2014-2015 University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of the entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Additional Information. Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. We suggest that you limit your text to about 200 words.

If your school has a premedical committee or premedical advisor who composes a letter for each applicant from your school and you chose not to avail yourself of this service, please check the "Yes" button below and provide an explanation in the textbox below for your decision not to do so. We suggest you limit your text to about 200 words. Be sure to save and finalize your response. If you are availing yourself of your premedical committee/advisor letter or if you attend a university which does not offer this service, please check the "No" button below, leave the text "N/A" and then save and finalize your response.

Judicial History. Has any of your previous behavior(s) resulted in any review or action by a judicial committee? Have you ever received an Honor code and/or conduct violation at any time while enrolled as a full or part-time student? If yes to either question, please explain. We suggest you limit your text to about 200 words. Please review our Frequently Asked Questions if you are uncertain as to whether you should include something in this section.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone have any insight on Northwestern vs. Pritzker?

Applying here. Good luck everyone!

How bad are winters in Chicago?

Members don't see this ad :)

I was in Chicago briefly to change planes this past winter... It was 8 PM and like 4 degrees Fahrenheit (which is like the highest it had been all week for that time). Chicago winters are real.

Reactions: 1 user

I dislike the cold, and I have been able to tolerate the winters so far. If I'm okay with it, everyone else should be able to survive

I dislike the cold, and I have been able to tolerate the winters so far. If I'm okay with it, everyone else should be able to survive
That's a relief! How much time is dedicated for research at Pritzker?

Hi everyone,

I'm an up-and-coming Pritzker MS4 and will be following this thread to try and answer any questions. We also have several other students at various stages of their training that tend to chime in as well. Please ask anything you'd like and we'll do our best to answer.

As far as the winters: it does indeed get quite cold here. I moved up here from Texas, though, and have survived just fine. A good winter coat and winter clothing will get you through it. This winter was particularly brutal though...

Regarding the distinction between Feinberg and U of C, I didn't apply to Feinberg and know very little about the Northwestern system, so perhaps someone else who had exposure to both schools will offer their perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a relief! How much time is dedicated for research at Pritzker?

Most students participate in the Summer Research Program after MS1, which is a NIH-funded program here. Beyond that, you are free to participate in research as you're able and as time permits. There's time during MS1, MS2, and MS4 depending upon the nature of your project and your PI's expectations, but I would consider MS3 largely out in terms of research time with the exception of clinical projects that you can work on as you're available. At the end of MS2, there's also a one-month block dedicated to working on your Scholarship and Discovery Project, which is the required research component of the curriculum.

Really I think the main advantage of research opportunities at Pritzker is the SRP. The idea of doing research during the summer is by no means unique, but it has been institutionalized in a way that makes it extremely helpful for students. You essentially declare that you want to do the SRP, find a project either on your own or from a published handbook of projects that current faculty are looking for students to help them with, and get paid to do a summer full of research.

I think at many schools, though - and Pritzker is included in these - it's more up to you to determine how much time you want to dedicate to research projects than anything else. It's about making research a priority if that's your interest.

Basically looking for somebody who has interviewed at both and their pros/cons or reasons for choosing one over another.

I interviewed at both schools, and will be attending Northwestern. I was not accepted to Pritzker, but I think I would have chosen northwestern either way. Both are great schools, but I preferred northwestern's location downtown and I really like their new curriculum. People at both schools seemed very happy, so choosing between them really
depends on personal preference.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both schools, and will be attending Northwestern. I was not accepted to Pritzker, but I think I would have chosen northwestern either way. Both are great schools, but I preferred northwestern's location downtown and I really like their new curriculum. People at both schools seemed very happy, so choosing between them really

This seems to be a major factor in the decision. A lot of people are drawn in the NW's downtown location; if this is something you want, unfortunately I don't think U of C will be able to compete on that front, though I've lived in Hyde Park for all 3 years I've been here and have enjoyed it. There are also a not insignificant number of people who choose to live throughout the city (even so far as Rogers Park, which is on the northern border of the city) and commute for class/rotations. In other words: U of C being on the South Side does not preclude being in downtown, living in downtown, or taking advantage of the opportunities available in downtown.

if you don't mind me asking what were your stats?

i have a lower GPA and mcat (3.7 sGPA, 31 MCAT), 10th percentile at NW, definitely less than that for U of C. But i have excellent research experience (3 pubs, posters, oral pres, going on 5 years doing research). do either of these schools take into account heavy research? and would it be worth applying?

