2014 DO applicants admission stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattjgold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm currently an undergrad pre-med student. Haven't finished all of my prerequisites yet... Anyway, according to AACOM: 3.29 science Gpa and a 3.49 non science Gpa is the avg Gpas for osteopathic medical schools. As well as a 26 mcat avg. So this is pretty much telling me that if I have a 3.3 science Gpa, 3.5 overall, 26 mcat, well-rounded and with tons of clinical/volunteer/shadowing hours I should have a good chance on getting in somewhere when I'm ready...?

Here is the link:

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014-aacomasappsr.pdf?sfvrsn=24

Members don't see this ad.

Theoretically yes, but the average GPAs and MCAT are only going to increase yearly, especially in more competitive schools. Many DO schools, especially the more established ones, already have an average GPA of 3.6+ and close to 30 (or above) on MCAT. With the number you listed, you will have to apply extremely broadly to have a good chance of landing a seat in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perfect, thanks for the reply. Do you think the new MCAT will have an effect on admissions? It's harder, which made think that the mcats may be lower, but it's too soon to tell. I'm applying 1 year from now.

New MCAT will not have an effect on admissions. It's all about how you rank among your peers (percentile). A 27 MCAT is roughly in the 60th percentile of test takers. So admissions will still be looking around that percentile range with the new MCAT. Aim above that though!

Perfect, thanks for the reply. Do you think the new MCAT will have an effect on admissions? It's harder, which made think that the mcats may be lower, but it's too soon to tell. I'm applying 1 year from now.
It won't be lower since the new MCAT will have a different scale from 472 to 528. Since this will be the first year, most schools will have no idea what the number means besides the percentile associated with them. It's most likely the percentile of the new MCAT score will be compared against those of the old MCAT. For example, 26 on old MCAT would be around 55 percentile which based on the hypothetical scale provided by AAMC would be 501 on the new MCAT.

Hey everyone, so I'm currently an undergrad pre-med student. Haven't finished all of my prerequisites yet... Anyway, according to AACOM: 3.29 science Gpa and a 3.49 non science Gpa is the avg Gpas for osteopathic medical schools. As well as a 26 mcat avg. So this is pretty much telling me that if I have a 3.3 science Gpa, 3.5 overall, 26 mcat, well-rounded and with tons of clinical/volunteer/shadowing hours I should have a good chance on getting in somewhere when I'm ready...?

Here is the link:

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014-aacomasappsr.pdf?sfvrsn=24
You should be looking at the matriculant averages, which are naturally higher. You shouldn't care what the average applicant looks like, only those who actually matriculate.

Last edited:
It is for matriculants. (the first column is applicants the second is matriculants)

There is nothing in that link that refers to matriculation. Only statistics for applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing in that link that refers to matriculation. Only statistics for applicants.

(pg. 7, #4 MCAT, right column)

Look at the top of page 7. It has both applicant stats (left column) and matriculant stats (right column).

Thanks everyone for your replies! My goof up... Didn't even realize that it was for applicants. I'm applying next June and here are my current stats: 3.20 overall, 3.86 science gpa as I calculated with AACOM, 100 shadow hours in the ER, waiter part-time on the weekends for 15-20hrs, just got certified as a CNA and applying to a rehab center soon, volunteering abroad in Peru in August and I start my honors research next year! Btw I'm a Psych major... The reason for my 3.20 overall is because I got a C- freshman year. Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!!

Thanks everyone for your replies! My goof up... Didn't even realize that it was for applicants. I'm applying next June and here are my current stats: 3.20 overall, 3.86 science gpa as I calculated with AACOM, 100 shadow hours in the ER, waiter part-time on the weekends for 15-20hrs, just got certified as a CNA and applying to a rehab center soon, volunteering abroad in Peru in August and I start my honors research next year! Btw I'm a Psych major... The reason for my 3.20 overall is because I got a C- freshman year. Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!!
Your EC is below average. While your sGPA is very high, your cGPA is low. I would suggest aiming for a high MCAT (if you haven't taken it) and get either community service/volunteer experience or more DO shadowing. Also, be mindful of volunteer tourism. If you are spending big bucks just to get the supposed "medical volunteering" for a month in Peru, it is simply a waste of money. It's better to have a long-term, more meaningful local experience than some short-term costly volunteering abroad.

Thanks I appreciate the reply. The reason for the gap is because I have gotten a lot of B's (3.0)s in entry level classes because math, writing and literatures aren't my thing. I start my upper level psych classes soon and that'll bring my overall to a 3.4-3.5. Also, so volunteering at a local hospital for the next year will be more meaningful?

Thanks I appreciate the reply. The reason for the gap is because I have gotten a lot of B's (3.0)s in entry level classes because math, writing and literatures aren't my thing. I start my upper level psych classes soon and that'll bring my overall to a 3.4-3.5. Also, so volunteering at a local hospital for the next year will be more meaningful?
Volunteering at a local hospital is a good idea. There are many more activities you could participate in. You could volunteer in a nursing home, a homeless shelter, a family practise clinic, etc. You could also join some clubs you are interested in. Just make sure you are not doing something for the sake of getting into medical schools. When it comes to writing your personal statement and secondary essays and answering questions during the interviews, you want to be able to highlight all your past activities in a meaningful way. It's much easier to do this if the ECs you are involved in are something you are passionate about. Remember there are thousands of applications the admissions screen each year, and the admissions can easily see through some premed checklist type of activities like those medical volunteering trip in South America or Africa.

Thanks for your honesty and detailed reply. I will most definitely look into that...it's starting to click now. "Well-rounded" is everything you just explained! I get it now!

OP, your stats are for all applicants. Matriculant stats for 2014 were 3.53/3.46/27.21. Highest they've every been. The DO world is getting more and more competitive my friends.

This.

Thanks for your honesty and detailed reply. I will most definitely look into that...it's starting to click now. "Well-rounded" is everything you just explained! I get it now!

OP, you're fine. Work on ECs that you are interested in, but really focus on getting the highest MCAT score you can get. Aim for above a 27 (or 60th percentile - I think like >510 or something), but really just try to do as well as you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Your chances are fine!

Here is the link: