2014-2015 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you previously applied to The University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix? If answered yes, why do you feel you are a stronger applicant this year? (required, 350 words max)

After learning more about our mission and values as a medical school, share how you fit within the UA Phoenix Med culture. (required, 350 words max)

Elaborate on what has occurred in the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine. (required, 350 words max)

What unique or challenging factors in your background (childhood/adulthood) have enhanced your character? (required, 350 words max)

What is important to you that you want to make sure the Admissions Committee knows about you that is not already included in your application? (required, 350 words max)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm applying here!

Does anyone know the pre clinical grading scheme? Is it the same as Tuscon?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my dream school but the 400 interviews to 80 spots is kind of discouraging. Good luck to everyone though!!

Do they take Canadians? I can't find a clear answer. Tuscon's website says you have to be in the process of gaining permanent residency while you apply... but it's fine to have a Canadian UG degree

The college seeks a diverse pool of applicants with U.S. citizenship or with permanent resident visa status, who are determined to contribute to our mission and who embrace our core value of diversity.

No less than 50 percent of the entering class shall be comprised of residents from Arizona. This includes Native Americans who reside on reservations contiguous with the state of Arizona, along with applicants from Montana and Wyoming as part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). The remaining 50 percent may be considered from all other states.

Doesn't exactly answer your question... but it I guess visa status is what they're looking for.

Applying here! I'm technically OOS but from the Navajo Nation.

Applying OOS! Excited about this school!

wish these guys didn't require physiology :( guess I won't be applying

applying here IS! good luck to everybody!

Welcome to the 2015-2015 application cycle! I hope to meet many of you over the course of the season, but until then I would like to introduce myself. I'm Dr. Cunningham, Assistant Dean for the Office of Admissions & Recruitment and Assistant Professor at the COM-Phoenix. I've been in Phoenix since 2006, the start of our four-year program, and the class for which you are applying will be my 9th class. Our program has grown from 24 to 80 students and our campus has expanded (still is) in the thriving and lively downtown Phoenix biomedical science corridor.

I'm here to answer your questions about our two programs: MD and graduate certificate (aka Pathway Scholars). Pathways is for Arizona-only, while MD is open to anyone who is a US Citizen or has Permanent Residency.

You are always welcome to call or email our office - visit phoenixmed.arizona.edu for contact and other helpful information about our selection criteria and application process.

Remember to breathe through the process and be responsible for your own information. We're here to help!!

We will post our newest MD class stats once they arrive on July 7. Pathway Scholars begin on June 23.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Applied here OOS with family ties, hoping for some love! Good luck everyone applying and as @UA Phoenix Med Dr. Cunningham said "remember to breathe..."

Applying OOS depending on mcat... Best of luck to all!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Will taking BIO 160 (Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology) at a Maricopa community college fulfill the A+P requirement?

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Will taking BIO 160 (Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology) at a Maricopa community college fulfill the A+P requirement?

Yes, A&P courses from any accredited community college and/or university that is focused on mammals (not botany!) satisfies the requirement.

Hey guys,

How does Zona treat multiple MCATs? Superscore, most recent, best score, etc.?

Hey guys,

How does Zona treat multiple MCATs? Superscore, most recent, best score, etc.?

While all scores can be viewed, we tend to default to most recent and look for a positive, upward trend over the series of exams. Overall score, followed second by the BS section are most important as a way to predict future success on standardized exams (boards). You'll have the opportunity to explain the MCAT approach and study habits during the secondary and interview.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
While all scores can be viewed, we tend to default to most recent and look for a positive, upward trend over the series of exams. Overall score, followed second by the BS section are most important as a way to predict future success on standardized exams (boards). You'll have the opportunity to explain the MCAT approach and study habits during the secondary and interview.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Along these same lines, how is a lower GPA with a strong upward trend viewed? i.e. One bad semester freshman year on generals, since then on dean's list, A's on most every pre-req, one or two B's.

Along these same lines, how is a lower GPA with a strong upward trend viewed? i.e. One bad semester freshman year on generals, since then on dean's list, A's on most every pre-req, one or two B's.