Basically looking for somebody who has interviewed at both and their pros/cons or reasons for choosing one over another.

Interviewed at both. Posters have already commented on location (NW is in a more desirable area which is very touristy) so I won't add to that, but in terms of curriculum, NW has a PBL heavy curriculum, and this was emphasized greatly on interview day. UofC has more of a traditional curriculum, which IMO affords more flexibility as lectures are not required while PBL sessions are mandatory at every school. NW's class size (160-170) is almost double that of UofC's (88); I personally feel that the smaller the class size, the better. Larger classes just feel impersonal. I cringe at the sight of class sizes which are >200. In terms of reputation, the schools are similar but UofC has a slight edge in academia.

Here are some threads comparing the two schools:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/feinberg-vs-pritzker.378495/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pritzker-vs-feinberg.258665/

i have a lower GPA and mcat (3.7 sGPA, 31 MCAT), 10th percentile at NW, definitely less than that for U of C. But i have excellent research experience (3 pubs, posters, oral pres, going on 5 years doing research). do either of these schools take into account heavy research? and would it be worth applying?

Top tier schools will love your interest in research and more so because you have something to show for it. However, your MCAT, not your GPA (which is fine), may hold you back from getting interviewed at top places. If you can get a 35 or above, you will have a great chance.

Top tier schools will love your interest in research and more so because you have something to show for it. However, your MCAT, not your GPA (which is fine), may hold you back from getting interviewed at top places. If you can get a 35 or above, you will have a great chance.

in that case do you have any other recommendations for top/mid tier schools that look highly upon research
im adding my reaches now and i want to make sure im as competitive of a candidate as i can be

My stats are on my MDapps page. I actually had the opposite problem as you, where my GPA/MCAT were high but I was lacking research experience. I think both schools favor research experience, and my lack of it was part of the reason I was waitlisted at UChicago. It's hard to say if he research will make up for the lower MCAT, but if you are really interested in UChicago or Northwestern it can't hurt to apply and hope for the best.

I think the only way to respond to questions like this is to say that the only way to guarantee that you won't get accepted is to not apply. I simply don't have the ability to predict one way or another how things would go for you. I will say that while U of C's matriculant stats are somewhat high, there's a very strong emphasis put on "fit" and ensuring that your interests and values match those of the institution. This is best judged by what you say in your app on both your personal statement and how you discuss your experiences. Obviously strong numbers are always helpful, but the averages are just that, and there are plenty of applicants with strong numbers who don't get an interview, and there are many applicants with "weak" numbers who are invited to interview and even accepted. Numbers aren't everything.

I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for, but that's the best I can do.

I think the only way to respond to questions like this is to say that the only way to guarantee that you won't get accepted is to not apply. I simply don't have the ability to predict one way or another how things would go for you. I will say that while U of C's matriculant stats are somewhat high, there's a very strong emphasis put on "fit" and ensuring that your interests and values match those of the institution. This is best judged by what you say in your app on both your personal statement and how you discuss your experiences. Obviously strong numbers are always helpful, but the averages are just that, and there are plenty of applicants with strong numbers who don't get an interview, and there are many applicants with "weak" numbers who are invited to interview and even accepted. Numbers aren't everything.

I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for, but that's the best I can do.
appreciate the response. thanks :)

Lived here forever. Winters can be brutal, even for me. What people really joke about around here though is the spring weather. Occasionally people around here have the AC on during the day and the heat on at night. Or it'll be 70 one day and 40 the next. The weather has massive mood swings!

