2015-2016 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear prospective students

You surely should be worried and if possible, try to send him to a school where they teach, rather than ask us to google answers. And if you raise any questions, you are doomed. All the students are in this school because they were not able to find admission elsewhere. Our dream of becoming a doctor is bigger than the years of sufferings in the school and thus we are all stuck here.
Hmm...can anyone elaborate more?
I think this is a free forum and anyone who has an opinion of the quality, environment or issues of the school is free to speak out. I am located outside Singapore and there's no way to know how the school is like unless the insiders provide some honest opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think this is a free forum and anyone who has an opinion of the quality, environment or issues of the school is free to speak out. I am located outside Singapore and there's no way to know how the school is like unless the insiders provide some honest opinions.
Firstly as mentioned previously, its a very fast paced school- but that can be a good thing for many students. It just means you got to work hard all the time.
However, don't expect a fair system to evaluate your hardwork. Though there are infinite number of exams you take, your fate is decided not by your performance but by the subjective eyes of a faculty member. And because this is a small school without an active student body that raises student's voices- there's hardly anything one can do.
Also regarding the teaching strategy- please don't expect the Team LEAD to be like that you experience on the Applicant Day. Its a self learning school- without much mentoring/tutoring. So come here if you are self motivated, can learn from google, uptodate and medline. Its hard to imagine however, that a student can learn medicine by googling.
Every school has its problems, but the biggest problem I personally feel is that Duke NUS faculty is not open to any feedback, even though they send us a feedback survey every week. In short- if you don't have any other choice but to be a medicine student in this school- then this is the place for you. Stop complaining about the money, teaching, support- be happy that you are being given a degree (unless the school forces you to withdraw).

Reactions: 1 user

Many students at Duke-NUS hold MS and/or PhD degrees and graduated from reputable colleges, such as NUS, Cambridge, Stanford, Hopkins, MIT, and etc. They are well-qualified individuals and can definitely gain admission to other medical schools. Going through medical education takes efforts, discipline, and commitment. However, it is definitely doable. All medical schools require the individuals to be motivated with good self-study skills. You can't still expect the professors or clinical faculties to spoon-feed everything to you. From what I know, majority of the students at Duke-NUS are able to pass the exams with no problem. I also know a bit about the reasons why one of the students was advised to withdraw. However, I will not elaborate here on the forum. I believe he himself holds majority of responsibility. Nonetheless, my heart goes out to the students that were advised to withdraw from Duke-NUS. I am sure that this kind of experience must be difficult to go through. However, regardless of how difficult it might be, it is best to stay strong, forgive the past (yourself & others), and focus on the positive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
please don't expect the Team LEAD to be like that you experience on the Applicant Day.

It's interesting what you say about the Team LEAD sessions - for all the concerns I have about Duke-NUS, one of the things I'd liked was the Team LEAD session during my Applicant Day. In what way are the actual sessions different though? Is it that they're less engaging/interactive or are they simply few and far between?

Many students at Duke-NUS hold MS and/or PhD degrees and graduated from reputable colleges, such as NUS, Cambridge, Stanford, Hopkins, MIT, and etc. They are well-qualified individuals and can definitely gain admission to other medical schools. Going through medical education takes efforts, discipline, and commitment. However, it is definitely doable. All medical schools require the individuals to be motivated with good self-study skills. You can't still expect the professors or clinical faculties to spoon-feed everything to you. From what I know, majority of the students at Duke-NUS are able to passed the exams with no problem. I also know a bit about the reasons why one of the students was advised to withdraw. However, I will not elaborate here on the forum. I believe he himself holds majority of responsibility. Nonetheless, my heart goes out to the students that were advised to withdraw from Duke-NUS. I am sure that this kind of experience must be difficult to go through. However, regardless of how difficult it might be, it is best to stay strong and focus on the positive.
I absolutely agreed with the self-learning part as the students are adult learners. But I'm more worried abt the part of "targeting and failing students who displeased key senior faculty members". Any insiders care to comment on how political the school or the system is?

I think the TeamLead way of teaching which is also known as flipped class do require lots of self-study before and after class. The TeamLead session on Applicant day is just an example and much easier than actual medical class.

Many students at Duke-NUS hold MS and/or PhD degrees and graduated from reputable colleges, such as NUS, Cambridge, Stanford, Hopkins, MIT, and etc. They are well-qualified individuals and can definitely gain admission to other medical schools. Going through medical education takes efforts, discipline, and commitment. However, it is definitely doable. All medical schools require the individuals to be motivated with good self-study skills. You can't still expect the professors or clinical faculties to spoon-feed everything to you. From what I know, majority of the students at Duke-NUS are able to passed the exams with no problem. I also know a bit about the reasons why one of the students was advised to withdraw. However, I will not elaborate here on the forum. I believe he himself holds majority of responsibility. Nonetheless, my heart goes out to the students that were advised to withdraw from Duke-NUS. I am sure that this kind of experience must be difficult to go through. However, regardless of how difficult it might be, it is best to stay strong, forgive the past (yourself & others), and focus on the positive.
LOL. Even if you and your family forgive you, the Singapore MOH does not.

Not many Duke-NUS students have MS or PhD. Most only have basic degree.

Some senior key Duke-NUS faculty demand students to appear at their every beck and call, throwing everything down to pander to the faculty's whim and fancy. If the student chooses to attend lessons for students (which are scheduled by Duke-NUS) instead of appearing before the faculty, the student receives a very bad evaluation by the faculty and may fail the course. While the student is at lesson, faculty continuously contacts and pressurises the student to leave during lesson, disrupting lesson and causing the student to offend other faculty. I have personally witnessed these happened to my classmates. The school accepted faculty's negative evaluation without question. Students' words ignored.

Students end up sacrificing their education in order to keep faculty happy and keep themselves on safe ground. Those few students who attempted to stand up against faculty suffered dire consequences.

Has happened before, and is still happening now.

As a matter of fact, the current situation could worsen as Duke-NUS continues to promote these faculty to increasingly higher positions rather than take them to task. The school would do anything for faculty.

Duke-NUS trains sycophants, not doctors.

Last edited:

Some senior key Duke-NUS faculty demand students to appear at their every beck and call, throwing everything down to pander to the faculty's whim and fancy. If the student chooses to attend lessons for students (which are scheduled by Duke-NUS) instead of appearing before the faculty, the student receives a very bad evaluation by the faculty and may fail the course. While the student is at lesson, faculty continuously contacts and pressurises the student to leave during lesson, disrupting lesson and causing the student to offend other faculty. I have personally witnessed these happened to my classmates. The school accepted faculty's negative evaluation without question. Students' words ignored.

Students end up sacrificing their education in order to keep faculty happy and keep themselves on safe ground. Those few students who attempted to stand up against faculty suffered dire consequences.

As a matter of fact, the current situation could worsen as Duke-NUS continues to promote these faculty to increasingly higher positions rather than take them to task. The school would do anything for faculty.

That's horrible. Does the school tell the students who those senior faculty are or give instructions on how they should behave before them?

hey, i actually went for the dec applicant day.

Ah, me too. Went for Dec applicant day and kind of stuck in a limbo now.
Can't figure out to apply for other things or continue to wait.
I've emailed the school though and they said we will hear by April if we are accepted or not...
I guess it's cos the last applicant's day is in March (https://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/sites/default/files/Admissions/Applicant Day Dates.pdf), as previously mentioned. :/
Hope we'll get a favourable reply soon. In the meantime, it's somewhat comforting to know I'm not alone. :p

That's horrible. Does the school tell the students who those senior faculty are or give instructions on how they should behave before them?
Nope. By the time the students figure out, it's too late for them.

Dear prospective students

You surely should be worried and if possible, try to send him to a school where they teach, rather than ask us to google answers. And if you raise any questions, you are doomed. All the students are in this school because they were not able to find admission elsewhere. Our dream of becoming a doctor is bigger than the years of sufferings in the school and thus we are all stuck here.
As us to google answers, doomed if raise any questions - so true.

Firstly as mentioned previously, its a very fast paced school- but that can be a good thing for many students. It just means you got to work hard all the time.
However, don't expect a fair system to evaluate your hardwork. Though there are infinite number of exams you take, your fate is decided not by your performance but by the subjective eyes of a faculty member. And because this is a small school without an active student body that raises student's voices- there's hardly anything one can do.
Also regarding the teaching strategy- please don't expect the Team LEAD to be like that you experience on the Applicant Day. Its a self learning school- without much mentoring/tutoring. So come here if you are self motivated, can learn from google, uptodate and medline. Its hard to imagine however, that a student can learn medicine by googling.
Every school has its problems, but the biggest problem I personally feel is that Duke NUS faculty is not open to any feedback, even though they send us a feedback survey every week. In short- if you don't have any other choice but to be a medicine student in this school- then this is the place for you. Stop complaining about the money, teaching, support- be happy that you are being given a degree (unless the school forces you to withdraw).
Duke NUS faculty is not open to any feedback - absolutely.

