2015-2016 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so if I am holding onto another Texas school, do i have to withdraw on or before April 30? So, i cant be on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

As of January 21st, TMDSAS schools allowed only one acceptance and any number of waitlists. At the end of April, one can hold any number of waitlist positions but only one admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any information about second look weekend apart from the date sent in the admissions packet?

Has anyone received any information about second look weekend apart from the date sent in the admissions packet?
There was an email sent at the end of February which had the schedule and an RSVP link from the MS-interviews email. I don't know if that helps?

If you are only holding 1 Texas acceptance, you do not have to do anything. However, if you are holding multiple Texas acceptances, then you have to withdraw from all of them except for one. As far as I understand, this has no effect on waitlists.

Do you know what the rule is for the June deadline? We were given the impression that, on May 1, you needed to have only one Tx public school acceptance, but could still be on waitlists for all Tx schools (Baylor included). However, on May 30/June 1 you could only have one Tx acceptance, period. At my interview, they made it seem as though, if you were accepted to a public Tx school as of June 1, then they take you off the Baylor waitlist. It doesn't sound right, but I haven't been able to find any materials that say anything different.

Do you know what the rule is for the June deadline? We were given the impression that, on May 1, you needed to have only one Tx public school acceptance, but could still be on waitlists for all Tx schools (Baylor included). However, on May 30/June 1 you could only have one Tx acceptance, period. At my interview, they made it seem as though, if you were accepted to a public Tx school as of June 1, then they take you off the Baylor waitlist. It doesn't sound right, but I haven't been able to find any materials that say anything different.
This is correct, I believe.

Does this also apply to OOS?

"After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas."

Looks like they are eliminating waitlists if you already have an admission, within Texas.

I am not sure about the May 1 deadline, but you are correct for the June deadline. This is on TMDSAS's website https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html:

"Applicants may hold multiple offers of acceptance from the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By April 30 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.