34, 3.88, lots of research experience (no pubs, writing manuscript as we speak), lots of clinical experience. ORM.

I'm guessing my chances aren't great, do you guys think Pritzker is worth an application?

34, 3.88, lots of research experience (no pubs, writing manuscript as we speak), lots of clinical experience. ORM.

I'm guessing my chances aren't great, do you guys think Pritzker is worth an application?

See my post above as it applies equally to your situation. As mentioned there, Pritzker really places a high value on "fit" and wants students that see the opportunity of a Pritzker education as presenting an opportunity that will specifically help them and their career goals. If you check the school out and think that's true for you, then you should apply. If not, then perhaps not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping for visibility - please share any questions you might have!
Does U Chicago seem to favor prestigious undergrads like the east coast schools do? I know it's not necessarily favoring throughout the process, I just wonder how many state school kids you see there upon matriculation.

Does U Chicago seem to favor prestigious undergrads like the east coast schools do? I know it's not necessarily favoring throughout the process, I just wonder how many state school kids you see there upon matriculation.

We get a pretty good variety of schools represented, though as you might expect the Ivies are well-represented (just as they would be at pretty much any school similar to Pritzker). Off my head, though, I know we have students from U. Michigan, U. Minnesota, U. Iowa, U. Florida, U. Oregon, UCLA, U. Washington, and I'm sure many others.

I think the "prestigious undergrads" are favored not because of the schools but because of their students; in other words, the kind of student that goes to Harvard, Yale, etc. is more than likely the kind of person that will be immensely successful throughout their academic and professional career. I don't think Pritzker gives these students any preference - it just so happens that these institutions tend to produce more highly competitive and successful students. But if you're a competitive and successful student, regardless of your school, you'll have just as good of a shot as any of them.

Hope that helps.

I think the "prestigious undergrads" are favored not because of the schools but because of their students; in other words, the kind of student that goes to Harvard, Yale, etc. is more than likely the kind of person that will be immensely successful throughout their academic and professional career. I don't think Pritzker gives these students any preference - it just so happens that these institutions tend to produce more highly competitive and successful students. But if you're a competitive and successful student, regardless of your school, you'll have just as good of a shot as any of them.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I was trying to communicate that I know the students are more successful, not the schools. I go to U Alabama - obviously not prestigious - but scored 37+ on the MCAT. Just makes me nervous to think my undergrad decision could affect my acceptances. But the reason I asked was more to judge the environment than my chances. I don't know how a student from UA would be received by a bunch of ivy leaguers etc. I mean no negative connotation there, just can be intimidating.

Yeah, I was trying to communicate that I know the students are more successful, not the schools. I go to U Alabama - obviously not prestigious - but scored 37+ on the MCAT. Just makes me nervous to think my undergrad decision could affect my acceptances. But the reason I asked was more to judge the environment than my chances. I don't know how a student from UA would be received by a bunch of ivy leaguers etc. I mean no negative connotation there, just can be intimidating.

I had similar thoughts as I thought I was a competitive applicant but didn't come from a particularly prestigious institution. I would say to not sell yourself short and be confident. As mentioned above, Pritzker places great emphasis on "fit" and getting students that the admissions committee feels will take advantage of the opportunities available to them. If you can make that evident in your application - particularly in your secondary - then I would encourage you to apply.

You've mentioned a lot about "fit" in various threads. Can you give some commentary about what the adcom considers to be a student that will fit in well with Pritzker? Sometimes it feels like if one fits in at school X, it's likely that you'll fit in well with schools Y and Z.

How often do Pritzker students engage in scholarly pursuit in a different discipline (eg Chicago's amazing economics dept, Booth, etc)?

Any idea why Pritzker is one of the few schools to have this policy?
Pritzker said:
If your school provides a Health Professions Advisor or Committee letter service, and you choose not to use this option, you will be asked to explain your decision in completing our Secondary application.

You've mentioned a lot about "fit" in various threads. Can you give some commentary about what the adcom considers to be a student that will fit in well with Pritzker? Sometimes it feels like if one fits in at school X, it's likely that you'll fit in well with schools Y and Z.