I absolutely agreed with the self-learning part as the students are adult learners. But I'm more worried abt the part of "targeting and failing students who displeased key senior faculty members". Any insiders care to comment on how political the school or the system is?
How political? - very, even though it is totally inappropriate in an educational institution.

Yes this is what happened to some of us who had to withdraw. Otherwise we would have to compromise our education and personal values while facing further abuse and the constant threat of being expelled at any moment.

Once blacklisted by the school, you are put down for remediation regardless of how well you perform in your examinations and other courses. Had a classmate who scored above the class average yet was marked for remediation at every examination. This was without any indication by the school of the grounds for remediation. Apparently students have to figure out the areas for remediation and carry out the remediation by themselves without guidance from the school or faculty.

Dear all,

In light of the recent content here, I want to add a few points for those who are applying to Duke-NUS to assist prospective students and their parents/family in making an educated decision when it comes to Duke-NUS.

Every medical school has its share of problems and simultaneously, every medical school has appealing features. Whether or not you choose to apply to and then study at Duke-NUS (or any other medical school for the matter) is a life-changing decision. Life-changing decisions like these require extensive thought process and critical judgment. Doing your due research for information on the school is the first and most important step in that direction. Your information should arise from varied sources- be it forums, the school website or word-of-mouth. Remember that your information also should not be limited to a single perspective; consider alternative narratives and weigh them against one another. When you come to appraising the quality of your information, you would then assess its source, look at whether it makes sense and corroborate it with other sources. Failure to do the above steps in gathering and assessing high-quality information can lead to a lapse in judgement and a bad decision made.

I hope you will agree with me that there is no better way to get accurate, personal and honest information other than from the horse’s mouth. Thus, here are some ways to increase the quality of information you get on Duke-NUS:

- Talk to the students. If you are in Singapore, drop by the campus on a weekday afternoon and chances are you’ll see students at the level 2 and level 3 library area. Talk to a number and variety of students of course. Also, you should clarify doubts or hearsay about the school with them too. If you are based overseas, touch base online with students (I think there’s a page on the Duke-NUS website which lists the email addresses of some students for the purpose of answering queries)

- Attend the open houses (as with all open houses, you will largely hear the positive narrative so do be aware of that limitation).

- Make clarifications with those people who posted complaints on this forum. They bring their side of the story which is important for your consideration as well.

This list is not exhaustive (there are only 3 points, mind you), but I hope you see that there are ways for you to get proper information. In the end, you hold the scales up and tally the scores. You may eventually decide to apply, or decide against it. It does not matter to me. It matters to me that you have arrived at that decision by condemning ignorance with investigation.

Additionally, on the topic of these kinds of forums. Online forums are useful for you to get a quick appraisal on the subject matter and pick out any red flags. However there are certain caveats I hope you are cognizant of. Some themes/elements of open forums in general are: anonymity, second/third- hand information, extreme perspectives, reporting bias, and the presence of trolls, hate-mongers, multiple account holders, etc. Taken together, these factors decrease the fidelity of the information you obtain and impair good decision making. Therefore, forums are by no means the one stop portal for wisdom.

To draw an example, you may have heard from a friend or read somewhere that Singapore hangs people publicly for petty offences, and vow never to step foot in this lush tropical country. Fair enough. Yet if you came, sat at a local hawker centre and asked ANY Singaporean about the so called weekly public hangings for trivial offences, you will likely hear, “Siao ah?! Where you hear got such thing one?” (Meaning “are you crazy?! What is your source, and I fervently question its fidelity!”). You may then find peace and decide to enjoy this food paradise of a country with relish. I hope you see the logic of this analogy; that obtaining primary, accurate and representative data eradicates misconceptions, and hence bad decisions.

Finally, the jousting may certainly continue, but I sincerely hope those who truly seek to make an informed decision will get there eventually. But then again, I’m yet another anonymous forum dweller. Do what resonates best with your logic and values. May peace be with you all.

P.S: To the rest of the students who used to post here to discuss their application status/ interview dates, I implore you to continue regular communication here; don’t be deterred by the high volume of back and forth in this thread, if you are/were.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Siao ah?! Where you hear got such thing one?”

I totally love the Singlish.

On a separate note, I have a seemingly random question for all current students. Guess it's fine since this is a message board after all.

