2014-2015 Medical School for International Health. Ben-Gurion University/Columbia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwoog123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would get a thread started since I didn't see one already.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the situation is for the incoming class right now? Are they starting on time (due to the rockets falling on Beer Sheva)?

Just got an II and requested October 15. Anyone else out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of residencies do these grads typically go for? Allopathic US residencies, right?

What kind of residencies do these grads typically go for? Allopathic US residencies, right?

Here's the 2014 residency placements: http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/msih/ps/documents/2014MSIHResidencyPlacementsbySpecialty.pdf
The students generally get placed into decent US residencies but the program has been known to not be accommodating to those who want to specialize when it comes to electives offered and the administration in general. Most students place into family medicine or pediatrics.

Reactions: 1 user
II. can't make any of the current dates though...

II. can't make any of the current dates though...

Yeah it was pretty short notice, but I'm sure if you requested more dates then they'd give you more options. My experience with the administration and their responsiveness has been pretty positive.

Just got an II and requested October 15. Anyone else out there?

Hey Chemistry Cat, I'll be there Oct. 15 as well, really looking forward to it. My experience with the admissions office has been the same; very positive, open to questions, and quick responses to questions. Are you expecting anything out of the ordinary for the interview? So far it sounds like it's more conversational/job interview-esque rather than highly academic.

Hey Chemistry Cat, I'll be there Oct. 15 as well, really looking forward to it. My experience with the admissions office has been the same; very positive, open to questions, and quick responses to questions. Are you expecting anything out of the ordinary for the interview? So far it sounds like it's more conversational/job interview-esque rather than highly academic.

Awesome, see you there! My impression that it'll also just be a standard interview, but I just don't understand what we'll be doing for the whole three hours. The interview will last an hour at most, but it's not like they can give us a tour of the campus or introduce us to students afterwards since it's a satellite interview. Any thoughts? I wanted to email them asking for the interview day schedule but I don't want to come across as naggy.

Hey all!
I've always planned to apply here, but became shy around the recent unrest...what are you thinking? Are you all applying elsewhere in Israel as well?
I've applied to 34 US schools...

Hey all!
I've always planned to apply here, but became shy around the recent unrest...what are you thinking? Are you all applying elsewhere in Israel as well?

I'm applying to Sackler and the Technion, too. Have you ever been to Israel? It's not at all like it's portrayed on the news, it's definitely calmed down since the beginning of the summer, and the iron dome allows for most missiles to be intercepted, even in the south. I wouldn't worry about it. Just apply and see what happens!

Hi ChemistryCat---I haven't been, but have traveled pretty extensively. I think I will throw my name in the hat for those same schools. I've applied so broadly in the US without any II yet, so I think it's time. For the BG II, where is it, NYC or Israel? Are you all applying as backup to US medical schools or because you want Israel schools? I'm curious to chat with you all!

I'm applying to Sackler and the Technion, too. Have you ever been to Israel? It's not at all like it's portrayed on the news, it's definitely calmed down since the beginning of the summer, and the iron dome allows for most missiles to be intercepted, even in the south. I wouldn't worry about it. Just apply and see what happens!

Hey all!

Oh, you operate the system? Or do you work for the Israeli Occupation Forces?

Don't spread false information on here. Students considering this school should look up for themselves the safety of this area and the effectiveness of the iron dome.

http://thebulletin.org/evidence-shows-iron-dome-not-working7318
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2014/07/25/israels-iron-dome-is-more-like-an-iron-sieve/
http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/TPV3/Voices.php/2014/08/17/the-great-israeli-iron-dome-hoax

Diversify your news sources. Fox News and the BBC are not your best sources.

Personally, I would pursue my MD in the Caribbean before I go to be educated on occupied land, in which I am surrounded by millions of refugees hungry to go back to their homes from which they were forcibly evacuated on the basis of race and religion. Imagine, you're going to be an empathetic and compassionate physician, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, you operate the system? Or do you work for the Israeli Occupation Forces?

Don't spread false information on here. Students considering this school should look up for themselves the safety of this area and the effectiveness of the iron dome.

http://thebulletin.org/evidence-shows-iron-dome-not-working7318
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2014/07/25/israels-iron-dome-is-more-like-an-iron-sieve/
http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/TPV3/Voices.php/2014/08/17/the-great-israeli-iron-dome-hoax

Diversify your news sources. Fox News and the BBC are not your best sources.

Personally, I would pursue my MD in the Caribbean before I go to be educated on occupied land, in which I am surrounded by millions of refugees hungry to go back to their homes from which they were forcibly evacuated on the basis of race and religion. Imagine, you're going to be an empathetic and compassionate physician, correct?

