2015-2016 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is Baylor's policy on providing application feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

What is Baylor's policy on providing application feedback?
You can always check you status application with this link https://www.bcm.edu/as/admis_web/ms_app/status/login/login.cfm
Lots of people complain that they didn't get frequent feedback, and that's correct. However I didn't hear back a from any school frequently; they pretty much confirm your application is complete, silence, either notify you of an interview invitation, or more silence, and then notify you of an acceptance/ "waitlist" you. I know other Texas schools have fixed expectation dates, so that's makes it easier for some people to wait. You can always call the admission office, I never did, but I assume it won't hurt your chances as long as the calls are infrequent and courteous.

You can always check you status application with this link https://www.bcm.edu/as/admis_web/ms_app/status/login/login.cfm
Lots of people complain that they didn't get frequent feedback, and that's correct. However I didn't hear back a from any school frequently; they pretty much confirm your application is complete, silence, either notify you of an interview invitation, or more silence, and then notify you of an acceptance/ "waitlist" you. I know other Texas schools have fixed expectation dates, so that's makes it easier for some people to wait. You can always call the admission office, I never did, but I assume it won't hurt your chances as long as the calls are infrequent and courteous.
Apologies, I believe I was unclear. I was wondering whether or not Baylor's ADCOM provides post-interview rejected applicants with feedback about their application (such as what areas of our apps were lacking, or if our interviews did not go well, etc.). A couple of other schools I applied at do this, just couldn't find anywhere if Baylor did as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies, I believe I was unclear. I was wondering whether or not Baylor's ADCOM provides post-interview rejected applicants with feedback about their application (such as what areas of our apps were lacking, or if our interviews did not go well, etc.). A couple of other schools I applied at do this, just couldn't find anywhere if Baylor did as well.
Oh, sorry about the confusion. I can't answer that question:oops:. You can always call the admission office and ask them. If you want to remain anonymous, you can give only your first name. You can also ask your school's adviser or a reasonably unbiased person to take a complete look at your application.

Nah they don't provide feedback. The state schools will though.

As 5 approaches, and I realize that my chances of attending BCM are no more, I am sad but also excited. I have a spot at a fantastic Texas medical school in an application cycle that appears to be one of the most competitive ever, but I am sad about what could have been. Baylor is an amazing school and I would have loved the opportunity to attend. It sucks to have come this far, yet fall short, but I know that I tried my hardest; it just wasn't in my plan. I wish everyone who is still on the waitlist the best of luck!

Exactly my thinking. Which school are you headed to?

Doesn't the waiting end tomorrow at 5, not today?

TMDSAS states that "No medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas after 5:00 pm CT on June 1, 2016."
So, one more day!

I really dont think they will be extending any more acceptances tomorrow, but best of luck to everyone who is still waiting. The medical school application process is a lot of waiting and wondering. I am happy and tremendously lucky to have been offered a spot at a great school. Something I learned from my undergrad years at an ivy league school is that no one is always perfectly complacent, despite great accomplishments and good fortune. This is especially true of the personalities you find in medicine. The worst thing you can do is to come in with the mindset that you are disappointed. It's difficult to put out your best work and achieve great learning with that mindset. Try your best to be your best to prepare for the next opportunity and be thankful for wherever you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I called them at the end of last week and they said they were "still trying to fill the class." I wonder what that means. Maybe they're only accepting out-of-state off the waitlist now?

I called them at the end of last week and they said they were "still trying to fill the class." I wonder what that means. Maybe they're only accepting out-of-state off the waitlist now?
wow... it's 1/2 hour from the deadline. Good luck WL'ers

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The "mid June" deadline is approaching (a week from Wednesday) so maybe some of us will hear something next week? Whether I get a call or not, it'll be nice to be able to get on with my life.

The "mid June" deadline is approaching (a week from Wednesday) so maybe some of us will hear something next week? Whether I get a call or not, it'll be nice to be able to get on with my life.
I can't agree more

On the TMDSAS site, it says
“After 5:00 pm CT on June 1, 2016, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement among the six UT System Medical Schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine, Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine, Texas Tech University HSC Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso and UNT-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. Only extraordinary circumstances warrant an exception to this policy. If this should occur, the Dean/Director of Admissions at the school wishing to extend an offer must receive approval from the Dean/Director of Admissions at the school where the applicant is holding a position BEFORE the offer is extended."

How likely is that exception? It seems unlikely, logically, but then again I've heard of people getting off the waitlist last minute (like days before school started, and they were already settling in in whatever other TX city they got accepted at). But also, this was a few years back so idk if this is a new policy?

And what is this mid-June timeframe people are referring to now that 6/1 has passed?

Also, is BCM responsible for at some point notifying everyone who does not get off the wait list that they were not accepted? Or are they only notifying people who are being accepted off the wait list?

The "mid June" deadline comes from the waitlist email, which says that acceptances are made until mid June, with the majority being in the later part of May. I'm not sure how strict this deadline is because people can still back out in July for whatever reason. I'm not sure what would happen in that case.

Also, I think "extraordinary circumstances" is something like "my spouse is going to school X and I was waitlisted there but currently accepted to school Y" or some other family or financial thing.

But is the mid-June wait list deadline only for those who did not already get an acceptance into another TX school?

I would think so since those who already have an admission in Texas would have lost all waitlists by default on June 1st?

Reactions: 1 user
I just called the admissions office...the class is still not full.

If their class isn't full yet, then their only option now is to fill the class with people who haven't been accepted at any other Texas med school. Maybe the rest of the class will be out of state only?

If their class isn't full yet, then their only option now is to fill the class with people who haven't been accepted at any other Texas med school. Maybe the rest of the class will be out of state only?
They take a lot of out of state, so I imagine that it will be OOS kiddos taking the remaining spots. It is hard to imagine someone could get into Baylor without getting into any other Texas school.

I just called the admissions office...the class is still not full.

I like this, but also, what the actual **** Baylor. Can y'all call some people? You literally have a list of candidates in the order you would want them.

I called to find out, and I asked about the class being full while I was at it. They confirmed that it is not full at this time, and we will be notified when it is...

I can't log into the portal either, but I think that's cause they may have switched it over to the current admission cycle (the banner says file completion/status check 2017). This may mean that today is the day that we'll get cut loose

I can't log into the portal either, but I think that's cause they may have switched it over to the current admission cycle (the banner says file completion/status check 2017). This may mean that today is the day that we'll get cut loose
I guess we'll find out soon enough!

And so it begins:

The 2016 medical school class is now complete, and with deep regret we were unable to offer you a position. We appreciated the opportunity to review your application, to have you here for an interview, and to discover your aspirations.

We trust that, if you have not already obtained admission to medical school, you will realize your goals in the future. Thank you for your interest in Baylor College of Medicine, and we wish you success in your career.

Sincerely,

Karen E. Johnson, M.D.
Associate Dean
Office of Medical School Admissions
Baylor College of Medicine

Jesus G. Vallejo, M.D.
Assistant Dean

And so it begins:

The 2016 medical school class is now complete, and with deep regret we were unable to offer you a position. We appreciated the opportunity to review your application, to have you here for an interview, and to discover your aspirations.

We trust that, if you have not already obtained admission to medical school, you will realize your goals in the future. Thank you for your interest in Baylor College of Medicine, and we wish you success in your career.

Sincerely,

Karen E. Johnson, M.D.
Associate Dean

Jesus G. Vallejo, M.D.
Assistant Dean
Samesies

Any current students here willing to let me PM and ask a couple questions about the program before my interview?