After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

Thanks for posting this! It's a little scary to think that I could be removed from my top choice because I am accepted to another Texas school.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are usually separate. From what I've heard, they're given out as early as December and as late as May.

~~~~~~

FWIW, the offers (acceptance from the OOS WL and 50% merit scholarship) here came simultaneously in early May. Some schools do have them as totally separate events. Cannot speak to whether BCM ever does them separately.

Interviewed later in the season and haven't heard anything -- is it safe to assume it's the waitlist now, or could there still be April acceptance calls?

Usually there is another wave of calls the week after Second Look weekend! Not trying to jinx anything, but Second Look weekend just wrapped up yesterday.

Buddy of mine call them a few days ago. They still haven't filled up their class. Based on older thread and talking to some med students, it seems like we should expect some new acceptances mid to late April or early May.
Why would they wait to fill the majority of their class before second look? Like, is that normal? It doesn't make sense to me...students won't be able to go attend SLW if they are accepted after the fact, making their image of the med school less clear....

Reactions: 1 users
When do most people do research here? I wasn't aware until second look that there is no protected research time in the curriculum.

When do most people do research here? I wasn't aware until second look that there is no protected research time in the curriculum.

We do research while we take classes or during breaks. Many of us first years have undertaken projects this spring semester, now that we feel better adjusted to the schoolwork. Most of my class commitments are in the mornings, which leaves my afternoons free to go into clinic for my research. I know some people are dedicating their Christmas or summer breaks to research, but because we only get 1 month off for summer, most people recommend doing something fun instead! We have been told that residencies take into consideration that Baylor has a shorter summer than most schools (due to doing pre-clinicals in 1.5 yrs as opposed to normal 2 yrs) when looking at number of publications. There is also a track you can apply to that includes a year for research (see link below).

We are mostly encouraged to do retrospective research studies (where the data has already been collected) so that we can focus more on analyzing data and writing an abstract/paper. You can do basic science research, it is just much more time consuming.

MD/PhD students take their research years after they complete pre-clinicals (the first 1.5 years), 6 months of clinics, and take STEP (thanks @anhtimmy for clarifying)

There are also research electives available (see below) although since I am only a first year, I know less about electives. Maybe an upperclassman on here can talk more about those.

Medical School Research Track (5 year option)
https://www.bcm.edu/education/schoo...d-credit/tracks/medical-school-research-track

Research Electives
https://www.bcm.edu/departments/osa/web_electives/departmentlist.cfm?ctype=4

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What makes you say that a majority of seats haven't been filled yet?
sorry didn't mean to type that, meant something along the lines of "why wouldn't you have the VAST majority of your class established going into SLW?"

sorry didn't mean to type that, meant something along the lines of "why wouldn't you have the VAST majority of your class established going into SLW?"

Part of it may be for "crowd control." I went to a second look weekend for one of my accepted schools that had TONS of people (other programs, people's parents/SOs, etc) and it made it very hard to meet people or learn anything more about the school. Having a potentially smaller weekend could be really helpful for those, who were able to go, in making a decision. It doesn't help us obviously but I'm sure if you're accepted after this weekend you could have your own second look (make an appointment with financial aid, reach out to a student for lunch to discuss the school, etc).

Currently deciding between Baylor and UTSW. I get the feeling that UTSW has stronger clinical training than Baylor, where med students manage their own patients, are on call for their patients, document in EMR, get to do own procedures, etc. UTSW also has newer and greater number of hospitals students rotate through.

Can any current students comment on how they feel Baylor's clinical training is? How much responsibility/autonomy do you get? How do residency programs view Baylor's training?

Currently deciding between Baylor and UTSW. I get the feeling that UTSW has stronger clinical training than Baylor, where med students manage their own patients, are on call for their patients, document in EMR, get to do own procedures, etc. UTSW also has newer and greater number of hospitals students rotate through.

Can any current students comment on how they feel Baylor's clinical training is? How much responsibility/autonomy do you get? How do residency programs view Baylor's training?
How does UTSW have more hospitals? Baylor is in houston at the texas medical center, the largest medical center in the world.

How does UTSW have more hospitals? Baylor is in houston at the texas medical center, the largest medical center in the world.

Baylor is mainly VA, St. Luke's, Bentaub, and TCH. UT Houston rotates through MD Anderson and Memorial Hermann in the TMC.

UTSW has VA, Parkland, Clements, and Children's. They don't have to split their hospitals with any other med school.

From what I've heard, Parkland > Bentaub.

So, was the last round of calls 3/23? BCM has to extend offers at least once in April... plus the class isn't completely filled yet. I wonder when they plan to call people?

Reactions: 1 user
So, was the last round of calls 3/23? BCM has to extend offers at least once in April... plus the class isn't completely filled yet. I wonder when they plan to call people?
Last year's thread showed a flurry of activity and offers on April 15 2015. Let's see if that happens this time!

Reactions: 2 users

I'm curious why "newer" or even "more" hospitals leads to better clinical training? Either way it's a hospital that has everything you need to do your clinical training. Baylor is building a new hospital though? done in 2019 I believe so that would be on the back end

We manage our own patients, have call, write notes in Epic (EMR), and get to do a lot of procedures on our own with watchful guidance (para- or thoracentesis, scopes, skin closure, abscess drainage, deliver babies, etc)

Newer and greater number of hospitals mean very little. It's really the quality of the training. We rotate through a trauma 1 county hospital with its own locked-in psych inpatient center and psych ER (Ben Taub), two private hospitals (St. Luke's and Methodist -- yes we do rotate through Methodist), the largest children's hospital in the US (TCH), the VA, and the #1 cancer center in the world (MD Anderson -- yes this is considered at-home rotation).

Our clinical training is one of the best. Look at our step scores and matches as a testament to our students' success.

I was accepted into UTSW and Baylor as well, and decided to come here instead. My friends at UTSW and I agree that both schools are phenomenal and will get you anywhere you want. The only difference is the connections you make.

MD/PhD students take their research years after pre-clinicals (the first 1.5 years) instead of going straight into clinics with the rest of the class.

MD/PhD students finish 1.5 years of pre-clinicals, do 6 months of clinical rotations, take Step 1, and then transition into graduate school.

We have to find out something by 4/30 right, whether waitlist or otherwise?

I'm really hoping some phone calls go out today..I just want to hear something from Baylor! lol I hate the waiting game if you can't tell..

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really hoping some phone calls go out today..I just want to hear something from Baylor! lol I hate the waiting game if you can't tell..

:p Don't we all ahahah, best of luck everyone~ April 15 sounds like a great date doesn't it?? :whistle:

So no calls today? I guess the last string of acceptances will be next Monday or Wednesday?

So no calls today? I guess the last string of acceptances will be next Monday or Wednesday?
I hope, but honestly I think nobody knows other than the admissions committee. If we keep guessing days though, we're bound to be right at some point :)

I hope, but honestly I think nobody knows other than the admissions committee. If we keep guessing days though, we're bound to be right at some point :)
In that case I predict next Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday! Maybe if we pick all the days next week, we'll hear faster! :heckyeah:

Baylor has accepted enough people to fill its incoming class, but that doesn't mean that all seats are taken. Baylor will continue to accept people off its list until all seats are filled.

Baylor has accepted enough people to fill its incoming class, but that doesn't mean that all seats are taken. Baylor will continue to accept people off its list until all seats are filled.

Based on this, do you potentially know if another wave of acceptances is coming relatively soon (referencing last year's Wednesday, April 15th wave)? As in next week or at some point within April. Or is Baylor kind of done at this point until May?

Based on this, do you potentially know if another wave of acceptances is coming relatively soon (referencing last year's Wednesday, April 15th wave)? As in next week or at some point within April. Or is Baylor kind of done at this point until May?

I mean if they're done until May then why not just send out emails to everyone saying they're waitlisted/on hold/etc?

Edit: looks like waitlist emails went out Apr 24 last year. So might be the same protocol this year

Last edited:
Did anyone get their financial aid offer yet or know whether they'll be out by Apr 30?

If BCM doesn't call people tomorrow I'm just going to assume I'm waitlisted or flat out rejected. . . I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be the day!

Last edited:
I'm hoping calls will go out today, however, the city has been basically shut down the past two days so I'm not sure if the adcom have even been able to do anything.

I'm hoping calls will go out today, however, the city has been basically shut down the past two days so I'm not sure if the adcom have even been able to do anything.
a very good point - the reality of Houston weather leading to flooding might delay the usual meetings

People waiting for phone calls like:

ImageUploadedBySDN1461250073.361477.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 15 users
Myself included...lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Baylor sent out an email today asking people to commit to one school by April 30th for national signing day. May be things will start opening up soon.