I'm not using any sources, that has just been my experience while staying in the both central Israel and the Negev. I really don't appreciate you trying to politicize a simple comment. It sounds like you've also ever been to the middle east and that you are also biased (admittedly, we all are), so please don't accuse me of "spreading false information". I am allowed to share my opinions, just as you are allowed to voice yours. All I was saying to @blazecl was that it doesn't hurt to apply. No one asked for your aggressive comments.

C'mon Samsung3, let's keep things friendly!

Hi ChemistryCat---I haven't been, but have traveled pretty extensively. I think I will throw my name in the hat for those same schools. I've applied so broadly in the US without any II yet, so I think it's time. For the BG II, where is it, NYC or Israel? Are you all applying as backup to US medical schools or because you want Israel schools? I'm curious to chat with you all!

You might as well apply and decide later if you're currently unsure. They also accept secondaries until way later in the cycle than most American schools, so you have time to think about it if the $95 application fee is deterring you. The interview is at their American offices in Manhattan. I'm applying to a bunch of US medical schools too! Feel free to check out my MDapps profile to see more specifics.

I'm not using any sources, that has just been my experience while staying in the both central Israel and the Negev. I really don't appreciate you trying to politicize a simple comment. It sounds like you've also ever been to the middle east and that you are also biased (admittedly, we all are), so please don't accuse me of "spreading false information". I am allowed to share my opinions, just as you are allowed to voice yours. All I was saying to @blazecl was that it doesn't hurt to apply. No one asked for your aggressive comments.

But you didn't just say that. You said the iron dome intercepts most missiles, which is simply not correct. Anyways, I guess you clarified that here by stating that is only your opinion.

And my comment should be evidence that I've certainly been to the middle east, albeit only to occupied land (as I am not allowed to cross the apartheid wall because of my race and religion), where I have experienced the daily roadblocks, guard towers, and illegal settlements built on the highest confiscated land (in order to be secure from those living below). So, again, I guess you're fine because it was just your opinion that I've never been to the middle east. Anyways, good luck ya'll. :)

Thanks ChemistryCat-I will take a look. I'm happy to have the information. I might PM you with more questions if you are ok with that?!

But you didn't just say that. You said the iron dome intercepts most missiles, which is simply not correct. Anyways, I guess you clarified that here by stating that is only your opinion.

And my comment should be evidence that I've certainly been to the middle east, albeit only to occupied land (as I am not allowed to cross the apartheid wall because of my race and religion), where I have experienced the daily roadblocks, guard towers, and illegal settlements built on the highest confiscated land (in order to be secure from those living below). So, again, I guess you're fine because it was just your opinion that I've never been to the middle east. Anyways, good luck ya'll. :)

Try to tone down whatever emotion it is you're feeding off of and answer me this: do you think that non-Jewish students who attend Israeli medical schools would be discriminated against by future muslim/Middle Eastern colleagues?

Last edited:
What's your opinion on non-Jewish students attending Israeli universities just for the education? Do you think that we'd be systematically discriminated against by muslim/Middle Eastern colleagues in the future because we're associated with what you're describing?

First, since you asked about non-Jewish students, I am assuming you might think my opinion differ for Jews. It does not. I would like to clarify one thing. I have nothing against Jews. I have Jewish friends, and Jews have been arguably some of the most influential/innovative people since ancient time.

I am for logic and reasoning. I will not discriminate against what you describe when I am a professional. It is all about what you believe in. However, some people might due to the mere fact that you were Israeli educated, because this may "hint" at your personal opinions and biases. Do you believe in ethnic cleansing and occupation? Do you agree with the following statement?

"We must expel the Arabs and take their places and if we have to use force, to guarantee our own right to settle in those places then we have force at our disposal."
- Ben Gurion

Personally, for the rest of my life, I rather not be known as "John Doe, MD Graduate of Ben Gurion University"

I would rather my alma mater's name, founder, associations, and region believe in equal rights for all people, regardless of race, religion, and ethnicity. No one is superior. These are simple morals and ethics that I will be implementing as a professional.

First, since you asked about non-Jewish students, I am assuming you might think my opinion differ for Jews. It does not. I would like to clarify one thing. I have nothing against Jews. I have Jewish friends, and Jews have been arguably some of the most influential/innovative people since ancient time.

I am for logic and reasoning. I will not discriminate against what you describe when I am a professional. It is all about what you believe in. However, some people might due to the mere fact that you were Israeli educated, because this may "hint" at your personal opinions and biases. Do you believe in ethnic cleansing and occupation? Do you agree with the following statement?

