2014-2015 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemistry Cat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this program already so I decided to start one. Good luck to everyone else out there who is applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything back from them? Any updates?

I got an email when they received all my materials but other than that it's been silent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email when they received all my materials but other than that it's been silent.
Any movement lately? It does look like they don't move as quickly as most of the US schools, based on previous years' posts.

Any movement lately? It does look like they don't move as quickly as most of the US schools, based on previous years' posts.

Yeah I haven't heard anything from them yet and from what I've seen in previous years, they do start interviews much later than US schools

I got an email with II on October 1. Interview scheduled for November 6th in NYC. Very excited. anyone else going to be there at that time?

i got an interview invite here last week, was complete mid september

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied early-mid October. Got an II earlier this week. cGPA 3.71, MCAT 38. Chose to wait and be interviewed in Toronto (where I'm living). Really looking forward to the opportunity of learning more about the university and the program.

does everyone that applies get interviewed? I don't think i've seen a single post with a pre-interview rejection (past years threads). Does anyone know?

does everyone that applies get interviewed? I don't think i've seen a single post with a pre-interview rejection (past years threads). Does anyone know?

It's hard to know because the sample size is so small. I applied very early to this program and haven't been given an interview (so I don't think I will). I doubt they interview everyone who applies.

MS1 here at Sackler. As someone who frequented the Sackler SDN forum throughout last year, happy to answer any questions.

MS1 here at Sackler. As someone who frequented the Sackler SDN forum throughout last year, happy to answer any questions.

Hey, thanks for reaching out. Can you give some interview advice? Also, any idea if they give everyone interviews? or what the ratio of interviees/accepted?

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for reaching out. Can you give some interview advice? Also, any idea if they give everyone interviews? or what the ratio of interviees/accepted?

Thanks!
For the interview, in addition to the typical medical school interview questions, I would just be prepared with specific reasons why you are willing/interested in being in Israel for medical school.

As for interviews invites/acceptances, specific numbers are not told to us, but I would say the percentage of people who apply that get IIs from Sackler is higher than the average at medical schools in the US. Sorry that isn't super helpful.

Thanks for reaching out! Can you let us know a bit about your experiences so far? What is the school like? How has the adjustment been?

For those interviewing in Toronto, have you been contacted to set a date? I was just told we would be interviewed early december, but no word from Sackler since then...

Thanks for reaching out! Can you let us know a bit about your experiences so far? What is the school like? How has the adjustment been?

No problem. Having been to Israel before, my notable experiences/adjustment has had a lot more to do with adjusting to the work load of medical school rather than living in a new country. In general, everything has been going well. While the academics may be challenging, the Sackler community is great.

The med school building itself sits in the northeast corner of Tel Aviv University right next to the dental school and other health/life science buildings. The "NY State/American Program" occupies half of the second floor of the building which includes administrative offices, a student lounge, and the lecture hall for MS2's. The MS1 lecture hall is in the other half of the second floor. Typically most of our lectures keep us on this floor, but we do venture up or down for various labs.

Does Sackler take grade replacement or does it do GPA the same way as the AMCAS?

Does Sackler take grade replacement or does it do GPA the same way as the AMCAS?
That question might be better suited for someone in the NY Office.

As far as I remember, you enter your grades on the Sackler application in a similar fashion as on AMCAS and send in an official copy to the NY Office as well.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if this is an inappropriate question for this forum but I couldn't find a class profile online and was wondering if I still had a shot at matriculating here in 2015 if I was in the process of applying now and had roughly a 3.5/3.6 gpa and 33 MCAT plus solid extracurricular experiences?

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if this is an inappropriate question for this forum but I couldn't find a class profile online and was wondering if I still had a shot at matriculating here in 2015 if I was in the process of applying now and had roughly a 3.5/3.6 gpa and 33 MCAT plus solid extracurricular experiences?
Sounds like a valid candidate profile to me. Sackler definitely does not adhere to the typical rush for early applications like programs in the US. There are people in the class that applied even late winter/early spring. So anyone reading this and questioning whether or not to apply, you have more time to decide. Of course, those with earlier applications may hear back earlier and if competitiveness continues to increase, as it has for the past few years, submitting sooner may be beneficial.

@Zito2002 , as for the grade replacement, I have heard nothing claiming that it isn't accepted. The NY Office phone number is in the contact section of the website and it is pretty easy to talk to someone there during business hours.

Reactions: 1 user
It seemed in previous years that a Sackler took students with MCAT scores below a 30 (29 perhaps). Is this still possible? Or is it likely much more competitive now?

Also, if you interviewed, what are the chances of acceptance?

It seemed in previous years that a Sackler took students with MCAT scores below a 30 (29 perhaps). Is this still possible? Or is it likely much more competitive now?

Also, if you interviewed, what are the chances of acceptance?

Like MithranDR, I'm also a first year at Sackler. The admission process is becoming a bit more competitive with each class, but scoring below a 29/30 on your MCAT should definitely not discourage you from applying– Sackler's AdCom is not just looking to see how well you can take a test. They want to see that you will be able to handle a medical school workload, and will be able to adjust to life abroad.

Obviously, the earlier you apply, the better your chances are, but in general, chances of acceptance are higher than at many US schools, and it really depends on when you interview, and whether you interview well.

I received a few messages from people applying to Sackler, and I hope that I will be able to answer these and others for those of you visiting this forum looking for information.