That's a positive trend, which is the only trend you want to demonstrate. Some committee members had a rough start to college! Maturity, time management, study habits, etc can take time to develop, but not too long. One to two semesters is understandable.

Posted using SDN Mobile

That's a positive trend, which is the only trend you want to demonstrate. Some committee members had a rough start to college! Maturity, time management, study habits, etc can take time to develop, but not too long. One to two semesters is understandable.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Thanks for the info! Yeah I hope my positive trend and PS can accurately reflect that! Glad to know there is a lot of understanding with that.

Just out of curiosity, when do secondaries normally come out for complete applicants? First batch of interview invites? I'm just trying to provide structure to the applying process.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, when do secondaries normally come out for complete applicants? First batch of interview invites? I'm just trying to provide structure to the applying process.

Thanks!

AMCAS submits the first batch of verified applications to medical schools on Friday, nationally. We will remit supplemental application invites daily and interview invites will be sent in mid-July. First interview day is August 11 through January.

We review daily, invite daily. First round of admission offers will be released on October 16, the first day, nationally, medical schools are permitted to offer admission.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
AMCAS submits the first batch of verified applications to medical schools on Friday, nationally. We will remit supplemental application invites daily and interview invites will be sent in mid-July. First interview day is August 11 through January.

We review daily, invite daily. First round of admission offers will be released on October 16, the first day, nationally, medical schools are permitted to offer admission.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thanks a lot! It's really great that U of A's reputation is growing, especially on a research level. I have heard from sources that you require research during pre-clinicals for all matriculants. I'm just curious if you can confirm/elaborate on that.

Thanks again for all of your help

Thanks a lot! It's really great that U of A's reputation is growing, especially on a research level. I have heard from sources that you require research during pre-clinicals for all matriculants. I'm just curious if you can confirm/elaborate on that.

Thanks again for all of your help

Good morning! All COM-Phoenix medical students complete a four-year scholarly project in an area of interest with the guidance and a mentor/PI - the topic is developed over the first-year and then the project design (methodology) determines the next phase (some students spend the last block of the first year collecting data, etc).

Posted using SDN Mobile

Applying here IS, 30 min from home and awesome weather! Just over the average in MCAT and just under in GPA hope that puts me in a good place for admission. Good luck to everyone in the application process! =)

Dr. Cunningham, is it possible to take physiology in the summer 2015 if applying this year?

Dr. Cunningham, is it possible to take physiology in the summer 2015 if applying this year?

All coursework needs to be completed, graded and on a final transcript by the end of the spring term/quarter. Med school orientation starts in late June for us, which rules out a summer term course and classes begin the first week of July.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Do your MCAT scores need to have posted in order to get a secondary?

Thanks

Do your MCAT scores need to have posted in order to get a secondary?

Thanks

Yes, a score of 22 or higher from within the last 3 years must be recorded in order to be reviewed for a Supplemental Application.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Opening day! Received more than 1,000 applications today (40% increase from opening day last year).

We are excited to meet you all this year and will begin remitting Supplementals later today, and daily through our December deadline. I have sent the essay prompts to the thread creator.

We cannot stress enough the importance of the Supp App - be sure to "answer" the questions and do not include information, verbatim, already listed in AMCAS. Imagine sitting across the table from a committee member and explaining your interest and fit into our school. Proofread!!! No changes will be allowed and this is the last chance to impress before we select for an interview.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Dr. Cunningham,

I have a question regarding the Pathway Scholars Program.

I am not currently an Arizona resident, but by the time the Pathway Scholars Program begins I will have lived in Phoenix for one year and will therefore be considered a resident according to the Arizona Board of Regents. Am I eligible to apply for this program, or do I need to be a resident at the time of my application submission.

Also, I will be applying to the M.D. program. Will I be viewed as an in-state or out of state resident?

Thanks!!

Dr. Cunningham,

I have a question regarding the Pathway Scholars Program.

I am not currently an Arizona resident, but by the time the Pathway Scholars Program begins I will have lived in Phoenix for one year and will therefore be considered a resident according to the Arizona Board of Regents. Am I eligible to apply for this program, or do I need to be a resident at the time of my application submission.

