2014 NIH GP Fair - FREE event (Bethesda, MD) - July 16, 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
MAIN LINK: https://www.training.nih.gov/gp_fair

REGISTRATION: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H58J8BJ (Yes, it is a SurveyMonkey link)

Every MSTP and most MD/PhD programs will be in attendance...
This event is for all aspiring MD/PhD applicants and it is worth traveling to attend. It has free registration.

This is the information from the main link (I added the bold and italicized fonts):

"The NIH Graduate and Professional School Fair, to be held on July 16, 2014 from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm on the Bethesda campus of the NIH, will provide an opportunity for NIH summer interns (especially those in college) and NIH postbacs, as well as other college students in the DC area, to prepare for the next step in their careers by exploring educational programs leading to the PhD, MD, DDS, MD/PhD, and other graduate and professional degrees. More than 150 outstanding colleges and universities from across the U.S. will be sending representatives of their graduate schools, medical and dental schools, schools of public health, and other biomedically relevant programs to the Fair in the hopes of recruiting NIH trainees.

Student interest is highest in the following schools/programs: medical school, graduate school (PhD programs in all of the biomedical sciences), MD/PhD programs, public health, psychology, dental school, and pharmacy school.

The day will also include workshops on getting to graduate and professional school, MD/PhD programs, interviewing, and careers in public health, psychology, and dentistry. New this year: a diversity discussion series. Exhibits will be open from 10:00 am to 2:15 pm."

Here is an example of the workshops. As in prior years, there is the plan of doing a session sponsored by the Communications Subgroup on "MD/PhD: Is it for me?" see for example:
http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=11386&bhcp=1

Members don't see this ad.

As a student who attended this last year, I can confirm that this was a wonderful opportunity. For underclassmen, there are also representatives of summer programs at this fair.

Reactions: 1 user
@Fencer, thank you for posting this. This is s a great opportunity for students to talk with program directors and administrators. Making personal contact with the programs that interest you can make a difference in the admissions process. Ceteris paribus, we are more likely to interview someone we have met at an event such as this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let me add to this... Last year, I hosted a dinner for SDN attendees to this conference. We had a very nice discussion at dinner. All of them had interviews at multiple programs, and are now incoming MD/PhD students at a program of their choice. I plan to do that again this year, please PM me for availability/interest for July 15 and/or 16 at 6:30 - 8:30 pm.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. This is a basic question, but when attending the fair, is there anything in particular we should plan on bringing?

I was considering taking copies of my CV, but is there something that would be more/less useful for MD/PhD directors? (Other than good questions! :))

Thank you in advance for any input.

Wow. I must have missed this thread last year or something. I was at the GPP fair, but I didn't know there was an SDN meet-up scheduled. Or maybe I met Fencer and just didn't know it was him... lol.