How often do Pritzker students engage in scholarly pursuit in a different discipline (eg Chicago's amazing economics dept, Booth, etc)?

This will be an unsatisfying answer, but whether someone "fits" well or not is a difficult thing to judge with clear criteria. Tangible things that I look for in applicants include: a sense of academic curiosity that might include work outside of the sciences; involvement in activities and/or interests that may not be directly involved with medicine but which will enhance their training and make them more effective physicians; having an attitude which generally welcomes and considers a broad variety of perspectives, opinions, views, etc.; having an interest in working with people and effectively working with others; and having a relatively clear plan or goals with respect to their career which might be especially amenable to an education at Pritzker. I would say that more than most schools the secondary application is extremely important. To get a better sense of what Pritzker is about and what kinds of things we look for in students, I'd encourage you to check out the Pritzker Podcast. It might also help some of you who aren't sure if they want to apply or not make that decision.

As I said, I'm sure that's not satisfying and is a relatively "soft" answer, but this is something that I think is more effectively assessed by your answers in the secondary and your interactions with interviewers.

For your second question, I'd say pretty frequently. One of the cool things about the curriculum is that you're able to take any course at the university for elective credit during MS1 as long as the professor approves it; I took an undergrad course on Chaucer for my elective, and I know several students took basic macro during that time. There are students each year who take courses at Booth (the business school), which seems to be the most popular school to take classes in. The real difficulty lies in making sure the schedules match up and that courses you're interested in taking are available at times you can take them.

Any idea why Pritzker is one of the few schools to have this policy?

No idea, though I can speculate and say that it's likely because your home institution is likely to know you reasonably well and can provide context for the other aspects of your application (grades, activities, etc.) that may not be clear otherwise. I think the people looking over your application also appreciate the input from people that have a good amount of familiarity with pre-health students at your particular school. If you have a legitimate reason for not going through your committee then I wouldn't worry about it. I think that's there mainly to discourage people from not going through the committee for fear of having something negative said about them. That's the whole reason why the committee is there, so in the absence of a good explanation for not going through it, I think most people would assume that you're trying to hide something. That may not be accurate, but that's how it's perceived. The committee theoretically provides an objective perspective about you which may not be so obvious from your other letter writers since there's a bit of selection bias there.

Currently pre-writing the diversity/mission essay for Pritzker (assuming consistent essay prompts). Would you recommend focusing strictly on diversity or branching out a little bit? I have a heavy research background and I know Pritzker is a research-heavy school (imagine that, logical reasons for applying!), and it somewhat touches on that in the mission statement with the bit on innovation and discovery. However, I don't want to cop out of the diversity part just because I am a white male. I have included bits on being an engineer in medicine and the varying environments in which I have grown up, but I would like to talk about research as much as possible because it is a large reason that I think my goals mesh well with Pritzker's. Any tips?

Racial diversity is just one form of diversity (albeit the one we usually think of). Everyone's life is unique, and everyone has had certain experiences that have shaped them in important ways which other people haven't. My advice would be to keep that in mind and try and reflect on whatever those things might be and how they make you who you are. Of course, I'd recommend talking about things that are relevant to becoming a physician and practicing medicine, but everyone has something they can say to answer the diversity question. For some of us - myself included - it just requires a little more reflection and creativity.

Racial diversity is just one form of diversity (albeit the one we usually think of). Everyone's life is unique, and everyone has had certain experiences that have shaped them in important ways which other people haven't. My advice would be to keep that in mind and try and reflect on whatever those things might be and how they make you who you are. Of course, I'd recommend talking about things that are relevant to becoming a physician and practicing medicine, but everyone has something they can say to answer the diversity question. For some of us - myself included - it just requires a little more reflection and creativity.

Of course, of course. I was just wondering - it's probably subconsciously because you've emphasized "fit" so much ha - if I should bring up research in any way as a means of saying that I fit the mission statement, since that is after all what they ask. Research fits the mission statement's mention of "innovation and discovery" but is not unique nor diverse per se.