Also, I will be applying to the M.D. program. Will I be viewed as an in-state or out of state resident?

Thanks!!

Great question.

First, you will have to decide which path you wish to seek admission at the time to submit your AMCAS - you can only submit the AMCAS to one program type at a time. If denied admission from the initial application, you may be eligible to switch your application type to the other program as long as you do so before the respective programs filing deadline. Oct 15 for MD, Nov 15 for Pathways.

We will consider you a resident of whichever state you designate on the AMCAS. If you are currently living in AZ and believe you will be considered a resident prior to matriculation (roughly mid-June), I would suggest you list AZ as your state of legal residence. Otherwise, we will review you as a nonresident and you'd be automatically denied for Pathways (deemed in eligible).

Posted using SDN Mobile

Great question.

First, you will have to decide which path you wish to seek admission at the time to submit your AMCAS - you can only submit the AMCAS to one program type at a time. If denied admission from the initial application, you may be eligible to switch your application type to the other program as long as you do so before the respective programs filing deadline. Oct 15 for MD, Nov 15 for Pathways.

We will consider you a resident of whichever state you designate on the AMCAS. If you are currently living in AZ and believe you will be considered a resident prior to matriculation (roughly mid-June), I would suggest you list AZ as your state of legal residence. Otherwise, we will review you as a nonresident and you'd be automatically denied for Pathways (deemed in eligible).

Posted using SDN Mobile[/QUOTE]

Dr. Cunningham,

Thank you for your quick response! If my lease begins July 1, would this be sufficient for gaining residency as UA Phoenix Med begins classes the following week?

Also, will it be beneficial for me to change my residency to Arizona for admissions purposes, or will I still be viewed less favorably compared to those that have lived in Arizona their entire life?

Great question.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Dr. Cunningham,

Thank you for your quick response! If my lease begins July 1, would this be sufficient for gaining residency as UA Phoenix Med begins classes the following week?

Also, will it be beneficial for me to change my residency to Arizona for admissions purposes, or will I still be viewed less favorably compared to those that have lived in Arizona their entire life?[/QUOTE]

I cannot answer the first question with any authority or certainty. The Residency process is regulated by the University, not by our College.

Time spent in AZ is not a selection factor...

Posted using SDN Mobile

I just got a secondary for this school and I can't enter any text for the essay questions (it won't let me). Anyone else have this issue?

Announcement

It appears our application site is experiencing technical issues preventing any text entry into the supplemental application.

We will not likely have this fixed until our programmer gets to it on Monday and hope you'll work in the essays in the meantime.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Announcement

It appears our application site is experiencing technical issues preventing any text entry into the supplemental application.

We will not likely have this fixed until our programmer gets to it on Monday and hope you'll work in the essays in the meantime.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Our programmer is a machine!! Glitch is repaired and you should be good to go.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Did everyone receive the secondary already? Dr. Cunningham mentioned yesterday that secondaries would begin remitting later in the day, and it looks like someone also received secondary this morning. But I have not received anything. I am just wondering....

nada

Last edited:
Secondary received! I'm excited about applying and have U of A Phoenix at the top of my list--beautiful, exciting campus. Being IS and having lived in the Phoenix-metro area for nearly all my life, it'd be awesome to go here.

As to my fellow applicants and re-applicants I wish all you guys the best of luck this cycle!

Nonetheless, thank you Dr. Cunningham for devoting time to this thread on an annual basis and helping clarify applicants' questions.

Secondary received today!! So excited as UofA - Phoenix tops my list :love::love:

Good luck everyone!!

Top school on so many people's list! So many applicants and such few spots are slightly discouraging =l Hoping for the best! Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know additional details regarding the Pathway Scholars program in terms of tuition? Also, are 'ALL' Pathway Scholars required to take the MCAT again even if they have a score much higher than 22?

Just wanted to say that this is the prettiest (and most user-friendly) secondary I have received to date! Thank you, Phoenix.

Do they screen?