2015-2016 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary:

1-4. Census info (name, major, etc)

5. If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. 250word

6. From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English? 100char
7. In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? 400char
8. Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? (Y/N)
→ If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? 300word
9. If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. 300word
10. What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? 300word
11. Is there anything else you would like us to know? 300word

12-15. more census (parent's occupations, etc)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
I'll be an incoming MS1 student, so don't ask me any questions about the curriculum or facilities (or, god forbid, the wards). Kidding. Sort of.
I fell in love with Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (affectionately and inaccurately referred to as college of surgeons and surgeons around SDN) when I was far younger, and my affection has only increased during my application cycle, interview trail, and second look weekend. I'm thrilled to become a part of P&S, and I'd love to answer any questions that anyone has (or at the least refer you to someone who knows more than I do).

I've created an "information sheet" below, to try to summarize some key points about P&S (as you'll find on a few other threads, I'm sure). Good luck to everyone applying!

Stats [Source]
~7,800 applicants
~7,450 "applications considered"
~1,100 interviews (no in-state bias)
As per Columbia P&S Graduate, about 200 are accepted immediately, 700 waitlisted, and 100 rejected
~325 total acceptances (including off WL)
170 matriculated

Matriculating Class Statistics [source: @WedgeDawg]:
Median Undergraduate GPA: 3.85
Median MCAT Score: 36 (13/11/13 median section breakdowns)

2015-2016 Secondary Application (there is no screen)
  1. If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. - 250 words
  2. From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English?
  3. In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? - 400 characters
  4. Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? - 300 words
  5. If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. - 300 words
  6. What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? - 300 words
  7. Is there anything else you would like us to know? - 300 words
  8. Please describe your parents' occupations: - 100 char
*Note: prompt 7 is completely optional. Prompts 1, 2, 4, and 5 were also optional, although N/A was an acceptable response.

2014-2015 Secondary Application (there is no screen)

2014-2015 Important Dates*
First secondary: July 1st, 2014
First interview invites: August 18th-20th, 2014
First acceptance: February 11th, 2015 via phone call (portals updated within a couple days with email alert)
First waitlist: February 12th, 2015 via portal update (with email alert)

As per recent (5/5/15) phone calls to the admissions office, waitlist movement should occur by mid-to-late May.
*All dates have been obtained through SDN archives, though there is complete agreement with these dates and those published by P&S admissions online.

Update Letter Policy
Updates are accepted pre- and post-interview. All updates should be uploaded through the application portal. You should receive an email within a few days confirming that your update has been received. In addition, "Thank You Letters," should you choose to send them, should also be uploaded through this portal. [Source: interview day]

Curriculum
1.5 year condensed preclinical curriculum.
  • Preclinical grading is Pass/Fail [Source]
  • Clinicals are graded using a 4-tiered system: honors/high pass/pass/fail.
  • Lectures are non-mandatory and recorded; labs and small group activities are incorporated throughout the fundamental courses (and foundation selectives)
Interview
One faculty interview. Faculty interview is open-file.

Of Note
  • Columbia graduates are below the national mean with respect to post-graduate debt, although merit scholarships are reputed to be somewhat uncommon. That being said, the tuition is ~53,500 a year, and COL in NYC is no laughing matter. Check here for more details. Fortunately, the financial aid office is generous with need-based aid and, like I said, the average indebtedness for P&S grads is still below the national mean. Not bad when you consider everything else Columbia has to offer (utterly shameless comment from infatuated MS0)
  • Extensive on-campus student housing is offered to P&S students to help mitigate the cost of living in NYC
  • Columbia admissions and students extoll the P&S club as being the largest and most comprehensive student activities organization "in American medical education"
  • Student research opportunities at Columbia are virtually limitless, both with respect to mentors and to financial support. At second look weekend, we were told that every single person who applied for summer research funding the previous year (so summer of 2014) managed to receive a grant.
  • Official match list
  • Columbia P&S Facebook Page

Finally, I will probably periodically update this throughout the coming months, although if anyone has any details that they would specifically like me to add, feel free to comment.
Citation for format: the ever-informative @hellanutella ;)

As I said before, I'd be willing to answer as many questions as I can. Thankfully, there are several older P&S students who frequent SDN, and I'm sure they'll be along to help everyone out along the way. Once again, good luck to all applying!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone sell me on why Columbia as a dream/reach school over say Harvard, or other ultracompetitive schools?

