2015-2016 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey i was wondering if anybody on this thread could let me know what my chances are for baylor? or if there is a specific thread for that please direct me to it! (i'm brand new to SDN haha)

Texas Resident
GPA: 3.98
MCAT: 518 (36 on the old MCAT I'm pretty sure)

ECs;
SUPER research heavy: did research for 2 years at my undergrad institution- won an award recognizing my undergrad research, first author on a poster and presented that poster at our undergrad research conference, and 4th author on an invited review (pending publication). Worked as a research tech at UTSW for 1 year.

Served as a freshman mentor through the office of undergraduate education, ta'd 2 semester for general chemistry, chemistry tutor through my university, member of HOSA, won gold medals at the HOSA national conference and twice at HOSA state conference.

have about 100 hrs of volunteering in various capacities in the community through HOSA and around 250 hours at a clinic for low income/uninsured patients

around 100 hours shadowing a primary care physician and a neurologist

thank you guys so much for any input/feedback you can give! baylor is absolutely my top choice and i'm super nervous!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/ Try the
"what are my Chances" thread and other topics that include the schools and issues you are interested in. This thread is mostly for applicants who have finished applying this year, planning to start med school in August 2016. And welcome to SDN :)

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor sent out an email today asking people to commit to one school by April 30th for national signing day. May be things will start opening up soon.

I called the admissions office today and was told that their class still isn't full

Reactions: 1 user
Whyyyyyyy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they're playing hard to get, so it feels that much more special if we get a phone call.

this game of cat and mouse has driven me bananas

I'm playing a game of red rover. I'm across the street at UTHouston just waiting for them to tell me to come over. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Accepted! IS. Got the call ~10 minutes ago

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations to the acceptances today. I'm beyond excited for you all.

Accepted! IS. Got the call ~10 minutes ago

Congrats!!! Im pumped that you got in!! I hope it all works out and a couple more of us join you by the end of the day!!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today IS!!!! Absolutely over the moon, I still can't believe it!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptances!!! :) Really happy for you guys and wishing the best for everyone still waiting!

Any OOS acceptances? Either today or earlier in the cycle?

Any chance there are any more acceptances coming or was that pretty much the final wave?

Has anyone been accepted who interviewed after Christmas?

Has anyone been accepted who interviewed after Christmas?
That is what I am very curious about as well. It seems as if everyone accepted interviewed early in the season.

That is what I am very curious about as well. It seems as if everyone accepted interviewed early in the season.

I think the resounding silence should answer that question fairly well. I checked both last year's and this year's SDN posts and I didn't see one Jan/Feb interviewer that got accepted. This doesn't seem like a statistical anomaly to me (random chance that all SDN users interviewed early). It's clear that these later interview groups are a safety net in case virtually everyone else decides to go to other schools. It also makes logical sense that the Jan/Feb club are the people that weren't competitive enough to interview earlier on because the application deadline was so far prior. In other words, a late application would still result in an earlier interview if that application were very competitive (hence, why the Dec interviewers get in). Anyway, the point is that it's obviously not true that we all have an "equal shot". Unfortunately, we interviewed for the waitlist :(

I think the resounding silence should answer that question fairly well. I checked both last year's and this year's SDN posts and I didn't see one Jan/Feb interviewer that got accepted. This doesn't seem like a statistical anomaly to me (random chance that all SDN users interviewed early). It's clear that these later interview groups are a safety net in case virtually everyone else decides to go to other schools. It also makes logical sense that the Jan/Feb club are the people that weren't competitive enough to interview earlier on because the application deadline was so far prior. In other words, a late application would still result in an earlier interview if that application were very competitive (hence, why the Dec interviewers get in). Anyway, the point is that it's obviously not true that we all have an "equal shot". Unfortunately, we interviewed for the waitlist :(

Lonestar says his daughter was a late February interview who was waitlisted and subsequently accepted in May. That said we likely interviewed for the waitlist which is a bit upsetting. I think Baylor should decrease the number of interviews (or at least be more transparent about the chances of late interviewers) if there really isn't an equal chance.

I know a couple of people who interviewed in January last year who got into the class, they probably just didn't post about it on SDN. I don't think schools "Interview for the waitlist" - but I do think the earlier applicants have a better shot because 1) they were probably impressive to be granted an early interview and 2) theres more spots open in the beginning (obviously haha)

Any speculation on why the wait list notification hasn't been sent yet? Seems like last Friday was the last batch of calls.

Last edited:
I need to be put out of my misery.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone received information about merit scholarships for this application cycle? If not, when does BCM tell accepted students about scholarship information?