Let me just start out by saying that Sackler is different– not in a bad way, but in noticeable ones. The most obvious difference between US schools and Sackler is that it is located in Israel. It can be tough being so far from your family and friends, and there will occasionally be challenges due to the language barrier (although most people in Tel Aviv speak English, dealing with customer service is already difficult enough when you're speaking the same language). The Israeli people also tend to be more brusque, adopting a "push and shove, you'll get there faster" mentality. However, they are also a very open, inviting people, and will often go out of their way to help you if you need it– someone who just pushed you out of the way to get to the cashier first may very well turn around and ask for your life story as if you’d been friends for years, and subsequently invite you to join their family for dinner.

The school’s administration also exhibits some of these same characteristics– they are very friendly, but will sometimes wait until the last minute to get things done (e.g., when determining class schedules). This can be frustrating for those who are used to having things set in stone way ahead of time, but things have a way of working out in the end. Although this can be challenging, it also means that when you graduate, you’ll be much better able to deal with inconsistencies and last-minute changes than your peers who graduated from US schools.

As far as the academic differences between Sackler and US med schools, your education at Sackler will be as good as the education you would receive at a school back in the US or Canada. Students applying for residencies in major US cities (especially along the East Coast) will find that the school is well–known and respected in those locations (although students applying for residencies elsewhere may need to work a bit harder to prove themselves). In order for graduating students to be treated as American graduates, Sackler students take NBME shelf exams at the end of each block to prove competency with the subject material required for the USMLE Step 1. Students must pass these exams to pass the course, which can be stressful, but as these exams are based directly on material provided by the NBME, these exams allow Sackler students to become familiar with the USMLE question styles and format.

Despite what you may have heard on major media outlets, Israel is very safe, and Tel Aviv is considered to be as safe or safer than most other international cities. Something that students also find at Sackler is that, due to a combination of being in med school and being in Israel, there is a lot of camaraderie between peers. The extended, two-week orientation period will help you get your bearings, and also lets you get to know your classmates better than you would even after a year together.

Now, about applications/interviews. If you’re applying to Sackler, make sure you have good LORs from people who know you well and have seen you work in science. The big thing they want to see is that you will be able to handle the sustained workload/stress of med school, and that you will be able to do so while also juggling the additional challenges that come with it (i.e., maintaining balance socially, emotionally, academically, etc.) and with living in Israel.

By the time you get to the interview, there's not too much you can do that you haven't done already. Make sure you can answer "why medicine?" and all the other basic interview questions. If you have any red flags on your application, be able to address them. Know what makes you special, and practice answering interview questions with friends or professors. Most of my classmates had very easy, stress-free interviews, whereas my interview was actually more of a standard interview. They want to make sure you will be able to succeed in med school, and will be able to handle living abroad in Israel. Be able to represent yourself well, and explain why you want Sackler/Israel. Don't just tell them that you'll be able to handle it– let them come to that conclusion themselves by the way you talk and the stories you tell.

Like any other interview, remember to look and act appropriately– as a medical student, you are considered a professional, and the admissions committee will choose to accept people who exemplify what they feel Sackler is supposed to be. Wear a suit, pay attention to hygiene, shake hands, remember names, take notes, and be *appropriately* confident (cockiness will not be looked favorably upon). You never know who will influence the decision to accept you, so be polite to everyone you meet, whether it’s someone holding the door for you, offering you a cup of water, or performing your interview (although you should always do this anyway). I wrote a thank-you letter after my interview, and called about a week or so later to follow up my letter, but mostly I had to sit tight and keep my fingers crossed until I heard back. I also had my PI write a second LOR for me, which he sent directly to Sackler. Be aware that the turnaround time for IIs is highly variable, as is the time it will take to hear back after you’ve interviewed. Be patient, be productive, and don’t “place all your eggs in one basket.”

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Just interviewed here. The interviewer told me that they will start sending out acceptances in February

Me too. Interviewer told me Mid-Feb through March should be the first wave of acceptances...

Does anyone have a sense of where they are in their interviews for this year? I've been hoping very much to hear from Sackler; complete in early September and no word since. I know they are on a different schedule from the US schools, so I'm still holding out a bit of hope!

Does anyone have a sense of where they are in their interviews for this year? I've been hoping very much to hear from Sackler; complete in early September and no word since. I know they are on a different schedule from the US schools, so I'm still holding out a bit of hope!

You should call/email them, maybe your app is missing something and they didn't tell you.

So many nerves ! Anyone know the likelihood of acceptance once interviewed?

For anyone who interviewed in NY-what was the day like? How long? Just an interview, or presentations and other such? Thanks!

Last edited:
just a ~45 min interview. nothing else really

Yeah, same here. About 30-40 minutes, very conversational, they show you a short video about Sackler and then you go on to the interview, and you're done. (and then you wait.... and wait... and wait... for the decision)

Hey everyone! I learned about Sackler literally earlier today and just decided to apply. It seems like Sackler's application cycle goes later in the year than the stateside schools but hopefully I am not too late to be a realistic candidate! I was wondering if you all catered your personal statement to Sackler/Israel or used your same personal statement from the AMCAS?

Hey everyone! I learned about Sackler literally earlier today and just decided to apply. It seems like Sackler's application cycle goes later in the year than the stateside schools but hopefully I am not too late to be a realistic candidate! I was wondering if you all catered your personal statement to Sackler/Israel or used your same personal statement from the AMCAS?
I had to change mine slightly because the character limits are different. You have less for the sackler app. But, mine wasn't tailored to Sackler...I just had to cut some things out

I had to change mine slightly because the character limits are different. You have less for the sackler app. But, mine wasn't tailored to Sackler...I just had to cut some things out
Ahh okay I didn't notice yet that the character limit was different. Thanks!

Hey, Im finishing up my app, and I need some advice. For the E.Cs/summer activities/employment section, should I include that I have shadowed physicians? I do mention in my personal statement that I shadowed... but do think its important enough to mention as its own entry? I have done 100+ hrs...