Can someone sell me on why Columbia as a dream/reach school over say Harvard, or other ultracompetitive schools?
Columbia is a hub for passions outside of medicine as well as within. The extracuricullar volume of students at P&S exceeds or at the very least matches anywhere else. 3 full plays a year, numerous musical groups, 4 student clinics (possibly more since I've been there), etc, etc.

I'm a graduate of P&S, now a neurosurgical resident at Pitt. Happy to answer questions throughout the cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
I just found out about the Columbia-Bassett program and I'd love to hear more about it, if anyone here has any input.

Can anyone comment on the diversity and underserved areas near Columbia? I'm from California and have never been to the east coast.

Columbia is located in a primarily Hispanic neighborhood called Washington Heights. Approximately 60% of patients seen at the main hospital are Dominican. A neighboring hospital thats part of the system is in the Bronx. You get exposed to a lot of underserved populations. the clinics run by students focus on at risk populations including the dominican population (COSMO), the homeless (Harlem outreach called CHMP), iv drug users (CURON) and victims of torture seeking asylum in the us. There are other chances to work with homeless children, lbgt poulations, etc.

Reactions: 7 users
Can anyone comment on the diversity and underserved areas near Columbia? I'm from California and have never been to the east coast.
The area that the med school is in is largely Hispanic. Even advertisements around the area are in Spanish. The people there are also mostly low-income.

Reactions: 1 users
How is everyone feeling about Columbia vs. Cornell? They're two of my top choices. Looking for input from applicants and matriculates.

How is everyone feeling about Columbia vs. Cornell? They're two of my top choices. Looking for input from applicants and matriculates.
Both are fantastic schools and I'm sure matriculants at both schools also applied to the one that they didn't end up attending. Columbia has a more traditional teaching method (lectures, etc) while Cornell places a lot of emphasis on PBL. Both have amazing research facilities, but the NYP branches associated with them excel in different areas (but both are obviously very good all around). Columbia has the New York Psychiatric Institute, the Neurological Institute of New York, the Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, and others. Cornell has MSK, HSS, and is affiliated with Rockefeller University. Both are also in different areas. Cornell is (I believe) upper east side while Columbia is in Washington Heights near Harlem.

The smart move is to apply to both and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer?

Thoughts on including the summer after HS graduation/before freshman year? This was about 8 years ago for me so not all that relevant, but it was an interesting job.

Thoughts on including the summer after HS graduation/before freshman year? This was about 8 years ago for me so not all that relevant, but it was an interesting job.
I don't consider that as "during college," but I really don't think it'll matter if you put it. The fact that it's 8 years ago makes it matter even less

Super early for this question but hopefully someone can give me some input as I work through secondaries.

On the secondary from last year when it asks about how to pronounce your last name if it's complicated, are they literally just asking for a phonetic spelling or something more? It gives you 250 words so that seems like a ton of extra words for that question.

Super early for this question but hopefully someone can give me some input as I work through secondaries.

On the secondary from last year when it asks about how to pronounce your last name if it's complicated, are they literally just asking for a phonetic spelling or something more? It gives you 250 words so that seems like a ton of extra words for that question.
Don't give more than what is asked for.

I just gave a phonetic spelling of my name.

how do you people over think such simple things i just dont get it

how do you people over think such simple things i just dont get it
Well as someone on probationary status maybe you could take a pointer or two about thinking before you post stuff :shifty:

One of my top choices, applying with LizzyM of 74! Hoping to get at least a sniff of an II

So if you would like to be an incoming student as soon as you graduate college, you should apply at the near end of your junior year?

So if you would like to be an incoming student as soon as you graduate college, you should apply at the near end of your junior year?
yeah you should apply the summer after junior year but only if your app is strong. If not, you should take a gap year and wait.

deleted

Last edited:
@skooper what is considered strong? I'm a rising sophomore about to start as a med scribe, I volunteer at NYPH, and I'm VP of my school. How much research do I need ? How do you get published? Is race/ethnicity considered? First generation status? and would it be bad to take some of my pre req science courses over the summer, possibly at a different school? And how many times should you take the MCAT? And what is the LizzyM??