I have been accepted for the coming August intake. I am hesitating if I should buy a laptop or desktop now. I have a functioning-reasonably 4-year-old laptop. I am highly tempted to buy a gaming desktop now (part of my childhood dream, yeah, judge me).

My question for all current students:

1. What are the chances that my gaming desktop will not end up as a dust collector?

2. Do you think a good laptop is essential to survive Duke-NUS?

Thank you.

Cheers,
pm_me_your_mcat

My question for all current students:

1. What are the chances that my gaming desktop will not end up as a dust collector?

2. Do you think a good laptop is essential to survive Duke-NUS?

Singlish is simple and succinct! A must-learn for all who come to Singapore.

To answer your questions:

1) I would suggest that you keep your 4 y/o laptop. My macbook is 5 y/o and going strong. There wouldn't be much time to spend hours on gaming once to enter school. Perhaps you could squeeze in 1 hour a day of gaming, but tests are frequent, and self-study material seem inifinte. Hence, continue playing games on your laptop. The money could be well spent on a weekend getaway to Bintan haha.

2) Laptops are an integral part of our curriculum. You will need a laptop almost every day in school because notes and lectures are all found on the school's website. TeamLEAD is also open-universe (meaning you can search any source for your answer) - laptops (and internet) would come in very handy.

Congrats on your acceptance! See you in school!

you’ll see students at the level 2 and level 3 library area.
Love how you edited your previous writing of "level 1 and 2 library area". You aren't awfully familiar with Duke-NUS now are you? Mice for laboratory experiments live on level 1, not students. Or perhaps you meant that students are like mice in experiments while at Duke-NUS? You're not alone in that thought. A fair number of students share that sentiment too.

- Talk to the students. If you are in Singapore, drop by the campus on a weekday afternoon and chances are you’ll see students at the level 2 and level 3 library area. Talk to a number and variety of students of course. Also, you should clarify doubts or hearsay about the school with them too. If you are based overseas, touch base online with students (I think there’s a page on the Duke-NUS website which lists the email addresses of some students for the purpose of answering queries)

- Attend the open houses (as with all open houses, you will largely hear the positive narrative so do be aware of that limitation).

- Make clarifications with those people who posted complaints on this forum. They bring their side of the story which is important for your consideration as well.

Wouldn't the students whose email addresses are listed publicly on Duke-NUS website be biased in favour of the school? That's why their email addresses are chosen by Duke-NUS to be put on the school's website?

I personally believe there should be some truth behind any complaints or whistle-blowing. It has to be important enough for those people to spend precious time and energy voicing out in this forum. The problems raised thus far sound like they are more deeply-seated than sour grape attitudes from prospective applicants whose applications to Duke-NUS were rejected.

As a prospective medical student myself, I'd be wary of overly-positive portrayals of any school. You can call me a cynic, but things which sound too good to be true are likely not true at all (been hearing too many unwarranted sales pitches that I'm honestly quite sick of them!). There can be several unconscious cognitive biases at play. Guarding against falling into those traps can be difficult. What I do is to constantly remind myself to keep an open mind instead of only paying attention to what I would like to hear (though it would be awesome to hear an immediate acceptance from all schools that I applied to!). And I'd go with both my head and my gut feel.

There are alarm bells ringing in my head and there's a dreadful feeling in my gut as I read about this school. Entrusting myself to Duke-NUS does not seem like a good decision. There are some legitimate serious concerns here which I can't bring myself to sweep under the carpet.

How to find students on campus to talk to who had withdrawn or who had been dismissed from Duke-NUS? Does Duke-NUS list email addresses of students who withdraw or were dismissed?

I agree, first-hand accounts from the students affected will be best. It seems like the current students here do not know the numbers of students who withdrew or were dismissed. Does anybody know and is willing to share the information?

Hi guys, December interviewee here. Anybody else hasn't gotten any news about their application?

Hi guys, December interviewee here. Anybody else hasn't gotten any news about their application?
Me, still waiting here. I hope they reply at least by the end of April. It's difficult to wait any longer.

@adderall @blockfun
Hi, January interviewee here. I've just been accepted! :)
I just made this account because I wanted to tell you guys that THERE IS STILL HOPE! Don't give up just yet! I know that the wait is excruciating, but hang in there! All the best :)

Reactions: 1 users
As a prospective medical student myself, I'd be wary of overly-positive portrayals of any school. You can call me a cynic, but things which sound too good to be true are likely not true at all (been hearing too many unwarranted sales pitches that I'm honestly quite sick of them!). There can be several unconscious cognitive biases at play. Guarding against falling into those traps can be difficult. What I do is to constantly remind myself to keep an open mind instead of only paying attention to what I would like to hear (though it would be awesome to hear an immediate acceptance from all schools that I applied to!). And I'd go with both my head and my gut feel.

