2014-2015 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the Tucson thread right? There's already a thread for Phoenix

Members don't see this ad :)
applying here IS. UofA alum last May 2013. Tucson is a great place to study and be outdoors! good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

has anyone received secondaries yet from this school I know Phoenix has sent there first batch out.

Just received the secondary!

Secondary received, OOS (CA)

Just received my secondary as well! OOS :)

Just got an invite for the secondary. OOS

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Just got secondary. Does any have any idea what the last prompt means:

"Describe the effect that your experiences engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words) "

As in trying to develop your own diversity? Or engaging people who are diverse/from different cultures? I feel like there could multiple meaning in this prompt...

I interpreted it as how did working with people different from yourself impact you and make you the person you are today.

I interpreted it as how did working with people different from yourself impact you and make you the person you are today.

Thanks I figured that's what it meant, but who wants to write an essay just to have it not match the prompt :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got secondary. Does any have any idea what the last prompt means:

"Describe the effect that your experiences engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words) "

As in trying to develop your own diversity? Or engaging people who are diverse/from different cultures? I feel like there could multiple meaning in this prompt...

Do you mind posting all the prompts? Thx!

Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health profession. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (If you have little to no clinical experience, please talk about a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else.)

Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? When faced with a challenge in your life, how has thinking it over allowed you to move forward?

A key part of the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine is to train physicians to address healthcare disparities in the United States. What role will you play in addressing healthcare disparities in the United States?

Describe the effect that your experiences engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.

350 word limit for each

Secondary received, OOS as well

How stringent is the screen for the secondary? I got one as an OOS, but am just curious!

Posted using SDN Mobile

How stringent is the screen for the secondary? I got one as an OOS, but am just curious!

Posted using SDN Mobile
I called a few weeks ago because I was worried that with my GPA I would be screened out. They said MCAT screen is 24 and GPA is 3.00, but under some circumstances it can be as low as 2.75. However,
I'm not sure what the circumstances would be.

They dont look at MCAT - out of the 19 schools I've applied to 11 sent me secondaries even though my MCAT score doesn't post until July 13th. I also got a secondary here without an MCAT score, now if you have an MCAT lower than 24 (which in that case I don't think it'd be worth applying) then I guess that'll be a cut off for you. But I doubt even 1% of their applicants fit into that category.

Secondary submitted - now the torture begins...

For the prompt about a meaningful experience in the health profession, it says when "working or volunteering", but I'm thinking if an instance when I was shadowing a physician. I can't imagine they would disregard that, but what does everyone think? Still use it even though I wasn't "working/volunteering"?

For the prompt about a meaningful experience in the health profession, it says when "working or volunteering", but I'm thinking if an instance when I was shadowing a physician. I can't imagine they would disregard that, but what does everyone think? Still use it even though I wasn't "working/volunteering"?
yes it should be fine...i'm using my hospice volunteering

IS, Just got my AMCAS verified two hours ago - my first secondary! So excited to hopefully get an II and check out the school! :clap:

Does anyone know how much information they share with Phoenix? I applied to both and I feel I can adjust some of my essays to fit these, but I don't want to do that if they share their stuff.

Hey friends, do any of you see a "Your application fee has been waived" statement on the "Application fee" tab? Very confused as to why it would say that since I don't have FAP or anything... plus there is still a red exclamation mark above saying "This page is incomplete..."

Hmm... that is weird. I got the fee waiver because I received it from AMCAS. I think I would call them to make sure that's correct just so it doesn't look like you're trying to get away like a bandit lol

Does anyone know how much information they share with Phoenix? I applied to both and I feel I can adjust some of my essays to fit these, but I don't want to do that if they share their stuff.

Wondering this as well.

Im pretty sure they don't share anything. I believe they're completely separate systems. However, the assistant dean can answer that for you on the Phoenix forum.

For the health disparities in the US question, what are people writing about? Is it as simple as saying volunteering in under served areas and teaching those at greater risk preventative techniques? Or are they looking for an elaborate way to change health care?

Thanks!

I figured it was a souped up "tell us how you serve the underserved" question

I am guessing it is an opportunity to both express how you've served the underserved (if applicable), knowledge of a language to communicate with groups considered underserved, or if you do not possess those skills or experience - perhaps demonstrate an understanding of the current realities of healthcare disparities and how you envision yourself addressing them in your career? This is definitely the most difficult question (IMHO) on the 2ndary.

Gotta get this app in today! Wrote prompts 1 and 3. I am stuck on 2 but will get in done today. 18 day turnaround. Ouch.
Yeah I just submitted mine this morning. We're still pretty early though. Also, I talked to the admissions office and they said they consider your for an II as soon as you have your secondary in. You just need to have your LORs in BEFORE your actual interview date.

Any idea when the first interview invites will go out? Seems like it was early August last year.

Did you guys reach the word limit on most of your responses? I'm hoping mine aren't too short :lame:

Submitted. I hope to get an interview here. One of my top choices.
OOS, but definitely one of my top choices. I feel like I've seen you on every school-specific thread I've also been applying to. Here's to getting some interviews :xf:

Hi guys. I'm still getting verified by AAMC, so I haven't gotten a secondary from Tucson yet. Thanks for posting the questions! Is there a question on the secondary for returning applicants, asking if they have done anything different since they last applied? Could someone please let me know:)

Yes there is. If you select Yes to the radio question a box appears: "If you are a returning applicant, please share what you have done since you last applied. (Limit: 350 words)"

Technically I am a reapplicant, but not to this school so I think I'm marking this as no.

For this prompt, does failure in lab research count as non-academic?
Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? When faced with a challenge in your life, how has thinking it over allowed you to move forward?

For this prompt, does failure in lab research count as non-academic?
Id count that as academic. You can say you failed to understand the prompt?

I'm really having difficulty with these essays for some reason. These are some of the more specific essay questions I've seen so far...