OOS applicant. Accepted last November. Thankful to find out last week that I got merit scholarship.

just waitlist me, so i can move on lol. just lmk ugh

I got the call this past Friday. Though I am grateful, now I have to decide between UTSW or Baylor (the age old question). How are people in the same Baylor boat (late notification) deciding between schools? I have been racking my brains for a couple days trying to decide. I'm undecided because I didn't get to see Baylor in detail during Second Look.
Why does the admissions committee give notifications of acceptance after their Second Look if they hadn't filled their class yet and weren't working off a waitlist?

I got the call this past Friday. Though I am grateful, now I have to decide between UTSW or Baylor (the age old question). How are people in the same Baylor boat (late notification) deciding between schools? I have been racking my brains for a couple days trying to decide. I'm undecided because I didn't get to see Baylor in detail during Second Look.
Why does the admissions committee give notifications of acceptance after their Second Look if they hadn't filled their class yet and weren't working off a waitlist?
Congratulations on 2 great options. Which city seems more livable to you?

Congratulations on 2 great options. Which city seems more livable to you?
Thank you! I am excited. I'm from Austin, so right smack dab in the middle of the two.
I had thought that Dallas seemed more livable to me, but that's only because I had gone to UTSW's second look and had thought I was going there right until 4 days ago. I already had made a roommate friend too, who I really like.

I really don't know what living in Houston is like. Coming from Austin, Dallas and Houston are super big cities to me. This is where I feel like Second Look at Baylor is invaluable for determining my fit with the school.

There was a recent thread in the school-specific discussion forums that has some input from current medical students: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/baylor-v-utsw-2016.1195169/

For me, it came down to mainly the location and student body. I'm from Houston, so not only is my family there, but I have friends who are part of the incoming class/will be going to school nearby. Additionally, the current students I talked to at BCM have loved it there whereas one of the MS1s I talked to at UTSW was not very happy with how UTSW has done its 1.5 year curriculum (that being said, other MS1s I talked to did not have similar complaints and said they enjoyed it there).
Going back to the curriculum, I've heard that UTSW has had a few kinks in their first year of the 1.5 year preclinical curriculum, which is expected, and that the administration has been very receptive to feedback. I'm sure they'll fix most of these problems for next year's incoming class but can't help but think that new problems may come up or old ones may still persist. On the other hand, BCM has been doing its curriculum for a long time now and the results speak for themselves.

I think both schools offer great education and clinical training, plenty of research opportunities, and both will set you up well for residency. Baylor just happened to be best for me.

Reactions: 3 users
I got in in February after a late January interview, but am an MD/PhD applicant.

For me, it came down to mainly the location and student body. I'm from Houston, so not only is my family there, but I have friends who are part of the incoming class/will be going to school nearby. Additionally, the current students I talked to at BCM have loved it there whereas one of the MS1s I talked to at UTSW was not very happy with how UTSW has done its 1.5 year curriculum (that being said, other MS1s I talked to did not have similar complaints and said they enjoyed it there)...

I think both schools offer great education and clinical training, plenty of research opportunities, and both will set you up well for residency. Baylor just happened to be best for me.

Thanks for the update & rationale. I think a place you feel at home can make it easier.

I have to decide between UTSW or Baylor (the age old question). How are people in the same Baylor boat (late notification) deciding between schools? I have been racking my brains for a couple days trying to decide. I'm undecided because I didn't get to see Baylor in detail during Second Look.

I know there's a separate thread for BCM vs UTSW, but I figured adding my two cents on here couldn't hurt. I was also deciding between the two, and ultimately chose Baylor. I was studying abroad during the spring, so I did not get to attend second look for either school.

I have no idea how/why the admissions committee works the way it does, but that sucks that you didn't get to see Baylor/Houston again. I'm sure if you wanted to come to Houston for a few days some of the first years would be happy to show you around. Feel free to DM me if you decide to do this, and I can put you in touch with our MS1s in charge of interviewee relations.

Reasons I chose Baylor:
First off, I am from Dallas, so my family is there and many of my friends moved to the city after graduation. Pro: social network that could support me during stressful times. Con: not as much pressure to make friends in my class. I felt that if I was in Dallas with all of my college friends I would be less inclined to put in the effort to make med school friends. I definitely do not regret my decision, and there is a lovely Megabus that runs 4hrs to Dallas for like $20 with free Wifi so you can study. I will say though, that the people in my class with parents in Houston have it made. They take laundry home and get home cooked or freezer meals, which I am very envious of. This applies less to your case, since you are from Austin, but just in case it applies to anyone else!

As far as curriculum, they are both now the 1.5 yr pre-clinical setup. My year would have been the first year UTSW transitioned to the 1.5 years, and I ultimately decided that I did not want to be the guinea pig class. I saw this as a con, some people saw it as a pro-- a chance to have more input into their class structure. I have heard that UTSW transitioned quite well and is making adjustments where needed, but still something to consider.

