2014 Range of GPA/DAT; "Cut off"scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A myth that keeps making the rounds on SDN is that schools have “cut off” DAT and GPA scores. There are 4 schools that have a declared minimum DAT scores (Florida15, Missouri KC 16, Oregon 15, Temple 19). In the case of Temple, the declared minimum of 19 is probably a typo since, for 2013, the numbers dipped considerably below (AA 17-24; PA 16-27; TS 16-24). There two main problems with the claim of a minimum score:

1. All of the 65 dental schools (with the exception of Harvard) have ranges of DAT (AA, PA, TS) scores at the level of 17 and below. Of the 10 school that did not report ranges for 2014, the evidence from past years suggests that their ranges would be comparable to those reported by other school. (Excel file)

2. DAT scores distribution. The distribution of DAT scores is the limiting factor in this equation. Note that the percentage of applicants with scores of 19 and above stands at 41.2. Also, note that the percentage of enrollees with DAT scores below 16 is relatively low- 7.3 or roughly 430 students. (Word file)

GPA "Cut Off". While there are schools with a declared minimum GPA score, for all practical purpose they serve as guideline rather than a line in the sand. While the range of GPA (science) may be as low as 2.2, it is not a cause for celebration. Less than 3% or roughly 175 enrollees have gpa below 3.0.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/ (table 24)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2013 DAT-GPA Frequency Distribution SDN 5-27-16.doc
    68 KB · Views: 1,947
  • 2013 Range of DAT-GPA SDN 5-27-14.xls
    37 KB · Views: 2,037
Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
Wow. Such compilation. Did you get the numbers from the ADEA guide?

Members don't see this ad :)
impressive. wow

Dang you went through the whole ADEA guide??

Hey Doc, not sure if you want to do anything with this, but it looks like OSU also recently added a DAT cutoff + GPA cutoff. They now require:
- 17 AA, 17 TS, 17 PAT
- 3.0 oGPA, 3.0 sGPA (unless you have a 3.5+ in an "advanced degree")

http://dent.osu.edu/admission/prospective/before_you_apply.php

I'm not sure if this is just now applicable for this year or what, since the ADEA guide has scores lower than those.

Hey Doc, not sure if you want to do anything with this, but it looks like OSU also recently added a DAT cutoff + GPA cutoff. They now require:
- 17 AA, 17 TS, 17 PAT
- 3.0 oGPA, 3.0 sGPA (unless you have a 3.5+ in an "advanced degree")

http://dent.osu.edu/admission/prospective/before_you_apply.php

I'm not sure if this is just now applicable for this year or what, since the ADEA guide has scores lower than those.

In all likelihood, there are other dental school that will have "cut offs" declared on their websites. Whether or not OSU will actually stick with the minimum standards claimed remains to be seen, but it is unlikely that it will materialize.

Last edited:
Serious question though, hasn't the competition to get into dental school just gotten more intense since 2009 or 2011 from which these data were taken?

I think that these compilations help people even though the data seem dated.

Yes. There are more people applying each year.

Serious question though, hasn't the competition to get into dental school just gotten more intense since 2009 or 2011 from which these data were taken? I think that these compilations help people even though the data seem dated.

Since the information is from the 2014 ADEA Guide for the 2013 entering class, it is not clear how the data is "dated". As for the "competition to get into dental school just gotten more intense" it may just be a case of wishful thinking.
Yes. There are more people applying each year.
Actually the number of applicants has remained relatively stable while the number of enrollees has increased.

Reactions: 1 users
Since the information is from the 2014 ADEA Guide for the 2013 entering class, it is not clear how the data is "dated". As for the "competition to get into dental school just gotten more intense" it may just be a case of wishful thinking.

Actually the number of applicants has remained relatively stable while the number of enrollees has increased.
Cool to know this. :) I always thought that more people were applying every year. Better chances for us I guess.

I contacted Missouri KC for advice on a DAT retake because of a 15QR. They said not to worry about it since I had a 19AA and 20TS. Perhaps each school has some flexibility if they so choose. Never hurts to ask...

Hi, why does it say that the stats are for 2009 in the word doc?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, why does it say that the stats are for 2009 in the word doc?
The Excell file gives the ranges for the schools; the word document gives us an idea on the number of enrollees with a particular stat distribution. The numbers are not as readily available.

Reactions: 1 user