There are alarm bells ringing in my head and there's a dreadful feeling in my gut as I read about this school. Entrusting myself to Duke-NUS does not seem like a good decision. There are some legitimate serious concerns here which I can't bring myself to sweep under the carpet.
I definitely feel the same way. Though interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be any complaints in any of the application threads from previous years. Even so, I don't think I'll applying here. I don't see the point in running the risk of being forced to withdrawal and still having to pay back the government bond.

@blockfun @simplyhappyyy Thanks for the encouragement :) Judging from previous years' trend, we'll have 17 days at most left to wait. I really wish I could share the same level of optimism!

Me, still waiting here. I hope they reply at least by the end of April. It's difficult to wait any longer.

I called them this morning to ask about the application status. Maybe it'll be faster to call than to wait for the letter...
Although they did say they only just mailed it out and I haven't received it in my snail mail yet.

I called them this morning to ask about the application status. Maybe it'll be faster to call than to wait for the letter...
Although they did say they only just mailed it out and I haven't received it in my snail mail yet.
So the class is already full? All students have been accepted?
Anyone interview on March has been accepted? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
It is by snail mail, not by email?
My acceptance offer was first sent via email, with hard copies sent via snail mail. To those still waiting, don't lose hope! I waited for about 4 months before hearing back from them. All the best!

Reactions: 1 users
Wait so the last batch of offer letters were sent out? So whoever didn't get an email is rejected?

Me too..... Feeling nervous.....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've heard from my uni classmate who's a local student dismissed from this medical school months after the end of final year. After completing everything in medical school left with no degree cert, no job, nothing. And having to deal with an entire government bond alone. I'd say this school is not a good choice.

Has anyone heard anything?
A google group has been created for incoming students, but probably not everyone has joined yet. I know how agonizing the uncertainties can be. I'll post on the forum if there are any updates. All the best!

Oh that's terrible. But how can the school dismiss a student months after the final year? Did he not pass the final exam?
I've heard from my uni classmate who's a local student dismissed from this medical school months after the end of final year. After completing everything in medical school left with no degree cert, no job, nothing. And having to deal with an entire government bond alone. I'd say this school is not a good choice.

A google group has been created for incoming students, but probably not everyone has joined yet. I know how agonizing the uncertainties can be. I'll post on the forum if there are any updates. All the best!

Any idea how many people have joined?

Oh that's terrible. But how can the school dismiss a student months after the final year? Did he not pass the final exam?
My uni classmate passed the final exam and all other exams including some US exams the students have to take.

An engineering senior of mine graduated from Duke NUS, but was fired from the medical service a few months into work for incompetence. The senior said that engineering grads are the favored students in the school who get priority over other students. Better faculty/tutor matching, more clinicals of choice, easier to get pass school exams... Guess the preferential treatment of engineering grads in the school doesn't extend beyond graduation. At least this senior got a degree cert. But now I have to rethink about applying to this school... It doesn't seem such an attractive option any longer...

You can still apply, then decide from the choices you get.

I graduated from this place a few years back. There's certainly truth in the things said here, but it has to be put in perspective.

Singapore's a small place. The tutors you'll get are most likely the ones that you will work for after graduation. Its hard to get accepted overseas for a good training position, so while studying here, you should think about how to start building connections for the future. Its just common sense that you don't offend the person who will later employ you or work with you. There's science and academics in medicine but you will realize (very soon) after working that you can't work alone without the help of seniors. Connections are important. This is the case in Singapore, Asia, as well as in the US. So, if you're the type who likes to voice out problems with the school (which there many are since its a new school), you will need to be more mindful of how you do it and who you offend.

With regards to training, you will have to be independent to do well. Either that, or you find out what you need to know from seniors/shadowing etc, and actively try to learn yourself from what resources you can find. Most of my learning was through video recordings of lectures at Duke in Durham, books and internet. This is not the traditional med school where you will do well if you pay attention in class. I didn't like Teamlead. If you are the type who likes to argue then you may like it. If you think TeamLead is about discussions with resolution and curiosities satisfied you may be disappointed.

Good thing for the new batches is that there are people who have gone through your path and can help you.

Reactions: 2 users