"We must expel the Arabs and take their places and if we have to use force, to guarantee our own right to settle in those places then we have force at our disposal."
- Ben Gurion

Personally, for the rest of my life, I rather not be known as "John Doe, MD Graduate of Ben Gurion University"

I would rather my alma mater's name, founder, associations, and region believe in equal rights for all people, regardless of race, religion, and ethnicity. No one is superior. These are simple morals and ethics that I will be implementing as a professional.

Hmm. Thanks for the well-thought out response, there. Instead of systematically responding to your points, I'm going to think over what you said.

Anyhow, I lived in Little Persia (Westwood, CA) for 4 years, and felt like some of the people there were pretty anti-Israeli, and possibly anti-Semitic. And as I'm sure you know, there are a lot of muslim and/or Middle Eastern physicians in the US.

Really, though, these Israeli medical schools are decent. Equal to or better than some DO schools, even. Just don't bomb me if I go, bro.

Last edited:
Hmm. Thanks for the well-thought out response, there. Instead of systematically responding to your points, I'm going to think over what you said.

Anyhow, I lived in Little Persia (Westwood, CA) for 4 years, and felt like some of the people there were pretty anti-Israeli, and possibly anti-Semitic. And as I'm sure you know, there are a lot of muslim and/or Middle Eastern physicians in the US.

Really, though, some of these Israeli medical schools are pretty good. Just don't bomb me if I go, bro.

Lol.

Yes, for those less-informed, anti-Zionism can be easily mistaken for anti-Semitism. Also, those who you say seem pretty anti-Israeli (assuming most are Arabs), better not be anti-Semitic, or else they're anti-self. LOL.

Anyways, if you have decent stats, I'm sure you can get into an American school. Good luck with the cycle. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi, for those of you who interviewed, how did the interview go? Any acceptances so far? I'm interested in applying and would love to hear your thoughts!

Hi, for those of you who interviewed, how did the interview go? Any acceptances so far? I'm interested in applying and would love to hear your thoughts!

I didn't interview yet but based on previous year and their websites, they don't give out any acceptances until March or so.

I didn't interview yet but based on previous year and their websites, they don't give out any acceptances until March or so.

I interviewed on October 15 and they told us that we would have a decision by around Thanksgiving

Good luck Chemistry Cat! I'd love to hear how the interview was for you. Did you like what you saw?

Good luck Chemistry Cat! I'd love to hear how the interview was for you. Did you like what you saw?

Thanks! Well the interview day is definitely unconventional, because they can't exactly show you around the hospital or the school. Thankfully I've actually been to Ben Gurion and to Soroka so I know what everything looks like so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. Everyone was very friendly though. It was super relaxed. You have 2 faculty interviewers who talk to you. One of my interviews lasted almost an hour and the other lasted about half an hour.

Hello everyone! I was just accepted into msih and was wondering if anyone heard back yet and what your thoughts are about the school. I am pretty excited about this school but am also applying to usa d.o. schools and just wondered what people thought about msih vs d.o. Congrats to anyone accepted!

Hello everyone! I was just accepted into msih and was wondering if anyone heard back yet and what your thoughts are about the school. I am pretty excited about this school but am also applying to usa d.o. schools and just wondered what people thought about msih vs d.o. Congrats to anyone accepted!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Hey CC. I interviewed on oct. 1. When did you interview?

I interviewed on Oct 15. I'm actually also struggling to find out which stigma is considered worse, international or DO. I would recommend posting a thread about the two stigmas in the pre-allopathic forum, that's what I was going to do if I got into MSIH and was trying to decide. I was recently accepted to TUN but I think I would go to MSIH over them because I'd really like to do an allopathic residency and it's a lot easier with an MD. But I am also from Israel so it would be a lot less of an adjustment, so I don't necessarily have that to consider. How does MSIH rank on your list?

I interviewed on Oct 15. I'm actually also struggling to find out which stigma is considered worse, international or DO. I would recommend posting a thread about the two stigmas in the pre-allopathic forum, that's what I was going to do if I got into MSIH and was trying to decide. I was recently accepted to TUN but I think I would go to MSIH over them because I'd really like to do an allopathic residency and it's a lot easier with an MD. But I am also from Israel so it would be a lot less of an adjustment, so I don't necessarily have that to consider. How does MSIH rank on your list?
Is tun touro? If so I applied there as well and if I had to decide between the two schools I would pick msih as well. I think I will take your advice and post a question on that forum. But if you don't mind me asking, if you are from Israel, and I believe BGU has a six year medical degree for Israeli citizens, why did you apply to MSIH? Were you attracted to its curriculum? Location? Also since you had the privilege to see the school in person, how does it compare to US medical schools in regards to facilities and technology? MSIH is pretty high up there on my list but then again studying in USA would be easier and cheaper for me. So although it may be less of a stigma than a middling level DO school, would the cost and grief of studying abroad be worth the effort? These are things I must consider and research. But I'll be honest the unique opportunity that MSIH provides over other schools does appeal to me.