Of course, of course. I was just wondering - it's probably subconsciously because you've emphasized "fit" so much ha - if I should bring up research in any way as a means of saying that I fit the mission statement, since that is after all what they ask. Research fits the mission statement's mention of "innovation and discovery" but is not unique nor diverse per se.
Well, there are two parts to the prompt: enhancing diversity and advancing the Pritzker mission.

If you haven't already, consider taking a look at the University's diversity statement: http://diversity.uchicago.edu/statements/president_zimmer.shtml

Well, there are two parts to the prompt: enhancing diversity and advancing the Pritzker mission.

If you haven't already, consider taking a look at the University's diversity statement: http://diversity.uchicago.edu/statements/president_zimmer.shtml

I guess my main question was, "Do you think one half of the prompt is more important?" ha. But there is obviously no right answer to that. Anyway, thanks for the link; it's helpful for this essay no matter which way you look at it.

I guess my main question was, "Do you think one half of the prompt is more important?" ha. But there is obviously no right answer to that. Anyway, thanks for the link; it's helpful for this essay no matter which way you look at it.
Oh haha well for the record I do think both parts of the prompt are important.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

I should also add that while AMCAS is releasing the primary today, this does NOT mean that you will necessarily receive the secondary immediately. I'm not sure what the office's timeline is for rolling out the application portal, but please don't panic if you hear back from other schools but don't hear back from Pritzker.

@NickNaylor

I remember while applying for undergrads I heard that UChicago was a very serious school academically, very rigorous, and often "where fun comes to die." This reputation is often supported by the brutal grade deflation during undergrad.

I obviously expect medical school to be challenging, but how much of this "serious" feel does the medical school exhibit as compared to the undergrad?

@NickNaylor

I remember while applying for undergrads I heard that UChicago was a very serious school academically, very rigorous, and often "where fun comes to die." This reputation is often supported by the brutal grade deflation during undergrad.

I obviously expect medical school to be challenging, but how much of this "serious" feel does the medical school exhibit as compared to the undergrad?

Don't mean to step in, but I think if you check last year's application thread you'll find some info that the med school is much different. Not meaning to intercede, but I found the 13-14 thread helpful and hopefully you do too.

@NickNaylor

As mentioned above, the culture at Pritzker is very much different. The undergrads sell a shirt each year with the "where fun goes to die" slogan printed on it, and recently someone at the school made a "where fun is resurrected" shirt as a counterpoint. Medical school is hard and demanding, but we definitely don't have that masochistic aspect of ourselves that seems pretty prevalent in the undergrad. The cultures really are completely different.

These are the secondary essays. Just got the email invitation. They are the same as last year.

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of the entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. We suggest that you limit your text to about 200 words

Premedical Committee/Advisor.If your school has a premedical committee or premedical advisor who composes a letter for each applicant from your school and you chose not to avail yourself of this service, please check the "Yes" button below and provide an explanation in the textbox below for your decision not to do so. We suggest you limit your text to about 200 words. Be sure to save and finalize your response. If you are availing yourself of your premedical committee/advisor letter or if you attend a university which does not offer this service, please check the "No" button below, leave the text "N/A" and then save and finalize your response.

Last edited:
**rushes to check email**

Edit: nothing yet..

Last edited:
I got a secondary from here and WUSTL even though my app isn't even verified yet. Can someone tell me what's going on?

**rushes to check email**

Edit: nothing yet..
Just got it!
I got a secondary from here and WUSTL even though my app isn't even verified yet. Can someone tell me what's going on?
Schools can opt to receive contact info from applicants that have designated their school on AMCAS even before a verified app is transmitted.

Just got it!
**Rushing to check email again**

uggh why does my internet connection seem the slowest when I'm waiting on something important?

Edit: Nothing yet... they hate me :( just joking guys I'll be patient lol:xf:

Last edited:
Just got mine too. Man this pre-writing thing is a god send.