A major deciding factor to me was the medical center. First of all, there's basically a hospital for any type of specialty you could ever want to go into. Second, there is UT Houston, so you can make med school friends that aren't stressed out at the same time as you, but also understand what you're going through. Best of all, the med center really is like a mini-city. My parents came to visit and thought the medical center was downtown Houston. It's such a cool environment to be in, and I haven't even started working at the actual hospitals. (note: to me, Ben Taub and Parkland were comparable, so the "teaching/community hospital" argument was negligible)

As far as living in either city, I really loved growing up in Dallas, so this aspect was definitely weighted more heavily towards UTSW. However, I do really love Houston now and have found that they're really pretty comparable in terms of cost, activities, parks, night-life, etc. One of my favorite aspects of Houston specifically though is the public transport (especially the Rail). It goes from condoland (where most students live), to school/med center, to the museum district, and then up to midtown/downtown (where many of the bars are). The public transport is pretty safe and at peak hours is basically all people going to/from the medical center. This is in contrast with the Dallas public transport system which I have heard is pretty sketchy. I can't speak to this first hand, because my parents never let me or my brothers ride it, due to said sketchiness.

Something I did not appreciate until I got here was the proximity to Rice University. Rice is a 5-10 minute walk from Baylor and a great study spot. The library is open to all visitors with an ID, and due an inter-institutional agreement we get BCM wifi over there too. The campus is absolutely beautiful and definitely a welcoming break from the steel and concrete of the medical center.

Something I wish I'd considered more highly was whether or not you are given time off to study for STEP1. I only bring this up because Baylor does give you time off, but my friends at UTH do not get time off and are not happy about it. This seems like a major disadvantage. I don't remember if UTSW does give time off or not, but definitely something to ask about before deciding on any school!

On a less objective note, I really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere at BCM on interview day and just got a better feeling when I was here than at UTSW. Interview impressions are always subjective to the individual, but are important to consider, so don't discount your gut feeling! People trying to help me decide told me to look around at the people I was interviewing with and see if I could see myself being friends with them, because those would be my classmates. The obvious problem is that not everyone that interviews gets in/chooses that school so I never thought much of this advice. However, I will say that in my interview travels I saw some of the same people repeatedly. There were only two that I became friendly enough with to actually find/add on Facebook. By some weird coincidence, all three of us ended up at Baylor... So maybe there is some merit to this? Who knows. Go with your gut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At the end of the day they're both awesome schools in wonderful cities, and you will end up with great medical training regardless! I'm obviously biased towards Baylor, so I would seek out a current UTSW student and get their input just as a counter-balance (maybe Dallas public transport isn't that bad after all?). Feel free to message me with any questions about BCM or Houston!

Reactions: 3 users
Is Baylor required to send out emails to those waitlisted by April 30, or do they not have to?

What is the estimated cost of attendance for Baylor I haven't received my Finacial package from them yet and wanted to do some type of comparison to UTSW. I haven't been able to find a sheet that had all of the money in one place. UTSW is like 49kish is that what Baylor is?

Thanks! Not sure why I couldn't find that was looking for a while -_-

Is Baylor required to send out emails to those waitlisted by April 30, or do they not have to?
I assumed they were, the last two years they sent the waitlist emails out on April 24th, so I'm not sure what's going on this year..my hope is they are waiting for people to withdraw as it nears the deadline and so they will call a few people this week :D

I assumed they were, the last two years they sent the waitlist emails out on April 24th, so I'm not sure what's going on this year..my hope is they are waiting for people to withdraw as it nears the deadline and so they will call a few people this week :D
I'd think the Houston flooding might have something to do with the delay...

I feel it only makes sense if Baylor has already filled their class by now since the deadline for applicants to give up all but once acceptance is tomorrow. I don't understand why they haven't sent a waitlist email by now, but let's just say I'm looking forward to finally seeing some movement from BCM and the other Texas schools!

I feel it only makes sense if Baylor has already filled their class by now since the deadline for applicants to give up all but once acceptance is tomorrow. I don't understand why they haven't sent a waitlist email by now, but let's just say I'm looking forward to finally seeing some movement from BCM and the other Texas schools!
Honestly, my guess is that a lot of people will drop their BCM admission tomorrow and thus there will be a lot of acceptances the following week. Then, after that, since there will be less movement as people are down to one school, they will create the waitlist. This is, of course, just my speculation. But I know about 5 people at my university alone that will be dropping their BCM acceptances tomorrow as they decide to go to JHU or Harvard. So there's no real point to them creating a waitlist so close to the day they will have a lot more spots open.

Baylor does not seem to have an official way to turn down the admission. Essentially, they are asking for a $300 deposit by tomorrow as a confirmation that one wants to keep the seat making it look like whoever does not pay simply gives up their admission. So unless people respond and tell them they are declining the admission, Baylor will tally the payments tomorrow night to determine how many accepted.