Is tun touro? If so I applied there as well and if I had to decide between the two schools I would pick msih as well. I think I will take your advice and post a question on that forum. But if you don't mind me asking, if you are from Israel, and I believe BGU has a six year medical degree for Israeli citizens, why did you apply to MSIH? Were you attracted to its curriculum? Location? Also since you had the privilege to see the school in person, how does it compare to US medical schools in regards to facilities and technology? MSIH is pretty high up there on my list but then again studying in USA would be easier and cheaper for me. So although it may be less of a stigma than a middling level DO school, would the cost and grief of studying abroad be worth the effort? These are things I must consider and research. But I'll be honest the unique opportunity that MSIH provides over other schools does appeal to me.

I am an Israeli citizen but definitely don't have good enough hebrew to be go to their actual school. I'm conversationally fluent but my reading and writing skills are not great. I can only really speak for Ben Gurion and Soroka hospital because I haven't been to the other Israeli schools, but the facilities are definitely more simple. They're not bad, but that's just how everything is built in Be'er Sheva. Soroka is huge though and a great teaching hospital. For me studying in Israel would also be about half the price but that's because I didn't get into a state school. Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me with questions about Israel or Be'er Sheva!

Hey there! Was just wondering if those accepted could post stats? Much appreciated!

Hey there! Was just wondering if those accepted could post stats? Much appreciated!
Hey fox. I interviewed oct 1 and was accepted nov 21. I had a 3.93 gpa and 8 ps, 13 bs, 11 vr on mcat. Hope this helps!

Hey Guys,

I'm a graduate of the program. I just wanted to say a few words about a few of the statements above. I loved my time there and I wish to return every day. Without question it was the best 4 years of my life. I'm currently in a top notch residency program in the US. I write this because so many of my friends who absolutely loved it there and are now in the best residency programs in the US never come to SDN and you guys don't get to see the love we have for our education and our experience in Israel.

First, don't take any of those comments above about Israel being on occupied land, etc. seriously. The land has a complex history and I can talk for days about this. If the questioner is really serious about "occupied land" then he/she should move away from America/Canada/Australia (or wherever the person is) because I can't think of a better example of true ethnic cleansing than those examples!

Second, Israel in terms of education is regarded very highly, and this is largely due to the accomplishments of Israeli universities (research powerhouses and Nobel prizes). In terms of DO vs International, I would ask yourself what kind of education do you want? In Israel, you will not just get a medical education. You will learn about language, culture, religion, etc. It may be an entirely transformative experience as it was for myself and many of my classmates. I currently work with grads from Columbia, Harvard, Yale, DO schools, Caribbean, France, England, Germany, Austria, India, Ireland etc. The truth is, we're all the same. Medical education is so standardized that there is very little in terms of the science of medicine that is different amongst medical colleges. How you are a physician will depend on you as an individual more than anything. The only difference I've noticed from my American counterparts is that those that I studied with were certainly more mature and adventurous than my colleagues in residency. If you have a genuine interest in the Holy Land, international health, or simply want to live abroad for 4 years (something you may not have the opportunity to do again), then by all means choose Israel. If you prefer living in the US, have little interest in Israel and the region, little interest in language/culture/religion/international health, then the US (state, private, or DO) might be the best choice for you.

I hope that helps!!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Guys,

I'm a graduate of the program. I just wanted to say a few words about a few of the statements above. I loved my time there and I wish to return every day. Without question it was the best 4 years of my life. I'm currently in a top notch residency program in the US. I write this because so many of my friends who absolutely loved it there and are now in the best residency programs in the US never come to SDN and you guys don't get to see the love we have for our education and our experience in Israel.

First, don't take any of those comments above about Israel being on occupied land, etc. seriously. The land has a complex history and I can talk for days about this. If the questioner is really serious about "occupied land" then he/she should move away from America/Canada/Australia (or wherever the person is) because I can't think of a better example of true ethnic cleansing than those examples!