Sorry for so many questions. I'm completely lost and want to have some type of understanding for when the time comes to apply
nothing against you @AlphaBeta<3 but all of this information can be found throughout SDN via the search function. This thread is primarily for those applying to Columbia this cycle, including discussions of secondary prompts, interviews, etc. Much of what you are looking for will be found throughout general threads in the pre-med forum.

Reactions: 1 users
nothing against you @AlphaBeta<3 but all of this information can be found throughout SDN via the search function. This thread is primarily for those applying to Columbia this cycle, including discussions of secondary prompts, interviews, etc. Much of what you are looking for will be found throughout general threads in the pre-med forum.
Yeah you really need to just search this forum for every one of those questions and you will find so much information it will make your head hurt. Good luck! This is not just a premed version of CC...it's very different. You'll get used to it

Applying! Definitely one of my top choices. Good luck everyone!

What exactly is meant by collegiate extracurriculars? Just things that are specifically related to the undergraduate college (i.e.: student government, clubs, research if on campus)?
To be honest, I'm uncertain of the right answer for you. I came straight out of college, so all my activities were "collegiate," whether or not they were actually directly affiliated with the university.

Depending on whether you're a multi-gap year applicant or a straight-outta-college applicant, your answer will likely be different. Keep in mind that this question is clearly (imo) trying to get at whether you'd be an active member in P&S clubs or not.

Applying here out of state. Few points away from the median MCAT, but hoping the rest of my app carries its weight. Good luck yall.

Anyone else pre-writing based on last year's IIs?
If you go back and look at previous year's application threads, you'll notice that the questions don't change very much from year to year. Pre-writing answers for this secondary will save you a lot of time; even if you have to tweak it for length or content, you'll still be thankful for the extra preparation. Many people pre-write their secondaries every year based on the previous year's questions, and it's always recommended.

Also, just fyi regarding SDN shorthand, II= Interview Invite. You're talking about secondary applications, not interviews :)

Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? (Yes/No) If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)

Non-trad here. Would this include working while doing a post-bacc? Thanks.
If it were me, I would mention it (especially if it were my only employment experience), but be sure to specify exactly when you were working. Acknowledge that you weren't in undergrad, per se, but you were still a student at the time.

Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? (Yes/No) If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)

Non-trad here. Would this include working while doing a post-bacc? Thanks.

My guess...yes. Just specify.

Columbia recommends that applicants take both Physical Chemistry and Genetics/Developmental Biology if they have received AP credit for Chemistry and Biology. I have received AP credit for both Chemistry and Biology, but I do not want to take Physical Chemistry - thoughts? Has anyone with AP credit applied without having taken PChem?

Columbia recommends that applicants take both Physical Chemistry and Genetics/Developmental Biology if they have received AP credit for Chemistry and Biology. I have received AP credit for both Chemistry and Biology, but I do not want to take Physical Chemistry - thoughts? Has anyone with AP credit applied without having taken PChem?

You will be 100% fine if you don't take PChem, don't worry. As long as your scores in Orgo/Biochem are strong, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Is receiving a stipend to conduct full-time research over the summer considered working for compensation? If not, I could easily just focus on the summer I spent working retail and/or my TAing jobs, but thought I'd ask.

Are there any current or previous med students who were a part of the Columbia-Bassett program? I'd be really interested in hearing feedback on the program

+1

Prompts MD only (excluding some basics like major/minor):

If your name is often mispronounced, how do you pronounce it? What is your preferred name? (25 char)

If your last name is often mispronounced, how do you pronounce it? (25 char)

If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)

From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English?

In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? (400 char)

Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer?
If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)

What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? (300 words)

Is there anything else you would like us to know? (300 words)

Please describe your parents' occupations: (100 char)

Did anybody else receive this secondary before their primary application was verified??

Reactions: 2 users
I received the secondary before verification as well. Weird.

Best of luck everyone! Secondary also received

Just received my secondary. Also pre-verification.