take to review/process the transcript?

Per the website, they only started in May assuming they have started. So we are looking at about 220 accepted students (plus a few on the waitlist) with an average of 2 or more transcripts per student (I have 5). If it is Ms Holland doing it alone, I would say it's going to be a while for the accepted students and that the waitlisted students aren't even going to be looked at. I am not even going to be worried until maybe July.

Withdrew my acceptance a few weeks ago and I really hope that one of you who is waiting for your first acceptance gets my spot :)

Good luck y'all!

Accepted from the wait list this morning!

Reactions: 7 users
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought one of the e-mails said that August 3rd was orientation? I might be mistaken.

I have been asking and none of the emails I've gotten has said anything. Maybe you could look into the emails that are listed through the secondary application and see if that is correct? I even was there earlier this week and directly asked and the response was "I don't know." A lot of other students have gotten more emails than I have.

I have been asking and none of the emails I've gotten has said anything. Maybe you could look into the emails that are listed through the secondary application and see if that is correct? I even was there earlier this week and directly asked and the response was "I don't know." A lot of other students have gotten more emails than I have.
When they sent out the email with the old academic calander for 2014-2015 it said to use it as an approximation until they release the 2015-2016 calander. Based on last year I would assume orientation will be the 3rd and 4th with the first day of classes being the 5th. They also said to be in town a couple days beforehand to get parking decals and id badges. With all that being said, nothing is official yet and this is just my best guess based on last year.

When they sent out the email with the old academic calander for 2014-2015 it said to use it as an approximation until they release the 2015-2016 calander. Based on last year I would assume orientation will be the 3rd and 4th with the first day of classes being the 5th. They also said to be in town a couple days beforehand to get parking decals and id badges. With all that being said, nothing is official yet and this is just my best guess based on last year.

Which email quoted the academic calendar? None of the emails to me did. (The secondary app keeps a record). I've only had students say early August, but it's driving me crazy the lack of emails.

Which email quoted the academic calendar? None of the emails to me did. (The secondary app keeps a record). I've only had students say early August, but it's driving me crazy the lack of emails.
The email was immunization and pre registration requirements. I got a series of 3 emails shorty after my background check came back (don't know if this is a reason or just coincidental timing). Anyways here is the link to the old calander: http://www.gru.edu/mcg/coffice/documents/acad-cal.pdf

The email was immunization and pre registration requirements. I got a series of 3 emails shorty after my background check came back (don't know if this is a reason or just coincidental timing). Anyways here is the link to the old calander: http://www.gru.edu/mcg/coffice/documents/acad-cal.pdf

Thank you, my background check should have been released by now. I had a note in my acceptance letter to get my immunizations done, but there wasn't anything else in that email. It's been very quiet from admissions on my end. I am convinced that the acceptance was a dream because of how quiet it has been.

This is from my immunization email: "Please take note of the important dates in this calendar until the 2015-2016 calendar is available at this web address: http://catalog.gru.edu/index.php. Contact the Curriculum Office at 706 721-3217 for further updates on the Academic Calendar. Students enrolled in the Medical College of Georgia are expected to fulfill all requirements of the medical curriculum including registration and orientation programs beginning on August 3rd."

This is from my immunization email: "Please take note of the important dates in this calendar until the 2015-2016 calendar is available at this web address: http://catalog.gru.edu/index.php. Contact the Curriculum Office at 706 721-3217 for further updates on the Academic Calendar. Students enrolled in the Medical College of Georgia are expected to fulfill all requirements of the medical curriculum including registration and orientation programs beginning on August 3rd."

That link doesn't have the 2015-2016 though

Quick tip: Apparently you can pick up your ID badge and parking pass earlier in July if you need to be out of Augusta right before orientation for some reason.

True, but it does verify that orientation/registration starts on the 3rd.

Which was not in mine. Where you accepted immediately or pulled off waitlist? Maybe that matters? Mine said simply see you in August. But thanks

Did everyone already get their financial aid awards? I was accepted back in November and I still haven't seen it yet

Accepted back in Feb and haven't heard back about campus assignment, financial aid, or even any timeline/schedule. Started to wonder if I really did get accepted...

OK they have officially stated orientation is Aug 3 as of June 1. I better put it in my calendar.

Hey guys, just wanted to congratulate everyone on their acceptances! Enjoy your last summer before med school, don't stress it. 1st year is P/F; med school is tough but it probably isn't as hard as you're imaging in your head. I hope you guys can appreciate how exciting this step in your life is without stressing out all day ;)

Hey guys, just wanted to congratulate everyone on their acceptances! Enjoy your last summer before med school, don't stress it. 1st year is P/F; med school is tough but it probably isn't as hard as you're imaging in your head. I hope you guys can appreciate how exciting this step in your life is without stressing out all day ;)

Quick question, are we internally ranked even though to pass fail? People have been mentioning this deans letter at other schools and I'm wondering how that applies to GRU.

Quick question, are we internally ranked even though to pass fail? People have been mentioning this deans letter at other schools and I'm wondering how that applies to GRU.
The first year is the only time it is pass/fail, and those grades will have absolutely no bearing on your class rank or standing. There is no secret list of how you did in M1 that will follow you. You will still know your grade on tests and the class average, so you can take a guess where you stand next to your peers.

The rest of the years your GPA will be used to put you into a quintile which will be on your dean's letter, and your clinical grades will all be known to residency directors when you apply for residency.

Just received my campus assignment: Athens.

Accepted 5/22 off the waitlist and received an Athens campus assignment today!! I look forward to meeting you all! Also, I do live in Athens right now so if anyone has general questions about the city feel free to PM me.

Augusta it is for all four years.

Last edited:
Dr. Bauza (M1 dean) said there's a welcoming dinner for us all August 2nd. 2 days of orientation after then right into class.

Does any one know if there are any remaining seats? Athens or Augusta.

It seems from last years thread that there was another wave of waitlist movement around June but that hasn't been the case this year.

FYI-- the 2015-2016 cycle for MCG thread is now available folks...good luck to some still getting invites from the WL. The 230 slots is a bunch to fill (should really be 2 public medical schools in a state w/10 million), and some acceptees get late offers elsewhere, which always causes some musical chairs, certainly during and thru May, but a few get accepted thru June. :luck:

Does any one know if there are any remaining seats? Athens or Augusta.

It seems from last years thread that there was another wave of waitlist movement around June but that hasn't been the case this year.

Yea It's moving. I got a call today

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! I am curious did you submit any updates while being on the wait list?
They said they don't accept updates after January. However, I did upload the update letter (I had a publication in very prestigious journal). I'm not sure if it played a role.
GPA 3.9 from top10 undergraduate, ~35 MCAT, IS
I did submit a letter of intent

They said they don't accept updates after January. However, I did upload the update letter (I had a publication in very prestigious journal). I'm not sure if it played a role.
GPA 3.9 from top10 undergraduate, ~35 MCAT, IS
I did submit a letter of intent

I have heard of a similar situation with a guy who went to my undergrad university. Right after he updated them with a publication, they accepted him. But your stats are pretty impressive, so it may not have mattered. Seeing your numbers, and seeing that you were only just pulled from the list, I can only hope that they will have some mercy for me. Anyways, congrats again!