Second, Israel in terms of education is regarded very highly, and this is largely due to the accomplishments of Israeli universities (research powerhouses and Nobel prizes). In terms of DO vs International, I would ask yourself what kind of education do you want? In Israel, you will not just get a medical education. You will learn about language, culture, religion, etc. It may be an entirely transformative experience as it was for myself and many of my classmates. I currently work with grads from Columbia, Harvard, Yale, DO schools, Caribbean, France, England, Germany, Austria, India, Ireland etc. The truth is, we're all the same. Medical education is so standardized that there is very little in terms of the science of medicine that is different amongst medical colleges. How you are a physician will depend on you as an individual more than anything. The only difference I've noticed from my American counterparts is that those that I studied with were certainly more mature and adventurous than my colleagues in residency. If you have a genuine interest in the Holy Land, international health, or simply want to live abroad for 4 years (something you may not have the opportunity to do again), then by all means choose Israel. If you prefer living in the US, have little interest in Israel and the region, little interest in language/culture/religion/international health, then the US (state, private, or DO) might be the best choice for you.

I hope that helps!!

No. Nothing's complex about it. There are a people who believe they are superior to all other races and religions and believe a specific land is for them to keep. (In my opinion, any physician anywhere who holds this view should not become a doctor and instead join the Israeli Occupation Forces.) Pre-1917, all religions lived there peacefully. The Zionist ideology ruined that. In the end, I don't fret, because the natives of that land will not become like the natives of "America/Canada/Australia", as you speak. They are not going anywhere. They will not forgive. They will not forget. To say that so-called Israel is in a peacefully secure situation as is "America/Canada/Australia" is naive, at the very least.

Read your argument in your second paragraph. It is the typical flawed argument that Zionists play when referring to occupation: "Oh, well, look at all these other people who've gone to war, occupied, and ethnically cleansed. It's Ok. Don't blame Zionism. Everyone in the past has done it. It's no problem to displace a native population from their land because we believe we have a God-given right." Oh, please.

Take an Ethics course.

Rejected after interview? What? They made like I fit the profile perfectly at my interview.

Rejected after interview? What? They made like I fit the profile perfectly at my interview.

I'm sorry to hear that! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed and when you got the rejection email from them?

I'm sorry to hear that! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed and when you got the rejection email from them?

I interviewed in November. I got the rejection today. World-traveller, volunteered in various countries, know Israel very well, passionate about global medicine, stats match averages, been told I am excellent at interviews. Im kind of shocked?

Both interviews said they looked forward to getting to know me when I become a student also.

I am hoping I get an interview to Ben Gurion MSIH. It is my first choice. My MCAT scores just came in so it may be awhile before my application is evaluated. My MCAT scores were not as great as I would have liked. P 9, B 11, V 11. My grades are science gpa and reg gpa 3.65. I have immense experience in global health. I am hopeful. I will be elated if I get an interview.

I interviewed in November. I got the rejection today. World-traveller, volunteered in various countries, know Israel very well, passionate about global medicine, stats match averages, been told I am excellent at interviews. Im kind of shocked?

Both interviews said they looked forward to getting to know me when I become a student also.
So sorry to hear that. I haven't gotten an interview yet so you got further than me. You have stats like me. Regroup and apply next year to many schools. Hang in there.

when I worked and was a student at Harvard Medical school they liked Israeli and German medical grads from foreign schools. It also depends on I'd they know you. If you can't do an elective rotation, try elective research. Those were the ones that got slots anyway.

Gosh I have been checking across Indian Country, territory for American Indians. Usually for AM AS schools and DO schools about 75 American Indians apply. About 25-35 are admitted to allopathic schools. Another 15+ to DO schools. They mostly attend American Indian programs in North Dakota, Arizona. Some at Oklahoma, and Minnesota. If I were lucky enough to get in I would be the first to go to a foreign school. Kind of neat. I am going to pray and keep my fingers crossed. We are 3-4% of the population, but not many physicians. It would be neat to show Indian Country to have no fear going abroad.

Have an interviewed scheduled at the campus in Beersheva... Just wondering does anyone know what the acceptance rate at this school is? How many do they accept out of those who are invited for interviews?

This is my first choice school so I'm really hoping to get an acceptance. Any interview advice would be much appreciated :)

Have an interviewed scheduled at the campus in Beersheva... Just wondering does anyone know what the acceptance rate at this school is? How many do they accept out of those who are invited for interviews?

This is my first choice school so I'm really hoping to get an acceptance. Any interview advice would be much appreciated :)
I Don't know. I have heard the interviewers are very nice in NYC, but that doesn't help you in beer Sheva. Good luck though. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.